The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
[HEADING=1]The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums[/HEADING]​

I was talking to a real life friend of mine (holydog) earlier today and the topic of moderation was brought up, similar to the thread he made yesterday on the same topic. In this conversation, he explained to me that quite a few users appear to be afraid of giving out their opinions of touchy subjects, with the fear of being banned for their beliefs.

Now, while I'm not sure whether this is truly the case for most people, this subject gave me an idea.

I'm sure that many of the older (or even newer, considering how many have been popping up lately) users have seen plenty of threads asking why the Mods are so strict, and I'm also sure that most of us are well and truly sick of them altogether. Rather than let this keep happening, why don't we give everyone an idea as to what not to do?

Well, here goes nothing...

[HEADING=2]Introduction[/HEADING]​

Taking your first steps into a new forum community, like any real life community, is a tough one. You don't know what to do, what to think and who to model yourself as in the eyes of others, but you do know that first impressions will influence the way people judge you later on in the life of your pseudonym. The amount of enjoyment you receive here is dependent on many factors of your environment, including people's opinion of you.

However, one of the many factors that people appear to forget is The Escapist's moderation system, the Mr. Fixits that clean up our society, making this forum a great place to waste spend your time in. The mods set the example that we, the community, follow; a thankless job that requires dedication and discipline at all times. Most of our moderators consist of the staff, who can be found easily by golden letters on their name, but the main ones of note are our voluntary 'Red Guards', the users:

[li]Community Manager (Staff): [user]n0e[/user][/li]
[li][user]Barbas[/user][/li]
[li][user]Caliostro[/user][/li]
[li][user]Fappy[/user][/li]
[li][user]FileTrekker[/user][/li]
[li][user]Freyr[/user][/li]
[li][user]Katherine Kerensky[/user][/li]
[li][user]Lilani[/user][/li]
[li][user]maddawgIAJI[/user][/li]
[li][user]n0e[/user][/li]
[li][user]NewClassic[/user][/li]
[li][user]Scde2[/user][/li]

These people keep the hamsters running and as such, their word is law.

Just as important as the moderators are the Forum Guidelines [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.116826], the rules as to which this community is founded upon. Take them into consideration, and you will not regret it.

However, the guidelines are rather vague, and don't precisely outline the general rules or reasons why one would receive a ban. That is why I created this thread; to show, from an observer's perspective, what to do in a post/thread and, more importantly, what not to do in a post/thread.

In this piece, I will be discussing the many forms of moderator wrath that one will encounter, as well as why people receive them. I will also discuss what should (and shouldn't) consist a thread, and why certain ones become locked.

Firstly, I will explain the lowest form of moderator wrath:

[HEADING=2]Warnings: Tier 4[/HEADING]​

Warnings are not a form of Moderator Wrath, as such, but a warning that is placed on your user record for further reference, should you break said rule you were warned about again. This can happen on the thread in which you have posted on, or via PM - be advised that these are generally given if the crime was not intentional, or merely an obvious mistake (in judgement or otherwise) made by the user.

Be reminded that, if you've been around long enough (or, conversely, if your post count is significant enough to prove you've been around the Forums), you may not receive a warning as you should already know what to do and what not to do (and be assumed to have read the Guidelines, linked to at the bottom of this post.

Also remember that once you have received a warning, the Mods will not be so merciful on your next offense.

[HEADING=2]Probations: Tier 3[/HEADING]​

Probations are the lowest form of moderator wrath. They do not hinder your posting ability whatsoever, but merely serve as a warning to a user not to repeat a particular offence.

Due to the revised Moderation system, Probations no longer appear under the users name. It will also only be removed after 6 months with no further infractions.

Here are some of the main reasons why people receive probations:

[li]'Report and Move On' - Underneath every users' avatars on their posts, a red 'report' button resides. Click on the button if you believe the post to be demeaning, rude, stupid or an advertisement. However, some people do not report, but persist in messing up the community by posing (mostly) equally stupid replies instead.[/li]

[li]Flaming: Sometimes an argument can become heated enough to bring one or both sides of the argument to breaking point. It is expected of all users not to contribute to (let alone start) flame wars, and so anyone who decides to take things to such a level will receive a warning in order to prevent them from making such a mistake as well. You can tell when a flame war is about to begin by keeping an eye out for personal comments or unrelated arguments to support their opinions. Use of caps lock is also a widely known indicator.[/li]

[li]Offensive Comments (Tier 3): Did you just make a racist/sexist remark or post something that may offend someone, even if it wasn't intended towards the rest of the community? Well, you might be in the running to receive one Grade A probation, courtesy of our friends the Mods! Seriously, if you know it might hurt someone's feelings, then don't post it. Probations are mostly given to those who laugh at another's tasteless or derogatory jokes, and a taboo rule on The Escapist is not to feed the trolls, let alone egg them on.[/li]

[li]Pointlessness: Did you post just to say something stupid, such as 'FIRST' or an internet meme with no relevance? Maybe just posting to up your post count (and, by default, your inflated ego)? Well, we don't like that. Forums are all about discussion, and non-contributions such as these are not liked here.[/li]

[li]BB Code Abuse: Sometimes people like to post pictures to express their feelings on a certain subject (most of the time being 'Fail' pictures, 'In Before The Lock' gifs and lolcats) without contributing a single word to the discussion. Sometimes people get angry and start using caps lock without remorse. Sometimes people stage rickroll links on other members of the forums. BB Code is a useful tool, used to help people express [http://www.littlefolkspuzzle.com/catalog/1350-30PCFLOORPUZZLE-KITTEN.JPG] themselves easier without needing to explain themselves; it is not a tool that you should abuse at the public's expense. It is strongly advised that when quoting a person who has posted a picture, replace the picture with the word 'snip' so that it doesn't clutter up the page. Sometimes people tend to quote peoples' pictures with other pictures, starting a chain of eyesores. The moderators will warn you not to do this, but will ready their maces if the problem has already come to a point of no return. Thankfully, BB Code Abuse happens rarely.[/li]

[HEADING=2]Suspensions: Tier 2[/HEADING]​

Suspensions are the next level of moderator wrath, a politically correct term essentially meaning 'You've been banned, but only for a while'. This essentially means that the user will be unable to post on the forums for the alloted amount of time given.

'SUSPENDED' appears underneath the username, and;

'[small]User was suspended for: X. (Y Days)[/small]' appears on the bottom of every post that the user made.

An example of a suspended post can be found here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.104570].

Here are the most common suspension times that people receive:

(3 Days)
(7 Days)
(14 Days)
(30 Days)

As with Probations, sometimes the Y value can be filled with an obscure number. However, these are uncommon.

Here are some of the main reasons why people receive suspensions (disregarding topics for probations, which also apply):

[li]Repeated Offences: One may notice that the more times they get probations/suspensions for a similar/the same reason as an earlier time, the number Y increases. This is due to the perpetrator not taking the hint the first time, and the Moderators have decided to step the punishment up a notch.[/li]

[li]Offensive Comments (Tier 2): When an offensive comment is so bad that a mere probation won't suffice. Applies to the 'Repeated Offenses' Category.[/li]

[li]Multiple Accounts: Some people like to troll. Most trolls like to get away with it, even if the banhammer has struck. The staff have their ways of finding people who have created a second account for this very purpose, and if the offense is repeated once too often then a Ban is in order.[/li]

[HEADING=2]Bans: Tier 1[/HEADING]​

Chances are that if you have received one of these, you won't be reading this. Bans are the moderator's last resort, a way to eliminate a user's foul activity on the forum for good, by going so far as to ban the very IP where the user came from (and thus preventing them from creating a new account). Better known as the Perma-Ban.

An example of a ban can be found here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.121663.2425017].

Here is what a ban looks like:

'BANNED' appears underneath the username, and;

'[small]User was banned for: X. (Permanent)[/small]' appears on the bottom of every post that the user makes.

For bans, Y comes in only one flavour: (Permanent).

Few people receive bans, but they are mainly given to people for these reasons:

[li]Spambots: Annoying little programs that are designed to advertise to forum communities by posting in threads, much like our own. Some are obvious, creating a new thread to advertise, and get banned quickly. Others, however, are more insidious; posting innocent-seeming posts in random threads to escape moderator attention and trick users into clicking the links. However, most of them are still obvious spambots anyway, so if you see unusual activity by a particular user (one that necroes long-dead threads and says similar things in every post), then the 'Report' button is your friend.[/li]

[li]Offensive Comments (Tier 1): Used scarcely when a user is dumb enough to say something so rude, so awful, so derogatory that the moderators decide that they are of no benefit to the community. This kind of ban has been known to have been used when users threaten the users, moderators or staff, mostly by PM, but sometimes by thread.[/li]

[li]Repeated Offences: Karma Houdinis, as any TV Troper out there knows, exist plentifully in the world, and The Escapist is not exempt. Some users only cause light offences, but regularly enough to build a rather substantial ban record. Eventually, someone has to say they've had enough. These people never learn and are a cancer on our beloved site; they will receive a ban once the moderators have concluded so.[/li]

[HEADING=2]Locked/Deleted Threads[/HEADING]​

This kind of moderation is probably the most common on the forums, but has no effect on the user themselves (unless coupled with a probation/suspension/ban). What it does is prevent a thread from being replied to, thus letting it sink down through the pages to a point of obscurity.

There are two kinds of locks out there:

[li]The normal lock, as described above; or[/li]

[li]Thread/Post deletion, used to eliminate posts or threads that would be better off not seeing the light of day.[/li]

Here are some thread categories that are sure to receive a lock:

[li]Vs. Threads: Who would win in a fight: A or B? Which is better: X or Y? These are dull, repetitive, and are surefire ways to start a flame war. All three things that The Escapist does not wish to be recognised as.[/li]

[li]Advertisement Threads: Maybe a spambot has left its dung on the sidewalk for the mods to clean up, or a user just wants to show off his new site. Either way, it's an unwelcome advertisement and will be locked.[/li]

[li]Pointless Threads: When someone makes a thread with little way for discussion or little substance whatsoever, it gets locked. The forums are, after all, discussion boards.[/li]

[li]Trolling:When someone creates a thread just to be a dick. Attempts to start flame wars for the OP's* amusement are a likely cause for a thread like this to appear. Needless to say, it will be locked.[/li]

[li]One Word Threads: Some people seem to conclude that a title is merely enough. Why are you posting the thread? How does it apply to you? Add a little bit of substance before you hit Post.[/li]

[li]Misleading Thread Titles: I really shouldn't need to say this, but unfortunately some users don't get it. When you create a thread, give the title an actual relevance to the topic at hand. Give it a catchy, memorable and attractive title, by all means but don't use something controversial and unrelated to draw in the pageviews. An example would be to have a thread about relationships with 'I Hate [INSERT ETHNIC MINORITY HERE]' for a title. Please also note that frequent abuse can result in a Probation/Suspension.[/li]

Here are some threads that may or may not be locked, depending on the circumstance:

[li]Controversial Threads: Controversy attracts attention. Attention means more posts. More posts mean more badges. This simple formula is devised by several people to make yet another thread about religion, sexism, homosexuality or events of the time (such as Swine Flu). These are intended to make people argue their way to a better post count but not necessarily to create a flame war, so some make it past the bar.[/li]

[li]Repeat Threads: I'm sure that many users (particularly the newer ones) are sick of the term 'use the Search Button' being flung around on their new thread. Well, there's a good reason for that: your thread isn't the first of its kind, and it certainly won't be the last. On these forums, it is unspoken law that Thread Necroing > Repeat Threads, but many new users don't know that and put up whatever was in the back of their heads. Some repeat threads do get past the bar, however, but my advice would still be to search for a thread resembling your idea first (between you and me, use Google; the Escapist's search feature is renowned for not being as great as it should be).[/li]

[HEADING=2]Badges and Bannings[/HEADING]​

Of the many badges you can receive, three of them are dependent on how your actions have reflected on the community:

Notable Poster: Known to many as 'Trinity' for obvious reasons, this badge requires that you make 100 posts without incurring any moderator wrath (whether it be Tier 1, 2 or 3), but the badge may only be granted 2 weeks after you join.

