Mar 29, 2009
Let's see:
Toy Story
Monsters Inc.
Lion King
The Iron Giant
Up

Yeah, pretty much them.

EDIT: Also, The Incredibles because it is awesome!

satanslawer123

Aug 6, 2009
Cpt_Oblivious said:
You forgot Toy Story and The Lion King. Shame on you.
I'd also say that Howl's Moving Castle was better than Castle in the Sky. Just my thoughts on the matter though.

Anyway, my list would be:

• Toy Story
    The Lion King
    Howl's Moving Castle
    The Nightmare Before Christmas

And something else...

Edit: Grave of the Fireflies
yep all pretty good and corpse bride was good

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
Arqus_Zed said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Arqus_Zed said:
- Fritz The Cat.
I just looked the trailer up on Youtube... Couldn't stand it when it got to the cat undressing a girl cat in a bath tub and I was like "What the hell? Nudity?!". That was just something I did not wanna see...

OT:

Up: A master piece of a Plot you think wouldn't work, with Actors that haven't been popular for a while, and a message so torn and out of shape it's become boring. All fixed up that it just brings tears to your eyes when you watch it. I highly recommend this film.
Yeah, well, that's pretty much what Fritz The Cat is all about: sex, drugs and rock 'n roll of the 60's. Sure as hell left a lasting impression on me - since it's an independent film, it gives a very unbiased image of the situation in that day and age. It liked it: original, bold, funny and crappy - but in an enjoyable way. A one of a kind that changed the way I looked at animation.

Of course, if you're offended by a set of badly drawn anthropomorphic feline mammeries... Then I suppose you'll have to get rid of the Victorian mindset first :)

And I really liked Up, but the movie's only a year old. I rather let a minimum of 3 years pass to see if it really had a lasting impression.

(that, and I don't like to include Pixar films in these lists. They are simply so unique and massive, that they are pretty much a genre on their own. It's like:

- "You want to watch an live-action or an animation movie?"

= "Bah, neither, i'd rather go watch a Pixar."

They're hard to compare with other films - not because they're 'sooo much better that all the rest', but more because they're so different in both story, budget, process and animation. They seem completely torn loose from all other animated films.)
Well I mean it's not like I haven't been curious and looked up a Furry or two in my life... I guess it's just the animation, it feels too childish I guess. Maybe if it was better animated looking, I'd have less a problem with it.

And besides, I rather like my Victorian Mind Set. Now pardon me my brethren of the Fan Fair of the Gaming Sub Culture, but I must currently attend to the viewing of the Sentient Were Wolves of the Fabled and very popular game that is known as the Planet of Violent Actions and Political Disagreement Creating.

(Now this is an okay furry)
The animation indeed, is atrocious, to say the least :)
But I guess, to me, it's a grindhouse sort of thing, a 'so bad it's good again' form of animation.
(Then again, it's about personal lasting impression, not how good a movie is - if you look up reviews of Fritz The Cat, you'll notice they aren't quite generous.)

As for the furry thing... I guess I really never stopped to think about it.
You think there was such a thing as furries when Robert Crumb made the character (1965) or even when the film came out (1972)?

(As for the Worgen, I don't play WoW myself, but I do wonder - where's the line between werewolf and 'furry'? Who decides what should be could what?)

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Studio Ghibli knows how to make good films and my top favorite animated films consist of almost only their movies. So other than works not made by them...

Toy Story series, childhood series I grew up with
The Lion King, it's pretty good
Mulan, it's cool to have an Asian main character in an Asian-culture-based movie. We don't really have those nowadays.

and before Disney can get cocky:
Eden of the East series, it's like Jason Bourne without the all the action
Pokemon 2000, say what you will about the story but that soundtrack was awesome

And something that isn't a movie:

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
JdaS said:
I liked Paprika a lot.
Aha! A Satoshi Kon film.
I kind of feared that if I didn't mention one, no-one would. :)

Glad to see I was wrong - and let it be known that Tokyo Godfathers is a nice watch as well.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Arqus_Zed said:
As for the furry thing... I guess I really never stopped to think about it.
You think there was such a thing as furries when Robert Crumb made the character (1965) or even when the film came out (1972)?

