The author in thee

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I have quite a few short stories that I've previously posted on this site, and on Deviant Art. I also have a Halo fanfic that I've written the first chapter of, but is currently on hiatus (however, thanks to one person showing faith in me and praising me as being better than the general crap people on Fanfiction.net, I am inspired to start writing it again soon when I get the free time to do so...). Anyway, here are the stories, in alphabetical order by title. As some were written later than others, I developed my writing style more, so some are better than others, though I hope that they're all pretty decent nevertheless... :p

Oh, and don't be put off by some of the titles - they may sound 'Twilighty', but they're anything but. I actually write good stories, for example. And I avoid 'purple prose' too.

She watched from a distance as he walked past. She?d noticed him every day for weeks, always walking on, never looking at her, never speaking. Never showing any sign that he cared. But she cared. She couldn?t understand why, but since the first moment she?d saw him she had felt a connection, something deep and mysterious that she would never be able to break. It was strange, yet somehow, satisfying. She waited, every day in vain, for him to say something, or do something, to show he noticed her too. But it never happened. She was alone.

He noticed in the corner of his eye. The strange girl with the gothic attire, staring at him, as she did every day. Since he?d first realised how she would always watch him as he passed he?d tried desperately to pluck up the courage to talk to her. But the words would never come. He resigned himself, every day, to walking on, hoping that she would call to him, hoping that she would make the first move. But she never did.

The best things in life come to those who wait. But sometimes, waiting isn?t enough. We need to take life and live each day as though it?s our last, as though we?ll never have these opportunities and hopes and dreams again.

All it took, was a kiss.

He stopped, and looked around. Their eyes met. As he lingered, she rose to meet him, walking slowly towards him. They smiled, briefly, and as she leaned forward he could smell the lavender perfume and feel her breath on his cheek. He leaned in, closer. Their lips brushed, and tingled, as he softly kissed her bottom lip. She smiled again, and let her lips touch his, taking his hands in hers, and kissing him fully and with such deep passion and love.

All love takes, is a kiss.
He walked along the street. All was quiet. Cars coming both ways, people passing by, oblivious. She watched.

He took a step. Stopped. Looked around. Nothing. He walked on. Stepped into the road. That was when the car hit.

"What the bloody hell were you playing at?" The driver of the van was pretty angry. This was to be expected, of course. After all, some guy had just stepped out into the road, right into his path. It was a miracle that Rob hadn't been hurt. What was strange, though, was that a dent had suddenly appeared right in the middle of the van, as though it had hit something much harder than a random person. And that was even stranger, too. Rob had no marks, no bruises, no cuts, nothing. It was like the van hadn't touched him. But then, how would it have stopped like that? The driver sure as hell didn't put the brakes on, not that quickly. He was going at 40mph, after all. True, it was a 30mph zone, but white van men don't care about speed, after all. Rob thought back to that moment. He knew, but he wasn't going to tell. It was strange enough as it was, telling people would just make them think he was crazy. And he knew he wasn't crazy. Was he?

Emma ran. She didn't stop, but just kept on running. She shouldn't have been there, she shouldn't have interfered. But she had. Why? What had possessed her to do that? Was it him? She'd fought her feelings ever since she'd set eyes on him, but she couldn't escape the truth. She knew she had to, that she couldn't put him in that danger, but she couldn't fight any more. And it scared her. Even more than when she'd seen the van, she was scared to tell him. Scared to face the facts. How could she explain, after all? She'd stopped a speeding van and saved his life, and then vanished. She wasn't sure he recognised her. Who remembers people you see in passing anyway? But she remembered him. And she'd saved him. Surely that had to count for something.

It was on campus when he'd first seen her. Rob had been in the union, getting a quick lunch, when he noticed the girl with the red hair. He couldn't help but look at her beautiful face, the long fiery hair and the hazel eyes. She looked straight past him, and that was that. But it wasn't. Not for him. He'd tried to avoid her, but everywhere he went, she was there. Never looking at him, but always there. No matter where he went, she would always be near. He was drawn in, and he couldn't help it. It was like he was falling into a deep hole that he couldn't escape from, and it was terrifying. And yet, he didn't want it to stop. No matter what he did, he always wanted to see her. And then came the van. And somehow, miraculously, she was there. She'd put out a hand and stopped the van, and that was impossible, but it had happened. And then she was gone. Nothing but a quick smile, before she ran. Rob knew there was something mysterious about her, something abnormal. He never saw her speak to anyone, never saw her interact in any way with anybody else. Who was she?

Late. Rob had decided he officially hated his tutor. 5pm and he?d barely left university. Winter was closing in, the nights were getting longer, and he still had a long walk to go before home. He was still shaken from the day's events. Nearly getting killed does that to a person, true, but that wasn't why he was shaken. It was her. He hadn't seen her anywhere after the crash, and she'd been on his mind all day. It troubled him. He didn't even know her name and she'd saved his life, and then fled without even giving him a chance to say thanks. He wondered about this as he walked down the poorly lit street to his home... That was when the two men following him decided to strike.

She saw. Emma had decided after the crash to follow Rob, without his knowledge. She couldn't have said why, save for an uneasy feeling that something else would happen to him. And now it seemed she was to be proven right. She watched as the two men followed Rob down the street, keeping their distance in case he turned. She saw the knives they carried, one each, as they held them behind their backs, ready to strike. She saw when they grabbed him and pushed him into the alley. She followed.

"Give us your stuff, now!" Clichéd words, but true nonetheless. The two men who had followed Rob all the way from campus weren't exactly renowned among their friends for their use of witty and smart language. Then again, they weren't the sort to hang around with that kind of person. They held out the knives and pushed Rob to the ground. That was the kind of person they were. As he shouted for help, they grabbed his bag and coat and started rifling through for valuables. Exactly what valuables they hoped to find in a bag full of coursework was unclear, but it was no pressing concern, unlike the wallet hidden in an inner coat pocket. Nobody noticed a red haired girl creep silently toward them.

Emma knew that Rob was in danger. She had to act fast. Not the most difficult opponents to face, but still, they were tough. Two thugs living on the mean streets of inner-city Leeds aren't exactly easy to beat, but then again, she wasn't like most girls. She analysed the situation. A dark haired young man lay on the floor in front of two big men with knives. Rob and his attackers, of course. He called out for help, as they searched his bag. Coursework, and nothing more. As one of the two men searched through Rob's coat pockets, she struck. Coming up from behind she grabbed the head of the nearest assailant, and with a sickening crack she twisted it to the side. He fell to the ground, and didn't get up again. The second wasn't so easy. As she went towards him he dodged and grabbed her in an arm lock. Bringing his knife to her throat, she was helpless.

Rob saw his first attacker fall in front of him, and looked up to see the girl who'd saved him earlier in an arm lock with the other thug preparing to slit her throat. Thinking fast, Rob grabbed his fallen enemy's weapon and lunged towards the other. There was a sound like cutting into a piece of meat, then he noticed the blood dripping from where he'd stabbed the man. It was then that the grip on the girl loosened and her attacker fell to the floor, without a whisper of a noise. He'd saved her life. Looked like he'd returned the favour after all.

Emma felt a huge sense of relief as the man who would have killed her fell dead to the ground. It was only then she realised she shouldn't have interfered again. What was it about this guy? Every time she was near him, her emotions were a riot and she couldn't focus. There was no way she could have left him to his fate. And now he'd saved her own life. It seemed he'd repaid the debt from earlier, but she was in too deep now. There was nothing for it. She had to run again, and this time she couldn't come back. Emotions had nothing to do with it. She wasn't safe, it wasn't safe for him to be associated with her. She'd only hurt him. Coming to university was an attempt to fit in, to be normal. Now she saw it had worked too well. She'd found Rob, and then it had all gone wrong. And that wasn't all. The smell. She had to leave now, the smell was too much. She had to go before she lost control.

Rob called after her as she ran. "Wait! Where are you going?" She ignored him. He ran after her, but she'd gone further through the alleys, leading further into the maze. It was a residential area, near campus, but like so many old houses there were back alleys, tunnels and all sorts that formed a maze a world away from the nearby streets the students of Leeds lived in. He followed as much as he could, but she was fast. Much too fast. It wasn't long before he lost her. And in turn, he realised he was lost himself. Looking around, he saw an open doorway, with a light on. It couldn't be that easy, surely? Looking inside, he saw an empty room, walls completely bare, part of an old house that had long been abandoned even by squatters. The girl who had saved him, the mysterious red haired wonder, was standing in the centre of the room. He walked in.

"Who are you?" Rob had wondered what he would say to her for a long time, but never dreamed of such astonishing circumstances. He knew his words sounded cliché and silly, but at this point he didn't care.
"You followed me." It wasn't a question. "I didn't think you'd manage it."
"What's that supposed to mean?"
"I knew you were special, but to have followed me here? Either you're much more than I thought, or you're very, very, lucky."
"You didn't answer my question."
"Smart too. You're right, of course. I didn't. My name's Emma. And you're Robert."
"Just Rob. How did you know that? We've never spoken."
Emma looked amused, but inside she was burning. She didn't want this conversation, and yet there was no way out. Maybe it would make things easier in the long run if she faced it now.
"I know we've not spoken. But I noticed you before. I followed you."
Now it was Rob's turn to be amused. "I know you were following me. I kept seeing you everywhere I went. Sorry if this sounds rude, but I guess it was pretty stalker-ish of you."
"I'm sorry, I just wanted to know more about you. It's best if I just explain. I saw you on campus once, and there was something about you that drew me in. I don't know what, I don't understand myself, but it was there and I can't stay away. And yes, I know that sounds stalker-ish and I'm sorry. But that's the truth, plain and simple."

Rob was puzzled now. And yet, there was something about her that drew him in too. He wasn't sure what it was, but it seemed she felt the same. "So, what, this is all because you feel something about me? That doesn't even make sense."
"Look, I'm sorry, I know it doesn't make sense, but that's just how it is. Things don't make sense for me, they never have. Alright?"
"Fine. I accept what you're saying, and I can see where you're coming from with this. While we're being honest, when I first saw you I felt exactly the same. And I sure as hell don't understand either. And now this is getting pretty confusing, so how about we sort things out now, eh?"

Emma couldn't explain any of it to herself. The speech coming from her lips was out of synch with her brain, and it seemed Rob felt the same way. Their conversation didn't make sense. Nothing else did either, come to think of it. She had ideas, sure, but none of them seemed to match what she was feeling. And it scared her.
"Fine, then let?s pretend this isn?t happening."
"Sure. And no, because it is happening. Whatever ?it? is. I just want some answers." Rob sounded defiant. "We'll start with what happened this morning. Let's assume for a minute that we are both now having rational thoughts, that this isn't a totally surreal experience and that we are having a normal conversation like old friends in a normal setting. That still doesn't explain what happened this morning."
"What are you talking about?" Rob realised Emma was being defensive. That was interesting.
"You stopped a van going at 40mph, give or take, with a single hand. You ran away like you were never there, and now you're being so evasive. I mean, you ran so fast, I've never seen anyone move like that."
"I am not being evasive..."
"Yes, you are. Who are you, Emma? Really?"
"I'm no-one..."
"You are someone. Please, tell me."

She paused. Should she tell him? Maybe. But then again, would it benefit him to know? And the smell. It had reached her even here. How could it have travelled so far, so quickly? She had to go now.
"Alright. I'll tell you. But not here." Emma knew she wouldn't be able to fob him off any more. She had to tell him, but this wasn't the time.
"Where then? And when?"
"Tomorrow. There's a place in Millennium Square. Meet me there tomorrow for lunch, at midday, and I promise I'll tell you what you want to know.
"So what? This is going to be like a date or something? And then you'll tell me what I want to know?"
"If you like."
"How will I know where to go? It's not as if there?s only one cafe in the square..."
"You'll see me. I'll be waiting."

And with that, she left him to his thoughts. At least she ran at a normal speed this time, he supposed.
Midday. She was waiting at a table outside a restaurant in Millennium Square when he arrived. Was now the right moment to regret what she had said the night before? Or should she tell him? There were no easy answers. And over the course of the night, lying awake in the darkness, she had realised something, that could change everything. It was too late now, of course. She'd said she would tell him everything. And so she would.
"Hi." Easiest way to start, she supposed.
"Hi yourself. So, are you ready to tell me whatever's going on?"
"You know, I lay awake all night thinking that to myself. But I did promise, didn't I?"
"Yes, Emma. You did." It felt odd to Rob to use her name. And yet, somehow, it fitted. He sat down opposite her.
"Alright then. You saw me yesterday, there's not much point in dragging this out. I'm not like other people."
"Well that's damn certain."
"I suppose. I'll just give you the basics first. You can make your own conclusion from that."
"Fair enough."
She hesitated. Was it really worth telling him everything, breaking down the wall she'd so carefully built up over all this time? But of course she already knew the answer to that. For him, it was.
"I'm super fast. I can run faster than any person you've ever seen, you know that. And I have super strength too. I stopped that van dead in the road to save your life."
"Yeah, I kind of guessed that. You're not telling me you're one of the X-Men, are you? What?s your last name then, Frost?" He laughed a little at his own joke, then stopped when he saw Emma?s face.
"Don't be stupid. But that isn't all I can do. I have advanced senses, eidetic memory, and these aren't things just anyone has. I'm special, and that's what scares me."
"Why? Surely those are good things, right? Odd, true, but still good to have?" Rob was pleased she had these ?powers?. Fine. If she was happy then that was alright. Except it wasn't.