Epic Poster: Known to many as 'Morpheus' for obvious reasons, this badge requires that you must make 1000 posts without incurring moderator wrath. This badge will only be available 2 months after you join.

Real Ultimate Poster: Known to many as 'Neo' for obvious reasons, this badge requires that you must make 5000 posts without incurring moderator wrath. This badge will only be available to you 6 months after you join; it is an absurdly hard badge to get, and very few people on The Escapist have acquired it to my knowledge.

Please note that once you receive any form of moderator wrath, then these badges will be unavailable to you. Harsh, but fair.

Also note that having a thread of yours locked does not result in your inability to receive the badges.

[HEADING=2]Trolling[/HEADING]​

On internet forums, many words are spoken in many discussions. But none are spoken quite so much or treated with such disdain as the term 'Troll'. Like many words in the English language meant for sparing use but overused due to its memetic popularity (the words Epic, Fail and any profanity ever spoken, for example), 'Troll' is given to many people who are innocent. So how do you tell the troll from a person with a different opinion? Well, here's a few steps to find out:

Check if they're on Probation. While this doesn't actually say whether or not they are trolls (as probations can also be dealt out to people unacquainted with and victimised by the nature of trolls), the link underneath can give a good idea of whether they've had a quesionable forum history.

Look for personal attacks. Not observations like 'the way you argue X indicates that you are of occupation Y', but the use of derogatory terms and profanities to demean their opponent in a debate is like a neon sign pointing straight for the Report Button.

An Observation: Trolls love to abuse Caps Lock.

I will add more points as I think of them. Until then, take heed of my points above. And remember, not everyone someone calls a troll is always a troll; the real answer's in the fine print.

A warning, however, is that some trolls are more sneaky than others, some who have been around for a very long time. Some have even been Thanked [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Richard+Groovy+Pants] and some have acquired the much-coveted Neo Badge [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/NoMoreSanity]. So if thay have a big post count and a lot of forum popularity, even if they've contributed to the site, nothing makes anyone exempt. After all, actions speak louder than words.

Trolling And How To Deal With It said:
[HEADING=2]'Trolling' and how to deal with it[/HEADING]​

What is a troll?
Troll is a derogatory term used to describe a poster with intent to offend, whether it be by posting offensive images, starting flame wars with other users, or just insulting another user.

Needless to say we don't need them tarnishing our pretty little forum, so how would we go about dealing with these unsavoury characters? The fool-proof way is to just ignore the troll.

How will ignoring the problem work?
To answer this we must first explain the term 'Feeding the Troll'.

What's 'Feeding the troll'?
This is a term used on the internet to describe the action of responding to a troll. Remember that a troll only gets his/her kicks by getting a reaction out of you, so by reacting you are effectively feeding the troll. By doing this you are just causing more problems by giving it a chance to continue trolling.

So what's the advantage of not responding?
Think of the troll as a fire. A fire needs oxygen to burn as a troll needs someone to offend. By ignoring the problem, you effectively deprived the troll of oxygen. After all, who's he going to troll if there's no one to troll?

I see, but apart from ignoring the troll, what else do we do?
Well the most important thing to do is not to post anything and I can't emphasise this enough. The next step would be to use your friend the report button and/or contact a moderator.

Report button? How does it work?
If the offending post is reported twice (That is, the report button has been clicked twice.) the offending post is sent to a queue known as the 'mod queue'.The more reports it gets the higher up the queue it goes and the moderators will pick it out and hand out the deserved wrath.

Also, how do I contact the moderators?
You can send them a private message either in the forums or through IRC.

So are there any pre-emptive measures I can take?
Sadly when it comes to trolls, there really isn't anything we can do apart from deal with the problem as fast as possible and not add to the problem.

That's all there is to know about the elusive troll species, when you do see a troll I'm sure you'll be able to make the right decision following this guide. Once again, please do not post as it just makes the problem worse and some people have reacted in very silly ways to trolls and have been punished themselves. Surely you don't want to lose the chance of a shiny 'Neo' badge because of a troll do you?

This section is courtesy of Sevre90210 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Sevre90210 ] and Higurashi [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Higurashi]

[HEADING=2]Other Stuff[/HEADING]​

If, by any chance, you receive a ban, you shall receive a 'Forum Ban Notice' via PM. Inside, it will contain the details of which post was moderated, why and what will happen to your account as a result of the moderator action. Remember that you may appeal to the moderators, but your sentence will likely be raised should you have an irrational tantrum in their presence.

If you have any qualms about the topic of moderation, contact Red Guards such as wilsonscrazybed, nilcypher and Alex_P for answers and resolutions.

[HEADING=2]Con-clue-shon[/HEADING]​

In the end, the moderators are the people that keep the Escapist a great place to be. Don't make their lives harder by causing trouble; embrace the community for what it is (freaking utopia), contribute and participate. We aren't a totalitarian empire, we're a friendly message board devoted to the gaming industry.

Any and all feedback and contributions to the thread would be much appreciated; anyhow, thank you for reading.

OP - Original Post. Referring to the first post on a thread.
GM - Game Master. Referring to the person running a Role-Playing thread. The same as, but not limited to, the thread's OP.
RP - Role-Playing. One of the forums uses this acronym, so You Should Know This Already [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/YouShouldKnowThisAlready].
IMO - In My Opinion.
QFT - Quoted For Truth. Nearly as bad as a 'This.' post, so please keep this at a minimum. Or, at least, add something substantial to your post.

13/5/09: Included [small] tags to the example posts.
13/5/09: Added 'Badges and Bannings' subtopic. Pictures courtesy of Nivag.
14/5/09: Added 'BB Code Abuse' as a point under the 'Probations' subtopic. Thanks to scotth266 for the idea.
16/5/09: Changed colour of PROBATION notice in accordance with the site's recent upgrading.
10/6/09: Added 'Glossary' section to define internet abbreviations. Will update further when I get the chance.
19/6/09: Changed link to Ban example in memory of The Necroswanson, and also in response to people wondering about Eggo.
7/7/09: Changed link to Ban example to that of Darth Mobius, due to The Necroswanson's post being 404'd.
7/7/09: Added 2 new terms to Glossary, and my first link to TVTropes. Not that I'm going to make it a habit or anything...
7/7/09: Changed link to Ban example to that of The Volume, as it is a better example than Mobius'. Rated PG for Coarse Language and Adult Themes.
22/7/09: Added section in Probations/Suspensions subtopic about obscure lengths of Mod Wrath.
22/7/09: Added subtopic on Tier 4. Thanks to Virgil for pointing this out.
23/7/09: Added Labyrinth to the Mod List. Thanks to Zombie_Fish for the heads-up.
23/7/09: Added 2 new terms to the Glossary: IMO and QFT.
18/9/09: Changed 'only 3' to 'very few' with regards to those who havew acquired the Neo badge, to avoid confusion. Thanks to PedroSteckecilo for pointing that out.
19/9/09: Added Ultrajoe and Baby Tea to the mod list.
15/1/10: Added long overdue note on Misleading Thread Titles in the Locked/Deleted Threads subtopic. Thanks to Chronobreak for pointing it out.
20/2/10: Added 'Trolling' subtopic, with the aid of Sevre90210 and Higurashi. Also caved in and added Varchld to the Mod List.
28/3/10: Removed Ultrajoe from the Mod list.
17/8/10: Added NewClassic, claymorez, Sevre90210 and Zombie_Fish to the Mod list.
24/8/10: Added ColdStorage to the Mod list.
11/01/13: Updated Mod list. [sky14kemea]
29/3/13: Updated Mod list. [Scde2]
27/07/13: Updated Mod list. [sky14kemea]
10/8/16: Updated Mod list. [Barbas]

Moderator Edit: This is not the official rules, but it a damn fine user point of view look and guide to the rules (which can be found here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/codeofconduct]).

[small]User was banned for this post.[/small]

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
How very helpful of you.
If you are so inclined, you should contact Inverse_Skies to have him put this in his thread of threads.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
Pretty interesting, but the actual "User was banned for" is made using [small][/small] tags,
i.e. [small]User was banned for this post.[/small]

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Very interesting and helpful, so well done :) I found this very useful to be honest :D

Grimm91

Jan 8, 2009
Very nice,hopefully this will stop the threads about how tough the moderators are.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
This is correct in everything but I would disagree on the Necro thread > Repeat thread, in any case I would say new users should be refered to this.

Samurai Goomba

Oct 7, 2008
Huh. I came in here expecting to get some use out of the shiny red button, but you foiled me! Oh well, I'm sure I'll find a time to use it eventually.

Anyway, this wasn't really news to me, but it's still nice to see it all there in writing. Thanks for taking to time to craft such an in-depth post on the subject. Hopefully this will put an end to the recent wave of "banhammer" threads.

New Troll

Mar 26, 2009
This will help give trolls and troublemakers new goals to reach. New lines to dance around. Maybe even force them to be more creative with thier drollings. We'll just have to wait and see.

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Hah, an enjoyable read even after all the time I've been here!
This should hopefully save someone's account one day. Good work.

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
neuromasser said:
This wasn't helpful at all

Oh noes! D:
I think letting me know how to use that was probably a bad thing...
But love the thread, trying to keep my slate clean. So far so good.

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
'tis brilliant.

Also posts such as this:

traceur_ said:
Here is your solution:

got me a probation for 1 day because "Low content post: Pictures aren't substitute for content."

Stainless

Apr 28, 2009
Most of this is pretty common sense stuff, but considering how the internet is an arena where common sense seldom rears its pretty little head this is a pretty good thing to have around. Nicely formatted as well.

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
Great format, my friend. This is a very useful guide indeed. When Inverse comes back, he'll probably add this to his thread. In the meantime. Here's for hoping it does some good

theklng

May 1, 2008
i'd like to say that it is perfectly doable to spout your opinion of things here so long as you restrain yourself from flaming. many of my comments have been borderline offensive to a broader audience, but not to a single person at a time. it's the difference between an attack and a belief.

coldfrog

Can you feel around inside?
Dec 22, 2008
I understand the desire to create a thread like this and maybe it's just me, but am I the only one who thinks putting the word "Banhammer" anywhere in your thread (especially the title) makes me think it's going to be completely worthless no matter how much actual content it contains? It makes it seem juvenile to me, and honestly the only reason I looked at it was because I half expected to see something I would deem worth reporting.

In any case, it was at least well organized and thought out. I still have this instinctual reaction to ignore everything you say in the post though...

Of course, that will lead to previously delimited consequences.

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
This is very useful..I always wondered exactly what was required to get a T2 or 3 ban, specifically. Very nice, Krunk.

This should be starred on the front page along with the Forum Guidelines, seriously.

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
I was ready for a horrible post about how horrible it is not knowing why a thread got locked, but good job.

can we sticky this.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Good guide, not that I ever needed it...

