The Banner Saga Could Come to Consoles, PS Vita

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Banner Saga Could Come to Consoles, PS Vita

Stoic's John Watson says that Stoic Games is interested in porting The Banner Saga to consoles but might be limited by the team's small size.

Stoic's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/editorials/reviews/10910-The-Banner-Saga-Review-The-Gods-are-Dead>The Banner Saga was easily one of the more notable role-playing games to release earlier this year. Just recently, its developers at Stoic Games have recently revealed that the game will be receiving new iPad and Android releases sometime this summer. It now seems, however, that the tablet versions won't be the only new editions of the game Stoic has in the works. Speaking in <a href=http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a580573/the-banner-saga-coming-to-ipad-and-android-this-summer-consoles-planned.html#~oID2JPuMr6xeLD>a recent interview, Stoic programmer John Watson has claimed that the company's future plans could include news versions of the game for consoles and portables.

"The ideal would be to get some console ports out before the end of the year," said Watson. He would go on to say that "the game would be great on Vita" but affirmed that a version for Sony's handheld would likely come after the game had been ported to "other" consoles. "I'd much rather see it on PlayStation 4 first, then work on the Vita," said Watson. "The Vita might need some changes to take advantage of the fact that it's both control and touch at the same time."

Even with that desire firmly in place however, Watson admitted that the small size of Stoic's team could be limit its ability to make such ports a reality. "It's a path of least resistance thing," he said. "There's three of us." Whether the team winds up actually following through on its console ambitions, you'd probably be hard pressed to find many RPG fans who'd be upset over the prospect of the game spreading to wider audiences and, presumably, greater success. Just personally, while I loved the PC game, I will admit that the very idea of being able to play the game on my Vita has me very much excited. What do you think? Would console and portable ports be a good move for Stoic, or should the developer perhaps focus its efforts on other endeavors, such as making its second episode?

Source: <a href=http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a580573/the-banner-saga-coming-to-ipad-and-android-this-summer-consoles-planned.html#~oID2JPuMr6xeLD>Digital Spy

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Oh, man, that would be amazing- perfect game for a handheld port.

That said- "The Vita might need some changes to take advantage of the fact that it's both control and touch at the same time"- worries me.

Does Sony actually require developers to integrate the touch mechanics?
Because if it can work on a PS4, it can probably work on a Vita without requiring touch, even if it took a bit of finagling. And we'd all be better off for it.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
joshuaayt said:
Oh, man, that would be amazing- perfect game for a handheld port.

That said- "The Vita might need some changes to take advantage of the fact that it's both control and touch at the same time"- worries me.

Does Sony actually require developers to integrate the touch mechanics?
Because if it can work on a PS4, it can probably work on a Vita without requiring touch, even if it took a bit of finagling. And we'd all be better off for it.
I second that being awesome.

This game can easily be played in short bursts and on long hauls.

Vis a vis the touchpad, I think it's because they don't want to make the battles thumbstick-driven; it would make them way to slow, and it'd be easier to make mistakes. This would be a good decision, but like the article says, Stoic is a very small team.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I'm more interested in knowing when we get the second one. I know it come only came out this year but i really liked it.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Glad to hear it. Don't much care for exclusives, even if they are for my platform of choice.

In general, I'm glad Banner Saga exists. I didn't like the game myself (some of the mechanics were annoying, the narrative was waaaay to slow and boring), but I understand why many people love it and I respect it for trying something new, or at least not overdone.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Sounds really good to me! Always wanted to try it out and heard plenty of good things about it. Don't know if I would enjoy it better on a Vita compared to the PS4, but I've been surprised before! A shame about them being such a small team, but I'll take what I can get, if and when they can port it.