"That isn't all that's special about me, Rob. I killed a man last night, and I know it was to save your life. But what you don't know is the smell. I could smell their blood. Even in that house, I could still smell it. And that's what scares me most. Not the memory, or the speed, or any of that. It's the blood. Not just the smell either?"

"You're kidding, right?" He didn't believe her. And yet, how could he not? Surely, after seeing what he had the day before, he had to realise this was true, it had to be, there was no other explanation.
"What do you want me to say, Rob? That this is all a big joke, ha-ha, I'm not really special, I can't smell people's blood? I wish I could but I can't. I'm sorry, but that's how I am."
"So you're telling me you're a - "
"Don't say it."
"Well, what else am I supposed to call you? You're telling me that you smell people's blood. What other conclusion can I draw from that? I notice it's pretty sunny today, and we're sitting outside, how does that work?"
"The stories don't always get their facts right. There's no problems religious symbols, I can go out in the sun and so on. And yes, I do like garlic."
"So that's it? You've told me this, what do you expect me to do now? How do you know I won't tell anyone?"
"Because you won't want people thinking you're crazy. Think about it. We only exist in books, films, games, old legends that nobody even gives any kind of crap about. We aren't real. You start blabbing about what I just told you and people will start asking questions. Do you really want the men in white coats at the door?"
Rob thought for a moment. "Not really. But you just said 'we'. There are more of you?"
"Of course. I'm not the only one. That would be pretty damn silly, right?"
"I suppose."

Emma thought that was it. She reckoned he'd took it better than expected. But there was one more thing Rob wanted to ask.
"Those men last night. The people who attacked me. What did you do with them?"
"How do you know I did anything?"
"Because I went back there. I'd just killed someone, and I don't care that there were no witnesses. Apart from you, I mean. I still killed someone. It hasn't left my mind since it happened, I mean, can you really expect it to?"
"Not really. What's your point?"
"I went back and the bodies were gone. Did you feed?"
"What do you expect me to say?"
"The truth."
"Alright then. Yes, I did. Happy?"
"Do you need to drink blood? Or is it just a habit?"
"Rob..."
"Answer the question, Emma."

She hesitated. "Alright, I don't have to drink blood. It nourishes us much more than anything else, and without it we get weak. But no, I don't have to, but when I go without for a long time the cravings get stronger regardless."
"Am I in danger? Who else have you killed to feed?"
"I can hold it in..."
"Emma, please."
"I didn't want to get involved. I came to Leeds to start again, to try and live a normal life. University, then a job, and then repeat it all again when I had to."
"Just answer the bloody question!"
"Fine! I didn't want you involved because I thought I'd be putting you in danger. As it happens you're good enough at getting in danger yourself without my help. And no, I don't kill to feed. I've had to steal blood from banks at the hospital, I've been breaking into the medical students' labs on campus to get the blood I need, and last night I did something I swore I wouldn't do again."
"What do you mean, 'again'?"
"In London, before I came here, I used to target people. Thugs. Muggers. Anyone who was putting kind, decent people in danger. I felt I may as well do some good if I'm going to kill people. I never asked for this, but I don't have a choice. No-one can hold it in forever. You must hate me..." As she finished, she began to cry, sitting silently as she stared at Rob, tears dripping from her beautiful eyes.

Rob couldn't bear to see her like this. He took her hand across the table. "I don't hate you. I suppose it must have been difficult for you..."
"Oh yeah, that's right. It was difficult. You have no idea..." Emma snorted as she tried to stop the tears.
"But I don't hate you. Not one bit."

As he said this, he leant across the table and took her face in his hands. His lips touched hers and he softly kissed her, knowing that whatever monster she thought she was, he didn't care. All he cared about was how much he loved her, and how he would help her overcome her troubles, no matter what the cost.
Ecstasy. That was the only way to describe this feeling. As they kissed she pushed him back against the wall. Lips moved furiously as they fought for dominance, revelling in the moment and enjoying the untamed passion of young love. As he held her close her hand moved to one side, and took hold of the long, sharp blade. He carried on, lost in the moment, oblivious to the knife in her hand, moving slowly towards him. She pulled back slightly and smiled at him, a smile of death. Then she slowly slid the knife deep into his heart and watched as drops of blood glistened at the edges of her weapon. It didn?t take long for him to die. As his body slumped against the wall, she ran her finger along the edge of the blade and held it to her mouth, tasting the blood she?d spilled. A few minutes passed. A final kiss, on the forehead, and she was gone. The bloodless corpse remained. She was satisfied.
They sat close, not quite touching, but close enough to be able to whisper, saying such words that only the most tender and caring of lovers will dare to utter. As they sat there, waiting, she became bold and moved her head closer to his, a sign that he should follow. He did the same and as his mouth moved closer to hers, she softly kissed his lower lip, slowly turning to face him fully, and pulling his head slowly forward to her. He stayed still, savouring the moment, before gently stroking her beautiful black hair and looking deep into her eyes. Then he began to kiss her fully, with such passion and love that the stars wept for their romance. As they sat like that, together, they thought of their love, and how they cared so much for one another, and rejoiced in their good fortune. She moved away. Taking him by the hand, they walked together to the bed and lay down, touching, arm to arm, hand to hand, lip to lip, body to body. Just lying there, content to be together. They knew their love would always survive, and they were happy.
Silence. He looked around. Crowds upon crowds standing still. Waiting. Ahead a row of uniforms stood. All was still. The waiting continued.

Ahead of the crowds the uniforms started to walk. They advanced slowly as the crowds began to shout. The chants and jeers rose in volume until not even the hardest of hearing could fail to understand. The uniforms walked, and the crowds stayed still.

They saw. The crowds waited, calling to their foe, daring them to come closer. Some had weapons, some went without. Some fought with fists, some with words. Some were peaceful and some were angry. It didn?t matter. As they waited for their enemy to arrive they were all in the same place. They were all there to follow the same great purpose.

The uniforms reached them. The crowds began to break as they were pushed back. The great and noble purpose lost as the fights began. But it wasn?t the angry and the ignorant who fought. They had waited for their fate, and now this was their reward for such patience.

They fought back. The uniforms had begun their assault, and now the waiting masses fought for their freedom. Outnumbered and afraid they began to break. One man watched.

He?d been there, unable to escape the coming storm. Watching as the two great forces battled for control of the streets, fought for supremacy. He?d seen the uniforms as they began to hurt and maim their foe to preserve their cause. He?d observed the crowds as they tried to protect their freedom. And then, he died.

It was a uniform who saw him. He?d been there on the edge, neither taking part nor running. The man who had no place. Neither a uniform nor part of the crowd, he?d waited. And he?d watched.

The uniform ran and struck him down. Not a tough blow, but a blow nonetheless. It had caused his heart to burst, his life to flutter and fail right there on that cold hard ground. The man who watched, watched no more.

The crowds saw. They stopped the fighting and turned. They waited. Then they left. And they remembered.

The uniforms saw. They too waited and remembered. They covered it up. An accident, they said. An unfortunate mishap, a casualty of war. And the crowds heard, and cried ?No! He was the greatest of us all. And he shall be remembered.?

And so it was, that he was remembered, and came to usher a new age, and become a beacon of hope and change for those who desired freedom. His life was worth so little, and yet caused so much. And they all watched. They all remembered.
Bright. So bright. Lights flash past, psychedelic, mystifying, astounding, mesmerising, all go past in the blink of an eye. But the eye doesn?t blink. Eyes are wide, as if pinned open. Visions flash, past, present, future. All is melded into one, then split into a dozen strands of life, each one turning and curling around within your sight. Music plays, a crescendo of clashing sounds, creating a masterpiece of contrasting form and style. A chorus sings hymns in some forgotten language of old. You don?t understand, you can?t. You merely listen, you simply stare, enraptured by the display across your mind, tattooed visions playing an engaging symphony of light within your soul.

Darkness falls. The visions stop. Replaced with more, they continue to play. The lights aren?t as bright, but the music plays within your head like before. It gets faster. Tempo becomes upbeat, the words you hear become warped and twisted. The lights become darker and duller, purple and green and black across your view. Rain falls from nowhere and lightning strikes from within your imagination. Your eyes are spirals in a crystal frame, as your sight moves to the outside. You see yourself melting, eyes like jelly and legs and arms dripping to the ground. But the ground is no longer there. As the surroundings vanish so do you, bit by bit, piece by piece. You start to disappear. The lights fade, steady, the music starts to quieten. Sleep.

Your slumber ends with more visions, horrific in their nature, dark in their delights. They torment you. Screaming pierces your ears, fire and ice exploding into being all around you. You see the people near you ripped apart by vicious figures, but what they are you cannot tell. Blood sprays into the air, a fountain both beautiful and surreal in its very nature. Some lands on you, all over. The figures are drawn towards you, licking the drops of blood from your naked body, dragging their claws against your skin. But your skin is no longer there. Flesh creeps and muscles tighten, as the creatures, no longer mere figures but horrific forms that belong only in your darkest nightmares, rip your body in two and pick apart the bones and organs. You scream but there?s no sound. Your tongue is gone, your mouth sealed tight, sewn with a needle and thread. Your eyes are pinned open once more, there?s no escape from the nightmare. The pain is unbearable. You feel like a million knives are being plunged into every part of you. The screams of those around you suddenly stops. Silence.

You wake once more, alone. A corridor stretches in front of you. At the end is a mirror. You walk slowly towards it and take a look at your image inside the black glass. Normality. The pain has stopped, the creatures of your nightmare have gone. But it?s not over. The walls drip, blood seeping from cracks and faces staring in the dread gore that runs down each and every facade. The mirror no longer shows your image, but that of a beast, more vile and disturbing than those which saw to your earlier torture. You run back along the corridor, away from these angry things, but reach a dead end. There?s no way out. You feel a sharp pain in your chest and look down. Blood drips once more, but no longer from the walls. It drips from you. You fall to your knees, and with barely a sigh, you become still.

An hour passes. The door is kicked down and your lover finds your corpse alone on the ground. A knife with your hand on the hilt is embedded deep within your heart. Meth is a hell of a drug.

Repetition. That was the worst part. Every day just felt the same, the same routines over and over again. Trying to find a way out. Trying to survive. For Tom, it was nothing like his life so far. He?d always been used to everything changing every day, new assignments and operations to plan, recruits to train, and orders changing all the time. True, military life was all about routine. But at least they varied. Not like this. He couldn?t bear it any more.

Tom-B292. That was how they knew him. They who had looked up to him ever since joining the outfit. He was their mentor, their role model - and now he would be their leader. The younger Spartans had trained under Tom for years and now their commander was missing, presumed dead. They were stuck in a strange place, something the mysterious doctor kept referring to as a ?Dyson Sphere?, whatever the hell that was. Every day they?d spent trying to escape, or looking for food and shelter and warmth. Something to help keep them all alive. And there were the frozen bodies too. The other SPARTAN-IIIs, trapped in cryogenic storage, but neither dead nor alive. From what Doctor Halsey had explained to them, the other Spartans knew that their comrades-in-arms were in Slipspace. Incredible, but true. It made no sense to any of them, but then again, they were just soldiers.

Looking at the others as Chief Petty Officer Mendez, now acting CO, tried to get a fire going, Tom thought back to the days when he was still a child, before he?d ever heard of the SPARTAN project. It had been a long way from here, the ?shield world? that these (what had Halsey called them? ?Forerunners?) had built, and the cave the group was now hiding in. Uncertain of the local flora and fauna, the group had made their way through a series of valleys in the mountains of this world, hiding during the day and travelling at night, attempting to keep ahead in case any of the Covenant had succeeded in following them through the portal they had used to get here. Not knowing, of course, that there were no more Covenant to follow them. Not after Kurt?s sacrifice.

Tom was reminded of the camaraderie he had felt back then, back in his early days. He?d been born on a distant world in the Outer Colonies. Tom had visited so many worlds since then, he could barely remember it now. While he was barely more than a child, his homeworld had been attacked by the Covenant. He?d watched through the windows of a UNSC ship as Covenant cruisers and destroyers had swarmed the planet. He?d seen the bulbous dropships as they flew down to the surface, filled with vicious Brutes and Elites, Grunts and Jackals, fully prepared for the massacre they were about to inflict upon a terrified populace. Tom had been there when the Covenant ships opened fire, raining down plasma and fire on the place he had known as home. When the onslaught had ended, and the evacuation ships were making their way out of the system to safety, nothing was left but glass and ash. Tom knew he would never forget that day. No matter how much he could remember of his world or his family and friends, he would never lose his memories of that simple brutality. It was what drove him on through the hard times, what kept him resolute. He?d spent days after landing on Arcadia, on a safe planet, searching among his fellow refugees, asking everyone he saw if they could help him find his parents. But on the fourth day he?d given up. He realised they?d never even made it off the planet, unlike him. A fear that was confirmed when the man from the government came to see him.

Tom had been put in a small room with a group of other children, somewhere in the refugee camp on Arcadia. He recognised one or two, people he?d seen and played with back home. They were all refugees like him, some from his own world, others from different places. Looking around, Tom knew that they all had one thing in common. They were all orphans of the Covenant. Remembering those days, he thought back to the words that had been spoken. Being told that they would all have a choice, to get revenge on the creatures responsible for their families deaths. To become the best that they could be, to fight with honour and to do a great service for all humankind. Tom had been spurred by those words, but not as much as another. He could recall seeing her for the first time, and noticing a kindred spirit among these strange children and the emotionless soldiers. Comparing their differences, and their similarities. He, grubby and snot-nosed, with messy black hair, standing tall despite everything he?d been through. Barely six years old, yet head and shoulders above most of the other kids in the room. A stark contrast to her, - clean, small and pale with short and tidy black locks and a tiny figure, barely noticeable among the group of children listening intently to the big man in the shiny armour. Though they were so different, Tom knew they were the ones most inspired by what the armoured man was saying. By the soldiers standing there with him. And by their memories of what the Covenant had done to them, and those they had loved. They would be the ones to fight the hardest when they had the chance. The ones who would truly understand what it meant to be a SPARTAN.