*smugly indicates his coveted Neo Badge*

[small]User was banned for this post.(Permanent)[/small]

well damn...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
This thing needs to instantly be made into a permathread. Everyone go spam the thread about that, quick! (Note: thread-spamming is still bad :D)

Only thing I would have like to see would be a little more info/discussion on necroing(and when it is/isn't appropriate), especially since a wave of necroed news threads seems to have been popping up recently. Also, a mention of BB abuse would likely be appropriate.

Hey kids, I've got some candy...

Well, there goes my chances at the Neo...

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
If you are so inclined, you should contact Inverse_Skies to have him put this in his thread of threads.
Thanks, I'll do that.
Lukeje said:
Pretty interesting, but the actual "User was banned for" is made using [small][/small] tags,
i.e. [small]User was banned for this post.[/small]
Yeah, I sort of didn't know what to do there; should have researched Forum Markup first.

Thanks for the help, I'll add the small tags in.
scotth266 said:
This thing needs to instantly be made into a permathread. Everyone go spam the thread about that, quick! (Note: thread-spamming is still bad :D)

Only thing I would have like to see would be a little more info/discussion on necroing(and when it is/isn't appropriate), especially since a wave of necroed news threads seems to have been popping up recently. Also, a mention of BB abuse would likely be appropriate.
Excuse my uninformed-ness, but what does BB stand for?

And as for necroing threads, I am not too sure how to say when it's good and when it's bad. Really, I deem it to be good until a month after its connception, but others (like PurpleRain's Quote Thread) tend to survive.

Thanks for the feedback though; I'm glad that these few hours of work wasn't a waste of time on my part.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
How very helpful of you.
What, like a meta thread?

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I shall be keeping this thread bookmarked so that I can refer others to it whenever needed. Luckily, I already follow all these rules, so that Neo badge is as good as mi--

WHAT!?

bitzi61

Jan 28, 2009
People just have to realize that, if they arn't stupid, they won't get banned

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Ouch. Lots of words make my brain hurt.

I hate to be such a lazy peeve, but I'll just skim read it. Very indepth though. Good job.

bitzi61 said:
People just have to realize that, if they arn't stupid, they won't get banned
It's not that simple. Far from it. I was once banned for laughing at someone's joke, which I didn't think actually fitted the forum rules.

But lo' and behold, after I re-read them, I actually came to the conclusion I that the moderator was right to put me on probation (However, it was still quite harsh).

If I've read it right, this thread is trying to help people find the where the line is, inbetween voicing your opinion, and being a ban-able jackass.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
its the Escapists edition of the Wasteland survival guide! :D

oh by the way, one thing i've noticed is that people who put the first posts on Yahtzee's video - related threads (the official "thread to go with the video" stuff) tend to be on probabtion or suspended... yet when I check why they've been put on probabtion/suspension (maybe even ban?), a lot of the time the posts are completely innocent... they just happen to be some of the first posts on a yahtzee-video thread.

does anyone know why this is? just a curiosity

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Well made and concise. Also like the poll option to see how many people just can't help themselves. I can happily say I wasn't one of them :)

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
iain62a said:
MaxTheReaper said:
How very helpful of you.
What, like a meta thread?
its a thread designed to direct people to some of the best threads on the forums. It's great because rather than needing to bookmark a million threads, you only need to bookmark the one.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I learned a long time ago (thankfully through others' rather than my own experience) that if someone makes a tasteless racist or sexist joke, it is perfectly OK to laugh at it, but to quote the post and let someone know you laughed at it? Verboten.

Like most of the Internet, the Escapist falls into the trap of politically correct bigotry---it is perfectly fine to rip Acceptable Targets [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AcceptableTargets], but go after a pet liberal cause (with a "kitchen/sammich" joke or anything that's racist toward any race other than white people) and you're up a creek.

It's not as bad as some sites (I once got a three-day suspension from GameFAQs for---I am not making this up---stating I planned to vote Republican), but it is still ultimately a tilted playing field that makes it a lot less shocking that sites like Conservapedia and Metapedia exist.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Lord Krunk said:

And as for necroing threads, I am not too sure how to say when it's good and when it's bad. Really, I deem it to be good until a month after its connception, but others (like PurpleRain's Quote Thread) tend to survive.

Thanks for the feedback though; I'm glad that these few hours of work wasn't a waste of time on my part.
Ah, it's the tags added onto text, like the small or color things. Flagrant abuse of these is uncommon, but it happened in the past apparently.

And as for the necros, I asked Tendo about it. Apparently it's ok to necro something as long as you have added something significant to the discussion. Still, you might want to stick in a note telling people to avoid it when it comes to news threads. I mean, did we really need to be reminded of Soulja Boy's attempt to make a game about himself?

Also, you need to change the bottom to include [small](Permanent).[/small] Just for the lulz :D

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
sorry user name taken. said:
CuddlyCombine said:
Helpful, but I'm still willing to bet that hardly anybody's going to read it.

i did >.>
Anyone serious about the forums will (i.e. myself, you). Badge miners and postcounting freaks probably won't, or give it a skim at best.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
CuddlyCombine said:
CuddlyCombine said:

i did >.>
Anyone serious about the forums will (i.e. myself, you). Badge miners and postcounting freaks probably won't, or give it a skim at best.
Good. I hope they don't. It'll make it just that much easier for us to notice them and weed them out. We're not really interested in keeping postcount whores as part of our community.

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
Susan Arendt said:
Good. I hope they don't. It'll make it just that much easier for us to notice them and weed them out. We're not really interested in keeping postcount whores as part of our community.
Meh. The part I find most crucial is that people use the report button instead of posting in doomed threads to ridicule, or posting in duplicate threads to tell people they've already been made...

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Your own opinion is only welcome as long as it is a publicly accepted view, or in some cases if it challenges the very system because if all attempts to directly question the rules ppl would realise how controlled they where.

For example if my own personal opinion is that "i hate niggers" then that would be considered offensive (even if i do not put it as my opinion and joust as an example) and i would be probably banned even if i was to put it in velvet words "i do not like black ppl", You are not allowed to discriminate all discrimination is discriminated. This is a basic flaw of any place where everyone is suppose to feel welcome.
It's tragical but at the same time comical that forums still try and stop ppl being offended because everything sayd will always offend some one.

Personally i joust think that the escapist is a very nice mindless forums since if i say anything stupid in a intelligent enough way it's accepted while in other forums you have to stand up for everything you say plus that you have to dodge idiot posts by genuinely stupid people.

The "care-bear" style of the escapist can at least be said to be a very good place to be introduced to forums and the internet i myself have learn a lot about the ways of the net but like everything else in life one eventually steps away from the safe arms of a "care-bear" forum and into the more real and rawer parts of the internet.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Excellent points I would say. Honestly, I've been surprised at just how far one can go without being banned. Often, simply posting in a thread covering a contentious topic can get you banned on other parts of the web.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Very good guide for teh n00bz. I got Probation for ONE Lolcat, one. Thats all :( Anyways, good guide!

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
The66Monkey said:
Personally i joust think that the escapist is a very nice mindless forums since if i say anything stupid in a intelligent enough way it's accepted while in other forums you have to stand up for everything you say plus that you have to dodge idiot posts by genuinely stupid people.

The "care-bear" style of the escapist can at least be said to be a very good place to be introduced to forums and the internet i myself have learn a lot about the ways of the net but like everything else in life one eventually steps away from the safe arms of a "care-bear" forum and into the more real and rawer parts of the internet.
See, when "standing up for everything you say" means explaining the same elementary crap over and over again to a slightly different set of people (or the same set of deeply obstinate people), you're never actually going to be able to talk about something that means a damn. Your example ranting racist might "broaden" a discussion about racial issues a bit with his crazy ranting racist viewpoint, but he also drains all the depth out of it.

The best forums I've seen are small, intimate affairs that have a specific purpose -- to talk about X -- and moderation that keeps the discussion about X. They challenge you to be a worthwhile contributor rather than an armchair ranter or a drive-by ego-stroker. And all of that demands actively resisting being part of the "raw" Internet with its bullshit culture of anonymity and random aggression.

Now, the Escapist can't be a place like that -- it's got a much bigger and wider audience and the primary goal is to keep that audience entertained and sociable rather than to enable their creative acts or grow their understanding -- but there's still a lot to learn from small, functional creative communities on the web. I think the most important thing for users to learn is not to wallow in identity; the "social network" phenomenon of this decade has really bled all over message boards, too, feeding a culture where posting something trivial about yourself qualifies as "discussion".

-- Alex

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
SimuLord said:
I learned a long time ago (thankfully through others' rather than my own experience) that if someone makes a tasteless racist or sexist joke, it is perfectly OK to laugh at it, but to quote the post and let someone know you laughed at it? Verboten.

Like most of the Internet, the Escapist falls into the trap of politically correct bigotry---it is perfectly fine to rip Acceptable Targets [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AcceptableTargets], but go after a pet liberal cause (with a "kitchen/sammich" joke or anything that's racist toward any race other than white people) and you're up a creek.

It's not as bad as some sites (I once got a three-day suspension from GameFAQs for---I am not making this up---stating I planned to vote Republican), but it is still ultimately a tilted playing field that makes it a lot less shocking that sites like Conservapedia and Metapedia exist.
I disagree with this, as it's not what you say, but how you say it. You can still be a homophobic zionist pirate fanboy without any restrictions here, but the requirement is that you have reasoning behind your argument and aren't rude about it.

I'll give an example (not resembling my own opinion):

Fanboyism:

Wrong said:
stfu nubs u suk half life iz for PC fags halo is teh winzorz lolol
Intentional spelling errors, no explanation as to their opinion and the use of the word 'fags' in an offensive way are all factors involved in why this person would quite possibly recieve a probation at best.

Right said:
I consider the Xbox to be the superior gaming device over the PC. My reasoning is that a keyboard and mouse is more uncomfortable to use than a controller, which moulds into your hand. Also, I consider consoles better for gaming as they require a lot less care, do not succumb to viruses and are purpose-built for my needs.

Half Life, in my opinion, was not that great a game as it was mostly story driven and had frequent parts where you were forced to stand around in unskippable cutscenes for up to 20 minutes rather than actually play the game. Halo is more of a game for me, as it provides bigger challenges, more enemies to shoot and not a single dull moment.
See what I did there? I just turned a post that was pointless, dull, illegible and stupid into something genuinely warranting discussion, giving the user a whole lot more respect by his peers. here one would have been banned, the other would not.

Still not convinced? I'll step it up a notch (again, not my opinion, just an example):

Homosexuality:

Wrong said:
fuk u fags, cuz ur all SHIT go bak to amsterdam where ur WANTED
It really doesn't need saying. Offensive comments, unnecessary caps lock, spelling errors and god knows what else is the reason why anyone who would post anything like this will receive a suspension.

Right said:
Homosexuality is a touchy issue on my part, as I was raised with the firm belief that it was a sin, as well as previous incidents in my life that I would rather forget.

I also consider sodomy unnatural; an act that no man was intended to do. Argue with me all you want, but that is my belief.
This was hard to write for me as well, because I have no idea why you would dislike homosexuality unless you were either a psycho-christian or told to dislike them by your 12-year-old peers. Anyway, I did my best.

The above quote may be debated by some, but the poster has at least given his reasons and contributed to the discussion in a polite manner. Also, a post like that will not receive moderator wrath for that very reason.

