The best bands nobody seems to have heard of?

i2esol

Jul 1, 2009
A band I had never heard of until over three years ago has undergone many names. Devin Townsend has some of the most unique music I've heard. Devin Townsend is my personal favorite band of all time. Give it a shot.

Alex The Rat

Jan 8, 2010
Fenreil said:
Well, I don't know anyone who has heard of They Might Be Giants, but that might just be me.
Oh, I have a few friends who are definitely big fans of them. They're one of those bands that many people don't know by name, but everyone has heard their songs.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
The only band I really like that absolutely no one seems to know is Victim Effect. I listen to a lot of lesser known indie music, but so do all my friends so someone always knows any band I bring up except for these guys.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Red Lorry Yellow Lorry, pretty old but have that awesome 80's sound. Music by people whose entire lives are music

12capital

Feb 1, 2010
chiddy bang, I'm not surprised about that though, they're a relatively new rap duo out of Philly. I recommend 'Opposite of adults', 'Truth', or 'slow down' if anyone is looking to sample them.
Sam Adams is a new rapper out of Boston that is good, I believe he's most well known for his remix of Asher Roth's 'I Love College' though. It's called 'I hate College'
Out of curiosity do many people know about Four Year Strong? They're a great band but not many of my friends have ever heard of them.
Others artists I feel may not be very well known at least within my group of associates include: Wiz Khalifa, Cash Cash, and Phoenix.
EDIT: Chisel is a great indie band that is no longer together, but their lead singer still does solo work I believe

Alex The Rat

Jan 8, 2010
Enigma6667 said:
Matt_LRR said:
Enigma6667 said:
Arcade Fire. Everyone only knows them for that one song that played in all of the Where the Wild Things Are advertisements. All of their songs are really great.
They got fucking huge in canada. certainly, you'd be hard-pressed to find a twenty-something up here that hadn't at least heard of them.

-m
Huh. Where I'm at, nobody I know has ever heard of them. I guess L.A.ers are waaay too unhealthily interested in Justin Bieber that we rarely hear of shit that's actually good.
Go north a few hundred miles into San Francisco and I'm sure you'd get more of them than you could stand ;) They're huge among college students and people who like "indie" music.

Cobaltmotari

Nov 30, 2009
I personally don't see many people talking enough about Norwegian electronica band Royksopp, which is a shame, because their song "Vision One" ended up being one of my favourite songs of all time, thanks to it's combination of electronic instruments and very satisfying lyrics and vocals.

DarkHourPrince

May 12, 2010
Ensiferum said:
Nightwish

Tristania

Sirenia

Within Temptation
I've heard of all four of those and listened to them with a good friend of mine that moved off to New Jersey.

As for my list?

Poets of the Fall

Celldweller

Leaves Eyes

Delain

Zeromancer

Egypt Central

Kamelot

Unsun

Druyn

May 6, 2010
These Green Eyes. Theyre a local band that almost got big, pushed out one album before breaking up. Can get it on iTunes, and guess what? IT KICKS ASS. Its not "average people who can play various instruments in a mediocre manner make a band" local, these guys were really good and almost made it really big. I say locla because they live i my town.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cYqDDYZu24

I mean the music video sucks, and they arent the most attractive people, but they were really good!

Maleb

Apr 22, 2010
Whitest boy alive [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitest_boy_alive]: If you have the chance of seeing them live, dont hesitate, 'cause they will bring the house down --> clickie [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMckPhYP4Q4]

Pavement [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pavement_(band)]: maybe they are all just forgetten

Anyone know The National?

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
Ayreon. Seriously this is gold. I listen to NOTHING ELSE. (99% of all music I listen to is Ayreon or Ambeon. Ambeon is another project by the same composer).
Not technically a band(s) though.
The vocals are amazing, sine the composer, Arjen A Lucassen got vocalists from a whole ot of top bands for the project (Ayreon). As for Ambeon, there's only one vocalist, a then 4 year old girl who has the most amazing voice I have ever heard on anyone that age.
The music is better on Ayreon, although that's not to say Ambeon is bad.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Fenreil said:
Well, I don't know anyone who has heard of They Might Be Giants, but that might just be me.
TMBG is epic. Tvtropes is obsessed with them, you should check it out.

Anyway, Reverend Horton Heat.