Tom would never forget the moment he first met Lucy. And everything they?d been through since. But looking back at the past couldn?t be enough. He knew, all that mattered now? was the future.

Blood Lust was originally meant to be part of a larger project, a couple of years ago, but I abandoned it after a short while. It's in two parts as it's a longer piece. I'm particularly proud of Protest and Psychedelic Nightmare, and I reckon they show off my style of writing quite well from the time I wrote them (sometime in late 2009). I've written all of these in the past three years, and kept them all on my laptop all this time, mainly because I could never bear to delete them, though I guess eventually time will claim them as it has done so many of my other projects in the past.

As always, constructive criticism is welcomed, as I'm always looking to improve (especially as I'm working on a game script and three short screenplays in the near future...).

MrShadowzs

Apr 5, 2009
hmmmm, nice little short story i wrote after listening to too much smashing pumpkins

I walked home like any other day and waited an abnormally long time at the street corner, just waiting for her to come. After about 5 minuets, Lucy emerged from her house, and while she turned to lock her door I walked back to my house which is right across the street from hers.
Lucy Johnson was a tall blond with a slight tan, she always wore the expensive clothing, and in style and all that stuff, her parents were very rich so she got whatever she wanted, but she was still a nice girl. She was in the same grade as me and we had been going to the same school for 13 years, and there was only a few occasions when I can think of when we exchanged word of any nature. As for me, well my names not important, just know I live across the street form Lucy and I love her.
I?ve always been to shy to actually talk to her thou, so I admire her from afar. That night I was looking out my window and saw the light come on in Lucy?s room. The shades were closed but I saw her shadow, she was simply walking around her room in her pajamas, but still she was very beautiful, and I decided I had to try and find a way to tell her how I felt.
So then I had an idea, I claimed up the big oak tree (I?m not actually sure if it was an oak tree, but I just assume that?s what all trees are) in Lucy?s front yard. This was quite difficult considering I was also carrying my guitar up with me. I had written a love song for her called, Lucy My One and Only, once I had gotten to the top and was outside her window I began to sing and play.
Oh Lucy
My one and only
I love you more then
The sun in the sky
And more then
Anyone else will every love you
My singing actually wasn?t that bad, my guitar was a little lacking, but I think I got my message across, except that Lucy never opened her window to see me, after about half an hour I just got down, almost falling once, and went home.
That night I was looking out my window, when the light came on in Lucy?s room her shades were still closed, but I could still see her shadow walking around, this gave me new found inspiration.
So the next day I got back up in the tree with my guitar and sang, but again she didn?t come out. This went on for about a week, until one day Lucy actually opened her window while I was singing, and I nearly fell out of the tree, she looked right at me with her big, glassy, blue eyes they were so blue they sky looked pale in comparison, but I could also see that there was shock in her eyes and she closed her window almost instantly. I stopped and just sat there for a minute, regained myself, and got down form the tree.
That night on light came on in Lucy?s room and I was so depressed. The next day I got a knock at the door, I opened it to find a police officer standing there, I asked if I could help him. He said he had gotten a call from a neighbor that I had been stalking a girl who lived near by. I told him I had no clue what he was talking about. He said that it was okay and that he just wanted to bring me down to the station and ask me a few questions. I refused, bid him good day and shut they door, but the officer stopped it with his hand. I told him to let go of my door.
I tried to punch him, bad move, he stopped it and was easily able to overpower me he laid me on the floor and told me I was under arrest for assaulting a cop. I then started to scream that I was innocent, and he would be hearing from my lawyer, problem being I didn?t have one. He then led me out of my house.
There were a lot of people out on my front lawn now all just staring at me, making a path for the cop. I looked around at all of them, how could this have happened I didn?t want it to end up like this. I hung my head low as I was led through the crowed of people mumbling to each other. I raised my head for a brief second and saw Lucy standing at the back of the crowd, she was just as tall and blond and beautiful.
Then it hit me maybe Lucy had turned me in, of course she did, when she saw me outside her window she must have called the cops on me. I wasn?t angry at her, I could never be but I was sad. I raised my head again and looked right at Lucy, expecting her to be smirking that her stalker was being taken away, but she wasn?t smirking, or smiling for that matter, she was frowning. Then me and her made eye contact again, just like yesterday outside her window, but instead of shock in her eyes I saw something else, pity, regret, no not that but something.
Then she did the last thing I expected, she smiled and waved to me. I was shocked, petrified and so happy. So as smooth as possible I turned just enough for the cop not to protest but still just enough to wave my own hand. She laughed, she actually laughed, I smiled. The cop told me to get in the car I obeyed now, and as the car pulled away I looked back a saw Lucy still waving but doing it nonchalantly, and still smiling. I began singing a little edited version of the Smashing Pumpkins to myself and smiling.
Lucy my one and only
As they?re dragging me away
I swear I saw her raise her hand and wave
Goodbye

and another that took like 15mins to write
?GET AWAY? the man yelled he searched the ground for a weapon, something anything. He found a small rock and threw it at the man in the clown suit, the man simple moved to the side to avoid the weak throw. The man in the suit had red, fire truck red, curly hair, and a striped jumpsuit that was to big for him he wore clown makeup as well, face white and the big red smile and of course the red nose. The make up almost looked like blood to the man as he tried to get to his feet and run away form the clown man, to flee from the clown man. The clown man had yelled at him and told him to stop, but the man just kept on running. Clowns, how he hated clowns with their squirting flowers and their rubber chickens but most of all he hated the makeup, the makeup to hid the true fact that they where all a bunch of drunks who couldn?t stand they people they entertained.
The man finally managed to get to his feet and he was clumsily running now almost tripping over himself.
?Please sir stop? the clown yelled after him, but the man just kept running, running away from the clown. He turned down an alley only to find himself face to face with a brick wall. The man fell to his knees, the clown would surely get him now and kick him with his big red shoes and then he would pull an ax out of his bight striped suit and chop the mans head off, oh he was sure of it he was positive that?s what would happen. The clown did catch up to him he was panting but with his make up on it still looked like the clown was smiling and awful red smile. Then the clown unbuttoned the top button on his suit and started to pull something out, finally the man snapped.
?NO I DON?T WANT TO DIE? he yelled in the air head raised back ?I WANT TO LIVE, I WANT TO HUG MY SON, AND KISS MY WIFE OH I WANT TO LIVE.?
?Well good luck with that sir? said the clown in a voice you would not be surprised to hear coming form a supervisor ?but you might want you wallet back.? The man looked at the clown to see he was holding a normal brown leather wallet. The man carefully took the wallet from the clown and looked inside. Sure enough there was his ID and, well what do yah know all the money that had been in there before, he found all his credit cards and pictures all in the exact same place.
?Well I better be going? said the clown ?you have a nice day sir.? The clown started to walk down the ally.
?Thank you very much? the man yelled to him. The clown raised his hand as if to say any time and with that was gone. The man stood there for a few minutes, I guess I overreacted, he thought, and with a smile on his face the man walked back on to the sidewalk. You know that clown guy wasn?t so scary, he thought, and it was so nice of him to return my wallet, you know maybe AJ would like a clown at his birthday next month. The man full of optimism and joy crossed to street to his office building, drowned in his thoughts he did not see the yellow cab or hear its horn. The man looked to his left, seconds to late to see the front end of the cab connect with his left hip. The man, who had just almost been ?killed? by a crazy clown, with a new appreciation for the world was thrown in the air and landed 20 feet away, he died of a broken spine. He saw one last thing before he hit the ground though; the cab was being driven by a man in a clown suit.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
I'm going to add something else as well as the clusterfuck of stories I have two posts before this one. It was something I did solely for this forum, but I never really carried on with it. It was going to be a collaborative thing, where I wrote each chapter depending on the popular consensus of people on the forums, but it never really took off (not for lack of interest, people were pretty intrigued, but the sheer range of ideas people spouted was too much and I couldn't pick anything good without missing out on so many other ideas that would have worked). Anyway, the first chapter, which I did complete, is here in all its glory...

Reg had a pretty boring life. He lived in a boring little semi-detached house. He drove a boring car. He had a boring wife, a boring job, and a boring hobby. He collected stamps, which is probably the most boring hobby to have. He wanted a bit of fun and excitement. He was an accountant, so naturally excitement was hardly going to just appear out of nowhere. That?s what he thought?

Reg was going to be late for work. He was meant to be at the office for nine and it was already ten to. He ate a quick breakfast, downed his coffee and almost burned his mouth, kissed his wife on the cheek, and drove off. He turned on the radio. Traffic reports. Rush hour. No way was Reg going to make it to work before nine now. He?d be lucky to get in for half past, at this rate. Hard luck, he supposed. He just hoped the managers didn?t notice, or care. Why would anyone care about Reg? He was the most nondescript man around. The others in the office barely ever spoke to him. The clients just treated him like any other boring little clerk. Nobody would notice if he was late.

He turned up a little after half past nine. The secretary looked up as he walked into the building where he worked. Then his head bent back down to the newspaper. Nobody in the office particularly cared when he walked in, slightly out of breath, and headed to his desk. He turned on the computer. He did his job. Filed some reports. Read some letters. Drank his coffee. Nothing ever changed, he thought. Every day, the same old routine.

Five floors down, a man entered the lobby. Engrossed in the crossword, the secretary didn?t notice him. He walked to the elevator. The doors opened. He got in. He pressed a button. The doors closed. The man waited.

On the fifth floor, Reg was taking a quick lunch break when the elevator doors opened, and a man wearing a long black coat walked into the office. The man took a single, brief glance at Reg, and started to walk towards him. Reg had no idea what was going on. He supposed this man was a client, perhaps. But clients rarely came straight to the main office. He watched as the man in black kept walking, around the desks, past the manager?s door and around the water cooler. He stopped by Reg?s desk.
?Reginald Turpin??
Reg was confused, and it showed on his face and in his voice. ?Um, yes? How can I help you??
?I have been sent here to inform you that something of great importance to you personally is going to happen soon.?
Now Reg was more than just confused. Nothing seemed to be making any kind of sense. ?What do you mean? Who are you??
?I have been requested to inform you that this event will take place at exactly twelve forty-two this afternoon.?
Reg looked at the clock on the opposite wall. The man?s eyes, he noticed, never left him. It was already twelve fifteen now. He looked back at the man. ?What?s going to happen, then??
?At that time, you will die.? And that was all. No emotion, no feelings of any sort were evident in the man?s voice. Just cold, resolute tones that suggested the man didn?t even care about the fact that he had told somebody, to the minute, when they would die.

?What? How can you say that? Who are you? Tell me who you are!? Reg was outraged. He couldn?t believe that this man would say something as patently absurd as that. ?What do you mean, I?m going to die? How? When? If this is some kind of joke??
?It?s no joke, I can assure you. At twelve forty-two today you will die. I?m afraid I cannot give details, save that it will involve a motor vehicle. But let me make this clear, you cannot prevent this. It is a fixed moment in time and there is nothing you, nor I, nor anyone can do to prevent it.?
Reg wanted proof. He?d asked for something exciting to happen in his life, but this was too much. There was something about the man in black that suggested he was telling the truth, though what that was Reg couldn?t tell. However, he wanted to know exactly how the man knew what he did. ?How do you know what?s going to happen? What will I do then??
?You?ll try to run. I can?t say more because I cannot interfere. But I can tell you this. You will die. That is all. You will run, and then you will die.?
And with that the man left. He walked back to the elevator, travelled down to the lobby, and walked out. Reg watched him leave through the window, dumbstruck. He realised that he shouldn?t run. If he did then wouldn?t he be doing exactly what the man had predicted? He?d just be tempting fate. He had to stay put.

In the end, temptation proved too much to resist. Reg couldn?t help it. At twelve thirty-five he told his manager he was going out for a cigarette. At twelve thirty-eight he was in the lobby, passing the bored secretary and exiting through the main doors. At twelve forty-one, he began to run. He decided not to drive, since the man had mentioned that his death would involve a motor vehicle. He never saw the van coming around the corner.

By twelve forty-two, Reg was dead.

Just down the road, next to a computer repair shop, stood the man in black. He held a small box, like a voice recorder, to his mouth and said, slowly, ?This is Echo reporting, case subject zero-four-two. Timeline will proceed as standard. Task successful, returning to HQ immediately. Request return to original time-zone as per standard.? And with that, he walked off into the distance.

When the paramedics arrived they said it was a tragic accident. Reg?s friends and family were informed. Nobody who had seen him ever thought again about the man in black.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I write fan fiction mostly, and host it here [http://www.fanfiction.net/~cheesus333]. It would mean a lot to me if someone could read a couple of stories and give a little feedback. Thank you :)

I write fan fiction because I have a lot of trouble coming up with good, original ideas for settings, stories, characters etc. I can usually nail one of them, but linking them together is hard for me.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Phlakes said:
long sniiiiiip
Quite well written... if a bit banal, though I'm not drawn to such an abstract style. I'm more of the intellectual (as opposed to visceral) type in terms of subject matter.

And with that in mind...

(To those who have read the war related threads, I'm a Second Punic War buff, so here's an ending sketch from a fictionalisation of it... just effectively one long conversation.)

