The Bad Guys You Admire the Most

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Nosferatu Zodd from Berserk.

I don't really admire him, I just respect the guy. Despite being an Apostle, he seems to have genuine honour and principles. He's also the only demon who isn't a psychotic rapist. This is ofcourse ignoring the Bleach brigade that entered the fray in the Fantasy arc. Fuck those guys.

And he's also just a big awesome batwinged tiger bull.

keiji_Maeda

May 9, 2012
Hansinkdu said:
Handsome Jack is a close second to my favorite,
Aku
Arth tou mad Jack?

ooh Aku, you're as wacky as the crossdressing episode makes you out to be.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I respect Phaere Despana, a minor villain from the underdark section of baldur's gate 2. I enjoy her scheme and am always a little disappointed to leave it in ruins. I love her plain-faced ambition and ruthlessness.

Admire though? I'll have to keep thinking about it...

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
-Heath Ledgers' Joker. I mean, he contains a charming wit, a great characterisation, good speech and a charismatic laugh. What is not to like? For me he was the actual protagonist of Dark Knight, not Batman.
-Do you count the Bolsheviks/Russian Communists as evil? If so, then yeah, I love them too.
-SHODAN from System Shock 2.
-Talking of which, Andrew Ryan and Comstock from BioShock.

I am trying to think of other villains that I've admired. I was originally going to say HL2 Combine, but I think I enjoy their design rather than admire them.

ShipofFools

Apr 21, 2013

Dukat is kind of a creepy space Nazi, and also a lizard thing in Star Trek. He does some bad stuff, he does some heroic stuff, but in the end he just goes nuts and becomes one of the most dangerous antagonist in the Star Trek series.
He is also deliciously hammy and in love with his own voice, as every respectable villain should be.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Nosferatu Zodd from Berserk.

I don't really admire him, I just respect the guy. Despite being an Apostle, he seems to have genuine honour and principles. He's also the only demon who isn't a psychotic rapist. This is ofcourse ignoring the Bleach brigade that entered the fray in the Fantasy arc. Fuck those guys.

And he's also just a big awesome batwinged tiger bull.
i couldnt agree more :) he has some sort of honor code to him.. like a samurai warrior :)

Cornuthaum

May 18, 2013
Nox, primary antagonist of Wakfu's first season.

A terrifying, ruthless enemy, imbued with monomanic purpose, possessed of unstoppable fighting skills, wielding an army both as a scalpel and as a sledgehammer, using all the brains of what amounts to a level 20 wizard - a great villain who goes on to break the rules of the universe in his mad quest, performing an act even his god can not pull off.

And then you get -his- backstory, and suddenly he is not only a great villain, but also a great character, and that's why I love the character and the series both.

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Moon

As far as real life villains go.... I would have to say Karl Rove. I despise the man with every fiber of my being, but I do respect his tenacity, and intellect.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
Shock and Awe said:
Whether its in History or Fiction, there are bad guys that you just can't help but like/respect. Whether its style, effectiveness, or some other aspect, you just like them, even though you're not supposed to. Basically, what Historical or Fictional Bad Guys do you admire the most?

For me, its the Wehrmacht, the German Military of World War 2. Despite popular conception, the German army was not involved in most of the atrocities of the Nazis and the SS. I like them because of their fucking effectiveness. I do not recall many instances where they were beaten without the enemy having vastly superior manpower or firepower, and can name a couple when they won when the enemy did have these advantages. Despite the fact they were on the moral wrong side of the war, I can't help but respect and admire them and some of their generals such as von Manstein and Guderian. Also, Stlye Points. [http://www.history.jp/wehrmacht/003-02.jpg].
I wouldn't express those views east of the Alps because its more than likely you will be coming home in a wooden box. The Wehrmacht was up to its neck in war crimes. In Italy, after the 1943 armistice, there were many massacres of Italian troops. The largest incident being the murder of 5000 Italian POWs by the Wehrmacht. In Serbia, using the wehrmacht collective responsibility orders, frequently murdered civilians in response to partisan attacks. Jews were especially singled out during these roundups because any Jew was automatically assumed to be a partisan. In Greece, again, the collective responsibility orders resulted in round ups and murder of civilians. The Wehrmacht was responsible for organization of transport of Jews to the death camps from central Greece. In Poland, the German Army was responsible for the deaths 800 or so civilian deaths during the invasion and the murder of around 1000 Polish POWs in the immediate aftermath of invasion. The most common crime committed by the German army in Poland was rape, somewhere in the region of 500000 rapes, of which only one was punished. This was the gang rape and murder of of family of Polish Jewish women and even then the perpetrators were only found guilty shaming the German army. The members of the Wehrmacht committed anything up to 10 million rapes, mainly on the eastern front. The Wehrmacht were intimately involved in atrocities committed by SS special action groups. The SS may have done the actual shooting but the Wehrmacht provided the trucks and the drivers to take the victims to the massacres sites. For instance the murder of 33,771 Jews at Babi Yar in two days in 1941 was only possible because of the trucks and drivers from the 6th army.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
Shock and Awe said:
Whether its in History or Fiction, there are bad guys that you just can't help but like/respect. Whether its style, effectiveness, or some other aspect, you just like them, even though you're not supposed to. Basically, what Historical or Fictional Bad Guys do you admire the most?