That's my observation, anyway.

scotth266 said:
Lord Krunk said:

Ah, it's the tags added onto text, like the small or color things. Flagrant abuse of these is uncommon, but it happened in the past apparently.

And as for the necros, I asked Tendo about it. Apparently it's ok to necro something as long as you have added something significant to the discussion. Still, you might want to stick in a note telling people to avoid it when it comes to news threads. I mean, did we really need to be reminded of Soulja Boy's attempt to make a game about himself?

Also, you need to change the bottom to include [small](Permanent).[/small] Just for the lulz :D
Oh, you were talking about BB Code; I have a few ideas of what would be bannable offenses, so bear with me until I can write something up.

As for Necroing, it still isn't necessarily bannable unless the one doing the necroing happens to be a spambot, so I'll leave it out.

Thanks for the advice, by the way.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
[HEADING=1]The Banhammer and You: A Handy Guide[/HEADING]​
Very well said. I am new (again, sorry about that xD) and I have started a few controversial threads (one of my first ones, about lesbians and gays raising children, springs to mind, and today's about Christianity and dinosaurs) but unless I have a post-lord complex I'm not aware of, I didn't make them to get more posts; I was genuinely interested xD so I openly apologise to anyone offended by the subject matter.

Anyway, very well written and set out, and incredibly helpful. I'll stop feeding the trolls now :3

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
UPDATE: Added a new topic, 'Badges and Bannings', which can now be found on the OP. Pictures courtesy of Nivag.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
[HEADING=2]Con-clue-shon[/HEADING]​

In the end, the moderators are the people that keep the Escapist a great place to be. Don?t make their lives harder by causing trouble; embrace the community for what it is (freaking utopia), contribute and participate. We aren?t a totalitarian empire, we?re a friendly message board devoted to the gaming industry.
Indeed *quaffs champagne and adjusts his monocle*

painfull2006

Jul 2, 2008
Ouch....

You might want to add "Resurrection of old threads" to the probation list

its a stupid thing to be put on probation for and lost me my Neo :O!

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Oh, you were talking about BB Code; I have a few ideas of what would be bannable offenses, so bear with me until I can write something up.

As for Necroing, it still isn't necessarily bannable unless the one doing the necroing happens to be a spambot, so I'll leave it out.

Thanks for the advice, by the way.
I believe that wilson's thread on BB code might be of some assistance on that matter: it has some examples of truely obnoxious code just for this subject. RAINBOW POWER!!!

And I'm glad to give it. Helping the kiddies to realize what will and won't fly in these here forums is fun stuff.

Ah, and apparently you can get probations for the necroing(I'm guessing for repeating it, not by accident): ask painlfull2006, he posted above.

Glad to see that you added a section on the badges, by the way. I'm still a-goin for the Neo, though given my insane amounts of activity here, I'll likely hit the post count before the six months are up :D

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Alex_P said:
The66Monkey said:

See, when "standing up for everything you say" means explaining the same elementary crap over and over again to a slightly different set of people (or the same set of deeply obstinate people), you're never actually going to be able to talk about something that means a damn. Your example ranting racist might "broaden" a discussion about racial issues a bit with his crazy ranting racist viewpoint, but he also drains all the depth out of it.

The best forums I've seen are small, intimate affairs that have a specific purpose -- to talk about X -- and moderation that keeps the discussion about X. They challenge you to be a worthwhile contributor rather than an armchair ranter or a drive-by ego-stroker. And all of that demands actively resisting being part of the "raw" Internet with its bullshit culture of anonymity and random aggression.

Now, the Escapist can't be a place like that -- it's got a much bigger and wider audience and the primary goal is to keep that audience entertained and sociable rather than to enable their creative acts or grow their understanding -- but there's still a lot to learn from small, functional creative communities on the web. I think the most important thing for users to learn is not to wallow in identity; the "social network" phenomenon of this decade has really bled all over message boards, too, feeding a culture where posting something trivial about yourself qualifies as "discussion".

-- Alex
yea 90% of what u say i totally agree with, i do however claim that "you're never actually going to be able to talk about something that means a damn" is a bit over simplified since you have in some of those forums an acceptable chance to find some one equally obsessed with the subject as you are, it usually ends with you being the only ones discussing the matter at hand with only a couple of stupid comments from passer-bys in between.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I got put on probation in marhc mayhem for stating ym own personal opinion, which was fair enough but 2 posts down i justified and put out the flames i started, then got suspended.

No epic poster badge for me im afraid :(

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
Absolutely fantastic. Lord Krunk, I congratulate thee, on creating a thread as useful as this. I'm in favor of it being stickied, if that's possible.
Again, well done, and I have no critique in particular, other than the fact that I'd like to raise a complaint about the Neo badge- I do recognize that the Neo badge is awarded for those that have proven to have incredible worth, and those that have proven to be truly useful to the community, but may I suggest that the requirements for the badge be edited to 3000 posts, or 3500 posts?

Maybe even 4000 posts? 5000 posts seems like an impassable wall for more than a few people, and I'm sure I speak for the badge enthusiasts when I say its requirements may be a little too steep.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Most of this seems like common sense. A good rule of thumb is 'if you wouldn't say it to someone you barely know's face don't say it on the internet'... well for most people anyway.

Iskenator67

Jul 29, 2020
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
Simalacrum said:

oh by the way, one thing i've noticed is that people who put the first posts on Yahtzee's video - related threads (the official "thread to go with the video" stuff) tend to be on probabtion or suspended... yet when I check why they've been put on probabtion/suspension (maybe even ban?), a lot of the time the posts are completely innocent... they just happen to be some of the first posts on a yahtzee-video thread.

Check the post times and compare them with the time the video was put up. If the video was put up at 10:00 and the post is at 10:02 they watched a 5 minute video in two minutes. That can't be done so they posted before watching the video witch is not allowed. I asked the same question a few months back.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
The_Oracle said:
Absolutely fantastic. Lord Krunk, I congratulate thee, on creating a thread as useful as this. I'm in favor of it being stickied, if that's possible.
Again, well done, and I have no critique in particular, other than the fact that I'd like to raise a complaint about the Neo badge- I do recognize that the Neo badge is awarded for those that have proven to have incredible worth, and those that have proven to be truly useful to the community, but may I suggest that the requirements for the badge be edited to 3000 posts, or 3500 posts?

Maybe even 4000 posts? 5000 posts seems like an impassable wall for more than a few people, and I'm sure I speak for the badge enthusiasts when I say its requirements may be a little too steep.
That's sort of the point though, isn't it? To be unattainable save by the most pure souls?

Honestly, I like the Neo badge being as hard as it is: instead of lowering that one's post count, I'm in favor of making a badge in between Morpheus and Neo, for 3000 posts. There has to be at least one other character that people love... *cough* Smith *cough*

Besides, as long as we keep being nice, civil people on the forums, and try to avoid getting baited, the Neo is only a long way away, and not impossible in the least.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
scotth266 said:
The_Oracle said:

That's sort of the point though, isn't it? To be unattainable save by the most pure souls?

Honestly, I like the Neo badge being as hard as it is: instead of lowering that one's post count, I'm in favor of making a badge in between Morpheus and Neo, for 3000 posts. There has to be at least one other character that people love... *cough* Smith *cough*

Besides, as long as we keep being nice, civil people on the forums, and try to avoid getting baited, the Neo is only a long way away, and not impossible in the least.
Know what I think? The Neo badge should totally be 3000, and there should be a Smith badge for 4000, and an Oracle/Architect badge for 5000. That's just me as a Matrix fanboy though. I would KILL for an Oracle/Architect badge. I really would.

That said, as long as you follow all the rules, and be courteous and kind, I believe you'll be saved from the wrath of the Banhammer. Folks, we must follow the teachings of the lord Jeebus Susan who did come down from the heavens on her mystical pony if we are to survive. Amen!*

*Note: the post above is 99% satirical, 1% mod worship in the same way people worship elder gods. it is not meant to be offensive to any Christians or born-again Christians or anyone else. I know you know where I live. please don't hurt me.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
The_Oracle said:
I can tell that you were being satirical. No need for alarm :D

And I agree, though the spacing of the quantity of posts is off. Needs more Matrix... and the Oracle WAS one of the most powerful beings in the whole thing, no? Here's how it should work:

100:Trinity
1000:Ghost, Naomi, SOMEBODY ELSE
3000:Smith
5000:Morpheus
7000:Neo
8500:Oracle
10,000:Architect

I put the Architect at 10,000 because as a old guy, he represents seniority.

But we should stop clogging up this thread with our silly litte fantasy badge lineups :D

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
scotth266 said:
The_Oracle said:
I can tell that you were being satirical. No need for alarm :D

And I agree, though the spacing of the quantity of posts is off. Needs more Matrix... and the Oracle WAS one of the most powerful beings in the whole thing, no? Here's how it should work:

100:Trinity
1000:Ghost, Naomi, SOMEBODY ELSE
3000:Smith
5000:Morpheus
7000:Neo
8500:Oracle
10,000:Architect

I put the Architect at 10,000 because as a old guy, he represents seniority.

But we should stop clogging up this thread with our silly litte fantasy badge lineups :D
The Oracle was the motherfrakkin' Chessmaster. She created the entire process responsible for Neo being the One and engineered the events of all three movies, including her Smithassimilation. And she got better! She's awesome. She's my role model.

But yeah, let's take this shindig to the Badge thread. Away we go!

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
A well structured, informative thread.
However, am I understanding correctly that once you have received moderator beatings in say your first 200 posts, it then becomes impossible for you to get the Morpheus badge even if you don't get a beating from the mods when you are past 1200 posts?

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
The_Oracle said:
scotth266 said:
The_Oracle said:

Know what I think? The Neo badge should totally be 3000, and there should be a Smith badge for 4000, and an Oracle/Architect badge for 5000. That's just me as a Matrix fanboy though. I would KILL for an Oracle/Architect badge. I really would.

That said, as long as you follow all the rules, and be courteous and kind, I believe you'll be saved from the wrath of the Banhammer. Folks, we must follow the teachings of the lord Jeebus Susan who did come down from the heavens on her mystical pony if we are to survive. Amen!*

*Note: the post above is 99% satirical, 1% mod worship in the same way people worship elder gods. it is not meant to be offensive to any Christians or born-again Christians or anyone else. I know you know where I live. please don't hurt me.
I agree with Scott with regard to this, as the reason why it's such an awesome badge is that it's nigh impossible to get. And anyway, who wouldn't want to proudly flash your One-ness with the forums?

