The Best book you OWN

bartman675

Jul 16, 2009
spacepope22 said:

I am America, and so can You, by Steven Colbert
i forgot about this book it was awesome
hitchhikers guide to the galaxy trilogy- life the universe and everything is one of the best
wheel of time series
Mogworld

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
All of the Harry Potter books in 1st edition hardback

The Wrath of Grapes second edition in hardback.

MasTerHacK

Apr 15, 2009
IsraelRocks said:
Like the title says, name the best book you have in your collection

For me its this leatherbound baby
FUCKSHIT!!!
But for me it's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" by Philip K. Dick. Awesome book.

TehRandom1

May 9, 2010
1. ESV study Bible- for daily correspondence
2. Martindale- the complete drug reference, it's 'indispensable'
3. Vander's Human Physiology, it's heartstopping.

And so ends my entire, erm, book pile thing.

Casimir_Effect

Aug 26, 2010
coldfrog said:
Casimir_Effect said:
Oh man, it's so hard to pick a favorite, but I think Deadhouse might be it - the cohesiveness of Coltaine's story and the way the whole tale played out was amazing, and this is also the book that pretty much sets up the rest of the future events in the series. It puts so many of the major players in place for what is coming. I need to finish that series... or at least what's available. And then read Esselmont's books.

Nevertheless, probably the best book I own would either be Catch-22 or Pratchett's Small Gods. Both have been read so much I've gotten second copies.
Everything with Deadhouse just clicks. And while Gardens of the Moon comes first that book is so damn confusing because Erikson just drops you into the world. There is no explanation of anything. After Gardens though, Deadhouse is able to expand more and things start to become clearer. And like you said, it introduced so many of the main characters and plot arcs which will influence the later books.

The only book which can clearly compete with DG is Memories of Ice. It has the same great pacing and tragic bent to it. And it can also be thought of as book 2 of the series in a sense because both it and DG follow on directly from GotM, taking place simultaneously. Saying that, while books 2 & 3 are my favourites I also love the later ones. Bonehunters and Reapers Gale are great because so much happens in them (which unfortunately means they get a bit lost sometimes), House of Chains and Midnight Tides are excellent for following on from DG in a well written and mature way, and introducing a whole new continent. And the two latest ones showcase a very different writing style from Erikson which grew on me really fast. That's also when a LOT of stuff starts to come together in his convergences.

The Esslemont books are pretty good. Return of the Crimson Gaurd is better than Night of Knives in my opinion, because it feels more like a Malazan book - epic. NoK all takes place i nthe space of one night. An important night in the history of the Empire, but it still feels a bit confined and confusing. But I'm looking forward to his future ones. And the final one from Erikson. You have no idea how much I'm looking forward to that one - book 10.

IsraelRocks

Apr 21, 2010
Well, I have a few that deserves a throne for some reasons.

The one I treasure the most is The lost world by Conan Doyle, because it's the first I owned and read when I was 12.

Atlas Srugged by Ayn Rand is the one that I consider the best I ever read so far in my life.

Elerry Queen's Halfway House is the first detective book that me wife gave me, and one of the best mistery books I recall reading.

Those are my beloved books, for different reason, but I couldn't put one over the other.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
The complete Lovecraft:

EDIT:

Nevyrmoore said:
I am also looking to collect all the Discworld books.
Haha, just noticed you also had not only the same book but same edition. They're really nice volumes. Do you have Conan?

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
CarpathianMuffin said:
The Hobbit and a leather bound copy of H.P. Lovecraft stories. House of Leaves is up there as well.
Lol exactly this every one.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
I don't have any partiularly cool books in my collection: no special editionsor leatherbound things, so I'm forced to pick based on the quality of the book itself.

That's either Catch 22 or Cryptonomicon.

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
Argtee said:
MagicMouse said:
Argtee said:
MagicMouse said:
Entire Wheel of Time series...
Pretty much this.

I don't have the ENTIRE Wheel of Time series, (1-7 and 9. I couldn't find 8 anywhere) but the ones that I've already read (1-5. I'm almost finished 5) are really good.
Yeah they are great books, very complex with alot of deep characters. I can't wait for the next book to come out from the new author, he did a great job on #12.
It's terrible that Robert Jordan died. I'm sure that book 12 would be different if he would've wrote.

I'm not saying that book 12 is bad. I haven't really heard much about it, but I'm sure it's still good. I'm just saying that it probably would've been...different if Robert Jordan wrote it...
[sub]Not sure how to explain, but I hope you understand what I mean[/sub]
I have the entire wheel of time series to date (and have the next one pre-ordered), and i think Brandon Sanderson did a better job on book 12 then Mr Jordan would have.

In any case, the best book i own is a series: The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. I love that series, i would like to purchase the ones i have in paperback in hard cover.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
Pride and Prejudice, by Jane Austen. It's as close to a perfect novel as I could ever imagine. Other favourites include Lord of the Rings, America: The Book, HHGTTG and I Am America, And So Can You!

Out of all of them I'd definitely put Pride and Prejudice on top as a literary work though.

Outofideas

Nov 7, 2009
I'm so glad Garth Nix's Abhorsen trilogy got a couple shout-outs here; just re-read them this summer and they're still as awesome now as when I first read them. I also own every Discworld novel and I'm plowing through Wheel of Time.

That said, I have to give it to The Annotated Alice/More Annotated Alice. It's Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass in one big hardcover book, with half of each page given to notes picking apart the text for meanings and interesting little facts about where the inspiration for this or that detail came from and a whole lot besides.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Lord of the Rings
The Silmarillion
The Dark Tower series
The Guants Ghost Series
The Soul Drinkers
Ciaphas Cain; Hero of the Imperium
Grey Knights
Eisenhorn
The Art of War

To name a few anyway.