The Best Book/Book Series You've Ever Read?

Dramatic Flare

Frightening Frolicker
Jun 18, 2008
Zaverexus said:
The works of Dumas, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, and Dune (though I've only read two books in that series)
Don't bother continuing, the series moves quickly downhill after that.

Mine would have to be Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series. Changed my life and beliefs, in some ways.

Solstar100

Mar 7, 2011
I Can't believe no-one has mentioned Isaac Asimov, almost every one of his books from 'I Robot' through the Elijah Baley series, through the Robots & Empire series into the Foundation series ending in 'Foundation And Earth' have been one truly Epic space opera with no rival, this story spans from "the near Future" into tens of thousands of years into a galaxy spanning empire then its ultimate demise and re-birth

The Best Series Of Books By Far

hasselhoff111

Nov 4, 2010
Definitely The Gun Seller by the great Hugh Laurie. Fantastic thriller thats acctually pretty god-damn hilarious.

AzzA-D

Nov 18, 2009
Market Forces by Richard Morgan has absolutely fantastic character development, and a brilliant storyline in a fairly feasible Sci Fi setting. Amazing!!

Serenegoose

Faerie girl in hiding
Mar 17, 2009
Dorian_Winter said:
Raymond E Feist's 'Riftwar'.
Those were pretty fantastic. I was more impressed with the Empire trilogy co-written with Janny Wurts. Two reasons: Mara of the Acoma and Arakasi the spymaster. Glorious.

OMGMOO

Feb 19, 2010
emeraldrafael said:
Best Single Book: The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
Best Series: The Dark Tower by Stephen King
-Best book out of that series (to me): The Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass
I'm halfway through Wizard and Glass at the moment, looking forawrd to the next three. Roland Deschain of Gilead, Son of Steven and the Last Gunslinger is the most badass character of all time, but we see a different side to him in W&G as well as the fantastic tale of his and his worlds past.

andeve3

Jul 14, 2010
I can not think of a single aspect of Eric Arthur Blair's 1984 that i dislike.

Ouroboros0977

Jan 1, 2009
The Gaunt's Ghosts Novels by Dan Abnett since well... one of the characters is called 'Try Again' Bragg and carries a missile launcher like it's a rifle.

Brainpalm

Apr 17, 2010
EcoEclipse said:
Single book: Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. Such a good book.

Series: Pendragon by DJ MacHale. It has a bit of a slow start, but it has a lot of twists, wit, and cliffhangers that literally left me sitting there wondering "What the fuck?" for extended periods of time.

Also, John Dies at the End by David Wong. Highly entertaining, but I can't put a rank on it as I haven't finished it yet.

John Dies at the End is THE best book I have ever read. I read it in like 2 days it was so entertaining. (And then again in 1 sitting a few days later)

The Jack West Jr (Seven Ancient Wonders, Six sacred stones, Five greatest warriors) series by Matthew Reilly is really good, as well as anything else by Matthew Reilly.

Also the discworld series, Eragon/the inheritance series (wondering when book 4 is out...?) and others i can't remember at this point in time....

EDIT: Magician by Raymond E. Feist. A great book.

Voodoomancer

Jun 8, 2009
Toss up between The Temeraire series and the Vlad Taltos series.
Short summaries:

Temeraire: Napoleon wars with dragons.

Vlad Taltos: Best narrative in a book ever. Also sorcery.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
Dramatic Flare said:
Zaverexus said:
The works of Dumas, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series, and Dune (though I've only read two books in that series)
Don't bother continuing, the series moves quickly downhill after that.

Mine would have to be Neil Gaiman's The Sandman series. Changed my life and beliefs, in some ways.
Without the Sandman mention, I'd call you crazy. I've read through Chapterhouse Dune (last one Frank wrote) and each book has only gotten more daring and clever with its plots and the elements they introduce into the universe. I don't think any character ever tops Paul, but Leto II comes damn close.

ToxicPiranah

Nov 5, 2009
Ouroboros0977 said:
The Gaunt's Ghosts Novels by Dan Abnett since well... one of the characters is called 'Try Again' Bragg and carries a missile launcher like it's a rifle.
Have you read either Eisenhorn or Ravenor? If you like Abnetts writing they're both pretty good.

OT: My choice is a toss up between Stephen Kings: Dark Tower series, Jim Butchers: Dresden files and Dan Abnett's: Gaunt's Ghosts.

Ouroboros0977

Jan 1, 2009
ToxicPiranah said:
Ouroboros0977 said:
Have you read either Eisenhorn or Ravenor? If you like Abnetts writing they're both pretty good.

OT: My choice is a toss up between Stephen Kings: Dark Tower series, Jim Butchers: Dresden files and Dan Abnett's: Gaunt's Ghosts.
I have read some of the Eisonhorn series and liked it a lot, but upon playing dark heresy and getting a scum character with exterminator knuckledusters, I decided that I liked the Gaunt's Ghosts better. (Yes, it was a completely arbitrary moment that made me realise that because that is how I work as a person).

Roganzar

Winter is coming
Jun 13, 2009
Favorite of all time is the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I have 3 different printings of it, the entire radio show, the 70's BBC TV show and my towel is always handy.

.No. said:
Trainspotting. I did watch the movie first though.
Really good book. I also saw the movie before reading the book.

dday4you

Jun 11, 2008
dark matter and narnia series
both are filled with intresting characters and good solid plots

Crayzor

Aug 16, 2009
The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. I'm currently reading the last in the series, The Crippled God, and I absolutely love the entire series.