The Baby Has A Name: Xbox One

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Meh...

I'll stick with the PC and a PS4 once it becomes available for bargain bin price. I don't really see the need to play any exclusives for these consoles. Most of them that catch my fancy come to PC eventually or are exclusive to Sony.

Not to mention I just don't want Microsoft's multimedia device in my house. It has nothing to offer and quite honestly has more bad than good especially with it's focus on being a living room PC rather than a gaming console.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Desert Punk said:
The PS3 had the same controller as the PS2, but it wasnt an extension of the PS2 was it?
The PS3 was a different console because of the other features i.e. video game downloading, shopping, and demos, real online play, PS Move, etc, and a serious graphical overhaul (seeing as most PS2 games looked worse than DC titles, let alone its other competitors).

The PS4 only seems like a marginally better looking gaming system, with the ability to share footage of your game with your friends.

Sonic Doctor said:
Why drastically change something that is pretty much perfect? I really couldn't have thought of anything to change on the 360 controller. Totally comfortable, totally works.
The d-pad sucks, as do the shoulder buttons.

It's a pretty good controller, but FAR from perfect.

VoidWanderer

Sep 17, 2011
Can we tell this baby to sit in the corner, until Microsoft stops looking at the PS3 release notes?

Using 'special' technology which prevents them from hands-down winning the 'console wars', Microsoft have screwed themselves OUT of backwards compatibility. I get why the PS3 can't but this is Microsoft... surely they know that backwards compatibility would've been a winning idea... Unlike them blocking used games...

I am actually looking forward to my PS4 when it comes out around November, if the release date for Watch Dogs is any indication.

Edit: And, seriously, how hideous is that controller!?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
When i heard Xbox One i though it meant the first Xbox, you know, the one that was jsut named "Xbox". this name wont work for marketing at all.
Voice commands. as much as i woudl like to talk to HAL, i dont wnat to attempt to give orders with my mouth full and thne have it reinterpret, or do stuff while im talking to a friend.

"What if a single box could provide all your entertainment?"
It already does. It is called a PC. you should have heard about it, after all you make the software for it.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
weirdguy said:
Arina Love said:
while Sony nailed their reveal, MS was disappointing so much fluff and uninteresting stuff i barely made through an hour it took without turning it off.
nailed reveal = not actually showing console?

i guess our standards are a bit lower these days...
it's a black box with BD slot and USB in it, it doesn't matter how it looks like.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
Terramax said:
Sonic Doctor said:
Why drastically change something that is pretty much perfect? I really couldn't have thought of anything to change on the 360 controller. Totally comfortable, totally works.
The d-pad sucks, as do the shoulder buttons.

It's a pretty good controller, but FAR from perfect.
I don't know if I'd call it far from perfect, but I'm just being pedantic, because I totally agree with you about the godawful D-Pad and weird, clicky bumper-buttons. I'm in agreement with Sonic Doctor about everything else, though. I think the 360 controller was the perfect shape, weight, had the best face buttons, great analogue sticks and the triggers were exactly what they needed to be. I'm pleased to see that they seem to have fixed the d-pad at least.

Various other opinions;

I like the design of the console itself. Simple, minimalist, all flat surfaces, it's great. The comparisons to VCR/VHS players are obvious, but it's a rectangular black box, of course it looks like other rectangular boxes. It's just a particularly pleasant rectangular black box.

Name is dumb.

The promise of 15 exclusives in the first year is excellent, but how many of those are going to be Kinect-centric titles? Don't get my wrong, as one of the few people here who actually likes Kinect - my family and friends visit often and it's a great way to entertain a room full of gamers and non-gamers alike - I'll be interested in seeing a few Kinect games, but I don't want an onslaught of motion-control titles, I want core games.

They need to nip that used game fee thing in the bud, because all the mild approval I have for the title is immediately lost on this. I barely even buy used games, mostly 'cause I'm too impatient and so buy anything I want to play immediately, but it's the principle of the thing.

Silly Hats

Dec 26, 2012
arc1991 said:
Baldr said:
They been saying all day, this press conference was to show off the machine, the E3 Press Conference is to show off the games.
Can i hug you, seriously can i?

thank god someone payed attention other than myself.
They're trying to sell a console and it's being presented poorly.

It's like throwing a dinner party then inviting everyone to come back a week later for the second course followed my dessert. By all means do it, but everyone wants to see a degree of professionalism.

I won't buy one, i'm fine with my computer currently. Depending on the game releases I might change my mind in a year or two.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Adon Cabre said:
It won't be wise to go PC. With Nintendo's back against the wall and a next-gen war about to hit in the fall, we're going to have probably the most diverse and invigorating amount of content ever released for console launch.