Peace

Publius and I surveyed the battlefield before us. His face was set in a grim mask as we looked at the thousands upon thousands of dead, no few of them Romans. I had never seen so many dead bodies in one place before. The milites priores (the ones who were still alive at least) were taking head counts from their maniples. From my own command of just shy of three thousand, the decuriones and tribunes had reported fifty-four dead from the equites along with a hundred or so further wounded all told, while there were another eighty-one deaths from among the ranks of the Italian alae. Masinissa?s Numidians, all six-thousand of them, were similarly bloodied, or not as the case probably was. Suffice to say, among the cavalry arm, our losses were nigh on negligible. The same could hardly be said of anyone else, though.
The afternoon turned to evening, and Publius and the Hetairoi finally retired. Indeed, I am not sure who uttered or considered it first, but I realised that day how true it was: second to a field of battle lost, the saddest sight was that of a field of battle won. Among us, I knew my heart was heavy, for all that the war was over and won by Rome and her soldiers, and even the loud and brash Silanus was subdued, the only sound that we heard: the dulled ?clack? that our horses made as they walked along the dry ground of eastern Lybia. Moments after we arrived at our camp, I saw the funeral pyres grow, the smoke filling the sky, blotting out the light of the emerging stars.
Late into the evening, we were still up, discussing our next course of action. Publius now had free reign in virtually all Carthaginianterritory, but I felt that he had had enough of the pillaging, for it would serve no purpose any longer. The logical move that we finally agreed on (in reality, we all tacitly agreed it from the moment we entered the marquee) was to transfer the army to the gates of Carthage and wait for the inevitable Punic surrender.
"We'll move out in two days' time," Publius announced to the assembled officers.
"Two? Why two? Why not now?" Lentulus asked.
"We need time for the news of Hannibal's defeat to take hold among the Carthaginian citizenry, and I do not wish to the men to forget this day, this battle... for the rest of their lives."
I was a little taken aback by this, and judging from the reaction of the others, they were too, even Drusus.
"This is not about my victory, brothers. It is about the cost of war, to Rome as well as to Carthage. I have lost a cousin and many a good friend over the course of these hostilities, as have you all. Carthage will realise this as well, and at least for us, the war is over. They will need to fight for many years to come, just to survive, if I read the Senate's intentions correctly. For all the enmity between our city and theirs, we must not make enemies of them in perpetuity, it would destroy us as sure as it would destroy them, even if theirs is not hand that deals the fatal blow. We have had our fill of war for almost twenty. Let us have peace, now, to prepare ourselves for the next war we will fight. Enemies of Rome are many enough to be easy to find, and quickly will they stir themselves to strike us. Our victory will attract the eyes of the powerful and influential beyond our shores, and those enemies will regard our new empire with hunger. Let us be sure that we offer Carthage no further reason to be one of them.
"Excuse me."
We watched in silence as he retired.
Just before the dawn, we discovered the extent of death: twenty-four hundred and seventy Roman dead, with a further four and a half thousand wounded to one degree or another, which still left us with an army that exceeded thirty-six thousand combat worthy men. The Carthaginian losses were so great that any number would carry no significance at this stage.

Two days later, true to his word, we took the camp down and made our march to Carthage with twenty-three thousand troops. Masinissa returned to Kirtha to ensure that his new kingdom was still there, some subtle hints from Drusus, Publius and I to the extent that he might need to deal with Syphax?s disillusioned supporters had him quickly on his way back to his holdings. The remaining two legions took the wounded and prisoners back to Utica.
As we marched with the main column, all around us settlements of all sizes that we passed were filled (rather ironically) with a feeling of total emptiness. Unnatural silence haunted me as we marched through some towns which were completely devoid of people, and those people that we did see fled at the sight of us, though the men had strict orders not to break away to raid. On the morning of the fifth day of our journey, we sighted the Punic capical and made camp. The troops spent the evening foraging the surrounding area, even though we were already well provisioned from looting Hannibal's camp after Zama, and it came as little surprise that there was nothing of note collected. What little Carthage had was already within her walls.
The following morning, I woke early, and took a turma of cavalry out to see if anything was going on around the city. No sooner had we left after the second hour, than we saw a small group of riders making their way towards us, slowly. They were led by Hannibal, and they were unarmed but for some ceremonial looking daggers.
"Stay here, Servius, I'll be able to deal with this," I muttered to the decurion, and he held back, closely watching us with his command.
Kicking my horse to a canter, I rode towards the approaching Carthaginians, raising my hand in parley. Paces short of each other, both sides stopped. I kept my silence while Hannibal regarded for a few moments.
"Would you grant me an audience with Scipio, Laelius?" he asked.
"He grants his own audiences," I replied, "It is not for me to say aye or nay to matters of his undertakings."
"I do not believe that you, who have been with my adversary for the duration of this war in comradeship and brotherhood in arms both, would have nothing to say in protest against my convening with him. Are you so low down in his company that you cannot speak for him?"
I looked at him for a moment seeing his stoic face but hearing his smirk, and then I laughed.
"You have no need to bait me, Lord Barca," I smiled, "Well do I know my place in Scipio's company, I am not so low in his company as he is high in mine. We are a strange pairing of men, but where I need not speak for him, he need not speak for me."
"Presently, for whom do you speak?" it appeared as though he was enjoying this as much as I was.
"Myself, of course, need you ask?"
"Then what say you of my desire to speak with him?"
"What have I to say at all? I could regard it as little more than one man's wish to speak to another man, and what objection could I provide to justify your delay?"
"And yet you delay."
"And yours was the question with which the delay resulted."
"Though said question would have been adequately satisfied by a single word of acceptance or denial."
"But of such a question from a man of your stature, any response would require more than such a single word from a man of my stature, even if I am your enemy."
"However, men such as us are defined and recalled for what we do. What we say will fall by the wayside and be forgotten before this year is done."
"Quite true, and how much does that sadden and anger you?"
To that he had no response, and I nodded to him, smiling sadly, because what he said was true, and I believed it. Nudging my horse forward, I closed the gap between us and turned so we were facing the same direction.
"You are as talented in word-craft as you are in war-craft," I said, and I could see that my proximity was starting to trouble his escort, "You must wonder."
"What must I wonder?" he asked as we rode towards the Roman camp together.
"Should Scipio have been born of Carthage or you of Rome, you as master and Scipio as prodigy, how the world would tremble beneath the sound of first your name and then his."
"Do you seek to flatter me? You mention my name first, as though your comrade would surpass me."
"Well he has, hasn?t he?"
"How?"
"He stands victor, while you... the vanquished. But no, I merely give deference to your greater experience, and of course your age."
"Why? How many years has he?"
"He will be thirty-four this month."
Hannibal was genuinely taken aback by this.
"He took Carthago Nova when he was five-and-twenty," he whispered to himself.
"Twenty-four, but that is beside the point. Be that as it may, you were but twenty-seven when you took supreme command of your forces in Iberia, and took Saguntum. And you had the audacity to invade the Italian homeland from the north. How many victories did you win for your home against mine?"
"Countless... Ticinus, Trebbia, Trasimene, Cannae, Ager Falernus, Geronium, long ago did I lose count of the victories I scored against Roman legions. Dozens, perhaps."
"And yet, Scipio has scored but six. Seven if you include my victory, but who am I to compare myself to you and him? Like all of his solders, though, I can name each of his victories: Carthago Nova; Baecula; Ilipa; Utica; Bagrades; and Zama. You have by far the more victories and the more magnificent of them: why, then, did you lose? Or rather: how?"
He looked at me, appraising me once again.
"I know not what to make of you, Laelius," his voice was terse, "You earnestly put me on a throne of gold, offer me a dais and crown, only for me to discover them made of lead covered with a pretty dust."
"What have I said that is not true?"
I received no reply for a few moments as he considered my question.
"You are my enemy, and you must wish to see me dead, so why do you exalt me, even above Scipio?"
"Ah, now you have said something that puts me in a difficult position. Why should I wish to see you dead? From this conversing between you and me, I have little, if any, reason to see you dead. For while you and I may be enemies, what is to stop me from admiring you or respecting you. You are clearly worthy and deserving of it, even from so grudging a foes as me. Surely you must realise how reverently your name is spoken in Rome."
"With great fear, I?d hope."
"Yes, quite so, but reverently nonetheless. And yes, I do exalt you greatly, for you deserve that as well, but above Scipio? I?m afraid that I do not. Compared as commanders of men on a field of battle, you are definitely more prolific, and I?m sure history will record you as the father of tactics, comparable to the likes of Pyrrhus and Alexander. But in a full theatre of war... that is a different matter altogether. Regardless, with your victories against us, never again will Rome view an enemy in such a condescending manner."
"I did not think that was ever viewed with any condescension."
"Of course, you could not see to Sicily. Before Ticinus, plans were already in motion to invade Africa. Everyone thought that you would never set foot in Gaul, let alone Italy. But as with all lessons, they must be harsh to be learnt well. And you provided us with several of them."
"It seems as though my best student was among them," he was bitter, and I could hardly blame him.
"And have you not wondered how the world would be if he really was your student? In Rome, the messages tell me that he bears the title of 'the Roman Hannibal' among the populace. How would he fare as Scipio amongst the Carthaginians?"
"Like all things, that would depend."
"On what? Money, power, influence, politics and popularity, I would imagine. But come, dear enemy, the war is all but over, and I will not hold you ransom over what you may or may not say. I like to believe I am above such pettiness."
"All you have mentioned would contribute greatly to whether Scipio and I would be colleagues or rivals, but I believe that were he and I to be generals of a nation, there would be civil, we would each be too ambitious for the the other?s existence to be permissible."
"And who would this subsequent war?"
"Sixteen years of war have left me cynical of political systems, Laelius, so there is no necessity in baiting me. This would be my answer: no one would win, for by your own admission, I am as brilliant a general as the world has ever seen, and your Scipio is good enough to be more without my shadow than within. Ultimately, there would be no victor, only the vanquished: the nation that we claim to serve."
Now it was my turn to be taken aback by the candour of his reply, and I bit back a response (rather a diplomatic answer, indeed).
"When one giant walks the land, the ground trembles beneath his very step," I gave him a wry smile, "When two giants walk the land, there is no ground upon which to step."
"Obviously, you are better at word-craft than me."
"It matters not, Hannibal Barca, for the world will surely forget of what we spoke this day."

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
I only really do small exerts, mainly because I'm practising my writing skills at the moment. Feel free to critique and make suggestions.

There all pretty short, just because I get as a far a general idea then hit a blank.

The barren wastelands unfold for miles, until meeting the mountains and alien terrain on the horizon. A wisp of dust sweeps across the plains. Shadows fall as the sun hovers in the sky, blanketing the ground in a warm wave of heat. As the evening light fades, a new sight blares into focus. The small corporate city lights up. The distant sound of vehicles and ships rings across the plains from the small oasis of civilization. In the distant, many miles away, a huge figure stands majestically in the wasteland. The rusting corpse of a crashed space shuttle, entrenched in a hundred meter deep crater, bits of debris littering the trail where it slide to its demise. The gaping holes in the ships side, looted for their worth years ago, creaking rumbles out of the dead ship as the metal strains and contorts in the heat.

The sun shone through the dust clouds, slowly drifting in the light wind. A tree in the distance swayed a little, shadows being cast across the grassland below. The soft rattle of metal clanged from beyond the hill. The horizon was broken by a figure making it's way across the raised ground. It lifted the iron visor, sunken blue eyes surveyed the land before them. The dark pupils scanning left and right. The man raised an armoured hand and removed the helmet. His hand fell to the side, dropping the helmet to the floor with a dull thud. His tunic waved in the wind, the bright blues and golds rippling over the smooth metal cuirass. The towering man fell to his knee's. The scene before him was unlike any other he had seen. A single tear followed the contours of his worn face and disappeared under his mouth.

A blistering heat washed over the drab wasteland, charred remains of animals lay scattered across the cracked earth, their bones blackend with ash. The Sunlight licked over the Rangers dusty brown trench-coat, billowing in the wind. He stood, perfectly still, surveying the view before him. He spat, rested his hand on the holster of his pistol and moved steadily forwards. Around him lay miles of desolate wasteland, not a living creature for as far as the eye could see. Yet the bleak ghost town before him was un-nerving. The ruined remains of the old wooden buildings lay scattered and burned from the great fires. The Ranger made his way along the street, his eye's scanning left and right. At the end of the dirt road he stopped. His eye's rested upon a decayed building and what lay inside. His fingers gripped the magnum, flexing as his grip tightend. As his gaze lifted, the sunlght washed across his jaw, a smile twinged.

A light mist settled across the floor, gliding over the moist soil. The slight shimmer of sunlight slithered through the canopy, eluminating area's of the dense forest floor. Tree trunks the size of houses stretched for miles, the tree's reaching many hundreds of feet into the air. Strange sounds echoed across the mysterious landscape, Whoops, clicks and croaks filled the air. The twisted lower branches warped around each other, casting strange shadows in the little light that penetrated this far. This is the forest of Scrupulosa.

The soft swish as waves lapped at the sand filled the air, a white shimmer gliding across the surface. the moon shone bright on this night. In the distance, Gulls cried and small dots of lights dissapeared over the cliffs many miles away. Such a beautiful night. As the moon rose a small figure strolled along the beach, kicking at the sand as it walked. It stopped and looked out across the ocean. It's face lit by the glow of the moon, showed a smooth and young face. The boy sat, lifting sand with his hands, then letting it flow away again in the wind. He smiled to himself. Such a simple, yet marvelous thing. He sighed and looked at the palm of his hands, etched with light markings. He felt truly alive, the smell of the salty sea air washing over his senses and the view before him. The boy stood, took one last look at the sea, smiled and walked without a second glance back along the beach, slowly disappearing into the darkness.

