The Beatles: Rock Band Gets More Guitars

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
The Beatles: Rock Band Gets More Guitars

The price of the ultimate in Beatles virtual band role-playing has just increased even more with the announcement of two Rock Band guitars based on John Lennon and George Harrison's instruments.

As the dream of being able to pretend you're The Beatles gets more and more real, it gets also more and more expensive. Nevermind the cost of matching outfits, new haircuts and whatever it'll cost to hire a gaggle of teenage girls to scream their heads off wherever you go - these two new Beatles Rock Band guitars are expensive enough.

Designed as replicas of John Lennon's Rickenbacker 325 and George Harrison's Gretsch Duo Jet, the guitars will run you $99 each and be released alongside the game on September 9, 2009 (also the release date of The Beatles remastered catalog and the Dreamcast 2). A hundred smackeroos is a hefty price, no doubt, but the guitars do look mighty fine and are clearly designed with the connoisseur in mind.

It's really when you consider the entire package that your wallet will start to wince. See, if you want the total Beatles: Rock Band experience, you'll need Paul McCartney's bass and Ringo Starr's drums, too, which are only included in the Limited Edition bundle [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91016-The-Beatles-Rock-Band-Bundle-Revealed] of the game, which will cost $250.

So, all in all that's $450 for the ultimate in The Beatles role-playing fantasy. Are you a bad enough Beatlemaniac to shell out that much dough?

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
No, I'm definitely NOT going to spend that much money on fake instruments.

September 9, 2009 (also the release date of The Beatles remastered catalog and the Dreamcast 2)
If only...

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Hmmm...I think the dudes that make Rock Band, completly missed the point of The Beatles songs.

Can't wait to play All you need is Love on a $450 set...

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
Maybe if I loved the game like some people then I would.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I hear the Deamcast 2 is controlled by your mind and powered by Sonic the Hedgehog related disappointment.

Epifols

Aug 30, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Hmmm...I think the dudes that make Rock Band, completly missed the point of The Beatles songs.

Can't wait to play All you need is Love on a $450 set...
That made me lol. Good point!

I'm a fan of all their work, but I think I will be content with just playing the music without all the extra stuff.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Keane Ng said:
A hundred smackeroos is a hefty price, no doubt, but the guitars do look mighty fine and are clearly designed with the connoisseur in mind.
It's actually not that bad. The Rock Band 2 wireless guitar is normally around $70 (if you can find it anywhere), and from the pictures these look far more detailed. I have to wonder if the bass replica included in the full Beatles set is wired or wireless though.

Indigo_Dingo said:
Barely. I still have yet to pick it up though, cause I'm not sure which has the better quality instruments (I'm importing Rock Band 2, so I only need the instruments)
Rock Band 2 has, by far, the better instruments. There's no comparison, especially with the drums.

zombiechef

Apr 22, 2009
It seems far from worth it unless your a hardcore beatles fan or some kind of rock band/guitar hero guitar enthusist who plans to sell them later on.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Indigo_Dingo said:
Rock Band 2 isn't available. My choices are Rock Band and Guitar Hero World Tour.
That's a tougher call then. In general, the World Tour set is going to be of slightly better quality. The guitars and microphones are easily interchangeable, but the drum sets between the two are different enough that playing with the 'wrong' one is going to be somewhat detrimental to the game.

The RB and RB2 drums have four pads, and a bass pedal. The GH drums have three pads, two cymbals, and a bass pedal. To compensate, if you're using the GH drums on Rock Band, you play with the three drums and one cymbal. In Guitar Hero, with the RB drums, the game has an adjusted note chart that only has four tracks.

I'd suggest going with the set from the series that you think you'll end up playing more.

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
You could buy a decent Gretsch Duo Jet copy for real for $450.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
BonsaiK said:
You could buy a decent Gretsch Duo Jet copy for real for $450.
You could buy two decent guitars for $450. And drums. And bass guitar.

Huey1000

Oct 14, 2008
Thought I could get a discount if I go to Liverpool and buy one there, but that alone would be much more of a realistic "Beatles experience" than playing Rock Band 2.

thenumberthirteen said:
I hear the Deamcast 2 is controlled by your mind and powered by Sonic the Hedgehog related disappointment.
What do you mean by that? I've always loved Sonic, I just wish I could hunt down the recent makers and force them to make a better Sonic at gunpoint. I mean come on! I bet Mario and the Master Chief will never have to worry about their names being slandered like that.