[HEADING=3]It's all about Exclusives[/HEADING]

Microsoft announced that eight new IP's will be coming out next year. I bet that half of them are XboxOne exclusives. The same is happening for Sony.

[http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/28/shock-konami-still-wont-confirm-metal-gear-5-on-pc/]​

If we take a lesson from Red Dead Redemption, RockStar will never release Grand Theft Auto V for the PC. Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain also will not make the PC, unlike Metal Gear Rising: Reavengance which was produced by Platinum Games, not Konami.

Why do you think SONY will have 1 hour of extra content on Watchdogs? Because they supported those studios at Ubisoft more than did Microsoft. This is being practiced by both companies.

[http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/14/thatgamecompany-very-lucky-to-sign-with-sony/]​

And PC gamers won't be able to rely on the absolute best of Indie titles, as the most talented of these developers will get courted off by the big two, like thatgamingcompany's alliance with SONY. The talent pool will be sucked up into titles devised solely for Microsoft, SONY or Nintendo. That's the way business works.

[h4]pictures have links[/h4]
I don't think the PC is going to be as bad off as you think it's going to be. It's going to have its own exclusives if just for games that need to have keyboard and mouse controls. Not only that but this generation we've seen Microsoft put plenty of their exclusives on Windows, because they own that too. Although I never expect Metal Gear Solid games to be released on PC (The vast majority are Playstation exclusives), you are being way too presumptuous about Grand Theft Auto V. As for Indie devs, even if they make every single success story into exclusives, we will still get plenty of new devs they never saw coming. The rising and stable success of Steam and the long term backward compatibility make PC a safe choice, even without out famous big name exclusives. You pick a new consul to early and you are left with something that could die out and stop making games. Take that form a Sega Saturn and Gamecube player.

minnull

Feb 10, 2010
It's not a bad name, albeit, it throws off the consistency with the naming convention (of which there hasn't been any with the Xbox brand). I think the reasoning behind calling it "One" is to illustrate the new Xbox's prime focus of being an all-in-one box for games, movies, social, etc. I love reading comments right after an announcement this big because it's always interesting to read the initial reaction vs. the reaction during launch. We'll get acquainted with the name over the next few months, the name itself will become so familiar no one (except the ones that troll) will pay much mind to it. You also have to take into consideration the sheer level of commitment Microsoft has to marketing for the Xbox; by the time the One comes out most people that have reservations will be on board.

I'm not a fanboy or anything like that, just stating how similar reactions have progressed in the past. Also, One does have significance as being the next step to 360, since you have to make a complete 360 degree turn to arrive back to the first degree (one).

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
I can't wait for the PlayStation 1.
Seriously though, the first thing I thought when I heard the name was that it's some kind of joke. I mean, it's the third xbox. Just... what are they thinking?

Also, I'm more likely to buy a new PS3 than a PS4 or xbox 3. That's right. xbox 3. It's not the first one, dumbasses. Also, no more capitalization for you microsoft!

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
Silly Hats said:
arc1991 said:
Baldr said:
They been saying all day, this press conference was to show off the machine, the E3 Press Conference is to show off the games.
Can i hug you, seriously can i?

thank god someone payed attention other than myself.
They're trying to sell a console and it's being presented poorly.

It's like throwing a dinner party then inviting everyone to come back a week later for the second course followed my dessert. By all means do it, but everyone wants to see a degree of professionalism.

I won't buy one, i'm fine with my computer currently. Depending on the game releases I might change my mind in a year or two.
Lol, that's pretty good. Though it's actually a bit more like they invited a bunch of guests to a dinner party, and showed them the new flatware, and how it can connect to the kitchen to tell them what you like, and show you what all your friends are eating for dinner, and how it's the only flatware they'll ever need in their dinning room, then served a bit of amuse bouche, and said to be sure to come to the other dinner party in a few weeks so they can sample the appetizers.

I still can't believe Sony stock did what it did yesterday, that was hilarious- at the start of the day it was completely flat, then immediately following the unveiling, it climbed 9.25% by close of day, while Microsoft remained flat with a few minor dips and recoveries.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Changing the controller wasn't necessary at all...they really could have just kept it as is, but noooo...they have to make money on controllers, too, never mind attempting to have a monopoly on the entertainment market by providing everything all at once.

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
drisky said:
Adon Cabre said:
It won't be wise to go PC. With Nintendo's back against the wall and a next-gen war about to hit in the fall, we're going to have probably the most diverse and invigorating amount of content ever released for console launch.