But I believe that an answer to this problem would be to have a counter that went up for every post you made, then reset if you ever suffered any mod wrath. That way it's still possible to get, but still hard as ever.
Godofgame67 said:
Simalacrum said:

Check the post times and compare them with the time the video was put up. If the video was put up at 10:00 and the post is at 10:02 they watched a 5 minute video in two minutes. That can't be done so they posted before watching the video witch is not allowed. I asked the same question a few months back.
I forgot about that; I'll add something on it later this afternoon.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
new_age_reject said:
However, am I understanding correctly that once you have received moderator beatings in say your first 200 posts, it then becomes impossible for you to get the Morpheus badge even if you don't get a beating from the mods when you are past 1200 posts?
This is true. It's assumed knowledge that you read the guidelines before you post (which is, sadly, mostly untrue), so any moderator wrath you receive in your first couple of posts (you should get a mod warning first though) will prevent you from getting any of the aforementioned badges.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Godofgame67 said:
Simalacrum said:

aaaah ok thats fair enough yah.
thankies ^^

new_age_reject

Dec 28, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
new_age_reject said:
This is true. It's assumed knowledge that you read the guidelines before you post (which is, sadly, mostly untrue), so any moderator wrath you receive in your first couple of posts (you should get a mod warning first though) will prevent you from getting any of the aforementioned badges.
OK that's fair enough.
I was hoping there are second chances but ah well, 'tis just a badge :p

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
RiftRift said:
Eggo much? That joke's been done once allready, and it made him draw the final line towards perma-ban. Please don't try to be funny like that.

new_age_reject said:
OK that's fair enough.
Seriously? That's the requirements? Never ever have one mod wraith, even though it's your second post? Damn ... I better follow Kukuls example .. Never post while having consumed alchoholic beverages .. Wich means I can't post any more today -.-

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Well put.
I wonder how different the Escapist society would be if we went back to the olden days of punishment, the one-size fits all:
"User was banned 7 Days for This Post"
-and then a mod-added reason why in Bold.

Insuch, users should be gracious for the numerous warnings they have now.

new_age_reject

Dec 28, 2008
Daye.04 said:
RiftRift said:
Eggo much? That joke's been done once allready, and it made him draw the final line towards perma-ban. Please don't try to be funny like that.

new_age_reject said:
OK that's fair enough.
Seriously? That's the requirements? Never ever have one mod wraith, even though it's your second post? Damn ... I better follow Kukuls example .. Never post while having consumed alchoholic beverages .. Wich means I can't post any more today -.-
Haha, I was having an 'off day' and I said something really stupid so fair dos lol.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
How about "Trolling for Bans", what you get for even joking about BanHammer strikes? I got that one...

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
new_age-Reject said:
Haha, I was having an 'off day' and I said something really stupid so fair dos lol.
Not .. Supposed .. To .. Post while influe.. Ah, what the hell. I probably won't get moderator wraith for this anyway.

How .. Off day? Like pissed, or not so natural feelings?
How really stupid? Like not very clever to say, or really stupid?
Come on, you'll be helpoing out fellow Escapists to know what side alleys not to enter in favor of Neo!

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
I hadn't been on the forums for a few months and I came back recently to find Eggo permabanned for posting "lol what".

Seems a little harsh to me. He was a great (long-term) poster. But then I don't make the rules.

I guess this place is ever more strict than it was before...

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
harhol said:
I hadn't been on the forums for a few months and I came back recently to find Eggo permabanned for posting "lol what".

Seems a little harsh to me. He was a great (long-term) poster. But then I don't make the rules.

I guess this place is ever more strict than it was before...
As I recall, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. He'd apparently been acting very silly: that was just the post where the mods got fed up with him. The same thing happened to Richard Groovy Pants: he got banned on a post that didn't quite make sense, but the mod in that case left a comment explaining that Richard had been making several people more than uncomfortable with certain comments. It wasn't that post in particular that got him banned, but rather other actions on the forum.

I don't know what happened myself in Eggo's case: that's just what I had heard.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
scotth266 said:
As I recall...
Ahhh right, thanks for the clarification. I thought there must be more to it than just one post.

Didn't realise Richard Groovy Pants had been permabanned as well.

=(

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Well thank you for a great read that spells out the Mod's methods of punishment. I really hope that some certain posters read this maybe we can move towards becoming one of the best forums to just chat and have a fun discussion without some idiot spamming the thread

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Useful, I suppose. I doubt most people will care to read it.

<color=white> Stand up against the maaaaan! No, I have nothing against moderators and on these forums they're doing a good job, even though a little bit harsh on some occasions... I guess I just oppose moderation. Kudos if you got white text.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Daye.04 said:
Come on, you'll be helpoing out fellow Escapists to know what side alleys not to enter in favor of Neo!
As in posting the sort of comment that you know will get banned.

See my reply to SimuLord's post [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/18.112832.2028045] for a better explanation.
smallharmlesskitten said:
Krunk to my knowledge the post timer resets.. I got banned and 200 posts and a week later I got the Trinity Badge
I thought that too, until the staff officially declared that they were unattainable after any form of moderator wrath is inflicted. Maybe you had made 100 posts, then got banned? I don't know how you managed to get it.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
UPDATE: Included 'BB Code Abuse' point under the 'Probations' subtopic. Thanks to scotth266 for the idea.

smallharmlesskitten

Not David Bowie
Apr 3, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
UPDATE: Included 'BB Code Abuse' point under the 'Probations' subtopic. Thanks to scotth266 for the idea.

Krunk.. i distinctly remember getting banned after 1000 posts or so.... ban time running out, making more posts and then getting the badge...

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
smallharmlesskitten said:
Lord Krunk said:

Krunk.. i distinctly remember getting banned after 1000 posts or so.... ban time running out, making more posts and then getting the badge...
I think I've worked out what it is.

You must have gotten 100 posts before the badges appeared, right? Considering the fact that you've been around almost as long as me.

If you made 100 posts without getting banned beforehand, you would have automatically achieved Trinity upon its release, no matter if you got banned after those first 100 posts.

Would explain why you haven't got Morpheus as well.

Raven's Nest

Feb 19, 2009
Just to point out that your banned post example, the infamous 'Eggo's Lol What?' post was one that had many people asking what he was banned for.

After all, it certainly isn't obvious. Maybe putting a more definitive example would make it clearer to the readers of this most excellent thread?

Liverandbacon

Nov 27, 2008
ravens_nest said:
Just to point out that your banned post example, the infamous 'Eggo's Lol What?' post was one that had many people asking what he was banned for.

After all, it certainly isn't obvious. Maybe putting a more definitive example would make it clearer to the readers of this most excellent thread?
Didn't the mods clarify by editing the post to explain that it wasn't the "lol wut" that got him banned, it was the huge amounts of complaints they had received regarding him? Or was that Richard Groovy Pants' ban? As to the Neo badge, I think the whole point of it is to be hard to obtain. I really do love the fact that the badges require a lack of moderator wrath, since it makes them a far more accurate barometer of someone's contribution to the forums than post count alone.

purplegothchick

Mar 19, 2009
Thankyou, I found this very useful. I haven't been a member for a very long time, so it's nice to have the rules laid out with examples to clarify them for everyone. Great work :D

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Whoohoo! I didn't realize that this had been stickied till just now. I is one happy panda!

Seriously: Good work Krunk. It's not every day that a thread is so good it gets the sticky treatment!

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
CuddlyCombine said:
CuddlyCombine said:

i did >.>
Well you shouldn't tempt them with shiny badges then Susan :p

NewClassic_v1legacy

Bringer of Words
Jul 30, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
Susan Arendt said:
CuddlyCombine said:
CuddlyCombine said:

i did >.>
Well you shouldn't tempt them with shiny badges then Susan :p
And punish us for their really bad behavior? I'd rather not.

new_age_reject

Dec 28, 2008
Daye.04 said:
new_age-Reject said:
Not .. Supposed .. To .. Post while influe.. Ah, what the hell. I probably won't get moderator wraith for this anyway.

I was having an angry day.
Which means I tend to snap at people when they haven't even done anything to irritate me.
I got all up my own ass about the whole valentines day thing and I slated the whole love hearts thing we got for no reason which was out of place.

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
new_age_reject said:
I was having an angry day.
Which means I tend to snap at people when they haven't even done anything to irritate me.
I got all up my own ass about the whole valentines day thing and I slated the whole love hearts thing we got for no reason which was out of place.
Ah. I guess it was kinda fair, then =P
This is exactly the reason I try to avoid posting if I'm up late ..

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
ravens_nest said:

I'll seriously consider it; I was hoping people would categorise his post under 'Tier 1 Repeat Offenses', but it seems a few didn't.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
[li]Repeat Threads: I?m sure that many users (particularly the newer ones) are sick of the term ?use the Search Button? being flung around on their new thread. Well, there?s a good reason for that: your thread isn?t the first of its kind, and it certainly won?t be the last. On these forums, it is unspoken law that Thread Necroing > Repeat Threads, but many new users don?t know that and put up whatever was in the back of their heads. Some repeat threads do get past the bar, however, but my advice would still be to search for a thread resembling your idea first (between you and me, use Google; the Escapist?s search feature is renowned for not being as great as it should be).[/li]
Actually... I was curious about that point myself, a while back, and made a poll regarding it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.110411] The consensus was that people would prefer to see a repeat thread rather than a 3-4 month old one be resurrected. Naturally, different people had different lines (I don't recall anyone saying less than a month before they'd prefer a repeat), but for the most part, that statement is incorrect.

Though, the poll was relatively close, to be sure. I can't blame you for saying that. Just a touch of factual inaccuracy... ;)

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Ahh, that was very nice to read, very good Krunk.
I tend to stick to the rule of "Don't piss of the moderators." Believe it or not but I was a troll on a different site, but then I saw the light.
It's never fun seeing people getting banned, suspended, or put on probation. But if they break the rules the mods stick to their guns and take them down, and I respect that.
Well that was my 2 cents on that subject.
Cheers!

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
(between you and me, use Google; the Escapist's search feature is renowned for not being as great as it should be).

needs an update here. they changed it (finally), it is now a damned good search function. hooray!!! :)

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Kuliani said:
Note that the Probation color has changed. :)
I was suprised when this happened. (Yes, it was a slow day)

It just seems a bit pointless to me, any reason why it was changed?

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
Lord Krunk said:
(between you and me, use Google; the Escapist's search feature is renowned for not being as great as it should be).

needs an update here. they changed it (finally), it is now a damned good search function. hooray!!! :)

I'll give it a good look when I get the chance.
Kuliani said:
Thanks for the info, the OP has been updated to suit this.

I would have preferred differing colours between the Suspension and Ban notices, but that's just me.
GodsOneMistake said:
Very helpful but wait does that mean i wont get the Morphius badge :'(
If you got on probation/suspended before your 1000th post, then you will not be able to receive either Morpheus or Neo.​

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
Kuliani said:

wasn't the probation colour the same as the Admin official web uniform?

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Thank you for explaining the tiers. I often wondered what would constitute a probation/ suspension thread.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
You know I take issue with one thing in your OP. You state that the Neo badge is incredibly hard to get. Really the badge isn't hard to get unless you don't think about what you are about to post, that's what I go by.
If you ever question yourself on "Will I get in trouble for this" then don't post the post. Revise, recheck, get a badge.

[small]Wouldn't it be hilarious if I got put on probation, suspension, or got banned for this?[/small]

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Sparrow Tag said:
Kuliani said:

Because the yellow was the same color yellow as the mods/staff names. (didn't want anyone to confuse the two accidentally)

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
seamusotorain said:
Is it possible to be banned for flagrant misuse of the "REPORT" button?
No. Maybe a probation if they are just trying to report everyone on every post on every page, but definitely not a ban. Please, report anything and everything you feel that could be seen as inappropriate or just plain "wrong".

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
Kuliani said:
No. Maybe a probation if they are just trying to report everyone on every post on every page, but definitely not a ban. Please, report anything and everything you feel that could be seen as inappropriate or just plain "wrong".
T'was just a thought. After all, you can report posts even if you're not signed into your account.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Just a thought, but the mods seem to be rather strict about sexist comments. I have my ideas about who specifically, but just putting it out there, watch out for those kitchen jokes and the like.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
galletea said:
Just a thought, but the mods seem to be rather strict about sexist comments. I have my ideas about who specifically, but just putting it out there, watch out for those kitchen jokes and the like.
Are you refering to jokes that start like: "What do you do if your dishwasher breaks?"

