The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Most of this seems like common sense. A good rule of thumb is 'if you wouldn't say it to someone you barely know's face don't say it on the internet'... well for most people anyway.

Iskenator67

Dec 12, 2008
My Comfy Chair
Country
United States
Simalacrum said:
its the Escapists edition of the Wasteland survival guide! :D

oh by the way, one thing i've noticed is that people who put the first posts on Yahtzee's video - related threads (the official "thread to go with the video" stuff) tend to be on probabtion or suspended... yet when I check why they've been put on probabtion/suspension (maybe even ban?), a lot of the time the posts are completely innocent... they just happen to be some of the first posts on a yahtzee-video thread.

does anyone know why this is? just a curiosity
Check the post times and compare them with the time the video was put up. If the video was put up at 10:00 and the post is at 10:02 they watched a 5 minute video in two minutes. That can't be done so they posted before watching the video witch is not allowed. I asked the same question a few months back.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
The_Oracle said:
Absolutely fantastic. Lord Krunk, I congratulate thee, on creating a thread as useful as this. I'm in favor of it being stickied, if that's possible.
Again, well done, and I have no critique in particular, other than the fact that I'd like to raise a complaint about the Neo badge- I do recognize that the Neo badge is awarded for those that have proven to have incredible worth, and those that have proven to be truly useful to the community, but may I suggest that the requirements for the badge be edited to 3000 posts, or 3500 posts?

Maybe even 4000 posts? 5000 posts seems like an impassable wall for more than a few people, and I'm sure I speak for the badge enthusiasts when I say its requirements may be a little too steep.
That's sort of the point though, isn't it? To be unattainable save by the most pure souls?

Honestly, I like the Neo badge being as hard as it is: instead of lowering that one's post count, I'm in favor of making a badge in between Morpheus and Neo, for 3000 posts. There has to be at least one other character that people love... *cough* Smith *cough*

Besides, as long as we keep being nice, civil people on the forums, and try to avoid getting baited, the Neo is only a long way away, and not impossible in the least.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
scotth266 said:
The_Oracle said:
Absolutely fantastic. Lord Krunk, I congratulate thee, on creating a thread as useful as this. I'm in favor of it being stickied, if that's possible.
Again, well done, and I have no critique in particular, other than the fact that I'd like to raise a complaint about the Neo badge- I do recognize that the Neo badge is awarded for those that have proven to have incredible worth, and those that have proven to be truly useful to the community, but may I suggest that the requirements for the badge be edited to 3000 posts, or 3500 posts?

Maybe even 4000 posts? 5000 posts seems like an impassable wall for more than a few people, and I'm sure I speak for the badge enthusiasts when I say its requirements may be a little too steep.
That's sort of the point though, isn't it? To be unattainable save by the most pure souls?

Honestly, I like the Neo badge being as hard as it is: instead of lowering that one's post count, I'm in favor of making a badge in between Morpheus and Neo, for 3000 posts. There has to be at least one other character that people love... *cough* Smith *cough*

Besides, as long as we keep being nice, civil people on the forums, and try to avoid getting baited, the Neo is only a long way away, and not impossible in the least.
Know what I think? The Neo badge should totally be 3000, and there should be a Smith badge for 4000, and an Oracle/Architect badge for 5000. That's just me as a Matrix fanboy though. I would KILL for an Oracle/Architect badge. I really would.

That said, as long as you follow all the rules, and be courteous and kind, I believe you'll be saved from the wrath of the Banhammer. Folks, we must follow the teachings of the lord Jeebus Susan who did come down from the heavens on her mystical pony if we are to survive. Amen!*

*Note: the post above is 99% satirical, 1% mod worship in the same way people worship elder gods. it is not meant to be offensive to any Christians or born-again Christians or anyone else. I know you know where I live. please don't hurt me.

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
The_Oracle said:
I can tell that you were being satirical. No need for alarm :D

And I agree, though the spacing of the quantity of posts is off. Needs more Matrix... and the Oracle WAS one of the most powerful beings in the whole thing, no? Here's how it should work:

100:Trinity
1000:Ghost, Naomi, SOMEBODY ELSE
3000:Smith
5000:Morpheus
7000:Neo
8500:Oracle
10,000:Architect

I put the Architect at 10,000 because as a old guy, he represents seniority.

But we should stop clogging up this thread with our silly litte fantasy badge lineups :D

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
scotth266 said:
The_Oracle said:
I can tell that you were being satirical. No need for alarm :D

And I agree, though the spacing of the quantity of posts is off. Needs more Matrix... and the Oracle WAS one of the most powerful beings in the whole thing, no? Here's how it should work:

100:Trinity
1000:Ghost, Naomi, SOMEBODY ELSE
3000:Smith
5000:Morpheus
7000:Neo
8500:Oracle
10,000:Architect

I put the Architect at 10,000 because as a old guy, he represents seniority.

But we should stop clogging up this thread with our silly litte fantasy badge lineups :D
The Oracle was the motherfrakkin' Chessmaster. She created the entire process responsible for Neo being the One and engineered the events of all three movies, including her Smithassimilation. And she got better! She's awesome. She's my role model.

But yeah, let's take this shindig to the Badge thread. Away we go!

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
A well structured, informative thread.
However, am I understanding correctly that once you have received moderator beatings in say your first 200 posts, it then becomes impossible for you to get the Morpheus badge even if you don't get a beating from the mods when you are past 1200 posts?