A blazing red glow filled the sky, smoke billowing high, screams and musket fire echoed around the town. Terrible cries of pain and other, more sinister growls, came from the burning buildings. A house collapsed, the wooden beams crumbling and the thatched roof caving in, flames devoured the remains. Men and women ran through the streets, the soliders, dressed in their red coats and clean white trousers marched after them, turning and firing into the darkness. Amongst this horror a small boy ran, ducking and weaving his way through the chaos, crawling through legs and jumping over bodies, that lay drenched with a deep red liquid. The screams quietend, and the blistering heat of the fires gave way to the cool night air as he climbed the hill surrounding the little town. Looking down onto the scene, he stood, his little eye's taking it all in. The odd crack filled the air as the musket fire died down and the last of the towns defenders were slaughtered. the boy wiped his face with the sleeve of his dirty jacket, slowly panting, he ran.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Dectomax said:
The barren wastelands unfold for miles, until meeting the mountains and alien terrain on the horizon. A wisp of dust sweeps across the plains. Shadows fall as the sun hovers in the sky, blanketing the ground in a warm wave of heat. As the evening light fades, a new sight blares into focus. The small corporate city lights up. The distant sound of vehicles and ships rings across the plains from the small oasis of civilization. In the distant, many miles away, a huge figure stands majestically in the wasteland. The rusting corpse of a crashed space shuttle, entrenched in a hundred meter deep crater, bits of debris littering the trail where it slide to its demise. The gaping holes in the ships side, looted for their worth years ago, creaking rumbles out of the dead ship as the metal strains and contorts in the heat.

The sun shone through the dust clouds, slowly drifting in the light wind. A tree in the distance swayed a little, shadows being cast across the grassland below. The soft rattle of metal clanged from beyond the hill. The horizon was broken by a figure making it's way across the raised ground. It lifted the iron visor, sunken blue eyes surveyed the land before them. The dark pupils scanning left and right. The man raised an armoured hand and removed the helmet. His hand fell to the side, dropping the helmet to the floor with a dull thud. His tunic waved in the wind, the bright blues and golds rippling over the smooth metal cuirass. The towering man fell to his knee's. The scene before him was unlike any other he had seen. A single tear followed the contours of his worn face and disappeared under his mouth.

A blistering heat washed over the drab wasteland, charred remains of animals lay scattered across the cracked earth, their bones blackend with ash. The Sunlight licked over the Rangers dusty brown trench-coat, billowing in the wind. He stood, perfectly still, surveying the view before him. He spat, rested his hand on the holster of his pistol and moved steadily forwards. Around him lay miles of desolate wasteland, not a living creature for as far as the eye could see. Yet the bleak ghost town before him was un-nerving. The ruined remains of the old wooden buildings lay scattered and burned from the great fires. The Ranger made his way along the street, his eye's scanning left and right. At the end of the dirt road he stopped. His eye's rested upon a decayed building and what lay inside. His fingers gripped the magnum, flexing as his grip tightend. As his gaze lifted, the sunlght washed across his jaw, a smile twinged.

A light mist settled across the floor, gliding over the moist soil. The slight shimmer of sunlight slithered through the canopy, eluminating area's of the dense forest floor. Tree trunks the size of houses stretched for miles, the tree's reaching many hundreds of feet into the air. Strange sounds echoed across the mysterious landscape, Whoops, clicks and croaks filled the air. The twisted lower branches warped around each other, casting strange shadows in the little light that penetrated this far. This is the forest of Scrupulosa.

The soft swish as waves lapped at the sand filled the air, a white shimmer gliding across the surface. the moon shone bright on this night. In the distance, Gulls cried and small dots of lights dissapeared over the cliffs many miles away. Such a beautiful night. As the moon rose a small figure strolled along the beach, kicking at the sand as it walked. It stopped and looked out across the ocean. It's face lit by the glow of the moon, showed a smooth and young face. The boy sat, lifting sand with his hands, then letting it flow away again in the wind. He smiled to himself. Such a simple, yet marvelous thing. He sighed and looked at the palm of his hands, etched with light markings. He felt truly alive, the smell of the salty sea air washing over his senses and the view before him. The boy stood, took one last look at the sea, smiled and walked without a second glance back along the beach, slowly disappearing into the darkness.

A blazing red glow filled the sky, smoke billowing high, screams and musket fire echoed around the town. Terrible cries of pain and other, more sinister growls, came from the burning buildings. A house collapsed, the wooden beams crumbling and the thatched roof caving in, flames devoured the remains. Men and women ran through the streets, the soliders, dressed in their red coats and clean white trousers marched after them, turning and firing into the darkness. Amongst this horror a small boy ran, ducking and weaving his way through the chaos, crawling through legs and jumping over bodies, that lay drenched with a deep red liquid. The screams quietend, and the blistering heat of the fires gave way to the cool night air as he climbed the hill surrounding the little town. Looking down onto the scene, he stood, his little eye's taking it all in. The odd crack filled the air as the musket fire died down and the last of the towns defenders were slaughtered. the boy wiped his face with the sleeve of his dirty jacket, slowly panting, he ran.
One thing you should watch for is how you begin. Each one of those, and this is something you see in almost every non-professional writer, kind of throws you into a short description to set up an image.

The barren wastelands unfold for miles
The sun shone through the dust clouds
A blistering heat washed over the drab wasteland
A light mist settled across the floor
The soft swish as waves lapped at the sand filled the air
A blazing red glow filled the sky
And this is how most of us our taught to write. But it's better to leave the scene-setting and instantly grab the reader than to set up context before you get to the interesting parts. It'll give you variation and it can let you experiment with different styles rather than writing by a formula.

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Stuff here [http://www.pvpgurl.com/PVPGurl.com/Story_Time/Story_Time.html].
This [http://starcraft.org/fanfiction/stories/1037] thing that wasn't linked with it.

Day[9] for life.

AlkalineGamer

Jan 6, 2011
This was a piece of GCSE english coursework, not particularly great, and heavily influenced by a particular game (see if you can guess which one)

Original writing

As I stand I begin to regain my vision, and the blurred image clears to become the trunk of a large tree. Suddenly I feel a sharp throbbing pain from my left leg, I look down to see the bleeding gash going from my ankle the middle of my thigh, then I remember the planes engine malfunctioning and jumping, I remember a chord in the parachute breaking and flying straight into a tree. I reach into my pocket and pull out my pocket watch. Then I open the watch, on the inside is engraved my surname, the family name ?McGrath?. The watch was handed down generation by generation from my great grand father also and explorer a ?career? that had made its way down to me. The clock was still ticking albeit I knew that the time was wrong, the time has always been wrong no matter how often it?s changed it will always go back to its original cycle. I had learned to get used to this a long time ago by compensating the time by 1 hour and 35 minutes depending on the time of the year.

It was by this time I had realised that I had to find the others, Lucy and Cane. I had been the last one to jump so if they were still alive then it was most likely that they would be on the south side of the island. I needed to get to a high point that way I could scope out the rest of the island. I tore the sleeve of my sweat shirt poured a bit of water ton the gash and covered it as best I could with the piece of fabric, took a little drink myself and using a small compass made my way south.

As I walked through the forest I came upon a stone which soon came clear to be some sort of shrine. It had an opening in the center that looked like it once held something, the outside had engravings that looked like a form of writing but I couldn?t decipher it. After a brief look I moved on. About an hour of walking later (taking a few rest to tend to my leg), I saw something behind some trees, it was pretty hard to miss. It was white with parts of red. I then realised what it was. I was looking at part of the plane that we had used to get here. Instantly I moved as fast as I could towards the wreck which I made out to be part of the cockpit, I searched around and found just what I was looking for, a first aid kit. I immediately opened the kit and treated my leg as best I could.
I took out the pocket watch again, it read, ?half past three, which meant it was near quarter to 5, there is no accurate way of telling as I?m not sure which time zone I?m in. Resting my leg I began to look around, and through the top of the trees I saw some sort of tower. As quickly as I could i jumped up and set off again.

When the forest began to clear it became clear that what I saw was part of a sort of abandoned settlement and the tower looked like it was used as a bell tower. As I walked towards it, it seemed more and more likely that there was no simple way up. However weathering and dereliction had caused the outside walls to become full of holes and ledges. This isn?t the first time that I had had to climb, but with my leg recovering and the buildings stability, questionable this could be quite tricky.

After another quick look over I slowly begin my ascent.
I had got about halfway before I encountered any trouble, I?d just put my foot on a small ledge and I felt it begin to shake. Quickly I moved sharply to the left. Luckily there was something to grab on to, a hole in the wall my grip was tighter than ever before as I felt gravity forcing me down, my feet scrambled for something to put my foot on. An extruding rock was my next saving grace. I rested my body and my nerves, whilst I did I looked more closely at the hole I had grabbed onto as I stared it looked more and more like cannon damage. I decided not to think about it I still had half a tower to climb. After about two minutes of climbing, resting and trying not to die, I finally reached the top.
From the top I could see over most of the island, exept for the areas beyond the mountains.

Whilst I looked I saw the places where parts of the plane crashed. But more importantly I could see a bright purple spot which I knew as being one of the parachutes. I sigh of relief came from me. This was good but after another look at my watch I found that I had been here for somewhere around 2 hours so it is very likely that they where no longer there, though they could still be in that general area. However there was a more immediate problem I had given great thought to how I would get up here but no thought at all as to how to get down. I saw a lower platform a roof of what was once a church. It was a distance and a height that normally I would have no trouble jumping to. My leg, at this moment was feeling much better although still weak. Ignoring this I immediately jumped. My landing was next to perfect. Doing my best not to put pressure on my injured leg, by doing a roll. This spread the force across the ground. After coming out of the roll I stood up feeling quite good about my self. This didn?t last long, my smugness was instantly taken away by the roof collapsing, I fell a good six feet before land on a wooden rafter, being made of wood and the age of this place probably being hundreds of years old, of course broke I fell and very luckily landed in a pool that seemed to be a hole in the floor that had probably been filled with rain water. My head came out of the water releasing a large gasp for breath. I climbed out of this pool and exclaimed ?This must be my lucky day!? then feeling a bit embarrassed about talking to myself; I decided to have a look around this building. It became increasingly clear that this place had been under attack. I approached the altar and saw that there was a skeleton lying behind the altar. Next to the greatly decomposed corpse was a knife with a ten inch blade. In the skeletons hands was some kind of cross. Finely engraves with joules, it was made out of solid gold. Overriding my conscience something I had needed to get used to, I picked up the cross and put it in my satchel. The door had been barred up quite thoroughly, benches, tables, chairs. It looked as though someone had been in a hurry to keep someone, out. However most of the wood had rotted and fallen so it was easy to clear. I left the church and headed towards the area where I saw the parachute.

The journey to where I saw the parachute was quite problem free, not much interesting apart from the occasional piece of the plane. When I did finally find the parachute it was somewhere around half past seven, it was early autumn so the sun was still very much out. As I had expected they had gone, but some footprints told me which direction they went in. looking at my compass I saw that they had travelled south east. The footprints were small about size six which meant they must have belonged to Lucy. Lucy Houghton was a journalist, whom I agreed to take along with me, (something I now regretted) she probably didn?t go too far; last I saw she still had her camera, so she is probably taking videos of the forests.