For me, its the Wehrmacht, the German Military of World War 2. Despite popular conception, the German army was not involved in most of the atrocities of the Nazis and the SS. I like them because of their fucking effectiveness. I do not recall many instances where they were beaten without the enemy having vastly superior manpower or firepower, and can name a couple when they won when the enemy did have these advantages. Despite the fact they were on the moral wrong side of the war, I can't help but respect and admire them and some of their generals such as von Manstein and Guderian. Also, Stlye Points. [http://www.history.jp/wehrmacht/003-02.jpg].
Don't forget Rommel, that man is a hero. Anyways, for bad guys that I admire I personally can't think of anyone at the moment, I've recently come off the big part of Death Note where one of the main characters die, so those of you who know what I'm talking about will sympathise with me when I say I can't think of any bad guys without wanting to beat their smug, dick faces.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
Not really a person but an organization, but Blackwatch from the first Prototype (not Prototype 2, where they got turned into cartoonish villians).

Obviously they were depicted as being bad guys who gun down innocents without hesitation, but when you really think about it, are they doing the wrong thing? They basically are just people who are willing to do whatever is necessary to protect the greater good, and they understand that if they need to massacre 1000 innocent people to prevent the virus from spreading and killing 5 million, that it must be done. Sometimes (especially in the case of a virus that spreads fast and turns people into zombies and monsters) being that cold-blooded and heartless can be a good thing.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Zodd, Nox, Xanatos, Vergil, and Rommel. This thread is great.

Reposting my choice from the last villains thread.

This guy,

What are his powers? Intuition, planning, and cruelty. You know that new game Papers Please? Well a game starring this guy would bring out the "detain" button (or more accurately the "torture and kill" button) more often than not. He's a gatekeeper during the Swiss-Austrian war, and he DOES not let anyone through his gate without the proper authorization.

This fucking guy is the only villain who has made me think that doing evil could be fun. Other villains have me like "yeah that guy is cool" or "whoa" but this guy makes me go "holy fuck what is wrong with me? I'm enjoying watching this guy win". The name of the story is Wolfsmund, it will be published in English soon.

Honorable mentions: Griffith/GodHand (from Berserk), Pillar Men (from Jojo's Bizzare Adventure)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Jux said:
Favorite bad guy is probably Candlejack, absolutely hila-

DON'T SAY HIS NAME DAMMIT!!

---

The bad-guy I admire the most has to be this one:

I admire him because he actually...he actually did it. He destroyed the Empire, the citizenry of Doma and destroyed a planet. Kefka succeeded in bringing about more destruction and chaos than any villain before or after him. Of course he was eventually killed but that was after all the damage and mayhem he had caused to an entire world. Kefka became God and Kefka burned a world, all in the name of Chaos.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Funny thing is, these days there seems to be less clear cut bad VS good.
I guess the most obvious one for me is Kyuubee on Mado magi.

Coppernerves

Oct 17, 2011
I know this sounds like I'm just trying to be edgy, but Hitler.

I've always reckoned he was just trying to do the right thing, even if his idea of "the right thing" is at odds with that of most people.

Then again, I can't think of a good argument to support the claim, I just always sensed a feeling of righteousness in depictions of Nazism, and get annoyed when Nazis are vilified for their non-selfish beliefs.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
For games, The baddie from FF 13-2. He was the enemy, but the reason why he did what he did was laudable, understandable and we would do the same thing in his shoes.