The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
ravens_nest said:
Just to point out that your banned post example, the infamous 'Eggo's Lol What?' post was one that had many people asking what he was banned for.

After all, it certainly isn't obvious. Maybe putting a more definitive example would make it clearer to the readers of this most excellent thread?
I'll seriously consider it; I was hoping people would categorise his post under 'Tier 1 Repeat Offenses', but it seems a few didn't.

Ajna

Doublethinker
Mar 19, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
[li]Repeat Threads: I?m sure that many users (particularly the newer ones) are sick of the term ?use the Search Button? being flung around on their new thread. Well, there?s a good reason for that: your thread isn?t the first of its kind, and it certainly won?t be the last. On these forums, it is unspoken law that Thread Necroing > Repeat Threads, but many new users don?t know that and put up whatever was in the back of their heads. Some repeat threads do get past the bar, however, but my advice would still be to search for a thread resembling your idea first (between you and me, use Google; the Escapist?s search feature is renowned for not being as great as it should be).[/li]
Actually... I was curious about that point myself, a while back, and made a poll regarding it. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.110411] The consensus was that people would prefer to see a repeat thread rather than a 3-4 month old one be resurrected. Naturally, different people had different lines (I don't recall anyone saying less than a month before they'd prefer a repeat), but for the most part, that statement is incorrect.

Though, the poll was relatively close, to be sure. I can't blame you for saying that. Just a touch of factual inaccuracy... ;)

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
Ahh, that was very nice to read, very good Krunk.
I tend to stick to the rule of "Don't piss of the moderators." Believe it or not but I was a troll on a different site, but then I saw the light.
It's never fun seeing people getting banned, suspended, or put on probation. But if they break the rules the mods stick to their guns and take them down, and I respect that.
Well that was my 2 cents on that subject.
Cheers!

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Kuliani said:
Note that the Probation color has changed. :)
I was suprised when this happened. (Yes, it was a slow day)

It just seems a bit pointless to me, any reason why it was changed?

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
Lord Krunk said:
(between you and me, use Google; the Escapist's search feature is renowned for not being as great as it should be).

needs an update here. they changed it (finally), it is now a damned good search function. hooray!!! :)

I'll give it a good look when I get the chance.
Kuliani said:
Thanks for the info, the OP has been updated to suit this.

I would have preferred differing colours between the Suspension and Ban notices, but that's just me.
GodsOneMistake said:
Very helpful but wait does that mean i wont get the Morphius badge :'(
If you got on probation/suspended before your 1000th post, then you will not be able to receive either Morpheus or Neo.​

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Sparrow Tag said:
Kuliani said:

wasn't the probation colour the same as the Admin official web uniform?

megapenguinx

Jan 8, 2009
Thank you for explaining the tiers. I often wondered what would constitute a probation/ suspension thread.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
You know I take issue with one thing in your OP. You state that the Neo badge is incredibly hard to get. Really the badge isn't hard to get unless you don't think about what you are about to post, that's what I go by.
If you ever question yourself on "Will I get in trouble for this" then don't post the post. Revise, recheck, get a badge.

[small]Wouldn't it be hilarious if I got put on probation, suspension, or got banned for this?[/small]

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
Sparrow Tag said:
Kuliani said:

Because the yellow was the same color yellow as the mods/staff names. (didn't want anyone to confuse the two accidentally)

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
seamusotorain said:
Is it possible to be banned for flagrant misuse of the "REPORT" button?
No. Maybe a probation if they are just trying to report everyone on every post on every page, but definitely not a ban. Please, report anything and everything you feel that could be seen as inappropriate or just plain "wrong".

seamusotorain

Dec 14, 2008
Kuliani said:
No. Maybe a probation if they are just trying to report everyone on every post on every page, but definitely not a ban. Please, report anything and everything you feel that could be seen as inappropriate or just plain "wrong".
T'was just a thought. After all, you can report posts even if you're not signed into your account.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
Just a thought, but the mods seem to be rather strict about sexist comments. I have my ideas about who specifically, but just putting it out there, watch out for those kitchen jokes and the like.