The Avengers: Infinity War (Red Carpet Premiere)

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
trunkage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
trunkage said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yeah, even if you didn't know this was the first of a two-parter, "Untitled 2019 Spider-Man Homecoming Sequel" and "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 (2020)" sort of shrug off the 'shock' of the ending. I couldn't even begin to guess who doesn't come back, the way everything's set up there's an escape clause for everybody.

The big deal is that Thanos snaps his fingers and just like that a whole bunch of people just fade out of existence. That's Bucky, Falcon, Wanda, Panther, most of the Guardians (except Rocket), Spidey, Strange, Fury and Hill. It's a safe bet this is reversed by the next movie. As for the bunch of people who die or appear to die before: with the exception of Heimdall, because who gives a shit, the others can easily return. Loki can pull another fakeout. Gamora can come back out of wherever Young Gamora is. Vision is just a robot - rebuild him. This without even taking into account the possibility of rewinding time, which Thanos does (briefly) near the end.
Here what I felt about Thanos
He's actually a Reaper
Whether that's a joke or a reference I don't get it.
He's a Mass Effect Reaper. They kill indiscriminately to perverse the rest of the population of the galaxy. Well, not quite as indiscriminately. They kill the top tier races so the primitive ones can flourish. They thought they were giving mercy and protecting by killing
Ah gotcha. Yeah Thanos supposedly is indiscriminate about who he kills. And while the movie carefully tries to create that sense of randomly assigned doom I couldn't help but notice that
none of the main Avengers got killed
and those who did can easily be retconned by Part II.
and any of the main Avengers have a good chance of surviving Prt2. Even Chris Evans who everyone thinks is going do die in Prt2 has only said he's not contracted for any movies after, not that Captain dies. Marvel could easily just re contract him and bam, more Captain. I can't understand why anyone thinks Marvel would let any of their big stars leave so they can't bring their characters back. Having Iron Man in Spiderman 2, or Captain and Bucky in Black Panther 2 would double ticket sales. I'm not worried about who survives Prt2 because everyone will, because Marvel is a business first and foremost.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, don't care about spoilers, but can someone explain Thanos's plan/motives to me? He wants to wipe out half of all life in the universe to "preserve" the universe or something? Is the universe so small in the MCU that space is at a premium? Is the rate of repopulation so slow that losing half one's population means it'll never return to its original level? Is he able to comment on the status of other galaxies beyond our own?

Y'know, the idea of reducing Earth's population to save humanity and/or Earth does have logic to it, however potentially horrific the means might be, but are the writers really suggesting the universe is reaching carrying capacity?

Laughing Man

Oct 10, 2008
So, don't care about spoilers, but can someone explain Thanos's plan/motives to me? He wants to wipe out half of all life in the universe to "preserve" the universe or something? Is the universe so small in the MCU that space is at a premium?
Two factors that explain his plan

1. He watched as his own planet crumbled and died as the resource on it was consumed, he suggested his kill half the population plan and that didn't go down well, he then opts to carry out his plan on other worlds but given that this requires time and resource he is clearly looking for a quicker way to complete his plan.

2. One of the planets he carries out his plan on is the one he gets Gamora from, he explains to her that prior to his arrival children (because 'won't someone please think of the children' always puts the message across better) were starving fighting for resource and the planet was dying. Since he carried out his plan the world is now wonderful and the children no longer have to go hungry. The thing about this is unlike other bad guys who try to justify their plans through lies and hyperbolia the way Thanos is portrayed here I actually believe he is telling the truth to her.

The logic of his plan doesn't really have to extend to how big the Universe is or how much space their really is in it (think about how big our solar system is and then think about what percentage of that can actually support life or in fact has the resource to support life), in simple terms he says that their is a finite amount of resource in the Universe and that life left unchecked will grow until it consumes it all.

The plan has logic behind it is it better than killing half the population of the Universe to impress a woman (death) I dunno?