[HEADING=3]It's all about Exclusives[/HEADING]

Microsoft announced that eight new IP's will be coming out next year. I bet that half of them are XboxOne exclusives. The same is happening for Sony.

[http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/28/shock-konami-still-wont-confirm-metal-gear-5-on-pc/]​

If we take a lesson from Red Dead Redemption, RockStar will never release Grand Theft Auto V for the PC. Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain also will not make the PC, unlike Metal Gear Rising: Reavengance which was produced by Platinum Games, not Konami.

Why do you think SONY will have 1 hour of extra content on Watchdogs? Because they supported those studios at Ubisoft more than did Microsoft. This is being practiced by both companies.

[http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/14/thatgamecompany-very-lucky-to-sign-with-sony/]​

And PC gamers won't be able to rely on the absolute best of Indie titles, as the most talented of these developers will get courted off by the big two, like thatgamingcompany's alliance with SONY. The talent pool will be sucked up into titles devised solely for Microsoft, SONY or Nintendo. That's the way business works.

[h4]pictures have links[/h4]
I don't think the PC is going to be as bad off as you think it's going to be. It's going to have its own exclusives if just for games that need to have keyboard and mouse controls. Not only that but this generation we've seen Microsoft put plenty of their exclusives on Windows, because they own that too. Although I never expect Metal Gear Solid games to be released on PC (The vast majority are Playstation exclusives), you are being way too presumptuous about Grand Theft Auto V. As for Indie devs, even if they make every single success story into exclusives, we will still get plenty of new devs they never saw coming. The rising and stable success of Steam and the long term backward compatibility make PC a safe choice, even without out famous big name exclusives. You pick a new consul to early and you are left with something that could die out and stop making games. Take that form a Sega Saturn and Gamecube player.
Nonsense, my Playstation 2 is 11 years old and still chuggin'. There's also an inexhaustible quantity of them circling the world.

I don't understand what your saying about Microsoft, since Halo 3 & 4 never made it to Windows Live. Publishers don't want people buying PC games. I just can't justify not having the best; Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain, Grand Theft Auto V, Last of Us, The Last Guardian, Deep Down and several other juicy exclusives.

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
Adon Cabre said:
Nonsense, my Playstation 2 is 11 years old and still chuggin'. There's also an inexhaustible quantity of them circling the world.

I don't understand what your saying about Microsoft, since Halo 3 & 4 never made it to Windows Live. Publishers don't want people buying PC games. I just can't justify not having the best; Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain, Grand Theft Auto V, Last of Us, The Last Guardian, Deep Down and several other juicy exclusives.
I never implied that we have to stop playing our consoles when we get new ones, but I still like backwards compatibility. My snes, genisis, sega saturn, N64, game boy advance, ds and psp are all broken. Systems break down over time and it takes money to replace them. From my quick look, a new ps2, one where you know the condition it is in, costs about 62 USD. Its an extra cost and although you say its an inexhaustible quantity of them, they will get rarer over time. If I can get digital downloads of old games it won't be as much of a problum anyway. Digital downloads prevent things like when Final Fantasty 7 was over $100 used on ebay. If x box and playstation get good digital markets with games form the past two generations, it would really help me personally to care more about the system.

The Microsoft cross platform thing I said, that was actually a poorly researched on my part. A while back I was thinking about how I didn't care about 360 exclusives. I was thinking about how the only games I liked on the 360 that weren't available on PS3 were Mass Effect and Bioshock, and PS3 got both of those eventually. At the end of the generation, the only game I would have missed, by never playing 360, that I liked, was Tales of Vesperia. However I just looked it up, and the only game that was really popular, and only on X box and PC was Gears of War. So I'll have to say I was wrong on that statement.

Finally, you say publishers don't want people playing PC games, but so many games this generation were on all three HD systems. This generation had very few 3rd party exclusives. Publishers wanted to put their games out on as many systems as possible. When PC's didn't get ports, it was because they thought it would be a poor investment, because PC gaming is a fringe market with high piracy, not because they don't want people buying PC games. The idea that publishers only want you to buy a game in particular forms is silly. They will be happy no matter what system you buy it on, so long as you buy it.

This response has been a lot more long winded then I had planned so sorry if it got ranty. But basically I've been gaming primarily on my computer the past 2 years and have been very satisfied with the results. You said buying a PC is unwise but I see it as stable and growing although small. This doesn't mean I think it's the only good choice however, I think the PS 4 is going to do just fine, likely being the most successful of the generation, but thats just a guess.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
So we may have to install games, and then we can only install them once? Are they now going to start to price the games like PC games ? I think not.

