The Banhammer and You: A User's Guide to the Forums

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
4fromK said:
uh ok another question: What the hell is this? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.114283#2083372
there are people on this thread getting put on probation for comments like "Great review as always" and "Never really liked to look of Velvet Assassain anyway, Yahtzee is as funny as ever, no matter what the game!"
Whats with the banhammer getting trotted out for (as far as I can tell) completely innocent posts? I couldn't see the difference between banned posts and thos that went unbanned. so what the fuck is up with this? modnazi much?
That was answered in the OP...

(Hint: look at the time stamps).

Edit: upon rereading the OP, I've noticed that it's not made explicit. They're basically posting that they loved the video before they could have watched the video, hence it's a version of people typing "F1RST!!!!11!" etc. That's frowned upon at the The Escapist, hence they get suspended / banned.

H.R.Shovenstuff

Sep 19, 2008
scotth266 said:
Labyrinth said:
Christ man, you should include a bit on Twilight hate threads.
Seconded. I don't care for Twilight (not part of the target audience) but good lord, there have been like 6000 of them in the last month. And that's a LOW estimate.

H.R.Shovenstuff said:
Encouraging them.
No, it's not encouraging anything. It's just offering a friendly warning. If they don't listen, it's their fault.
I was joking, I meant you should encourage the Hate threads. As a joke.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
Thankyou for this. Me, being a repressed psychotic who, on the last forum site he went to, went on a total crazy killing spree writing absurdly insulting messages on the walls for no apparent reason, am going to try and aim for the Neo(fat chance). Two questions: If I get in trouble AFTER getting the badges, will I still have them, and also, is it not allowed to post personal content (e.g. short stories, etc.) get you in trouble? thnx!

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
FROGGEman2 said:
Two questions: If I get in trouble AFTER getting the badges, will I still have them, and also, is it not allowed to post personal content (e.g. short stories, etc.) get you in trouble? thnx!
If you get a suspension/probation/ban after getting the badges, you do not lose them. However, it prevents you from getting the next one up.

As for personal content, it really depends on what you're planning on posting. Off-topic does enjoy a good rant, User Reviews is specifically made for you to post your reviews, so you should be fine. So long as you don't advertise your website.

4fromK

Apr 15, 2009
Lukeje said:
4fromK said:
uh ok another question: What the hell is this? http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/6.114283#2083372
there are people on this thread getting put on probation for comments like "Great review as always" and "Never really liked to look of Velvet Assassain anyway, Yahtzee is as funny as ever, no matter what the game!"
Whats with the banhammer getting trotted out for (as far as I can tell) completely innocent posts? I couldn't see the difference between banned posts and thos that went unbanned. so what the fuck is up with this? modnazi much?
That was answered in the OP...

(Hint: look at the time stamps).

Edit: upon rereading the OP, I've noticed that it's not made explicit. They're basically posting that they loved the video before they could have watched the video, hence it's a version of people typing "F1RST!!!!11!" etc. That's frowned upon at the The Escapist, hence they get suspended / banned.
okyeah that makes alot of sense. i just looked at the video and tripped the fuck out. i guess thats why comments that specifically quote from the vid arent banned.

Kuliani

BEACUASE
Dec 14, 2004
The official forum posting guidelines thread has been replaced by a new, shiny version.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.116826

(I already edited the link in this main thread for you, Krunk) :)

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Kuliani said:
The official forum posting guidelines thread has been replaced by a new, shiny version.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.116826

(I already edited the link in this main thread for you, Krunk) :)
Thank you very much Kuliani, I was actually wondering why my sticky became unstuck.

I like your new guidelines thread, and how you used the badges in context. Very amusing.

Annwyn

Jun 4, 2009
Well, after that read, I'm now carefully stowing all my troll-feed and flamethrowers. Carefully, because the feed smells toxic and the flamethrower tank is leaking.

I did find this thread helpful in the way that resembled something along the lines of, "Mods that actually do their job?! No way!" Thus is my experience of gamer forums, at least.

I'll do my best to skirt lightly around mod-related encounters of the negative nature. Something tells me it would be in my own best interest.

Sorry... I'm getting distracted with how this little type window gets bigger when I start filling it up... Oh. Now its stopped.

Anyway.

No. That's it. Thanks for packaging the rules in this neat little box with nice shiney wrapping paper so that it would attract the attention of easily-distracted, hyperactive midgets like me. Let's see if I can put it to good use, now...

Russian_Assassin

Apr 24, 2008
Nice

[small]User was banned for this post.[/small]

What? I haven't even said anything!

[small]User's house was set on fire for this post.[/small]

Anyways, kudos for the thread, I found it very useful. I aspire to earn the Neo badge one day...

[small]User was banned for this post.[/small]

Jun 8, 2009
So, the badges that take several months can only be received after those several months from when you join? Or is it before those months are up?

And the guide was really helpful.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
cantthinkofausername said:
So, the badges that take several months can only be received after those several months from when you join? Or is it before those months are up?
The former, you can only receive the badge after the minimum time on the badge. For example, if you get 100 posts before your first fortnight (without moderator wrath) on the site, you will only receive the badge after those 2 weeks have passed.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
p.s. removing the possibility removes all hope after the first wrath, thus removing incentive to stop repeat offenses, the mods may need to take this into account.
Which is half the reason everyone believed that it was just a 'Get Banned, Start Again' type of deal. While I too think that that is the better option, the staff did clarify that there are no second chances.

Tech Team FTW!

Apr 1, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
p.s. removing the possibility removes all hope after the first wrath, thus removing incentive to stop repeat offenses, the mods may need to take this into account.
Which is half the reason everyone believed that it was just a 'Get Banned, Start Again' type of deal. While I too think that that is the better option, the staff did clarify that there are no second chances.
Not true.
In some cases, usually months after any offences, a mod may take the liberty of removing all mod wrath from a user's history. Success depends on which moderator is asked and how nicely the user asks.