I headed in her direction trying to keep an eye on the footprints. About 20 minutes passed before I came across some sort of sentry post, beyond it there was a very unstable looking rope bridge, followed by another post. Across the gap was Lucy. She was about five foot seven, blond hair tied behind her head, she was wearing cargo shorts and t shirt. In her hand was a small professional camcorder. When she saw me she shouted ?Alex!? then began to run across the bridge.
?Stop!? I yelled. About two steps into her run on the bridge the ropes began to step she released a loud scream. I instantly grabbed the breaking rope. It snapped in my hands and I felt it pulling me. Using a wooden post to put my foot on and push, I kept the bridge stable long enough for her to get back to safety. When she was safe the bridge fell crashing against the walls on its way down. I fell back emitting an exhausted sigh of relief. I then stood up and shouted ?wait there! Ill make my way to you!?
She replied with a quite worried ?Ok!?.
I looked around for another method of crossing. Several times I purposefully blanked a vine that was hanging from a tree until I realised there was no other way. I climbed up to where the vine was. I gave it a small tug to test its strength. ?What am I doing?? I muttered to myself, then I took a deep breath in and jumped, swinging my legs to try and achieve greater distance, I felt a small jolt in the vine. I then began to fall, the vine had snapped. I managed to grab onto the edge of the rock face, my legs scrambling as I tried to pull myself up. I could feel my strength fading away. Then someone grabbed my hand and pulled me up. It was Lucy one hand pulling me one hand grabbing a tree she pulled. This gave me a chance to find my feet and climb up. Panting I said ?thanks.?
Also panting she replied ?now we?re even.? Giving an amused expression.
When we had caught our breath Lucy asked. ?What do we do now??
?Well we need to find Cane, then think of how to get off here.?
?What about this treasure that we came here to find, I have deadlines??
?Treasure!? I exclaimed ?Are you aware we just fell out of a plane, a plane that is now destroyed, I have fallen though a tree had to climb a church, and then fall through the roof of that church saved your life from a broken bridge and almost DIED swing across a one hundred foot deep gap!?
?Well it will all be in vain if we don?t find any treasure?
?Well maybe you can tell me how we would even get it back. Anyway, before we think about any of that we need to find Cane.?
After a rest and a drink of water, we walked along the path that followed on from the bridge. The forest that surrounded us was mysterious. Strange trees engulfed by vines that if it were dark I would mistake for large snakes. Noises of animals in the trees and shrubbery , although interesting were equally frightening, sound seemed to come from everywhere making it difficult to pinpoint any noises I heard. The ground was bumpy, the moist grass made it impossible to see what was beneath. Occasionally we came across large rocks that looked like they where once some kind of structure, or a shrine for worship.
As we walked Lucy asked. ?Is your leg ok??
?Feeling much better than before.?
?So how did that happen??
I sharply answered ?fell through a tree.?
?Do you mind if I mention that in my story??
?Not at all if you manage to make one.?
Then we walked in pretty much silence for near 5 minutes.
When we reached the end of the path I had another look at my watch it read half past six, so it was probably five past eight. ?That?s strange.? I said in a surprised tone.
?What is??
?It?s about five past eight and yet its still as bright as it was a few hours ago, we should be approaching evening.?
Lucy was about to say something but before she could say a word I stopped her. ?shh?
?What?? she whispered.
I put my finger in front of my mouth to try and quieten her, then moved it and whispered ?I can hear something.?
I could hear voices. Slowly we tip toed our way towards the noise. As we came closer words became more clear, we crouched behind a rock. From this position we could see a group of people talking.
?Were is this damn treasure?? a man shouted. His voice was smooth yet held a certain authority, he spoke with quite a clear English accent, and clearly this man was leading the others that surrounded him.
?Let me have another look at the map? said another one, however this persons voice was familiar then as he turned round I realised it was Cane (Cane Armitage was an old friend of mine; he had helped me many times on expeditions). He didn?t look like he wanted to be there, the other men were armed, it was clear he head been taken prisoner.
Then the leader beckoned one of the men, this man rolled a map out on a nearby tree stump.
?Hey that?s my map.? I said, then immediately put my head down as I realised how loud I had actually said that.
A couple of the people looked around, the recommenced doing what they where doing.
Cole knelt down to look at the map.
?Well?? questioned the leader very anxiously.
?I can probably find the treasure but it?ll take me time.?
?Juan.? At this one of the men pulled out a pistol and pointed it in-between Coles eyes, this man looked like he would shoot Cole and not think anything of it. Cole looked shocked and was motionless.
?Time, is something we don?t have Cole.?
Cole regained his senses and said ?ok ok victor ill do my best.?
?well so far your best hasn?t been good enough.?
As I looked around the people there I said to Lucy, ?wasn?t there ten of them?? then a loud voice shouted ?Hey? I turned round to see one of the men, who must have walked off when I had spoken before. He was pointing an assault rifle at me. He was about to say something else but I managed to kick his gun up, then I tackled him to the floor, I knocked him out and took his weapon. I turned back round and fired the gun in the air above the group of people, I could hear shouting then people started firing back up towards us but we ran. Once we had reached a safe distance we stopped and rested.
?What the hell was that!? Lucy exclaimed.
?I don?t know but we need to rescue Cane from them.?
?Are you mental! I?m not going back there, there?s nine men each one armed!?
?We can?t just leave him, he?s saved my life many times in the past, it?s my duty to return the favour.?
After some panting she spoke ?Alright but be careful.?
We headed back in that general direction, except this time we took a curved route, to avoid direct confrontation with the men.

Along this route we came across something. A broken archway, too old to tell when it was built. We stopped here for a drink. While we were there I heard footsteps. I pulled Lucy behind a wall, ?What this time?? she whispered.
?Footsteps.? I still had the gun so when I heard the footsteps get closer I quickly jumped around the corner and pointed my gun at whoever was there.
?Whoah whoah whoah? said Cole looking very suave as he usually did but with a definite glint of fear in his eye ?friend not foe.?
?Oh sorry.?
?Almost gave me a heart attack there kid.? He said now breathing quite deeply.
?How did you get away from them??
?Well that little stunt you pulled gave me a chance to slip away.?
At this moment lucy walked around the corner giving a stern look at Cole ?How do we know we can trust him?? she said.
Cole gave a smirk and a mock bow as he said ?ah the lady Lucy, nice to see you again madam.?
?They could have told him to come and bring us out.?
?Listen Lucy.? I said ?I trust Cole with my life, there?s no way he would betray us like that.?
There was some tension in the air then Cole said ?they went off in the other direction.?
I asked ?who were they??
?Pirates, the leaders name is Victor West, not a nice man, they where the ones who shot us out of the sky.?
?Damn.?
?But on the positive side look what I got back.? He pulled out of his back pocket the map.
I put the rifle on my back using a strap, and took the map, I opened it out,
?What did you tell them?? I asked.
?Well when they stop looking for me they?ll be heading for the opposite side of the island to the treasure.?
?Good man, ok well if I?m right which I usually am? smirking ?we are here and we think that the treasure is here.? I pointed to a part of the map which before we set off, had worked out to be the location of the treasure we were looking for.
?I thought we weren?t looking for the treasure.? Said Lucy.
?It?s different now, now there there?s competition.?
?Bloody treasure hunters.? Said Lucy.
I could see that the sun was beginning to go down. We decided to set of while it still shone in the cloudless sky. We went in a north eastern direction as that?s where I believed the treasure to be.

Whilst we walked I took out my watch again to look up the time.
?That watch, where did you get it from?? questioned Lucy, gesturing towards the old watch.
?It was a given to me, by my father.? I answered.
?an explorer ??
Cole butted in ?yes, and a damn good man as well.?
?All of my male ancestors where explorers and some of the female ones. Ever since Francis McGrath.?
?The one who discovered all those Incan cities and uncovered about 20 undiscovered Pharoes??
?Not forget this part of the world including this very island? I said spreading my arms to put emphasis on that discovery.
?So he came ?here???
?Yup? wait, this is it were close.?
?To the treasure?? said Cole quickly.
?Yeah behind those bushes.? In front of us were some thick shrubbery and bamboo plants.
We cleared the way and before us was a cave. It was at the bottom of quite a large rocky hill which partially shadowed us from the sun. The opening was blocked by a large door.
In the center of the door was a small circle and above that was a line there were markings on the door, pictures of people. As I looked closer I realised something, ?wait??

?Stop, right there Mr McGrath, put your weapon down.? It was Victor West and the rest of the pirates, I put the gun down. ?Well this is a nice meeting isn?t it, oh and nice to meet you Ms Houghton.?
?Weren?t there nine of you creeps?? said Lucy.
Victor just stared at her then carried on talking ?You should thank Mr Armitage here for this little gathering, after all it was him who told us about the treasure.? I and Lucy stared at Cole. ?You see Cole owes me quite a substantial amount of money.? As one of the men pulled Cole away he said ?I?m sorry Alex, they were going to kill my family.?
?You bastard!? I said to victor. When I did this one of the men who was closest to me punched me in the face, as I recovered I saw that it was the one victor had called Juan.
?Okay, okay Juan that?s enough. Now back to the matter at hand, the treasure Mr McGrath, where is it??
I cleared some blood from my mouth and said. ?Somewhere behind that door.?
?And how do we open this door?? he said making a hand gesture towards the door.
?Hmm, considering the time it?s been here, I?d say you could force it open.?
At this Victor gestured to the door again, and two men walked to the door and took out crowbars, I winked at Lucy and she gave an expression of understanding. On each side of the door the two men started to pry it open. A man was pointing a gun at me, and another one was aiming at Lucy. As the two men pried something clicked and a small movement could be heard, then in the gaps between the door and the wall bursted out some kind of powder, this hit the two men with the crowbar and a few men who where near them . In the commotion I spun round and pushed the man behind me away, taking his pistol at the same time, Lucy did the same. Lucy fired some shots in the air, any man that hadn?t been hit with the powder was now cowering from the bullets, I pulled out my watch and with a little knock I removed the clock mechanism from the casing, I fitted it into the small circle and turned until the minute hand was matching the line above the circle. I and Lucy quickly ran into the open door and while Lucy fired a few more shots out I shut the door.
Now there was a long corridor before us, we ran. As we ran I frantically spoke. ?It makes sense now, Francis came here, he found something, he built that door to protect it and he used the watch to lock it!?
?Why?d he seal it!??
?I don?t know, to protect I guess, from what I?ve seen this whole island came under attack, whatever?s here lots of people have gone to a lot of trouble to try and get it!? we carried on moving ?wait!? we came to a sudden stop ? those walls look different.? I picked a rock up and threw it on the flew in front of me, about a second after the rock hit the floor several darts flew out of the wall.
?What now?? said Lucy, just after she spoke a loud explosion came from the other side of the cave behind us. ?They?ve blown the door! Run!? we both ran across the booby trapped floor, the delay meant that if we were fast enough we were safe. We could now hear shouting from behind us. As we ran we came to a gap about five feet wide without stopping we jumped across and continued running. To my despair we eventually came to a dead end. A wall now stood in front of us, on the wall were six extruding plated. ?Damn!? then I remembered something. ?Those symbols i've seen them before.? I took out the map, and along the bottom where some little drawings, each one resembled one of the plates before us and each one numbered. I pressed the plates in the order written on the map. However nothing happened. I now had a great feeling of dread, this was shortly broken when the wall jolted, dust being emitted from the edges, this was followed by the wall dropping. It only dropped half way but we easily climbed over. The voices behind us were getting louder.
We came to an opening which came clear as a large hall laden with treasure; it was light by holes in the ceiling bringing in the sunlight. In the center of the room was a blue gem the size of a football, encrusted with gold and other jewels, it was hard to see from here but it looked like there was something in the center. I turned to Lucy to say something, but she looked dazed, her eyes were securely fixed on the jewel, she began to slowly walk towards it. ?Lucy, Lucy!? this broke her trance.
?Wha, what, what is that??
?It must be the treasure, don?t look at it ill try to find a way down.? I looked around on the floor below was a ladder that had fallen, apart from that, the only way down was a rope on the other side of the hall that went down to the floor. Between that and me was a chandelier and another rope that did not reach the floor. ?Not more swinging.? I gave a sigh then swallowed took a few steps back and ran, I jumped of the edge and grabbed on to a rope, using this momentum I went from the rope to a chandelier. I was able to climb onto the chandelier, I could feel the chain it was hanging from breaking so I quickly jumped to the other rope, I almost slipped. I slowly clambered down the rope until I was at the floor. I ran to the ladder and pushed it up against the wall, it hooked into place. Lucy carefully climbed down this ladder. As she came down I looked closer at the gem, in the center was a black substance it looked liquid. Lucy came beside ?Wow? she said almost in a daze ?that must be worth a hell of a lot.?
We were interrupted by victor. ?That?s it you little bastard, I gave you a chance to live, but now your going to?? he stopped when he saw the treasure. ?The treasure at last.?
Victor was clearly in a trance, as were a few of the other men and Cole, but Juan wasn?t, he seemed more focused on us. ?Get back! Both of you!? said Juan. Aiming his gun at us. Victor was now making his way down the ladder followed by the other men (there were now only five excluding Cole). When the men got down two of them aimed at us while Juan came down, as Victor approached the Gem he said. ?It?s truly marvellous.? Now to of the other men followed him in this trance, one of them rushed in front of victor ?its mine!? he said about to grab it, but before he could one of the other men dived on him shouting ?No no it is mine!? They were now thoroughly fighting suddenly two shot were heard and victor was stood there holding a revolver, smoke coming out of the barrel. ?No its mine? he said solemnly then he dropped his gun and picked up the gem from its place, Juan shouted ?No!? he had realised the trap but he was too late, the ground began to shake. ?Cole!? I shouted his trance was broken, and he ran to us. We started to run toward the exit at the other end of the hall. The room was falling apart, Juan and the other man ran after us but Victor just stood there holding the gem. We got out of the room but the entire cave was falling apart. The other man had fallen with the floor but Juan was still chasing us. I was at the back and Juan tackled me to the ground, he was now pinning me down and trying to strangle me. I reached for my pistol, I could not shoot him but I was able to fire at the ceiling, a rock fell down and hit Juan in the back. This gave me time to get him off me, I stood up but before I could aim at him he knocked the gun out of my hands then he went for a punch but I blocked it and countered with a kick. The cave around us was falling a rock was about to fall I pushed Juan back the jumped back quickly a wall of rocks formed between me and him, I didn?t see what happened to him, I ran adrenaline allowed me to catch up to the others. The cliff opened to al large drop into the sea. We made a split decision and kept running, we jumped into the sea. Next thing I knew I was submerged in water. I swam to the surface to meet Cole and Lucy. We swam to the shore. ?Phew!? gasped Cole.
?What was that?? Lucy muttered.
?That treasure, its temptation, everyone who saw it wanted.? Said Cole.
?How come you weren?t transed Alex?? asked Lucy.
?I don?t?? Then I remembered the cross I had found in the church. I took it out and looked at it. ?This must be what stopped me, probably why people died to protect this. Whoever has this can use that gem, can control the minds of people.?
?What about that Juan?? said Lucy. ?He never got tranced.?
?Ah but he never actually looked at the gem, too busy concentrating on us.?
We stopped talking and rested for a while.
?Now what?? I uttered.
?Look! There?s the boat the pirates must have used. But we need the keys.? Said Lucy pointing to a shored boat.
?You mean these keys.? said Cole jingling a pair of keys.
I laughed ?Cole you dog.?

As we drove away from the island I said ?Shame we couldn?t get any treasure.?
?Not all treasure is shiny.? Said Cole, looking at me and Lucy. Lucy and I smiled and looked at each other. ?However diamonds are.? Said Cole as he took a diamond the size of a fist out of his pouch. ?Cole you never cease to amaze? now we sailed into the sunset. New adventures before us and great experience behind us.