Characters who 'die' in this one are already slated to appear in other movies outside of Avengers 4, so what was the point?! Marvel undercut all their dramatic story telling. Some, some might stay dead(like 1 or 2 at best) but even then I doubt it.
No actually they have done exactly what research has proven is the best thing, you see it has been proven that people actually enjoy watching movies, TV shows if they have an idea about what is going to happen next

https://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/spoiler-alert-spoilers-make-you-enjoy-stories-more

the key is not knowing who is going to live or die it is about finding out HOW they get to were they are going. I have no illusion about the fact that most if not ALL the Avengers who died here will return but what I am looking forward to is finding out HOW they will go about it, after all Dr Strange seemed said very matter of fact that if push came to shove he would leave everyone else to die to stop Thanos from obtaining the Time Stone, he then uses the Time Stone took look at the future, and says their is only 1 chance in the 14million outcomes he viewed for them to win and then suddenly hands over the Time Stone without a fight, why? how does him saving Ironman and giving Thanos what he wants serve them? He doesn't explain but just does, all these people talking about ruining the drama or sense of tension 'because we know they will come back' are TALKING BOLLOCKS as I said it isn't knowing they will come back it is finding out HOW they will come back.

Using your Captain Picard example, so you knew that he was contracted for a further three seasons, I assume at that point you turned off the TV and gave no more fucks about what happened next, after all no way he's going to die he's got a three year contract. No sense of tension or drama watching Riker order the Enterprise to fire, not wonder at how the Borg would over come the weapon designed to kill them, no entertainment to be had from wondering how they would save Picard or if Wolf 359 would have any chance of stopping them or how they would stop the Borg, or weather or not the effects of being captured by the Borg would have any kind of long term effects... no of course not Jean Luc Picard is contracted for another three seasons so everything else after that is boring and lacking in drama or tension. You already know the destination (or at least a part of it) the fun comes in the journey getting there.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Hawki said:
So, don't care about spoilers, but can someone explain Thanos's plan/motives to me? He wants to wipe out half of all life in the universe to "preserve" the universe or something? Is the universe so small in the MCU that space is at a premium? Is the rate of repopulation so slow that losing half one's population means it'll never return to its original level? Is he able to comment on the status of other galaxies beyond our own?

Y'know, the idea of reducing Earth's population to save humanity and/or Earth does have logic to it, however potentially horrific the means might be, but are the writers really suggesting the universe is reaching carrying capacity?
Thanos wants to wipe out half of every living thing of every planet and it's never explained in a way that makes sense. His planet died to overpopulation so now apparently he goes from planet to planet killing half of everything. This raises more questions than it answers. "Everything" apparently refers to anything vaguely humanoid rather than other kinds of lifeforms, and I think it's awfully presumptuous to assume that overpopulation is an issue everywhere or that it can be sorted out the same way. Just doesn't make a lot of sense except as a direct threat to Earth. As for why would Thanos care if Earth self-destroys or not, it's beyond me.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Laughing Man said:
The fun of the journey only really exists if its an actual journey. If you're already at the destination, then the journey is just busy work.
To use Picard, the Best of Both World storyline would have been way better if they hadn't announced Stewart already contracted through it. It defeats the purpose of dangling the 'Will he die?!?!' carrot if the press release from the day before is 'Patrick Stewart confirms 3 more years of Star Trek'

With Infinity war, they killed too many. No other stakes will be as important, and we know all of them are coming back because they've already announced they are. So its all 'feel sad this guy is dead, until 2 movies from now when he's back, and the next movie will be his'

Johnny Novgorod said:
Also they don't explain how the universe is finite. I think they mean Galaxy, which yes is limited if vast beyond comprehension, but the universe if infinite. That's the whole point. You can't run out of existence. There will always be a larger, more resource rich Galaxy somewhere to go to. There's no way physically to have so many people of all species in all galaxies to fill up the universe. There are more planets in the universe than there ever will be people from all races combined.

Also how does killing half of everyone solve over-population if they can just reproduce? Like as anyone who's tried to kill mice, killing half doesn't do it - they make more.
Eventually, in a few hundred years, humanity will be back to the 7-billion range. And what, does Thanos check up on every world? Or does he just snap his fingers again and kill half of everyone, again?

Kendritch

Apr 22, 2018

I could relate. I was speechless at the end. It's what I wanted to happen, but never expected Marvel to have the balls to go through with it.

