The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
This is very useful..I always wondered exactly what was required to get a T2 or 3 ban, specifically. Very nice, Krunk.

This should be starred on the front page along with the Forum Guidelines, seriously.

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
I was ready for a horrible post about how horrible it is not knowing why a thread got locked, but good job.

can we sticky this.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Good guide, not that I ever needed it...

*smugly indicates his coveted Neo Badge*

[small]User was banned for this post.(Permanent)[/small]

well damn...

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
This thing needs to instantly be made into a permathread. Everyone go spam the thread about that, quick! (Note: thread-spamming is still bad :D)

Only thing I would have like to see would be a little more info/discussion on necroing(and when it is/isn't appropriate), especially since a wave of necroed news threads seems to have been popping up recently. Also, a mention of BB abuse would likely be appropriate.

Hey kids, I've got some candy...

Well, there goes my chances at the Neo...

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
If you are so inclined, you should contact Inverse_Skies to have him put this in his thread of threads.
Thanks, I'll do that.
Lukeje said:
Pretty interesting, but the actual "User was banned for" is made using [small][/small] tags,
i.e. [small]User was banned for this post.[/small]
Yeah, I sort of didn't know what to do there; should have researched Forum Markup first.

Thanks for the help, I'll add the small tags in.
scotth266 said:
This thing needs to instantly be made into a permathread. Everyone go spam the thread about that, quick! (Note: thread-spamming is still bad :D)

Only thing I would have like to see would be a little more info/discussion on necroing(and when it is/isn't appropriate), especially since a wave of necroed news threads seems to have been popping up recently. Also, a mention of BB abuse would likely be appropriate.
Excuse my uninformed-ness, but what does BB stand for?

And as for necroing threads, I am not too sure how to say when it's good and when it's bad. Really, I deem it to be good until a month after its connception, but others (like PurpleRain's Quote Thread) tend to survive.

Thanks for the feedback though; I'm glad that these few hours of work wasn't a waste of time on my part.

iain62a

Oct 9, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
How very helpful of you.
If you are so inclined, you should contact Inverse_Skies to have him put this in his thread of threads.
What, like a meta thread?

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
I shall be keeping this thread bookmarked so that I can refer others to it whenever needed. Luckily, I already follow all these rules, so that Neo badge is as good as mi--

WHAT!?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Ouch. Lots of words make my brain hurt.

I hate to be such a lazy peeve, but I'll just skim read it. Very indepth though. Good job.

bitzi61 said:
People just have to realize that, if they arn't stupid, they won't get banned
It's not that simple. Far from it. I was once banned for laughing at someone's joke, which I didn't think actually fitted the forum rules.

But lo' and behold, after I re-read them, I actually came to the conclusion I that the moderator was right to put me on probation (However, it was still quite harsh).

If I've read it right, this thread is trying to help people find the where the line is, inbetween voicing your opinion, and being a ban-able jackass.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
its the Escapists edition of the Wasteland survival guide! :D

oh by the way, one thing i've noticed is that people who put the first posts on Yahtzee's video - related threads (the official "thread to go with the video" stuff) tend to be on probabtion or suspended... yet when I check why they've been put on probabtion/suspension (maybe even ban?), a lot of the time the posts are completely innocent... they just happen to be some of the first posts on a yahtzee-video thread.

does anyone know why this is? just a curiosity

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
Well made and concise. Also like the poll option to see how many people just can't help themselves. I can happily say I wasn't one of them :)

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
iain62a said:
MaxTheReaper said:
How very helpful of you.
What, like a meta thread?
its a thread designed to direct people to some of the best threads on the forums. It's great because rather than needing to bookmark a million threads, you only need to bookmark the one.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I learned a long time ago (thankfully through others' rather than my own experience) that if someone makes a tasteless racist or sexist joke, it is perfectly OK to laugh at it, but to quote the post and let someone know you laughed at it? Verboten.

Like most of the Internet, the Escapist falls into the trap of politically correct bigotry---it is perfectly fine to rip Acceptable Targets [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AcceptableTargets], but go after a pet liberal cause (with a "kitchen/sammich" joke or anything that's racist toward any race other than white people) and you're up a creek.

It's not as bad as some sites (I once got a three-day suspension from GameFAQs for---I am not making this up---stating I planned to vote Republican), but it is still ultimately a tilted playing field that makes it a lot less shocking that sites like Conservapedia and Metapedia exist.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Excuse my uninformed-ness, but what does BB stand for?

And as for necroing threads, I am not too sure how to say when it's good and when it's bad. Really, I deem it to be good until a month after its connception, but others (like PurpleRain's Quote Thread) tend to survive.

Thanks for the feedback though; I'm glad that these few hours of work wasn't a waste of time on my part.
Ah, it's the tags added onto text, like the small or color things. Flagrant abuse of these is uncommon, but it happened in the past apparently.

And as for the necros, I asked Tendo about it. Apparently it's ok to necro something as long as you have added something significant to the discussion. Still, you might want to stick in a note telling people to avoid it when it comes to news threads. I mean, did we really need to be reminded of Soulja Boy's attempt to make a game about himself?

Also, you need to change the bottom to include [small](Permanent).[/small] Just for the lulz :D

CuddlyCombine

Sep 12, 2007
sorry user name taken. said:
CuddlyCombine said:
Helpful, but I'm still willing to bet that hardly anybody's going to read it.

i did >.>
Anyone serious about the forums will (i.e. myself, you). Badge miners and postcounting freaks probably won't, or give it a skim at best.