(As for the Worgen, I don't play WoW myself, but I do wonder - where's the line between werewolf and 'furry'? Who decides what should be could what?)
I am certain that there were at least 1 or 2 churches saying "Movies about Humanoid Animals doing it will bring degeneration to our nation!!"

(I am not sure, cause in WoW, Worgen can turn back into Humans when in non combat...)

nuqneh1

Aug 15, 2010
Fantastic Mr. Fox. Easily the best animated film I have seen in years. Also Titan A.E. but thats been mentioned before in the thread. But I will say the Cowboy Bebop movie is also one of the best animated movies I have seen.

DoctorObviously

May 22, 2009
WALL-E
FFVII: Advent Children Complete (the enchanced version IS better)
The Iron Giant
The Little Match Girl (short, but animated)

molester jester

Sep 4, 2008
Favourite would have to be UP followed by Kiki's Delivery service

Strange i don't see any mention of Kiki's Delivery service before this, Yet all the other Studio Ghibli films have been mentioned.

Edit: I forgot to mention The Iron Giant, that takes 1st place.

simply_simple

Aug 28, 2008
I love animated films so a top 5 is going to be hard. I'll exclude Pixar, classic Disney and Studio Ghibli from this list even though they could all fill a top 5 list easily.

1. Ghost in the Shell - I love the themes, ideas and animation. It's a great and smart film (the tv series and other 2 movies are also really good).

2. Evangelion - I love the series! Not exactly about giant fighting robots like I thought it'd be but the concepts of pride, arrogance and just being human made the series and movie grreeat.

3. Voices of a Distant star - it's only a short film (30 mins) but it's well told, well animated and has great music.

4. Samurai X Trust/Betrayal and reflections - these films are probably best enjoyed if you are familiar with the samurai X universe. They are top notch and thoroughly enjoyable.

5. Cowboy Bebop - It has good animation, characters, and voicing and an interesting story. It was maybe a little disappointing because the series itself was so damn good but I enjoyed the film a lot.

ajofflight

Jun 5, 2010
XJ-0461 said:
ajofflight said:
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
and
Howl's Moving Castle.
While I can't comment on Howl's Moving Castle (never seen it), you win for mentioning Mask of the Phantasm. I still watch it every now and then.

My other choices would be:

The Incredibles
The Wrong Trousers
A Close Shave
Toy Story

All great films.
Oh, you should definitely watch Howl's Moving Castle. It's one of my favorite movies.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Almost everything I would state has been mentioned, so I'll add this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUSzQBaWq0Q

No dialog, all music and emotion

mr.machoke

Apr 3, 2010
( ____ \( ___ )( ___ )( \
| ( \/| ( ) || ( ) || (
| | | | | || | | || |
| | | | | || | | || |
| | | | | || | | || |
| (____/\| (___) || (___) || (____/\
(_______/(_______)(_______)(_______/ ideas everyone. i cant decide...

CarpathianMuffin

Space. Lance.
Jun 7, 2010
To me: The Iron Giant, The Toy Story trilogy, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, and Castle in the Sky. Though there are many that I couldn't add easily.

RootbeerJello

Jul 19, 2009
Atlantis and Treasure Planet. Fuck, yes .

mr.machoke said:
( ____ \( ___ )( ___ )( \
| ( \/| ( ) || ( ) || (
| | | | | || | | || |
| | | | | || | | || |
| | | | | || | | || |
| (____/\| (___) || (___) || (____/\
(_______/(_______)(_______)(_______/ ideas everyone. i cant decide...
Don't do ASCII text. The format's all wonky, and I'm not sure many people are gonna take kindly to it.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Digimon The Movie. But stop watching after the second part.

South Park Movie.

Every Pixar film ever.

Calumon: Most disney films full stop! ^^