Feb 26, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hawki said:

Thanos wants to wipe out half of every living thing of every planet and it's never explained in a way that makes sense. His planet died to overpopulation so now apparently he goes from planet to planet killing half of everything. This raises more questions than it answers. "Everything" apparently refers to anything vaguely humanoid rather than other kinds of lifeforms, and I think it's awfully presumptuous to assume that overpopulation is an issue everywhere or that it can be sorted out the same way. Just doesn't make a lot of sense except as a direct threat to Earth. As for why would Thanos care if Earth self-destroys or not, it's beyond me.
Thanos doesn't think of himself as a villain. He's committing what he believes to be a necessary evil. If you see someone being robbed or assaulted, you don't ask them if they need help. So Thanos is helping. And he's even got a success story. While it's true that we only see him kill humanoid aliens, it isn't safe to just assume that's all he's done. He intends to kill off half the universe. He never specifies, so take him at his word. He made half of all life disappear.

Silentpony said:
Also they don't explain how the universe is finite. I think they mean Galaxy, which yes is limited if vast beyond comprehension, but the universe if infinite. That's the whole point. You can't run out of existence. There will always be a larger, more resource rich Galaxy somewhere to go to. There's no way physically to have so many people of all species in all galaxies to fill up the universe. There are more planets in the universe than there ever will be people from all races combined.

Also how does killing half of everyone solve over-population if they can just reproduce? Like as anyone who's tried to kill mice, killing half doesn't do it - they make more.
Eventually, in a few hundred years, humanity will be back to the 7-billion range. And what, does Thanos check up on every world? Or does he just snap his fingers again and kill half of everyone, again?
From what I understand about the expansion of the universe, it doesn't necessarily have infinite resources, just space. Not that I'd know. And honestly, it doesn't matter. Thanos thinks that the Universe wont be able to handle unchecked population growth and decided to do something about it. He doesn't really have much proof except for a sob story about his own planet, but he doesn't really need it. He's got the power. He could very well be wrong about everything he's said, but that doesn't matter because he thinks he's right.

You're all aware that when Batman V Superman killed off Sups, people actually believed he was dead, right? We, the few who've read the comics/are cynical a-holes, know better. But the general public? No idea. So anyone who dies in Infinity War, if anyone dies, is dead to them.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Captain Marvelous said:
People aren't that stupid. That's just what BuzzFeed and Yahoo want to report, because 9 people 'blew up twitter with #MySuperman'
Anyone who follows Marvel at all knows

they confirmed a Spider Man sequel years ago, so why worry he's dead?

and its not cynical to pay attention. Marvel announces a sequel to Black Panther. That tells me, the cynic apparently, that Black Panther is in that movie. To be fair Black Panther 2 could theoretically be about Warmaster Horus, Wilma Flintstone and Bill the janitor watching As the World Turns and have nothing to do with Marvel and be a 90min long Ben and Jerrys commercial, but its a safer bet it involves Black Panther and Marvel comics. It doesn't take a cynic to figure that out.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Kendritch said:

I could relate. I was speechless at the end. It's what I wanted to happen, but never expected Marvel to have the balls to go through with it.
You know they're just gonna push Reset next year right?

Feb 26, 2014
Silentpony said:
Captain Marvelous said:
People aren't that stupid. That's just what BuzzFeed and Yahoo want to report, because 9 people 'blew up twitter with #MySuperman'
Anyone who follows Marvel at all knows

they confirmed a Spider Man sequel years ago, so why worry he's dead?

and its not cynical to pay attention. Marvel announces a sequel to Black Panther. That tells me, the cynic apparently, that Black Panther is in that movie. To be fair Black Panther 2 could theoretically be about Warmaster Horus, Wilma Flintstone and Bill the janitor watching As the World Turns and have nothing to do with Marvel and be a 90min long Ben and Jerrys commercial, but its a safer bet it involves Black Panther and Marvel comics. It doesn't take a cynic to figure that out.
The "/" was kinda of an "and/or" but honestly, if you've been on the Escapist for a while you're probably a cynical a-hole. You're also overestimating the general public. When I went to go see it I could hear people going "I can't believe they killed Spider-Man!" and so on. At the very least they forgot about those announced sequels in the theater. I'm also sad I'm the only one that reacted to Captain Marvel's symbol.

