The Avengers Hulk Smashes Box Office Record

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
The Avengers Hulk Smashes Box Office Record

The comic book adventure beat out the last Harry Potter film's opening weekend by $31 million.

Unlike the Kentucky Derby's I'll Have Another - 15 to 1 odds? really? - pretty much everyone had a hunch that Joss Whedon's like MovieBob very excited [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5674-Avengers]. All the factors combined to amazing success; The Avengers made $200.3 million in its opening weekend in the U.S.

The previous record-holder for the best domestic box office weekend was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - which made $169.2 million last year. Nearly 52 percent of Avengers viewers saw the film in 3D and the higher average ticket price helped to swell Disney's coffers.

"It's been a fantastic weekend on every single front," said a Disney executive, who is probably pretty dang happy after the studio flopped with John Carter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/5447-John-Carter].

The Avengers debuted internationally last week, which means the $641.8 million it grossed worldwide in 12 days already dwarfs the lifetime totals of Marvel's recent films: Captain America: The First Avenger ($364 million), Thor ($449 million), Iron Man ($585 million) and Iron Man 2 ($624 million).

It's actually kind of sad to look at the list of top-grossing movies last week and realize the second place film Think Like a Man only made $8 million. Hmm, $200 million versus $8 million. Maybe Think Like A Man [http://www.thinklikeaman-movie.com/] should have released a series of films about its characters in the years leading up to its release.

Oh wait, that's Tyler Perry's strategy.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-shocker-avengers-robert-downey-jr-joss-whedon-chris-hemsworth-320725]

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'm glad a blockbuster that isn't Michael Bay (or aspires to BE Michael Bay *groans*) made a mint, even if I'm still uneasy that the mint is going directly into the coffers of Disney.

EDIT: And yes, I saw the Avengers last Friday on opening night at my theater.
It is FUCKING AWESOME.
No, it isn't deep, it isn't Oscar-worthy, but it isn't "Stupid" or "Half-assed" either.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Can't say I'm surprised Avengers is spanking Box Office's all around. Marvel poured Millions, if not Billions, into setting this thing up, there was no way they would half-ass it and let it sink.

Still, nice to see.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
It's nice to see another action movie that doesn't treat me like a brain dead hick doing so well.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
That's good, I was concerned about its numbers following the UK opening, but I guess that it really is America bringing in the big dollars.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
It's probably gonna end up raking in even more. I'm betting there's a good chance that many people who've seen it are gonna do so again.

Nice to see it doing well, that can only mean good things for Marvel's movie division.

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
Man, would I feel stupid if I at one point had this director work on my network, but then canceled his show because I'm a huge dick, and now I couldn't profit off his recent success by re-releasing his previous work.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That doesn't surpise me at all consider how much hype and being the first film base on a few continuity leading up to it.

Bucht

Apr 22, 2010
Actually Disney has confirmed that Marvel's The Avengers made $56.8M yesterday, taking its total for the weekend up to roughly $207.1M, its foreign total to $447.4M and global to $654.5M.

Edit:

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Saw the movie on Saturday, and it was worth every shred of the paper the money was printed on. I totally plan on seeing it again after the crowds die out a little.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Atmos Duality said:
I'm glad a blockbuster that isn't Michael Bay (or aspires to BE Michael Bay *groans*) made a mint, even if I'm still uneasy that the mint is going directly into the coffers of Disney.
I thought Disney owned a small part of Marvel, Spiderman to be exact.

The reason I say this is that people have been saying, when discussing possible future Avengers movies, that Spiderman wouldn't be in them anytime soon, because Disney owns the movie rights to Spiderman.

So I would think that since Disney doesn't own the movie rights to these Marvel superheroes, they wouldn't get any of the money.

Deeeerrrp, I guess I over looked the part about Disney in the article.

Then that begs the question, if this was a part work of Disney, why would people say that Spiderman wouldn't be in any Avengers movies to come, if Disney has the rights? Wouldn't they see the point and allow it?

Steven Rayborn

Mar 1, 2011
I went to my local theater and enjoyed over 15 hours of awesome. They had the Ultimate Marvel Marathon for $40, and it was Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor 3D, Capt. America 3D and then the Avengers 3D. Was there from 11am til the Avengers ended and I don't regret a second of my time, nor a penny spent. Our theater was even cool enough to let everyone in the 2 sold out showing rooms bring in any sort of food they wanted, no bag-checking or anything.

Best. Day. Ever!

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Always remember: Fox fought tooth and nail against the creation of this movie. Fuck them.

Swyftstar

May 19, 2011
It was really good. There may have been better super hero movies but I think this is the best realization of an actual comic book on the big screen.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
Sonic Doctor said:
Atmos Duality said:
I thought Disney owned a small part of Marvel, Spiderman to be exact.

The reason I say this is that people have been saying, when discussing possible future Avengers movies, that Spiderman wouldn't be in them anytime soon, because Disney owns the movie rights to Spiderman.

So I would think that since Disney doesn't own the movie rights to these Marvel superheroes, they wouldn't get any of the money.

Deeeerrrp, I guess I over looked the part about Disney in the article.

Then that begs the question, if this was a part work of Disney, why would people say that Spiderman wouldn't be in any Avengers movies to come, if Disney has the rights? Wouldn't they see the point and allow it?
I believe Disney owns Marvel wholesale (someone correct me if I'm wrong). But back before Superhero movies were the next big thing, they sold the rights to Spiderman and X-men movies. Which is why no matter how much they may suck the people who bought the rights will continue to make Spiderman and X-men movies so the rights don't return to Disney.

Heck this is why the Skrulls weren't the alien army in this movie, because they sold the rights to Fantastic 4 movies. And Skrulls originally appeared in the Fantastic 4 comic, so by whatever weird legal logic they use there considered part of the deal.

So any characters that were part of these works we will never see as part of this new evolving marvel movie world that they've created.

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
it was Avengers weekend for me and my friends, Saturday we watch all the previous films (Iron man, Iron Man 2, Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America) and the two shorts back to back from 11am to 9pm along with huge submarine sandwiches for lunch and several pizzas for dinner, with popcorn, doritos and salsa, chocolate and beer. then on Sunday we watched the Avengers in 3D in a fairly empty cinema as it was the 11am showing, when we got out of the showing the cinema was packed!

it was a Glorious weekend.