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
odubya23 said:
galletea said:
Are you refering to jokes that start like: "What do you do if your dishwasher breaks?"
Kinda, but mere references to these sorts of chauvinistic ideas seems to be enough to get you in trouble. Judging by what I've seen, if there's a thread on sexism, avoid making any jokes. They might make me laugh, but they don't amuse everyone.

zebrin

Nov 16, 2008
This was quite helpful, Useful as well. I have read the board rules(Actually the first thing I do when I join a board) and they leave a lot of room for interpretation. Leeway is a good thing to have in a system of rules, but sometimes make good members of the board leery of sharing their opinion on various topics. Anyways, thanks for making such a good topic.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
galletea said:
Oh, I was about to say this. This is a VERY scrict website with accordance to this, so new users be warned: if you take one step out of line in this department, you will recieve punishment. I mean, I just walked into a thread not five minutes ago with "Are men better than women" as the header. It was actually a rather interesting thread, or at least the OP seemed to be trying to make it interesting...

What resulted was utter madness and chaos. There were kitchen jokes aplenty, and after about 30 posts Nicypher swooped in, eyes gleaming like some sort of vampire from the pits of Hades, and slaughtered the majority of them. They deserved it, of course.

So I would like to ask you Lord Krunk, please make a section with regards to the Escapist's no-tolerance policy with regards to derogatory comments with regards to women. Some people mean what they type in good humor: it's just not meant for these forums.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Lord Krunk said:

Real Ultimate Poster: Known to many as 'Neo' for obvious reasons, this badge requires that you must make 5000 posts without incurring moderator wrath. This badge will only be available to you 6 months after you join; it is an absurdly hard badge to get, and only 3 people on The Escapist have acquired it to my knowledge.
I will get the preccccious one day. One day...

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
scotth266 said:
So I would like to ask you Lord Krunk, please make a section with regards to the Escapist's no-tolerance policy with regards to derogatory comments with regards to women. Some people mean what they type in good humor: it's just not meant for these forums.
What we don't tolerate is a bunch of anonymous 13 year old boys banding together in group misogyny and scaring all the women off the site. Every time a woman stands up to a group of guys acting like jerks on the internet she gets trivialized with more jokes and insults.If we allowed racial jokes the same would happen to other minorities as well. This is why the moderators take action against certain individuals that push the line of good taste. While we don't go out of our way to smack these people, we do want to discourage people from thinking that this is the place they can build a tree-house and post a "no gurlz allowed" sign out front.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
wilsonscrazybed said:
What we don't tolerate is a bunch of anonymous 13 year old boys banding together in group misogyny and scaring all the women off the site. Every time a woman stands up to a group of guys acting like jerks on the internet she gets trivialized with more jokes and insults.If we allowed racial jokes the same would happen to other minorities as well. This is why the moderators take action against certain individuals that push the line of good taste. While we don't go out of our way to smack these people, we do want to discourage people from thinking that this is the place they can build a tree-house and post a "no gurlz allowed" sign out front.
Ahhh, but the Female Internet User is such an insidious creature. She can worm her way past any "no gurlz" sign, even climb up the masculine ladder to the most holy of Male Temples: The Treehouse. Fear her, for she will bring retribution.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
new_age_reject said:
I suddenly understand why Krunk gave the "Real Ultimate Poster" badge the "nearly impossible" label and I now have profound new respect for my favorite badge.

new_age_reject

Dec 28, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
new_age_reject said:
I suddenly understand why Krunk gave the "Real Ultimate Poster" badge the "nearly impossible" label and I now have profound new respect for my favorite badge.
Mad props for getting it man!
Seriously, how have you not been a dick for that long!? :p

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
new_age_reject said:
I really didn't know it was that hard to not be a dick...

I just try to talk to people on "teh intarwebs" like I'd talk to them in real life.

EDIT: Once I hit 4000+ posts however I started being extra careful with what I said since... you know, no reason to mess things up when I was so close.

new_age_reject

Dec 28, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
new_age_reject said:

I just try to talk to people on "teh intarwebs" like I'd talk to them in real life.

EDIT: Once I hit 4000+ posts however I started being extra careful with what I said since... you know, no reason to mess things up when I was so close.
Haha yeah definitely, well grats anyway :p

Crazy Elf

Aug 25, 2008
Um, when a thread gets locked down, could the creator get a message relating to that fact, and, you know, a reason?

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Labyrinth said:
Christ man, you should include a bit on Twilight hate threads.
Seconded. I don't care for Twilight (not part of the target audience) but good lord, there have been like 6000 of them in the last month. And that's a LOW estimate.

H.R.Shovenstuff said:
Encouraging them.
No, it's not encouraging anything. It's just offering a friendly warning. If they don't listen, it's their fault.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
new_age_reject said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
new_age_reject said:

Haha yeah definitely, well grats anyway :p
I got banned on my second day here, so I am eligible for almost none of those badges...I hate my life.

I'm amazed it took me this long to notice this thread, I who so advocate the method of tying down new users and forcing them to read the guidelines on threat of lacerated genitalia.

Bravo, Krunk, bravo.

4fromK

Apr 15, 2009
sorry, just a question about the badges. for example, with the trinity one, when it says "but the badge may only be granted 2 weeks after you join" does that mean you can't get it before two weeks or that after two weeks its no longer available????

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
4fromK said:
sorry, just a question about the badges. for example, with the trinity one, when it says "but the badge may only be granted 2 weeks after you join" does that mean you can't get it before two weeks or that after two weeks its no longer available????
The former. You can get the badge any time after the two weeks since you joined (so long as you don't get banned in that time).

4fromK

Apr 15, 2009
uh ok another question: What the hell is this? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.114283#2083372
there are people on this thread getting put on probation for comments like "Great review as always" and "Never really liked to look of Velvet Assassain anyway, Yahtzee is as funny as ever, no matter what the game!"
Whats with the banhammer getting trotted out for (as far as I can tell) completely innocent posts? I couldn't see the difference between banned posts and thos that went unbanned. so what the fuck is up with this? modnazi much?

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
4fromK said:
uh ok another question: What the hell is this? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.114283#2083372
there are people on this thread getting put on probation for comments like "Great review as always" and "Never really liked to look of Velvet Assassain anyway, Yahtzee is as funny as ever, no matter what the game!"
Whats with the banhammer getting trotted out for (as far as I can tell) completely innocent posts? I couldn't see the difference between banned posts and thos that went unbanned. so what the fuck is up with this? modnazi much?
That was answered in the OP...

(Hint: look at the time stamps).

Edit: upon rereading the OP, I've noticed that it's not made explicit. They're basically posting that they loved the video before they could have watched the video, hence it's a version of people typing "F1RST!!!!11!" etc. That's frowned upon at the The Escapist, hence they get suspended / banned.

H.R.Shovenstuff

Sep 19, 2008
scotth266 said:
Labyrinth said:
Christ man, you should include a bit on Twilight hate threads.
Seconded. I don't care for Twilight (not part of the target audience) but good lord, there have been like 6000 of them in the last month. And that's a LOW estimate.

H.R.Shovenstuff said:
Encouraging them.
No, it's not encouraging anything. It's just offering a friendly warning. If they don't listen, it's their fault.
I was joking, I meant you should encourage the Hate threads. As a joke.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Thankyou for this. Me, being a repressed psychotic who, on the last forum site he went to, went on a total crazy killing spree writing absurdly insulting messages on the walls for no apparent reason, am going to try and aim for the Neo(fat chance). Two questions: If I get in trouble AFTER getting the badges, will I still have them, and also, is it not allowed to post personal content (e.g. short stories, etc.) get you in trouble? thnx!

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
FROGGEman2 said:
Two questions: If I get in trouble AFTER getting the badges, will I still have them, and also, is it not allowed to post personal content (e.g. short stories, etc.) get you in trouble? thnx!
If you get a suspension/probation/ban after getting the badges, you do not lose them. However, it prevents you from getting the next one up.

As for personal content, it really depends on what you're planning on posting. Off-topic does enjoy a good rant, User Reviews is specifically made for you to post your reviews, so you should be fine. So long as you don't advertise your website.

4fromK

Apr 15, 2009
Lukeje said:
4fromK said:
That was answered in the OP...

(Hint: look at the time stamps).

Edit: upon rereading the OP, I've noticed that it's not made explicit. They're basically posting that they loved the video before they could have watched the video, hence it's a version of people typing "F1RST!!!!11!" etc. That's frowned upon at the The Escapist, hence they get suspended / banned.
okyeah that makes alot of sense. i just looked at the video and tripped the fuck out. i guess thats why comments that specifically quote from the vid arent banned.

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
The official forum posting guidelines thread has been replaced by a new, shiny version.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.116826

(I already edited the link in this main thread for you, Krunk) :)

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Kuliani said:
The official forum posting guidelines thread has been replaced by a new, shiny version.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.116826

(I already edited the link in this main thread for you, Krunk) :)
Thank you very much Kuliani, I was actually wondering why my sticky became unstuck.

I like your new guidelines thread, and how you used the badges in context. Very amusing.

Annwyn

Jun 4, 2009
Well, after that read, I'm now carefully stowing all my troll-feed and flamethrowers. Carefully, because the feed smells toxic and the flamethrower tank is leaking.

I did find this thread helpful in the way that resembled something along the lines of, "Mods that actually do their job?! No way!" Thus is my experience of gamer forums, at least.

I'll do my best to skirt lightly around mod-related encounters of the negative nature. Something tells me it would be in my own best interest.

Sorry... I'm getting distracted with how this little type window gets bigger when I start filling it up... Oh. Now its stopped.

Anyway.

No. That's it. Thanks for packaging the rules in this neat little box with nice shiney wrapping paper so that it would attract the attention of easily-distracted, hyperactive midgets like me. Let's see if I can put it to good use, now...

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
Very helpful topic thanks! Was unclear as to why people would get bans and suspensions. Now I am not :)

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Nice

What? I haven't even said anything!

[small]User's house was set on fire for this post.[/small]

Anyways, kudos for the thread, I found it very useful. I aspire to earn the Neo badge one day...

Jun 8, 2009
So, the badges that take several months can only be received after those several months from when you join? Or is it before those months are up?

And the guide was really helpful.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
cantthinkofausername said:
So, the badges that take several months can only be received after those several months from when you join? Or is it before those months are up?
The former, you can only receive the badge after the minimum time on the badge. For example, if you get 100 posts before your first fortnight (without moderator wrath) on the site, you will only receive the badge after those 2 weeks have passed.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
[HEADING=2]Badges and Bannings[/HEADING]​

Of the many badges you can receive, three of them are dependent on how your actions have reflected on the community:

Notable Poster: Known to many as 'Trinity' for obvious reasons, this badge requires that you make 100 posts without incurring any moderator wrath (whether it be Tier 1, 2 or 3), but the badge may only be granted 2 weeks after you join.

Epic Poster: Known to many as 'Morpheus' for obvious reasons, this badge requires that you must make 1000 posts without incurring moderator wrath. This badge will only be available 2 months after you join.

Real Ultimate Poster: Known to many as 'Neo' for obvious reasons, this badge requires that you must make 5000 posts without incurring moderator wrath. This badge will only be available to you 6 months after you join; it is an absurdly hard badge to get, and only 3 people on The Escapist have acquired it to my knowledge.