Kendritch

Apr 22, 2018
Johnny Novgorod said:
Kendritch said:
Yeah, I knew. It was obvious when certain characters died. But that ending still felt real in the moment of it, in spite of what I realized seconds after. I don't mind that there's a reset. It's still effective storytelling, and I don't see how they could've told IW any other way.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Captain Marvelous said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hawki said:

Thanos doesn't think of himself as a villain. He's committing what he believes to be a necessary evil. If you see someone being robbed or assaulted, you don't ask them if they need help. So Thanos is helping. And he's even got a success story. While it's true that we only see him kill humanoid aliens, it isn't safe to just assume that's all he's done. He intends to kill off half the universe. He never specifies, so take him at his word. He made half of all life disappear.

Silentpony said:

From what I understand about the expansion of the universe, it doesn't necessarily have infinite resources, just space. Not that I'd know. And honestly, it doesn't matter. Thanos thinks that the Universe wont be able to handle unchecked population growth and decided to do something about it. He doesn't really have much proof except for a sob story about his own planet, but he doesn't really need it. He's got the power. He could very well be wrong about everything he's said, but that doesn't matter because he thinks he's right.

You're all aware that when Batman V Superman killed off Sups, people actually believed he was dead, right? We, the few who've read the comics/are cynical a-holes, know better. But the general public? No idea. So anyone who dies in Infinity War, if anyone dies, is dead to them.
You know there's much talk about cynicism but I don't need to be a "cynical asshole" to spot "Untitled Spider-Man Homecoming sequel" and other 4 or 5 assorted MCU movies listed as being developed on IMDB. Just be a little inquisitive/observant.

On observation: the Marvel movies have done nothing but throw fakeout after fakeout regarding character deaths. Bucky appears to die in Captain America, is back in Winter Soldier. Coulson dies in Avengers, is back for his own show. Nick Fury gets assassinated in Winter Soldier, is back by the end of the movie. Loki dies in Thor 2, is back by the end. Iron Man gets I don't know how many death scenes. And then for all the teasing nobody dies in something called Civil WAR.

So it's less about cynicism and more about common sense. Twenty something movies go on to prove that anybody who isn't a mentor in an origin story or a villain of the week can come back at any point.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Kendritch said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Kendritch said:
Yeah, I knew. It was obvious when certain characters died. But that ending still felt real in the moment of it, in spite of what I realized seconds after. I don't mind that there's a reset. It's still effective storytelling, and I don't see how they could've told IW any other way.
I guess a single, full movie was too much to ask.
I enjoyed the movie for the action and the humor but I didn't connect at all with it, emotionally. The ending is such an obvious tease that I couldn't take it seriously. I was surprised in the sense that I expected something more upbeat, but I didn't buy the "bold move" for a second.

Feb 26, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
Captain Marvelous said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Hawki said:

Silentpony said:

You know there's much talk about cynicism but I don't need to be a "cynical asshole" to spot "Untitled Spider-Man Homecoming sequel" and other 4 or 5 assorted MCU movies listed as being developed on IMDB. Just be a little inquisitive/observant.

On observation: the Marvel movies have done nothing but throw fakeout after fakeout regarding character deaths. Bucky appears to die in Captain America, is back in Winter Soldier. Coulson dies in Avengers, is back for his own show. Nick Fury gets assassinated in Winter Soldier, is back by the end of the movie. Loki dies in Thor 2, is back by the end. Iron Man gets I don't know how many death scenes. And then for all the teasing nobody dies in something called Civil WAR.

So it's less about cynicism and more about common sense. Twenty something movies go on to prove that anybody who isn't a mentor in an origin story or a villain of the week can come back at any point.
Yeah, but that's comics for ya'. Death never sticks and hell has a revolving door. If anyone did die in Civil War, you can bet your ass they'd be brought back somehow. Frankly, all the appeal from comic book movies is seeing these characters I like brought to life on the big screen. If the story happens to be great, fantastic! But I wont hold my breath because the medium it comes from happens to also suck a lot of the time. Speaking specifically of DC and Marvel, of course.