Looking back on that i continously notice ways in which i could have made it better, but i don't really want to change it.
Writing is something i quite liked doing, though it was always something, my parents never really encouraged, ( alittle hypocritical since my dad has written a published book)
I like to think that i'm quite good at coming up with stories, it's just the actual writing that prevents me.
And since it's all in the execution, well...

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Hang on, I'll see what happens when I try to write something with no planning whatsoever! Back in a tic.

"Oh what the FUCK!"
It was a peaceful Sunday afternoon. The birds had been singing in the trees, the smell of blossom had wafted over and been overpowered by the smoke from barbacues and bonfires, and a rather rotund man had been sat at his computer.
"Fuckity fuck."
He grumbled as he fiddled with cables and glared at his mouse.
"GODDAMNIT MOUSE."
He threw the mouse in the bin and sulked. If his neighbours had been a little braver, one of them might have popped their head in the front door, which was wide open because of the heat, and said something. But they didn't. So Mr. Rogers sat at his desk and fumed silently.
After a small slab of chocolate and an ice cream from the van down the road, Mr. Rogers had calmed down a bit. Well, calmed down enough not to shout at the ice cream man. His loud, happy neighbours however did not have lovely soothing ice cream with which to appease him, so they fled back into their house.

As you may have noticed, Mr. Rogers is not a very friendly man. If you did notice it:
HA! WRONG!
Mr. Rogers is usually a sort of cross between Father Christmas, Jesus, and an affable hippo. But every man, and hippo, has their limit. Mr. Rogers' limit was breaking things. He hated breaking things, but losing his mouse meant it was hard to use the computer, which meant he would have to amuse himself until he could buy a new one. Unfortunately, Mr. Rogers lives in the arse-end of nowhere, and the mouse he had ordered online wouldn't get there for 4-5 days, maybe more because of the bloody post-office. And so began...
Mr. Rogers' Offline Quest for Fun
I'd write more, but as soon as I got to the ice-cream bit an ice cream van appeared down the road. :D

KnowYourOnion

Jul 6, 2009
Dectomax said:
I only really do small exerts, mainly because I'm practising my writing skills at the moment. Feel free to critique and make suggestions.

There all pretty short, just because I get as a far a general idea then hit a blank.

I like your writing style old boy, it's got a flow!

OT: this is my only completed short story and it's being published later this year. Feel free to tell me what you think :)
http://awriterchap.deviantart.com/art/Shadows-in-the-Dark-199217862

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
KnowYourOnion said:
Dectomax said:

I like your writing style old boy, it's got a flow!

OT: this is my only completed short story and it's being published later this year. Feel free to tell me what you think :)
http://awriterchap.deviantart.com/art/Shadows-in-the-Dark-199217862
Why thank you good sir!

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
*sneaks in nervously* Er... Hi. Here's an story that I wrote several years ago. This was before the upped security at the airports. And to be honest I did no research for it so I don't know how plausible it. Probably not at all.

It's actually a re-write of a lost story I'd written for English class back when I was 15-16; it disappeared but it stayed in my mind for almost 10 years. When I first wrote it I had planned a cheery little look into family life - it quickly deteriorated into approximately the same storyline you'll read here.

Also, I HATE writing in present tense and first-person. So A for effort for doing both at the same time?

Baby Blue

The baby is awake.

The morning light shafts in through the blinds and lands on my face, and I blink miserably as I try to focus my bleary gaze on the digital alarm clock. 5:14. I groan and thump my head back against the pillow. And then I remember. And smile.

"Wha'timesit?" the figure next to me asks sleepily, making moves to get out of bed.

"Too early for you, love. Go back to sleep for a bit, I'll take care of Baby Blue."

I hear her snort as I get up but she stays put. Pulling on a pair of track bottoms, I make my way into the baby's room. The eighteen-month-old boy is standing in his cot, sniffling and clearly debating whether or not to turn on the real waterworks now that a parental unit has arrived, just to show his displeasure at the delay. I'm relieved when the votes come in against; the boy simply gives a sob and holds out his arms, as demanding as a little emperor.

"Come on Baby Blue," I croon, my happy mood un-spoilable, as I pick my son out of his cot. "Time for breakfast." I discretely check his nappy. "Hmm, first stop's the loo I think."

I change his nappy, dress him, and then plonk him down in his high chair and start arranging his morning meal. I hear the bedroom door open, the padding of naked feet towards the toilet, and then the soft hiss of the shower.

"Here we go." I seat myself down next to the baby's high chair with his bowl of porridge. "Here comes the airplane!" I cry and begin to mechanically spoon the grey-brown stuff into my resisting son, who immediately tries to spit it back out, aiming for his tormentor. The creak of the loo door catches my ear and soon I hear my wife entering the kitchen behind me.

"Having trouble, dear?" she asks teasingly, wrapping her bath robe-clad arms around my neck from behind.

"Maybe you could take over so I can take a shower?" is my arch reply, wincing as the baby manages to lob one right on my face.

"Shoo," she says, still grinning, and takes my place. I grin myself as after a large splash - much like a small fist slamming into bowl of gruel - I hear her swear.

I luxuriate in my shower, taking my time. I debate masturbation and decide in favour; a little pleasure never hurt. That thought makes me smile knowingly.

After my shower and relaxing wank, I get dressed and return to the kitchen to find my wife in need of another shower. She looks surprised when I start putting my things together, getting ready to leave.

"You're going already? It's only six o'clock."

"I thought I take the advantage of getting in early and actually getting some work done," I answer, shutting my briefcase and flashing her a wry smile. She returns it almost shyly and for an instant I see the girl I married. I shake the image out of my head.

Instead I continue, "Besides, it's Friday and traffic's going to be murder." I put my shoes and suit jacket on before giving her a brief kiss on the mouth. "Bye love. See you tonight." I kiss my son's sticky cheek. "Bye Baby Blue." He gabbles at me briefly and my wife glares at me.

"He's going to grow up thinking that's his name you know," she accuses me as I start for the door.

"Oh, I doubt it," I throw back at her with a grin; then I'm out the door and down the garden path towards the car parked in the street.

Throwing my briefcase in the front passenger seat I quickly check the back seat through the rear-view mirror as I sit down. Still there. Good.

I pull into the main street and drive off in the direction of my work. I slide a compilation CD into my car player and hum along to the first song as I reach the first major crossroads.

I can still change my mind.

I don't; instead of the left towards the City, I drive on towards Gatwick Airport, ringing in sick as I go.

--------

Free. I'm bloody free! No more nappy changes, no more five AM wake-up calls courtesy of the Devil Incarnate, no more fights or moans over who does what--
I am free.
No more working in bloody boring Insurance either. God! The relief is making me dizzy. I can do whatever I want; six years of careful embezzling has left me with two million quid. I laugh out loud at that. Two MILLION. And now I'm on my way to the sun and the beautiful beaches of the West Indies. No bloody clinging wife, no bloody baby, no bloody worries for the rest of my life; just a lot of parties and no-strings sex to look forward to.

Sex. I wonder if I remember how to do it.

I laugh again, the music washing over me, enhancing my mood. I check the back seat again, the sight of the two holdalls making me grin. The larger one is mostly filled with clothes; the other is packed to the brim with traveller's checks. God, I hope I get through customs, although if they spot the fake passport I won't even get that far.

The drive takes two hours and my conscience itches a little. It had gotten better lately, between the wife and me. She wasn't quite so tired any more. This morning, if I think about it, had been miraculously peaceful. The baby hadn't been half as obnoxious as he could be.

I snort. A lull, that's all. All in all, I'd rather not spend the next two decades putting my life on hold to pander to that squalling brat, watching my wife deteriorate into some cliché of a stay-home mother. Already she isn't the woman I married. For one thing, the woman I married hadn't wanted kids.

No, it's better this way. She's depressingly straight anyway; she'd have probably turned me in if I had told her about the money. "It's the right thing to do," she'd say in that sanctimonious, I-was-born-with-money way. Especially since the man I used to work for is her uncle.

Hah! No, I'm well shoot of her. She was getting flabby anyway. Never got her shape back after the baby.

--------

I pull in at the multi-storey car park near the airport. Even at this early hour there are other cars entering and leaving. I find a spot on the third storey and grab the two holdalls from the back. I leave my briefcase; nothing I want in that.

Before I head to the lift I can't help but nervously check the fake plates. They should help throw the police off the track for a while, or so I hope.

Nervous energy is coursing through me as I enter the lift and press the bottom-most button. I'm getting away with it, I'm bloody getting away with it. My blood is singing with excitement; it's almost erotic.

--------

The traffic had been bad. In truth, I owed my bouncing baby boy; if he hadn't woken me I might have missed my flight. As it is, I manage the check-in deadline by a hair.

I then calmly make my way to the passport control; the woman behind the bulletproof glass barely glances at my passport or me and I go through.

The same at the hand-baggage control; one of the controllers looks a bit askance at me as the bag goes through the x-ray machine but I grin wryly at him.

"My aunt just died and she left a ton of old book-manuscripts. I thought I'd leaf through a few on my way home. Besides," I add dryly, "what if they're the next big hit? Can't take the chance they'll get lost can I?"

The man grins back at me and again I'm home safe. Even if he'd demanded to see some proof I could have obliged him; I'd managed to push in a few actual manuscripts that my wife kept trying to get me to read. But I'm glad he didn't push it. If he'd dug into the bag he'd have quickly realised the black bin bag at the bottom was filled with most of my retirement fund.

No. As long as I have no sharp objects they apparently don't care what was in the bag.

Grateful that the controllers weren't the what's-all-this-then kind I slink into the tax-free area.

Almost every shop is closed. A few had started to open up their doors to the early morning traveller, but most of them were still barred and locked up for the night. I find a small cafe bar and slump into a seat, dumping my bag down next to me. A pre-recorded message starts up warning not to leave luggage unattended. I grin tiredly. No chance of that; I'm not letting this bag out of my sight.

There's a woman sitting next to me, sipping a mocha latte delicately. I lazily scan her lines as I try to decide what to order (and women claim men can't multitask!), her sleek business suit a beautifully tailored fit. I wonder if she's on my flight? I hope so, she's a peach. She catches my eye and smiles mysteriously at me, then she turns back to her coffee.

I order an espresso. What I'd really like is a beer, but you can't have everything in life. The woman gets ready to leave, demonstrating my point, bending down to pick up her own bag before moving off. The bending affords me a nice view of her bum and I sigh as she moves off. Oh well, if I'm lucky she'll be on my flight and if I'm really lucky she'll sit next to me. After all, my luck seems to holding pretty well.

I grin as I drain the espresso before ordering a plain old coffee.

My wife is probably starting the laundry as I sit here, enjoying myself. Tonight when I don't come home she'll get worried, maybe call my 'friend' Dan to ask if I am with him. He'll tell her I never showed up at work. And that will start the whole merry-go-round of ringing the police and questions and incriminations. I feel sorry for her. I'm pretty sure she still loves me, even as I'm sure I don't love her. But I need to get out of the country before my employer cops on I've cheated them, and as I would have left her at one time or another anyway?

I frown, wondering if she had even noticed I was going off her. I am a pretty good actor if I say so myself, but maybe I should have given her some kind of hint. As it is, I feel fairly sure she won't take the news well.

She'll have the little imp to console her at least. She'll probably feed him horrible stories about me, making him hate me; fine by me. I never wanted the little mongrel. But I had ooh:ed and aah:ed with the lot of them when she turned out up the duff, too bloody scared of her family to put my foot out of place.

But no more! I have a new name, a new identity I'd paid through the nose for, and they weren't so rich or influential that they could spend the fortune it would take to find me on my tiny little island out in the middle of nowhere on the other side of the world.

I catch sight of myself in the mirror behind the bar and lift my coffee cup in a silent salute to myself. In the words of Mel Gibson: Freedom!

I glance at my watch. I need to move if I want to make it before the queue builds up. I push the coffee away - it wasn't that good anyway - and grab my holdall from the floor before speeding away towards my gate.

But I soon realise the bag can't be mine. It's much too light. I stop and look at it and I can see immediately that I'm right; it isn't mine. It looks almost exactly like it but it isn't.

Realisation strikes: the woman! She must have taken my bag by mistake! If my heart wasn't pounding from the sudden panic I could say it makes for a perfect set-up to see her again. Perfect apart from that she now has in her possession almost all my money. I wouldn't try to find me.

I go sit down in my gate, mind speeding, trying to figure out what the hell I should do. Shit. Shit. Shit!

Feeling spiteful I unzip her bag without remorse.

My hand digs down and clasps around something rough, something with sharp edges and wires and?

Realisation strikes again as that same pre-recorded message starts again: Please don't leave your luggage unattended. Any luggage left unattended will be removed and destroyed. . .
Oh my god. Oh my god. I'm sorry, god I'm sorry, I'll--

--------

"At approximately 8:50 this morning a suspected suicide bomber at Gatwick Airport killed ten people and severely wounded twenty-five when setting off a large explosion. No answers have been given on how he made it passed security. Among the ten dead is a five-year-old girl and--"

I switch off the radio, unable to bear more, and pick up my son. "How horrible. All those people. . . And children!" I hug my baby closer, causing him to wriggle and myself to giggle. "You're just full of energy aren't you?"

I set him down, unable to stop the feeling of relief that nobody I know could have been in that explosion. That my baby is safe and well and that the only danger to my husband is being bored out of his wits.