Please note that once you receive any form of moderator wrath, then these badges will be unavailable to you. Harsh, but fair.

Also note that having a thread of yours locked does not result in your inability to receive the badges.
Hmmm, I always thought that it was more of a counter with these things, you just had to do 100, 1000 or 5000 in a row without wrath, not %100 clean of it all. oh well, i guess i won't be getting anything anymore.

p.s. removing the possibility removes all hope after the first wrath, thus removing incentive to stop repeat offenses, the mods may need to take this into account.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
p.s. removing the possibility removes all hope after the first wrath, thus removing incentive to stop repeat offenses, the mods may need to take this into account.
Which is half the reason everyone believed that it was just a 'Get Banned, Start Again' type of deal. While I too think that that is the better option, the staff did clarify that there are no second chances.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
Which is half the reason everyone believed that it was just a 'Get Banned, Start Again' type of deal. While I too think that that is the better option, the staff did clarify that there are no second chances.
Not true.
In some cases, usually months after any offences, a mod may take the liberty of removing all mod wrath from a user's history. Success depends on which moderator is asked and how nicely the user asks.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Pi_Fighter said:
Lord Krunk said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
Not true.
In some cases, usually months after any offences, a mod may take the liberty of removing all mod wrath from a user's history. Success depends on which moderator is asked and how nicely the user asks.
I know that is the case, but Wilson is the only person ever to make a concession, and that was once to my memory.

As such, I'm not counting on it that everyone can get a second/third/umpteenth chance. Not to mention that for me to say so would cause the Mods' inboxes to explode.

wilsonscrazybed

Dec 16, 2007
Lord Krunk said:
I know that is the case, but Wilson is the only person ever to make a concession, and that was once to my memory.

As such, I'm not counting on it that everyone can get a second/third/umpteenth chance. Not to mention that for me to say so would cause the Mods' inboxes to explode.
The only time I've ever done that was for a very minor infraction months after it had been issued and the user demonstrated that he understood what he did wrong and stopped doing it.

Ginnipe

May 25, 2009
Escapist moderators post these threads and a good amount of people listen to them (including me)yet i still find many people posting random threads or replies as if they want to be suspended/on probation/banned, it still perplexes me.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Ginnipe said:
Escapist moderators post these threads and a good amount of people listen to them (including me)yet i still find many people posting random threads or replies as if they want to be suspended/on probation/banned, it still perplexes me.
It's an issue that will always plague us; some people just refuse to read the Guidelines, or are merely trolls. There are always some, but the majority of us are better than that.

In other news: 19/6/09: Changed link to Ban example in memory of The Necroswanson, and also in response to people wondering about Eggo.

R.I.P. Necro, it's a shame to see such a great guy leave us. That said, with that post you made, you sorta deserved it.

Shapsters

Dec 16, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
Ginnipe said:
It's an issue that will always plague us; some people just refuse to read the Guidelines, or are merely trolls. There are always some, but the majority of us are better than that.

In other news: 19/6/09: Changed link to Ban example in memory of The Necroswanson, and also in response to people wondering about Eggo.

R.I.P. Necro, it's a shame to see such a great guy leave us. That said, with that post you made, you sorta deserved it.
I can't say I agree with you, I really don't feel he deserved to be banned. Sure his post was a little out of line, and extremely ranty, but banned?! I have seen considerably worse and no bans. I don't want this to sound like I have a problem with the mods but I feel that they going rather crazy with suspending/probations. People are getting punished when they shouldn't be, and people that should be punished aren't.

Anyways, very nice guide, lots of useful tips and should be read by all members before posting. Its good to not have to learn these kinds of things the hard way.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Shapsters said:
I can't say I agree with you, I really don't feel he deserved to be banned. Sure his post was a little out of line, and extremely ranty, but banned?! I have seen considerably worse and no bans. I don't want this to sound like I have a problem with the mods but I feel that they going rather crazy with suspending/probations. People are getting punished when they shouldn't be, and people that should be punished aren't.
Being from 2007, Necroswanson actually has quite a big Ban record, not to mention that he only just got out of a suspension (for getting into a flame war with Cheeze_Pavillion) to post that. If I were a Mod, I wouldn't be too impressed either.

And then he said that '[murder] is as natural as breathing'. And he wasn't saying it in jest.

Several members who wouldn't normally be banned have been for outbursts like that, see Pie and Fish Food Carl for examples (I can't think of any others at the moment).

All that said, I agree with you. I really didn't expect Necroswanson to be banned; he was a great member and I'll miss him.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
Chiddy said:
Is there a thread with all the badges listed?
Indeed there is:

[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.84454#1204277[/link]

Lord Krunk said:

*sighs* Still waiting to be awarded this one. 1000+ posts with no ban history (according to the Mods) and no badge as of yet...

Chiddy

Jun 18, 2009
Machines Are Us said:
Chiddy said:
Is there a thread with all the badges listed?
Indeed there is:

[link]http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.84454#1204277[/link]
Thanks for that ive been lookign for one for a while
also ive got a thread with over 50 comments, yet no badge??? nvm its up now thx

Fire Daemon

Quoth the Daemon
Dec 18, 2007
I still can't get over TheNecroswanson's banning. It is no lie that he was a big part of the community in the early days (that being late 07 which isn't really that early) and the hole left by his departure will never be filled. I would like for his ban to be lifted but I know that will never happen. Judging by the manner of his departure I doubt he would want to come back if he was allowed.

I'm finding it harder to judge the reactions of moderators recently, especially since it seems that Escapist employees have taken up the banhammer (let us not forget March Mayhem). It was easy when it was just Wilsoncrazybed and Nilcypher and even easier when it was just Joe but now we have three Red Guards (Alex_P has been doing a great job, don't get me wrong) and the possibility of any staff member taking up the moderation call. It doesn't seem fair that the users don't completely understand what is ban worthy and what isn't it. The excuse that the moderators can't see everything and that the report function isn't being used is not one I believe anymore. I have seen plenty of people get away with bad posts, bad posts I'm sure must have been reported at least twice. Then we have things like the TheNecroswanson incident in which he was banned before anybody could have commented in his thread. I don't know, it just seems unlikely that TheNecroswanson could be banned for something so quickly. It might have just been timing and an attention grabbing title but still... it seems strange. Anyway, the lines between ban-worthy and not seem to be fading these days. I think something should be done to fix that, what I'm not sure, but something. Maybe restrict moderation to the moderators so that a more stable standard can be maintained? This thread certainly helps explain things but it doesn't tell us when a particular mod is in a bad mood and out for blood.

Anyway, this thread is really helpful. I'm glad someone made it and even gladder it was stickied. Well done Krunk.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well Simulord, I've gotten nailed on Gamefaqs for talking about how politics have influanced games, and once for posting an obvious satirization of the Resident Evil 5 racism contreversy (at a time when it seemed people were calling EVERY game racist, and not just that one, just to get attention). Never in serious trouble though.

Simply saying that you planned to vote Conservative however does seem rather off topic.

Speaking theoretically however, I do not think that moderators should have any authority to do anything to a post that is on topic for the board at hand, no matter what it says, how it says it, or whom it may offend. I see this as part of free speech. If they create a forum dedicated to a subject that can be viewed publically (totally sealed forums being something else IMO) they should have to allow totally free discussion as long as it stays on that subject or flows a discussion on it.

I say this not because I've been banned a lot (only two places have ever banned me, neither of which had a good or fair reason, but that is other stories), or even suspended all that often (Gamefaqs is the only site that has ever suspended me, once for no fair reason, and once when I was admittedly pushing the envelope to make what I saw as a nessicary point).

My concern overall is free speech in general, and internet forums are actually only a tiny portion of it. See the idea in our country was to limit the abillity of anyone to control what anyone else wants to say (within certain VERY loose guidelines). The laws as written assumed that only the goverment would have the motivation, and abillity to actually censor the people.

However nowadays in "the information age" most communication platforms are privatly owned. The people running them have the abillity to very tightly control who gets to speak, and what they are allowed to say. This can range from someone loading a political discussion by only allowing morons to speak on the side the platform doesn't agree with, to just not allowing certain people or group the abillity to speak at all.

I have a certain issue with guys like Ted Turner, or some random forum mod, being able to control what I'm allowed to say to others due to their "private" stauts, when elected officials cannot do the same thing. I believe someone should be able to create a private platform, and keep things on subject, but should not be allowed to control the content.

I know to many his makes me a jerk, and I admit it's an extreme position (and one I haven't always held) but over the years I've come to the conclusion that private owenership rights of communication platforms have lead to incredible amounts of censorship, political bias, discrimination, and even negative effects on free expression in our culture when it comes to groups like the ESRB being able to "label" games and thus determine when and where they are sold and to whom. Makers of movies and TV shows being afraid to do what they want for fear of not being able to find a platform if they "do it right" or don't wind up retroactively inserting unneeded elements or characters to make it "politically correct" or whatever.

Truthfully, I see internet forums as being very minor in this equasion (I'm mostly concerned about larger networks and such), mostly included on theory. However when you see posts like this it simply reminds me of the greater issues.

In the end the bottom line is that if you annoy the people running a private platform they can kick you off, no matter what it was for. No court of recourse, no appeal. The goverment can't practically force a website to give you access. Guidelines are just that, not laws.

I understand why things are like that, but morally I find it wrong, and I find it mildly disturbing to even have a conversation like this.

>>>----Therumancer--->

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
A thing I wonder (and still slightly bothers me) is when I was suspended for asking a (really stupid question on my part) in the WarCry forums, after I appealed it I was still suspended over there but not here. From my understanding, any mod wrath gained in those forums is just the same as any here at the Escapist. I kind of find it strange I was not suspended from here as well.

Chiddy

Jun 18, 2009
Hey, um ive got a thread with 1233 views, and no badge? i know my views dont count, but I havent viewed it 233 times ???

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
megapenguinx said:
A thing I wonder (and still slightly bothers me) is when I was suspended for asking a (really stupid question on my part) in the WarCry forums, after I appealed it I was still suspended over there but not here. From my understanding, any mod wrath gained in those forums is just the same as any here at the Escapist. I kind of find it strange I was not suspended from here as well.
The WarCry forums aren't the Escapist forums. Different rules, different topics, different mods and a different community. As far as I know, a probation/suspension over there won't affect you over here and vice-versa.

Of course, I could be wrong.
Chiddy said:
Hey, um ive got a thread with 1233 views, and no badge? i know my views dont count, but I havent viewed it 233 times ???
As far as I know (again), badges are released at particular times. This sounds more likely to be a glitch though; ask a staff member to get a bit more info.

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Chiddy said:
Badges are given at 10am (can't remember the time zone though) the next day. So if it's from today you should be getting it tomorrow. If it's been a few days, yeah you might want to ask someone.

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
I still want to know what the exact definition of a troll is. Because people have reffered to me as that before, but I just thought I was being opinionated.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
I still want to know what the exact definition of a troll is. Because people have reffered to me as that before, but I just thought I was being opinionated.
Google says

"
One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
"

KingPiccolOwned

Jan 12, 2009
berethond said:
Google says

"
One who purposely and deliberately (that purpose usually being self-amusement) starts an argument in a manner which attacks others on a forum without in any way listening to the arguments proposed by his or her peers. He will spark of such an argument via the use of ad hominem attacks (i.e. 'you're nothing but a fanboy' is a popular phrase) with no substance or relevence to back them up as well as straw man arguments, which he uses to simply avoid addressing the essence of the issue.
"
Well I don't think I did that, as I recall I was expressing my genuine opinions on the subject, not necessarily with the intention of starting any manner of argument. Although I guess that those kind of responses kind of come with the territory of questioning the quality of turn based gameplay, and the Final Fantasy series.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
KingPiccolOwned said:
Well I don't think I did that, as I recall I was expressing my genuine opinions on the subject, not necessarily with the intention of starting any manner of argument. Although I guess that those kind of responses kind of come with the territory of questioning the quality of turn based gameplay, and the Final Fantasy series.
Maybe, maybe not.
People tend to assume a lot, on the Internet.

