The Baby Has A Name: Xbox One

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Tank207 said:
luvd1 said:
Froggy Slayer said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

Welp, nice knowing you Microsoft. You crazy, crazy assholes.
Really? REALLY!?! They will charge you to play a second hand game? You can't even lend a friend a game in that case.
If I am reading that right, it is only if you're installing the game on the hard drive so you don't have to play it from the disc. As far as I can tell from that article you can still play the game as long as the disc is in the console. I still think it's stupid, but it isn't as bad as I initially thought from your reactions.
Alas not. You have to install the game to HDD. It's partly to force you to link it to your account so it's now locked to you, and partly because the BluRay disk read speed is nowhere near quick enough to fill 8gigs of RAM in anything approaching a reasonable timeframe. Without HDD installation, load times would be horrendous.

As a lifelong console gamer, the installation is extremely annoying. As a game developer, the HDD install has made our lives a little easier.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
FizzyIzze said:
Froggy Slayer said:
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/407912/microsoft-confirms-pre-owned-fee-for-xbox-one/

Welp, nice knowing you Microsoft. You crazy, crazy assholes.
Not that I buy a lot of used games, but that's just a dick move if true.

Okay, so that's for installing only? Logistically that should be interesting to say the least. I wonder if hard drive installs would significantly improve load times and performance with the next generation.
It makes a big difference for us. One of our early concerns when working with the prototype hardware last year was, basically, "how the f@*k are we going to get 8gigs of data from the BluRay drive without the gamer dying of old age"?!

From a gamer's perspective, the install is annoying, because that's the whole point of consoles - no installs! But from an end-user experience perspective, the install is worth it to cut down on load times.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
Silversoul said:
I can imagine kids pissing their brothers and sisters off by just coming into the room while their playing and saying "XBox Off"
Well, it's meant to be tied to the voice of whoever turned it on. That's how it knows which Live account to log into when it boots up. When you're setting it up, you register your voice with it, and it 'recognizes' you...

That's the theory, anyway. I can't help thinking the voice commands will end in tears, kind of how you predict.

DiamanteGeeza

Jun 25, 2010
ToastiestZombie said:
Gmans uncle said:
So our lineup for the next 5ish years is (if I'm hearing this correctly) PS4, Xbox One, and WiiU... Are all the naming departments on strike at these giant electronics corporations or something?
PS4 is fine, and the only one there that actually sounds like a successor.

PS1
PS2
PS3
PS4

Wii
Wii U

Xbox
Xbox 360
Xbox One

The Playstation naming department still have basic maths skills.
This must havbe been the Microsoft 'progress bar' department's job to come up with the names. Their math never works out either... LOL.