And I was kidding about the cynical a-hole thing.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm sorry Johnny, but who is that stupid? Who, in the 'general population' that know superman as a hero of the last 70 years, but not enough to know OF the history of superman of the last 70 years, sees a new Superman in 1.5 movies, dies, and thinks 'Well that's the last of Superman, he's LITERALLY dead and LITERALLY will NEVER be seen again, END OF SENTENCE, NO MORE SUPERMAN!'
I think Hollywood think's its more clever than it think's it is, and very very VERY few people think Spider man, Black Panther or Nick Fury are actually 'dead' and will never, ever, EVER come back in any form in the MCU, totes for realz over.

These are comic book characters, and very profitable ones that. I doubt even a single character will have died by the end of Infinity war, and that includes Thanos.

Feb 26, 2014
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
I'm sorry Johnny, but who is that stupid? Who, in the 'general population' that know superman as a hero of the last 70 years, but not enough to know OF the history of superman of the last 70 years, sees a new Superman in 1.5 movies, dies, and thinks 'Well that's the last of Superman, he's LITERALLY dead and LITERALLY will NEVER be seen again, END OF SENTENCE, NO MORE SUPERMAN!'
I think Hollywood think's its more clever than it think's it is, and very very VERY few people think Spider man, Black Panther or Nick Fury are actually 'dead' and will never, ever, EVER come back in any form in the MCU, totes for realz over.

These are comic book characters, and very profitable ones that. I doubt even a single character will have died by the end of Infinity war, and that includes Thanos.
I, uh, I think you may have made a mistake there. But honestly, yeah, I do think there are a crap-ton of people who know Superman, Clark Kent, Lex Luther, Lois Lane, maybe Zod, and just about nothing else. Sure, Superman has a rich and long history, but I highly doubt that many people actually know it or could name 5 of his villains. And sure, There have been a few Superman and Spider-Man reboots, but it's more like, "Superman/Spider-Man/Batman/etc is dead in this story" Not that they're gone forever but that this version is gone. I've had to explain that Superman will return after BvS too many times to count, to family, friends, and co-workers. A lot of people believed Superman was gone. It isn't necessarily stupidity, they just don't know.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Even casting aside comic tropes, BvS shows the dirt levitating on Supes's grave - this isn't even a post-credits teaser, it comes before the credits. So how the heck could anyone have thought he wouldn't be coming back?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Hawki said:
Even casting aside comic tropes, BvS shows the dirt levitating on Supes's grave - this isn't even a post-credits teaser, it comes before the credits. So how the heck could anyone have thought he wouldn't be coming back?
That's what I'm struggling with.

When I saw Infinity war with the gang, everyone was kinda pissed at the movie. My GF turned to me when Black Panther and Spider man died and was 'wait, they're making other movies with them, right? So they have to come back' and my other friends were just shaking their heads like 'that's dumb, why would they do that?'

It was very lazy and cheap, and painfully obvious that the dead characters are coming back

So too with Superman. I can't imagine who is such a 'casual' movie goer that they miss blatantly obvious messaging like dirt floating.

Super Cyborg

Jul 25, 2014
Yes, it's obvious the route things will go next movie, but I still thought it was really well done and enjoyed the movie fully. Thanos was a great villain with some pretty great scenes, moments where he felt human despite knowing how much of a monster he is.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Silentpony said:
Johnny Novgorod said:

I expect Thanos is either confined to one of those ready-made "fates worse than death" or if he does indeed die it's his own fault - refuses a helping hand, goes for a suicide move, is overwhelmed with power, something like that. That's every villain in these movies so far with the exception of Ultron, I think? The heroes never have to get their hands dirty. Not even for a genocidal maniac alien. And if they do it's gotta be framed like a dumb "technically Greedo shot first" scene - like Ultron.

I knew Thanos wasn't dying as soon as Thor plunged that axe into him. No way Disney lets the hero axe the bad guy.