Chiddy

Jun 18, 2009
megapenguinx said:
Chiddy said:
Badges are given at 10am (can't remember the time zone though) the next day. So if it's from today you should be getting it tomorrow. If it's been a few days, yeah you might want to ask someone.
its all good, thx if someone saw this or other posts and fixed it :p

Chiddy

Jun 18, 2009
Hey just wondering if you were planing on adding a section that would explain how many posts you need for a certain title, i've looked around the forums and cant seem to find a thread on it???

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Chiddy said:
Hey just wondering if you were planing on adding a section that would explain how many posts you need for a certain title, i've looked around the forums and cant seem to find a thread on it???
Hmm, I've forgotten how many posts it takes to achieve certain titles. I'll do a bit of research, but how it will fit in with a thread about Bans, I don't know.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Chiddy said:
Hmm, I've forgotten how many posts it takes to achieve certain titles. I'll do a bit of research, but how it will fit in with a thread about Bans, I don't know.
Short answer: it won't. However, to be helpful, here's a few I know:

Anonymous Source: 0-25 posts.
Paperboy: 25-50 posts.
Copy Clerk: 50-100 posts.
Beat Writer: 100-200 posts.
Muckraker: 200-300 posts.
Press Junketeer: 300-500 posts.
Infamous Scribbler: 500-750 posts.
Pulitzer Laureate: 750-1000 posts.
Gone Gonzo: 1000+ posts.
Master Archivest: 5000+ posts.
Wordsmith Extraordinaire: 10,000+ posts. Only Indigo Dingo has achieved this, to my knowledge.

Chiddy

Jun 18, 2009
scotth266 said:
Lord Krunk said:
Chiddy said:
Short answer: it won't. However, to be helpful, here's a few I know:

Anonymous Source: 0-25 posts.
Paperboy: 25-50 posts.
Copy Clerk: 50-100 posts.
Beat Writer: 100-200 posts.
Muckraker: 200-300 posts.
Press Junketeer: 300-500 posts.
Infamous Scribbler: 500-750 posts.
Pulitzer Laureate: 750-1000 posts.
Gone Gonzo: 1000+ posts.
Master Archivest: 5000+ posts.
Wordsmith Extraordinaire: 10,000+ posts. Only Indigo Dingo has achieved this, to my knowledge.
Thanks i thought it was relevant because underneath the ban hammer information there is info on the badges, i thought this was similar to titles, in comparison to awards and stuff like that

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Nov 17, 2020
Lord Krunk said:
Lots of stuff
Just an update for you, there is an additional level of moderation under probation. Official warnings can be issued that send PMs and stay listed in a user's ban history. They don't show publicly though, and don't affect the badges. But they do impact what future penalties will be.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Virgil said:
Lord Krunk said:
Lots of stuff
Just an update for you, there is an additional level of moderation under probation. Official warnings can be issued that send PMs and stay listed in a user's ban history. They don't show publicly though, and don't affect the badges. But they do impact what future penalties will be.
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about those completely. Thanks for the heads-up, I'll update as soon as I can.

McMo0^

Dec 21, 2007
I've got a question. I was just looking around for some kind of post regarding windows 7 not being shipped with IE in europe because of marketing laws or something. Anyways i noticed someone got a permanant ban for the post "lol what".

Is that because the post was so horrific that moderators had to change it before they got banned, or did they get banned for that specific post, and if so why?

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
McMo0^ said:
I've got a question. I was just looking around for some kind of post regarding windows 7 not being shipped with IE in europe because of marketing laws or something. Anyways i noticed someone got a permanant ban for the post "lol what".

Is that because the post was so horrific that moderators had to change it before they got banned, or did they get banned for that specific post, and if so why?
No, he was banned because his history was full of inflammatory remarks and insults, as well as a general lack of respect.
(NOTE: I am not a mod, but this is how I understand it to be.)

Nov 28, 2007
berethond said:
McMo0^ said:

No, he was banned because his history was full of inflammatory remarks and insults, as well as a general lack of respect.
That was Eggo, right? Yeah, I believe it was more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" type deal.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
thebobmaster said:
berethond said:
McMo0^ said:

That was Eggo, right? Yeah, I believe it was more of a "straw that broke the camel's back" type deal.
It wasn't Eggo that time, but Eggo was banned for posting "lol what" on another thread about Microsoft, as well as his history of flaming.

We don't like using "Lol what" solely making up posts anyway, as it adds nothing to the discussion, but those posters have usually had a history of mod wrath, and that makes up why they were banned as well.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Zombie_Fish said:
thebobmaster said:
berethond said:
McMo0^ said:

It wasn't Eggo that time, but Eggo was banned for posting "lol what" on another thread about Microsoft, as well as his history of flaming.

We don't like using "Lol what" solely making up posts anyway, as it adds nothing to the discussion, but those posters have usually had a history of mod wrath, and that makes up why they were banned as well.
Maybe it was Pyronox [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.109951.1895037] he was talking about, he got banned for the same reason as Eggo, and with the same words.

Mind you, the thread wasn't about Windows 7 either.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Zombie_Fish said:
thebobmaster said:
berethond said:
McMo0^ said:

Maybe it was Pyronox [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.109951.1895037] he was talking about, he got banned for the same reason as Eggo, and with the same words.

Mind you, the thread wasn't about Windows 7 either.
Being the sad person that I am I have looked in the forums for what has to be about half an hour and can't find anyone banned for a thread about Windows 7 and IE, yet alone for posting "lol what" in it, so I'm going to go for the closest one and say Eggo, despite my thoughts before.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
SimuLord said:
Like most of the Internet, the Escapist falls into the trap of politically correct bigotry---it is perfectly fine to rip Acceptable Targets [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AcceptableTargets],
I'm not sure you can say that in light of the fact that one of the most (in)famous members on here just got banned for a post expressing bigotry towards Christians.

Alex_P

All I really do is threadcrap
Mar 27, 2008
SimuLord said:
Dunno about that. I recently told off a whole bunch of people who were posting torture fantasies about the most acceptable of "Acceptable Targets" -- sex offenders.

On a large open forum, though, you do have to pick your battles. Attack language has become so embedded in the basic communication style of the Internet that we can't possibly hope to remove or "punish" all of it.

Plainly put, I personally prioritize racist and sexist language over the other kinds of mudslinging because the discourse on gaming forums really is overwhelmingly controlled by cisgendered heterosexual white men. I'm not as worried about, say, political language, because I do at least see a "healthy" back-and-forth going on: there's roughly equal hate for Fox News and "political correctness", which is what passes for a balance between "liberal" and "conservative" ideology on the Internet. (And, let's be honest here, people here still get away with a massive quantity of ridiculous bigotry just by using "I" statements instead of racial slurs.)

The message I really want to send is that no personal attacks or group attacks are truly safe. If you make an ass out of yourself, you're always a potential target for "moderator wrath", regardless of whom you happen to be attacking. The only way to really win this game is not to be an ass.

-- Alex

traceur_

Feb 19, 2009
scotth266 said:
MoonPenguin also has, I think he/she is somewhere in the vicinity of 12,000 posts.

pigeon_of_doom

Vice-Captain Hammer
Feb 9, 2008
Virgil said:
Are records of those messages deleted after a period of time, or are they permanent? Or is there at least some kind of time-stamp to prevent members who've been around for a while getting harsher penalties based on indiscretions from years back?

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
pigeon_of_doom said:
Virgil said:
Are records of those messages deleted after a period of time, or are they permanent? Or is there at least some kind of time-stamp to prevent members who've been around for a while getting harsher penalties based on indiscretions from years back?
Yes, they have dates on them.

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
traceur_ said:
MoonPenguin also has, I think he/she is somewhere in the vicinity of 12,000 posts.
Not that a post count is a benefit here.
It doesn't even guarantee 'fame'. It used to, but now the community is too big for that to work.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
Anarchemitis said:
traceur_ said:
It doesn't even guarantee 'fame'. It used to, but now the community is too big for that to work.
I don't recognize users by their post count: I recognize them by their avatars.

Which is why it sucks when people change them all the time... I can't keep track of some users and wind up thinking that it's someone new (Max especially, dude changes his avatar more often than most people change clothes these days) until I look at their name.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
scotth266 said:
Anarchemitis said:
traceur_ said:

Which is why it sucks when people change them all the time... I can't keep track of some users and wind up thinking that it's someone new (Max especially, dude changes his avatar more often than most people change clothes these days) until I look at their name.
Same here. When I changed my original avatar (a silhouette of Beat from JSRF, had it for 6 months), a lot of people complained. I haven't gone back to using it yet.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
this thread is very help full thanks :)

EDIT : also i got put on probation for calling ultrajoe a dickhead >.<, bit unfair in my opinion

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Blackadder51 said:

EDIT : also i got put on probation for calling ultrajoe a dickhead >.<, bit unfair in my opinion
Hardly.
One word post that are off-topic and inflamatory tend to be frowned upon.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
scotth266 said:
Anarchemitis said:
traceur_ said:

Same here. When I changed my original avatar (a silhouette of Beat from JSRF, had it for 6 months), a lot of people complained. I haven't gone back to using it yet.
Well, it's easier to remember a picture than a number. Especially if a lot of those numbers are very similar.

But I do that as well. It usually takes me a while to notice when Max changes his avatar, and also when The_Oracle changed his, I didn't notice that for a few days I think. Mostly because it was no longer the oracle.

The result being I usually try to avoid changing my avatar.

Blackadder51 said:

Have you talked to the mods about that? All I know is that one word posts are frowned upon, as well as insulting posts, but I can see why you would instantly think that after seeing his post. Try PM'ing a mod about it if you care that much about it.

Blackadder51

Escapecraft Operator
Jun 25, 2009
Blackadder51 said:

Have you talked to the mods about that? All I know is that one word posts are frowned upon, as well as insulting posts, but I can see why you would instantly think that after seeing his post. Try PM'ing a mod about it if you care that much about it.[/quote]

Yeh i have put i have got no response..

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Blackadder51 said:
Zombie_Fish said:
Blackadder51 said:

Have you talked to the mods about that? All I know is that one word posts are frowned upon, as well as insulting posts, but I can see why you would instantly think that after seeing his post. Try PM'ing a mod about it if you care that much about it.
Well just wait then. Mods aren't on 24/7 and unless it's completely irrational whatsoever they will give reasoning for it. You'll probably get a response from them sometime tomorrow, tonight possibly.

wilsonscrazybed

Dec 16, 2007
Blackadder51 said:
Your response to the probation will be read during business hours Monday by an editor. This is not the right place to talk about user specific moderation.

Specialist Willy

Jul 4, 2009
Definetely informative and worrisome. These guys don't screw around. But I guess now a days one can't screw around for fear of (dare I say it) offending someone. But que sera sera.

Berethond

Nov 8, 2008
Krunk, your permaban example post has been 404'd.
Just thought I'd let you know.