The best 40k trailer you will see all year.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
It's not often that you will see something different come out of the grimdarkness of the future, but this new space hulk game at least has a trailer that has a style I have never seen associated with 40k before.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
That certainly is interesting but I wish that these guys would show us some raw gameplay already

RagingTiger

Sep 23, 2014
They did a good job of making the genestealers look creepy which is a necessity if you want them in a FPS setting, but I too would like to see a gameplay trailer, it's been a year and a bit since the teaser.

CommanderZx2

Dec 13, 2014
The music really doesn't feel like it has got anything to do with what's happening in the scene. Also overall the trailer is really overproduced with excessive use of slowmo of uninteresting things. The previous trailer was so much better:

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Oh God damn it, Dark Angels?! Really?! And Deathwing at that?!

Emperor preserve me, even the guys who work at my local GW admit no one likes/plays Dark Angels and that if any Chapter is going to be ropped into the generic Marine codex like the Templar were, its gonna be Dark Angels.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
I'm not going to lie, that the worst 40k trailer I've seen, not just this year, but in my entire life.

Since when did Deathwing recruit Mexican Marines? Even in one or more of that Deathwing squad was Terran (instead of Calibanian) and from the Merica or Hy Brasil region, the 38,000 year out of date music is still inappropriate and out of place.

That tune was petty bad anyway and not to my taste, but if that's honestly a piece that the developers though was appropriate for the game and setting, then I don't have high hopes for the game and it makes me even more sad about what has happened to the franchise since the fall of THQ and when the franchise was taken out of Relic's capable hands and seemingly given to any developer with a smartphone development kit and the desire to make a quick buck using existing assets and IP.

Who knows, I could be wrong and the game could be OK, but I don't know anything about the game and that particular trailer hasn't told me anything except for the basic premise and the fact that the developer has a bad taste in music and a poor approach to sound design and audio-visual timing in general.

Maybe the next trailer will be better... maybe they'll showcase the close combat capabilities of Terminators and use that "When the bodies hit the floor" song.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Mariachi Terminators doing a last stand western in a Space Hulk.
It would be glorious if the game had a feature where you could have Sergio Leone-style stare downs between Genestealers and Terminators.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Oh my god the music is so out of place, even the heretics want to harakiri their guts.
Let see, a song I would choose.....this one is fine I think:

The lyrics speak for themselfs.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
That music was real bad and the Genestealers looked like rubber dolls, but I'll never say no to some 40k carnage.
Wouldn't rate it very high among 40k game trailers however.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Chimpzy said:
Soviet Heavy said:
It would be glorious if the game had a feature where you could have Sergio Leone-style stare downs between Genestealers and Terminators.
Or Sergio Leone being a Secret Boss.
Btw, who is Sergio Leone?

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Allow me to shed one grimdark tear for all those who think 40k can only have orchestral music.

Also, you should read this since you take 40k too seriously.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
SweetShark said:
Chimpzy said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Sergio Leone was an Italian film director most famous for his work in the spaghetti western genre, which revitalized interest in the western and kickstarted Clint Eastwood's career. Some of his more notable movies are "A Fistful Of Dollars", "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" and "Once Upon A Time In The West". He was also known for working with film composer Ennio Morricone, who composed soundtracks for several of his movies. The style, look and sound of the westerns they created together spawned pretty much half the tropes associated with the genre.

As for the stare down part ...

DJjaffacake

Jan 7, 2012
I actually really like the music, and even if I didn't, it would still be nice just for the sake of having something other than orchestral music or dubstep (not that there's anything inherently wrong with them, just that they're overused). It wasn't really a very accurate depiction of Space Hulk though, it's quite a slow paced game. Though I do like that my favourite Spess Mehreen chapter is getting some love in video gaming.

Jamash said:
Even in one or more of that Deathwing squad was Terran (instead of Calibanian) and from the Merica or Hy Brasil region
I'm pretty certain that precisely 0 Dark Angels in M41 are from Caliban, since it blew up 10,000 years previously and all.

SweetShark

Jan 9, 2012
Chimpzy said:
SweetShark said:
Chimpzy said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Sergio Leone was an Italian film director most famous for his work in the spaghetti western genre, which revitalized interest in the western and kickstarted Clint Eastwood's career. Some of his more notable movies are "A Fistful Of Dollars", "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" and "Once Upon A Time In The West". He was also known for working with film composer Ennio Morricone, who composed soundtracks for several of his movies. The style, look and sound of the westerns they created together spawned pretty much half the tropes associated with the genre.

As for the stare down part ...
Oh yeah, I see. I should had known.
Of course I was so lazy to Google the name and I am ashamed for this, so thank you.

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
Welp, looks interesting, though I also feel the music is a little out of place for the setting. While I don't feel 40k always needs to be taken seriously (I was an ork player who made a rock band riding a "boombox" wagon) it still felt a little off.

Anyway, still waiting to see some actual gameplay before I make any long term judgement, but what I really want to see is a game where I can play as an imperial guardsman. All the best black library books, imo, follow the guard rather than the space marines anyway, so let me play as one of them dammit, even if I have to die every time I take a wrong turn.

Neverhoodian

Apr 2, 2008

Well, that was certainly a...different choice of music. It didn't really work, but at least they tried something new

In any case, I'm going to reserve judgement on the game until I see some actual gameplay footage.

Worgen said:
Allow me to shed one grimdark tear for all those who think 40k can only have orchestral music.

Naw, it doesn't always need an orchestral score, but it should ideally try to convey the setting. Rob Zombie works exceedingly well:

Also, take this. You'll need it.[footnote]*Brohoof*[/footnote]

Silentpony said:

Emperor preserve me, even the guys who work at my local GW admit no one likes/plays Dark Angels and that if any Chapter is going to be ropped into the generic Marine codex like the Templar were, its gonna be Dark Angels.
Could be worse. I'm just glad it's not the Mary Sue Marines Ultrasmurfs for the upteenth time.

Worgen

Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Neverhoodian said:

Well, that was certainly a...different choice of music. It didn't really work, but at least they tried something new

In any case, I'm going to reserve judgement on the game until I see some actual gameplay footage.

Worgen said:

Naw, it doesn't always need an orchestral score, but it should ideally try to convey the setting. Rob Zombie works exceedingly well:

Also, take this. You'll need it.[footnote]*Brohoof*[/footnote]

Silentpony said:

Could be worse. I'm just glad it's not the Mary Sue Marines Ultrasmurfs for the upteenth time.

Ugh, while a bit fitting there is still no sense of style too it.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
The music was nice, but I swear to fucking god I will die a happy man the day that companies realize that cinematic trailers for games are absolutely stupid when no one gives a shit what the story of your game is. Show me gameplay or get back to developing because it's a waste of everyone's time.

lionsprey

Sep 20, 2010
i read some of the comments before watching the video and i thought "how could you fuck up music for a 40K trailer?"
after watching the trailer i concluded THATS how you fuck up music for a 40k trailer. but still as others have said the trailer tells us nothing about the game. hell it didn't even feature the familiar cramped corridors of space hulk.