The Best Book/Book Series You've Ever Read?

darkman80723

Jul 1, 2009
Dark Tower Series by Stephan King. Took me three months to get through it but in the end I read the last chapter and just smiled.

Haydyn

Mar 27, 2009
The Thief Who Couldn't Sleep.

It's about a man who due to a wartime injury has legit insomnia, meaning he never sleeps. He spends his extra time learning multiple languages and studying before learning of a possible site in a European country where a fortune of gold was stored during WWII. Using only his cunningness, he makes his way all around Europe, escaping many dangerous situations, all while being a marked man and having a few one night stands along the way. Not because he is a skirt chaser, but because he's so awesome the women literally throw themselves at him.

I'm waiting for the right time to pick up the next book in the series.

GotMalkAvian

Feb 4, 2009
The Hitchhiker's Guide series by Douglas Adams is one of my all-time favorites, especially the first three books.

The Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher are a fantastic mix of high fantasy and modern-day private investigation. There are plenty of books in the series, as well as quite a few short stories, and I have yet to encounter what I'd consider a "low point."

A. A. Attanasio wrote a great re-telling of the Arthurian legend in a four book series starting with The Dragon and the Unicorn. He mixed the Arthurian legend, real Celtic and Roman history, various world mythology, and quantum and other scientific theories to create an amazingly detailed and unique take on the well-known legends. The only problem I have is that the series tends to get bogged down in almost Tolkien-level wordiness, so getting through certain parts can be a bit tedious.

I'm in the middle of Boneshaker by Cherie Priest. I've had trouble getting into steampunk; most steampunk writing has its head way too far up its ass and loses itself masturbating over just how cool the steampunk setting in. Boneshaker deals with characters first and foremost, and the steampunk trappings seem natural and not at all forced. The story itself is a great combination of alternative U.S. history and zombie horror.

Oh, I almost forgot: The Series of Unfortunate Events series by Lemony Snickett is also a lot of fun. I don't typically enjoy books aimed at younger readers, but these books are just so unflichingly brutal and darkly hilarious that I can't help but love them.

EDIT: Crap, one more. Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Johnathan L. Howard. I love this book, and can't wait to read the sequel. The titular protagonist is such an unapologetic self-serving asshole and has an incredibly dry sense of humor. The first book is also a great take on the Faustian deal-with-the-devil trope. Also, it contains the best description of the devil I've ever read:

"Being all things to all people, the devil looked exactly as you'd imagine him. Exactly."

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
King Toasty said:
The Bartimaeus Trilogy. Really original, fantastic characterization and simply amazing atmosphere.
You have excellent taste in books.

Though all the same, I'm going to have to put Discworld as my favourite series, and Bartimaeus as a close second. My favourite non-series would be Jonathan Strange&Mr. Norrell.

The Furbinator

Jul 12, 2010
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde, I could read that book forever! The Wheel of Time series is also another favourite though.

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
Sober Thal said:
'The Wheel of Time' by Robert Jordan.

With help by Brandon Sanderson.
yeah.......
that.
Mat is the coolest character in anything since ever.
It's just fact.

gundargundar

Oct 4, 2009
I recently read the Pillars of the Earth, seriously is the best book I've ever read by a long shot

Eifla

Aug 23, 2010
1984 by Orwell, single most important book I've ever read.

Just the dogs bollocks when it comes to creating a novel sense of place and power.

I love the Inheritance Cycle, and The Bartimaeus trilogy and The Hobbit mind you. :)

Eifla

Aug 23, 2010
EcoEclipse said:
Single book: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Such a good book.

Series: Pendragon by DJ MacHale. It has a bit of a slow start, but it has a lot of twists, wit, and cliffhangers that literally left me sitting there wondering "What the fuck?" for extended periods of time.

Also, John Dies at the End by David Wong. Highly entertaining, but I can't put a rank on it as I haven't finished it yet.
David Wong is a genius :D

y1fella

Jul 29, 2009
King Toasty said:
The Bartimaeus Trilogy. Really original, fantastic characterization and simply amazing atmosphere.
Yeah I don't know about that. the series was good and all but the only part of it that was great (you know the Bartimaeus part) only came around ever know and then. All the other parts were good but they were kinda bland in comparison. Well that's how I felt about it at least.
OT: I guess I'll say..... either the weavers of Saramyr or wheel of time.

Burnseasons

Feb 24, 2011
Gonna have to go with the "ShadowMarch" series by Tad Williams.
Yeah it SEEMS kinda like a typical fantasy fare, but I found it a whole lot more. I'd put right up there along A Song of Ice and Fire

Reshkar

"Face to Face"
May 18, 2010
The Myron Bolitar series by Harlan Coben, the Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer, or the Dark Templar Saga by Christie Golden.