The best book your school made you read?

ExaltedBlizzard

Jan 22, 2010
Lord of The Flies by William Golding. I really enjoyed the concept, and the book is very well written IMO. (Enjoyed it way more than "The Plague" by Albert Camus. Euhh.....)

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
We had two separate instances where we could choose a book from a selection, and first time I chose hitchiker's guide to the galaxy. 'twas alright. Next time I checked out Catcher in the Rye (it was either that, grapes of wrath, great gatsby - which I recently read and kind of liked, the Scarlet Letter and of Mice and Men). I really liked it, actually. Holden was an interesting unreliable narrator one could relate to, at least as a wannabe-cynical teenager, and I liked that he was just...a flawed person.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I had to read a good chunk of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales when I was in high school. Because of that, I now have to wonder how much better the world would be if he hadn't died before writing maybe only 1/5th of them.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
Probably An inspector calls by J.B Priestley it is actually a play, but the full length novel they made us read was Wuthering heights and it isn't a book I would choose to read in my spare time to be honest. At university my personal tutor recommended that we read Copenhagen by Michael Frayn, which explored the reason why Werner Heisenberg visited his friend and mentor Niels Bohr in Copenhagen in 1941, and Hitler's Uranium club: The secret recordings at farm hall by Jeremy Bernstein, both of which I loved. I always find time to read Hitler's Uranium club as I find the relationship between the German physicists and how they went about trying to construct an atomic bomb interesting. My professor always hammered into us the importance of Heisenberg, Pauli and Bohr and how their research has influenced our understanding of modern chemistry.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
capper42 said:
Xdeser2 said:
So, most schools have banned this book, but because my english teacher was a bit of a Bamf, he got the school to un-ban Nineteen Eighty Four for that semester, and it was pretty amazing.
Wait, most schools have banned 1984? Where? Why?
okay, maybe not MOST, but alot still ban the book for overt sexual content and anti-establishment overtones

Its honestly quite stupid to go crazy over this book (or any book for that matter), but hey 'MERICA! (It also dosent help that I live in Arizona)

vasudean

May 30, 2008
I would say my favorite is The Lord of The Flies. I loved that book because it touched on the discussion of what would happen if society was stripped away and the savagery that's in us all.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Germinal [http://www.amazon.com/Germinal-Oxford-Worlds-Classics-%C3%89mile/dp/0199536899], by Émile Zola, for a High School literature class, as an example of the Naturalist movement.

The book felt so human, and being so human it felt so dirty and savage. Even the simplest things like eating bread felt savage and unsetling.

I just can't express my thankfulness to the teacher who introduced us this book. I love it!

(There's also a movie with Gérard Depardieu, but it's not as awesome or compelling as the book)

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
The Outsiders.

I read a lot of horrible books in high school (Great Expectations, Grapes of Wrath, The Red Pony), but that was a genuinely good book.

C4tt4nn4

Oct 26, 2012
in elementary school, it was the phantom tollbooth. middle school, its a tie between Of Mice and Men (like everyone else), Dulce and Decorum Est (by wilfred owen), and The boy in the striped pyjamas (wasn't assigned reading, but we made a deal as a class to all read it and then watch the movie as a class. no one left that afternoon without a tear in their eye). and since then, its a tie between a wonderful fool by shusaku endo and travels with charley.

The interesting thing about a wonderful fool is that a surprisingly large number of people read it, so there were some genuinely interesting discussions about it.

Dead Seerius

Feb 4, 2012
AngloDoom said:
Slaughterhouse 5.

Holy moley, that's a good book. To this day I don't know a single person who's heard of the book outside of those in the class and the people they recommended it to.
It's funny you should say that. I literally just heard about Slaughterhouse 5 for the first time a month ago from a friend who was doing a report on Kurt Vonnegut. He made it sound really good, and I plan to read it when I get the chance.

Roggen Bread

Nov 3, 2010
I liked Fahrenheit 451.

There also were some German titles.

Mutter Courage und ihre Kinder (=Mother Courage and her children) by Berthold Brecht,
Dantons Tod(=Danton's Death) by Georg Büchner and Die Physiker (=The Physicists) by Friedrich Dürenmatt

LarenzoAOG

Apr 28, 2010
I rather enjoyed Frankenstein, and Don Quixote, although I never finished it, other than that the books we actually had to read were pretty damn boring.

Anyone know where I can read Don Quixote? And don't say a library, this is the 21st century people.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I really loved Brave New World, 1984, Ant Farm, and The Book Thief (this one's middle school, but screw that!). I also started to appreciate Shakespeare more due to high school. My English teacher in freshman year was such an awesome guy.

Ashadowpie

Feb 3, 2012
i was forced to choose from a bunch of books in grade 10 English; Silence of the Lambs. read it, now im hooked to Thomas Harris books. Red Dragon is the best book i've ever read. awesome movie too!

MorganL4

Person
May 1, 2008
Marter said:
The only one I can really remember was To Kill a Mockingbird. That was a good book. I think I read it twice over the assigned period because I liked it that much (and because we had to read it during class, and we were given way more time than we needed to do so).
Huh, I had the exact opposite thing happen with that book.... Just could not bring myself to finish it, luckily the teacher seemed to forget to make us finish reading it anyway.

I did actually enjoy reading The Outsiders in Jr High though.... But for the most part it seemed like anytime I was ASSIGNED a book it was just something I could not get into.

I had to read Merchant of Venice in 11th grade I had seen the play 5 times and the film once, and LOVED it.... But when I had to actually read the thing, it just didn't pull me in.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
Lord of the Flies was compulsory reading in most Swedish schools when I grew up and I love it still, wonderful book.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Didn't like any of them. Although, reading To Kill a Mocking Bird wasn't all that bad, although for some bizarre reason I thought Jem, Scout and Atticus were black. I got very confused later on -_-

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
Grendel, The Stranger, Cat's Craddle, and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (I chose it from a list of book we were supposed to read by graduation).

The Crucible was fun because we had to read it in class in groups. My group was made up of all my friends in that class, and we decided to do voices for the characters. One of my friends, who was on the football team and is huge, played the black maid in the highest pitch voice he could do. I played one of the reverants with a very convincing pirate voice.
We got absolutely nothing done.

EDIT:
When I came into class with Fear and Loathing, my English/Journalism teacher looked at me, looked at the book, looked back at me. He opened his mouth to say something, laughed, then said "Don't get any ideas."