Watching my son crawl towards the sitting room I weigh the pro's and con's of calling my husband. On the one hand I might break up the monotony of his day. On the other I'll almost certainly disturb him in the middle of something that "can't wait".

I sigh. Then I frown. Pull yourself together! Things are much better now than a month ago! We've finally begun to act like man and wife again, instead of just disgruntled housemates. My hand sneaks up to my mouth and I smile. It had been months since he last kissed me like that. Maybe tonight, if I put the baby down early. . .

I go to check on the baby, grinning to myself. Catching him seriously contemplating the fun that pulling down half the bookcase could entail, I grab him up into my arms again.

"What do you say ?Baby Blue'? Should we make a special dinner for Daddy?" 'Baby Blue' - what a ridiculous pet name! - seems to think my hair is the best meal to be had.

I walk out into the kitchen again, already planning the romantic dinner in my head. He'll love it.

"Gah gah!" says the baby, thumping his fists against my sternum, beating it like a drum. It's a bit painful but I can only smile.

Everything will be just fine.

Oh and here's a piece of cheesy sci-fi I also wrote back in my teens. It has weird aliens, awful one-liners, puns that physically hurt... all in one story!

Bounty Hunter

Simal was a desert planet on the outskirts of system 573, a system that already had a bad reputation. Simal, with its vast deserts and underground network of caverns that extended all across the planet attracted pirates and outlaws who needed a place to hang low for a while.

It was a natural place to start for any bounty collector looking for someone who'd been sighted in the nearby sectors.

He checked his weapon. Only 3 low-energy capsules left. That meant he only had 36 shots. He'd have to avoid a shoot-out, something he knew his target thrived on. He shrugged. The one he was after wasn't known to wear all too much protective clothing of any kind anyway.

Blast stepped out of the narrow back street into the piercing light and loud sounds of the bustling city of Kampora, the most popular spaceport on Simal. He was an impressive sight, causing a few stares and some to put their head down; Blast was well known in the less law-abiding parts of Kampora society. At 190 cm and 120 kg of pure muscle, Blast rose above the main population of Simal. His pure white hair that belied his 34 years contrasted against his dark brown skin. His pale blue eyes saw everything and the white scar that led from his temple to his jaw gave people a nasty shock when he smiled.

He stretched and looked about casually before heading down the crowded streets. The main population of Simal were short with thick, leather-like brown-green skin. They called themselves Sirl and they were the indigenous people of Simal. Their hostility against outsiders had been overcome by their greed and there now lived a mix of species scattered about on Simal. Most of them were concentrated in Kampora as Blast noticed as he walked past a young human mother dragging her child away from an E-Corp stand whose sign exclaimed: 'Get with the FUTURE! Have your child tested for ESP TODAY!'

E-Corp wasn't very popular on Simal. Hell, E-Corp wasn't popular anywhere. The only people who liked E-Corp where already in E-Corp. Of course, who could blame people after what had happened at Yem Uq Space Station in system 2196. The rumours had been slightly exaggerated but not by much, and it had dragged the once respectable and respected E-Corp's name through the mud.

Blast, who had bumped into E-Corp agents a lot in his career, could only hope it was the end of them.

He kept walking until the crowds began to thin out a little and didn't stop until he was outside an open-air bar with shabby seats under the cooling shade caused by a off-white harsh fabric stretched over the wooden scaffolding.

"Hey Sam," Blast greeted the Sirl barman who looked up.

"Why, if it is not Blast 'k!" he exclaimed in his hissing accent of the human language and put down the glass he'd been unsuccessfully cleaning. "Looking for someone or is a social visit?"

Blast grinned. "You know me better than that, Sam. Have you seen Red around?"

"Red? Ah yes. . ." Sam tapped a taloned finger against the metal bar disk. "Do not right know. What it be worth maybe?" He grinned, showing of a discertingly pointy set of teeth.

"Depends on what you're asking, Saimlss," countered Blast, leaning against the disk. "And could I have a Kampora Special? I've got a long day ahead of me." He disdainfully picked up the discarded glass looked at it and pointedly put it down, saying, "Preferably in a clean glass."

Saimlss hissed something in his native tongue.

"Have one yourself; you could use something to disinfect that mouth of yours." He lay down a few credits and grinned at the Simal, "On me."

"You are being the generous itself, Blast," Sam grumbled and poured two glasses. "So. What this information it be worth?"

Blast shrugged and took a sip of his drink. "I thought it be the usual; help you transport that special booze from Tapl."

Sam's finger twitched. Blast grimaced. "Don't tell me?"

"You have very good timing Blast 'k. It being time for daughter's mating cycle again. I not want her to go take first best male. Bad breeding 'k."

"Last time I helped you with that I ended up with a black eye, two broken ribs and a scar from my armpit to my hip!"

"You know females 'k," Sam said in an easy manner. "Testy at that time of year."

"And she hates me."

"She not hate you. She just think you are too ugly to mate with 'k."

"That makes me feel so much better." Especially since Sirl-women were actually quite beautiful, unlike the men who looked like someone had chewed on them and then spit them out.

"That my price 'k. Take or leave 'k."

Blast sighed. "Alright. But this is the last time."

"She not that bad you know. You only see her at worst 'k."

"Oh, I'm sure she's an angel. Now tell me."

Saimlss grinned Sirl-style, which meant he looked as if he was about to rip someone's throat out. "You have luck one no can believe 'k. Red come to shop across street most days. They sell mood 'hancers there 'k."

"That's our Red," smirked Blast. "When was the last time?"

"Two days."

"Then Red's due for another visit don't you think? Mind if I sit and wait?"

"Go ahead. Remember our deal 'k."

Blast waved at him irritably and went to sit in a shady corner with a good view of the street. He pulled up his hood and leaned back, preparing himself for a long wait.

--------

Six hours later Blast was nursing his third drink. The two suns were finally heading down towards the horizon, though it was a few hours before sunset yet. Blast could feel his eyes slowly drooping, but he refrained from napping. Don't fall asleep on the job. One of the things Jameson, the man who had taken Blast under his wings all those years ago to train him in the dubiously honest profession of a bounty hunter, had repeatedly told him.

There. His target was walking nonchalantly up the street as if it hadn't a care in the world. It went into the shop and Blast debated whether he should take his bounty there and now. He decided against it. Too many interfering elements. Instead he waited until his target came out again before standing up. He left a few credits on the table next to his half-empty glass and nodded at Sam before he began his tail.

He kept his distance and his eyes on his target, despite its constant weaving in and out of the crowd. Never take your eyes off your target if you can help it. And you can always help it, boy. Jameson's voice reverberated through his mind.

It paused for a second at a stand selling mokla-burgers, making Blast's stomach growl. He hadn't eaten since he left his ship this morning. Once it had started walking again, he took a chance and quickly bought a burger himself once it was clear of the stand. Never hunt on an empty stomach, was another one of Jameson's sayings. Though he'd hardly approve of this.

The bounty had almost disappeared around a corner and Blast hurried to keep up, the mokla-burger vanishing in three quick bites.

The crowds were thinning and he had to work harder to keep the target from noticing that it was being followed. He lost sight of it sometimes intentionally when he turned corners it hadn't only to catch up with it later after a sprint through the bystreets and alleys of Kampora.

Soon the buildings surrounding him started to look more rundown, graffiti decorating their walls, mostly in the three main languages of Kampora, together with obscene pictures. Young people these days had such active imaginations.

The crowds had thinned down to nothing, forcing Blast to stay one street behind his target to avoid detection. He met few people on the way and they ignored him, being too dangerous-looking to mug. Soon the gangs that roamed this area looking for some fun - the kind of fun that usually involved a victim or two - would come out of their holes and then Blast might be in a bit more trouble. Most people avoided this area during the dark hours for good reasons.

This was also where Blast did most of his business and he had a hard time keeping track of how many he'd upset. Thankfully he had a lot of experience of gangs having lead one back in his own youth.

It was a little easier to follow her now despite the lack of crowds due to the amount of burnt out hovercrafts and police mini-tanks - the little law-enforcement Kampora had now knew to stay as far away from that section as possible - and general garbage everywhere, giving Blast plenty of things to duck behind if he needed it.

Soon his bounty lead him to a large building. It had a large gate on the bottom floor, but the person he was after headed for a rickety metal staircase bolted onto the outside wall. It lead to passages that surrounded the outer wall's upper area and it got off on the fourth floor and disappeared.

Blast waited five seconds before jogging across the street, ducking through the hole in the fence and going up the stairs, two steps at a time. The building looked like one of the old construction yards from Kampora's glory-days, back when they were one of the leading builders of battle cruisers and the like; everything from the one-seat slipfighters to the starships that housed them in thousands. Then, together with a sudden declaration of peace between the concerned parties in the most major wars, a rumour about slipshod work being done and a government take-over, the economy collapsed.

Looking in through the vaulted entrances towards the open courtyard, he could not only see that this place used to construct rather large ships but also that it had turned into a junkyard. Everything was heaped in the middle, the pile reaching up several stories high, all the way up to the fifth. It was quite impressive and Blast could see that places like these were probably a favourite haunt for the more enterprising - not to mention desperate - spare-parts dealers.

He had passed several vaults without seeing anything through them, so he turned a corner and wondered if he should chance it. He inched his way up to the first vaulted entrance and was about to carefully sneak inside when a shot missed him by a centimetre, blasting a small crater into the wall beside him. He quickly dove back behind the vault and flattened himself against the wall.

"Shit!" he hissed between clenched teeth and loaded his gun. It looked like a shoot-out after all and the bittersweet feel of adrenalin rushed through him.

Blast took a deep breath before showing himself in the wide entrance and taking two shots towards the spot he thought the shooter was before ducking behind the wall again. A second later three energy blasts flew through the space he'd occupied, one of them grazing the side of the vault inches from where he stood.
There were times he hated this job.

--------

There was a lull in the shooting and Blast was down to his last energy capsule. Or rather, half of it.

There had to be another way.

His attacker hadn't reacted until he had turned the corner. Supposing it hadn't seen him from its current position until he had come to this side of the building, there could be a chance of sneaking up behind. . .

Blast went around the corner and carefully approached the first entrance along that wall. Taking a deep breath, he threw himself as quietly as possible past the entrance, doing a somersault that quickly brought him to his feet.

Nothing. But that didn't mean anything.

He carefully and quietly circled around along the outside passage way. He had come to the opposite wall from where he'd been shot at when he glimpsed red hair. He ducked quickly behind the wall before chancing it again. From what he could tell his target was facing away from him.

He carefully snuck into the courtyard. The parts of the abandoned shipyard's forgotten projects spilled over onto the inside passage way and he hid behind one of the larger heaps. He noticed an energy-fluxator and pocketed it. He'd been looking for that model for months.

He inched closer behind his target, making no sound.

"Hold it Red. Unless you want a hole in your head about the size of a small meteor I'd advice you dropped the gun. Turn around slowly."

The redhead did as he asked, still on her knees. "Why if it isn't a Blast from the past," Kali said with a sneer on her face. She hadn't changed much; her hair was still a cloud of red making her head look three times bigger than it was, her purplish blue-tinted skin still flawless, and her body sculpted in curves of soft flesh and muscles.

Blast shook his head as he said, "Still got the sense of humour of a Retikian Quar, eh Kali? Spare me your bad jokes and stand up." He grabbed her arm roughly and pulled her up.

She struggled a little and pouted her purple lips. "What? No kiss, Blast? I'm disappointed, what with our history and all..."

"You mean when you left me for dead in that hotel room after stealing all my credits?" He twisted her arm behind her. "Update your repertoire. I heard that line last time."

"Hmph! You just have a lousy sense of humour. You should lighten-- Aaah!" Blast had twisted her arm into a painful position.

"Don't make me kill you to shut you up. You're worth five times as much alive." He steered her towards the nearest vault. "Now, if you're nice and don't struggle, this won't hurt. Too much. Now go." He pushed her forward as she grumbled her complaints.

Blast sighed as they began their journey back towards the inner city. He really needed to think about getting a new job or move to another part of the universe. He kept on running into the same old people.

Matthew Wilson

Apr 27, 2010
I would share some works of mine that are already online but there on an erotica site and I don't want to get banned.
By the way that's not even a joke, I do actually have four chapters of a five chapter series on an erotic site, the last chapter will be finished this week.

TheAceTheOne

Jul 27, 2010
http://khromatickillers.mygameclan.com/pt/Untitled-Horror-Novel--TJs-Next-Big-Project-Chapter1-and-part-of-Chapter-2/blog.htm

It's since been edited and trimmed down, but it's still one of my personal favorites. I kind of stopped working on it when I started writing detective novels, featuring Detective Caine in a Noir kind of style. But I picked the Lovecraftian story back up a little and am transcribing it to paper a bit at a time.

My Detective Caine writings, The Peters Case File and the R.W. Affair (As I call them) have yet to be put on the internet. I'm rather fond of Bradford as a hero, and I'm hoping I can maybe try to merge my noir writing and my horror. Noirror, maybe? XD

Hope you like it, feel free to message me any criticisms and thoughts on my story. Keep in mind that it's still in the works.

(Also, don't expect any ending from what I've written so far. It's not finished and I'm kind of embarrassed that it suddenly drops off at the end like it does.)

TheSnarkKnight

Apr 24, 2011
Ah! What a delightful excuse for us aspiring writers to be self-indulgent for a change. I write jokey and humorous tales about non-serious things, like made scientists turning geese into their own elite ninja army, or cereal that gives kids superpowers, or conflicts that are ultimately resolved by fights atop an airship... Actually, all of those things took place in the last story I attempted to write... that was fun!