The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
odubya23 said:
galletea said:
Just a thought, but the mods seem to be rather strict about sexist comments. I have my ideas about who specifically, but just putting it out there, watch out for those kitchen jokes and the like.
Are you refering to jokes that start like: "What do you do if your dishwasher breaks?"
Kinda, but mere references to these sorts of chauvinistic ideas seems to be enough to get you in trouble. Judging by what I've seen, if there's a thread on sexism, avoid making any jokes. They might make me laugh, but they don't amuse everyone.

zebrin

Nov 16, 2008
This was quite helpful, Useful as well. I have read the board rules(Actually the first thing I do when I join a board) and they leave a lot of room for interpretation. Leeway is a good thing to have in a system of rules, but sometimes make good members of the board leery of sharing their opinion on various topics. Anyways, thanks for making such a good topic.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
galletea said:
Just a thought, but the mods seem to be rather strict about sexist comments. I have my ideas about who specifically, but just putting it out there, watch out for those kitchen jokes and the like.
Oh, I was about to say this. This is a VERY scrict website with accordance to this, so new users be warned: if you take one step out of line in this department, you will recieve punishment. I mean, I just walked into a thread not five minutes ago with "Are men better than women" as the header. It was actually a rather interesting thread, or at least the OP seemed to be trying to make it interesting...

What resulted was utter madness and chaos. There were kitchen jokes aplenty, and after about 30 posts Nicypher swooped in, eyes gleaming like some sort of vampire from the pits of Hades, and slaughtered the majority of them. They deserved it, of course.

So I would like to ask you Lord Krunk, please make a section with regards to the Escapist's no-tolerance policy with regards to derogatory comments with regards to women. Some people mean what they type in good humor: it's just not meant for these forums.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Lord Krunk said:

Real Ultimate Poster: Known to many as 'Neo' for obvious reasons, this badge requires that you must make 5000 posts without incurring moderator wrath. This badge will only be available to you 6 months after you join; it is an absurdly hard badge to get, and only 3 people on The Escapist have acquired it to my knowledge.
I will get the preccccious one day. One day...

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
scotth266 said:
So I would like to ask you Lord Krunk, please make a section with regards to the Escapist's no-tolerance policy with regards to derogatory comments with regards to women. Some people mean what they type in good humor: it's just not meant for these forums.
What we don't tolerate is a bunch of anonymous 13 year old boys banding together in group misogyny and scaring all the women off the site. Every time a woman stands up to a group of guys acting like jerks on the internet she gets trivialized with more jokes and insults.If we allowed racial jokes the same would happen to other minorities as well. This is why the moderators take action against certain individuals that push the line of good taste. While we don't go out of our way to smack these people, we do want to discourage people from thinking that this is the place they can build a tree-house and post a "no gurlz allowed" sign out front.

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
wilsonscrazybed said:
What we don't tolerate is a bunch of anonymous 13 year old boys banding together in group misogyny and scaring all the women off the site. Every time a woman stands up to a group of guys acting like jerks on the internet she gets trivialized with more jokes and insults.If we allowed racial jokes the same would happen to other minorities as well. This is why the moderators take action against certain individuals that push the line of good taste. While we don't go out of our way to smack these people, we do want to discourage people from thinking that this is the place they can build a tree-house and post a "no gurlz allowed" sign out front.
Ahhh, but the Female Internet User is such an insidious creature. She can worm her way past any "no gurlz" sign, even climb up the masculine ladder to the most holy of Male Temples: The Treehouse. Fear her, for she will bring retribution.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
new_age_reject said:
A well structured, informative thread.
However, am I understanding correctly that once you have received moderator beatings in say your first 200 posts, it then becomes impossible for you to get the Morpheus badge even if you don't get a beating from the mods when you are past 1200 posts?
I suddenly understand why Krunk gave the "Real Ultimate Poster" badge the "nearly impossible" label and I now have profound new respect for my favorite badge.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
new_age_reject said:
A well structured, informative thread.
However, am I understanding correctly that once you have received moderator beatings in say your first 200 posts, it then becomes impossible for you to get the Morpheus badge even if you don't get a beating from the mods when you are past 1200 posts?
I suddenly understand why Krunk gave the "Real Ultimate Poster" badge the "nearly impossible" label and I now have profound new respect for my favorite badge.
Mad props for getting it man!
Seriously, how have you not been a dick for that long!? :p

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
new_age_reject said:
I really didn't know it was that hard to not be a dick...

I just try to talk to people on "teh intarwebs" like I'd talk to them in real life.

EDIT: Once I hit 4000+ posts however I started being extra careful with what I said since... you know, no reason to mess things up when I was so close.

new_age_reject

Lives in dactylic hexameter.
Dec 28, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
new_age_reject said:

I just try to talk to people on "teh intarwebs" like I'd talk to them in real life.

EDIT: Once I hit 4000+ posts however I started being extra careful with what I said since... you know, no reason to mess things up when I was so close.
Haha yeah definitely, well grats anyway :p

Crazy Elf

Aug 25, 2008
Um, when a thread gets locked down, could the creator get a message relating to that fact, and, you know, a reason?

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Labyrinth said:
Christ man, you should include a bit on Twilight hate threads.
Seconded. I don't care for Twilight (not part of the target audience) but good lord, there have been like 6000 of them in the last month. And that's a LOW estimate.

H.R.Shovenstuff said:
Encouraging them.
No, it's not encouraging anything. It's just offering a friendly warning. If they don't listen, it's their fault.

Spartan Bannana

Apr 27, 2008
new_age_reject said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
new_age_reject said:

Haha yeah definitely, well grats anyway :p
I got banned on my second day here, so I am eligible for almost none of those badges...I hate my life.

I'm amazed it took me this long to notice this thread, I who so advocate the method of tying down new users and forcing them to read the guidelines on threat of lacerated genitalia.

Bravo, Krunk, bravo.

4fromK

Apr 15, 2009
sorry, just a question about the badges. for example, with the trinity one, when it says "but the badge may only be granted 2 weeks after you join" does that mean you can't get it before two weeks or that after two weeks its no longer available????

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
4fromK said:
sorry, just a question about the badges. for example, with the trinity one, when it says "but the badge may only be granted 2 weeks after you join" does that mean you can't get it before two weeks or that after two weeks its no longer available????
The former. You can get the badge any time after the two weeks since you joined (so long as you don't get banned in that time).

4fromK

Apr 15, 2009
uh ok another question: What the hell is this? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.114283#2083372
there are people on this thread getting put on probation for comments like "Great review as always" and "Never really liked to look of Velvet Assassain anyway, Yahtzee is as funny as ever, no matter what the game!"
Whats with the banhammer getting trotted out for (as far as I can tell) completely innocent posts? I couldn't see the difference between banned posts and thos that went unbanned. so what the fuck is up with this? modnazi much?