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
The_Oracle said:
scotth266 said:
The_Oracle said:

Know what I think? The Neo badge should totally be 3000, and there should be a Smith badge for 4000, and an Oracle/Architect badge for 5000. That's just me as a Matrix fanboy though. I would KILL for an Oracle/Architect badge. I really would.

That said, as long as you follow all the rules, and be courteous and kind, I believe you'll be saved from the wrath of the Banhammer. Folks, we must follow the teachings of the lord Jeebus Susan who did come down from the heavens on her mystical pony if we are to survive. Amen!*

*Note: the post above is 99% satirical, 1% mod worship in the same way people worship elder gods. it is not meant to be offensive to any Christians or born-again Christians or anyone else. I know you know where I live. please don't hurt me.
I agree with Scott with regard to this, as the reason why it's such an awesome badge is that it's nigh impossible to get. And anyway, who wouldn't want to proudly flash your One-ness with the forums?

But I believe that an answer to this problem would be to have a counter that went up for every post you made, then reset if you ever suffered any mod wrath. That way it's still possible to get, but still hard as ever.
Godofgame67 said:
Simalacrum said:

oh by the way, one thing i've noticed is that people who put the first posts on Yahtzee's video - related threads (the official "thread to go with the video" stuff) tend to be on probabtion or suspended... yet when I check why they've been put on probabtion/suspension (maybe even ban?), a lot of the time the posts are completely innocent... they just happen to be some of the first posts on a yahtzee-video thread.

Check the post times and compare them with the time the video was put up. If the video was put up at 10:00 and the post is at 10:02 they watched a 5 minute video in two minutes. That can't be done so they posted before watching the video witch is not allowed. I asked the same question a few months back.
I forgot about that; I'll add something on it later this afternoon.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
new_age_reject said:
However, am I understanding correctly that once you have received moderator beatings in say your first 200 posts, it then becomes impossible for you to get the Morpheus badge even if you don't get a beating from the mods when you are past 1200 posts?
This is true. It's assumed knowledge that you read the guidelines before you post (which is, sadly, mostly untrue), so any moderator wrath you receive in your first couple of posts (you should get a mod warning first though) will prevent you from getting any of the aforementioned badges.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Godofgame67 said:
Simalacrum said:

aaaah ok thats fair enough yah.
thankies ^^

new_age_reject

Dec 28, 2008
Lord Krunk said:
new_age_reject said:
This is true. It's assumed knowledge that you read the guidelines before you post (which is, sadly, mostly untrue), so any moderator wrath you receive in your first couple of posts (you should get a mod warning first though) will prevent you from getting any of the aforementioned badges.
OK that's fair enough.
I was hoping there are second chances but ah well, 'tis just a badge :p

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
RiftRift said:
Eggo much? That joke's been done once allready, and it made him draw the final line towards perma-ban. Please don't try to be funny like that.

new_age_reject said:
OK that's fair enough.
Seriously? That's the requirements? Never ever have one mod wraith, even though it's your second post? Damn ... I better follow Kukuls example .. Never post while having consumed alchoholic beverages .. Wich means I can't post any more today -.-

Anarchemitis

Dec 23, 2007
Well put.
I wonder how different the Escapist society would be if we went back to the olden days of punishment, the one-size fits all:
"User was banned 7 Days for This Post"
-and then a mod-added reason why in Bold.

Insuch, users should be gracious for the numerous warnings they have now.

new_age_reject

Dec 28, 2008
Daye.04 said:
RiftRift said:
Eggo much? That joke's been done once allready, and it made him draw the final line towards perma-ban. Please don't try to be funny like that.

new_age_reject said:
OK that's fair enough.
Seriously? That's the requirements? Never ever have one mod wraith, even though it's your second post? Damn ... I better follow Kukuls example .. Never post while having consumed alchoholic beverages .. Wich means I can't post any more today -.-
Haha, I was having an 'off day' and I said something really stupid so fair dos lol.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
How about "Trolling for Bans", what you get for even joking about BanHammer strikes? I got that one...

Daye.04

Proud Escaperino
Feb 9, 2009
new_age-Reject said:
Haha, I was having an 'off day' and I said something really stupid so fair dos lol.
Not .. Supposed .. To .. Post while influe.. Ah, what the hell. I probably won't get moderator wraith for this anyway.

How .. Off day? Like pissed, or not so natural feelings?
How really stupid? Like not very clever to say, or really stupid?
Come on, you'll be helpoing out fellow Escapists to know what side alleys not to enter in favor of Neo!

scotth266

Jan 10, 2009
harhol said:
I hadn't been on the forums for a few months and I came back recently to find Eggo permabanned for posting "lol what".

Seems a little harsh to me. He was a great (long-term) poster. But then I don't make the rules.

I guess this place is ever more strict than it was before...
As I recall, that was the straw that broke the camel's back. He'd apparently been acting very silly: that was just the post where the mods got fed up with him. The same thing happened to Richard Groovy Pants: he got banned on a post that didn't quite make sense, but the mod in that case left a comment explaining that Richard had been making several people more than uncomfortable with certain comments. It wasn't that post in particular that got him banned, but rather other actions on the forum.

I don't know what happened myself in Eggo's case: that's just what I had heard.