I am totaly underwhelmed by this whole new generation of consoles, i will stick with my pc. If my situation changes and i want to play games on the tv i will just build a mini ITX pc with a case that does not have cheap tacky shiny black plastic.

Silversoul

Nov 19, 2009
I can imagine kids pissing their brothers and sisters off by just coming into the room while their playing and saying "XBox Off"

Adon Cabre

Jun 14, 2012
drisky said:
Adon Cabre said:
I never implied that we have to stop playing our consoles when we get new ones, but I still like backwards compatibility. My snes, genisis, sega saturn, N64, game boy advance, ds and psp are all broken. Systems break down over time and it takes money to replace them. From my quick look, a new ps2, one where you know the condition it is in, costs about 62 USD. Its an extra cost and although you say its an inexhaustible quantity of them, they will get rarer over time. If I can get digital downloads of old games it won't be as much of a problum anyway. Digital downloads prevent things like when Final Fantasty 7 was over $100 used on ebay. If x box and playstation get good digital markets with games form the past two generations, it would really help me personally to care more about the system.

The Microsoft cross platform thing I said, that was actually a poorly researched on my part. A while back I was thinking about how I didn't care about 360 exclusives. I was thinking about how the only games I liked on the 360 that weren't available on PS3 were Mass Effect and Bioshock, and PS3 got both of those eventually. At the end of the generation, the only game I would have missed, by never playing 360, that I liked, was Tales of Vesperia. However I just looked it up, and the only game that was really popular, and only on X box and PC was Gears of War. So I'll have to say I was wrong on that statement.

Finally, you say publishers don't want people playing PC games, but so many games this generation were on all three HD systems. This generation had very few 3rd party exclusives. Publishers wanted to put their games out on as many systems as possible. When PC's didn't get ports, it was because they thought it would be a poor investment, because PC gaming is a fringe market with high piracy, not because they don't want people buying PC games. The idea that publishers only want you to buy a game in particular forms is silly. They will be happy no matter what system you buy it on, so long as you buy it.

This response has been a lot more long winded then I had planned so sorry if it got ranty. But basically I've been gaming primarily on my computer the past 2 years and have been very satisfied with the results. You said buying a PC is unwise but I see it as stable and growing although small. This doesn't mean I think it's the only good choice however, I think the PS 4 is going to do just fine, likely being the most successful of the generation, but thats just a guess.
[http://kotaku.com/dont-expect-those-xbox-one-exclusives-to-come-to-pc-509631683]​

Microsoft & SONY will pressure 3rd party studios -- sometimes with money, sometimes with threats -- against a PC port. That's evil, but it's business all the same. And if the PC market grosses substantially, you'll see more DRM making a comeback as publishers ignore the core gamers. (I'll explain later)

[http://www.tweaktown.com/news/30574/ps4-lays-the-graphical-smackdown-on-the-xbox-one-has-50-more-gpu-power/index.html]​

To me SONY is a mix of Microsoft and Nintendo. Only 2 Super Mario Galaxies and two Zelda games came out for the Wii. Microsoft has played its last hand with age old exclusives; but Sony keeps turning new IP's. They have had the most consistently excellent exclusives of the last generation. The Japanese in SONY demands premium quality, while their western edge pushes a plethora of content.

3rd Party Studios hate developing for the Wii U. [http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/122204-ea-senior-engineer-calls-wii-u-a-piece-of-crap.html] On the other hand, Micorosft has tons of beaurocracy and red-tape [http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Xbox-One-Does-Allow-Indie-Devs-Self-Publish-55974.html] for smaller studios and indies to ever find a home.

As the PS4 has 50% more raw GPU power than the XBOXone, SONY will again dominate in exclusive title-quality. Their titles are just too good for a core audience to ignore. Hope for a relevant PC in this generation will be brightest right now, because when E3 rolls around, all of those exclusives will push that base toward the console.

[HEADING=3]The PC is Changing[/HEADING]
Portability. Desktops and towers will be outdated 5 years from now. Laptops and ultrabooks. We all mostly shopping online and network anyways. Television will by then come standard with an HD camera -- poor XboxOne. Publishers know that it's not worth spec-ing up games to Crysis 3 standards. You can buy an Intel-i5 6gb-Ram 500Hdd for little under $600, and that's the group you want to develop for.

[h4]PC must go casual to exist, because it can't compete with exclusives, with quality games.[/h4]

[h4]pictures have links[/h4]​