The Best Cult Games

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
thesupremegamer said:
Moontouched-Moogle said:
Ipsen said:
Come to think upon it, many JRPG's unanimously just fall into this category, for some reason. A large number of RPG fans, let alone whatever the hell mainstream gamers think, count JRPG's as crap, or at best niche, unless Final Fantasy is mentioned.

But whatevs. Adding the entire Etrian Odyssey series, EOU+I-IV to this list. They always seem to review pretty well, but their general presentation and difficulty easily keeps players out.
I'd say Etrian Odyssey is more of a niche series than a cult classic. The fact that it got 3 sequels and an enhanced remake of the first one shows that it's done more than well enough sales wise. The difficulty may keep many players out, but that's basically by design. It's made specifically for the type of audience that enjoys a hardcore dungeon crawl, and has done quite well with that audience.
thesupremegamer said:
Arqus_Zed said:
The Wykydtron said:
This gen? MGS Rising Revengeance. It's fucking amazing, Platinum Games are the best developers of hack and slash games by far.

The plot is insane and that only adds to the enjoyment, there's a nice amount of references to other games (like all other games done by them they have a great sense of humour,) character development and interactions are good and the combat speaks for itself.

Special mention to the boss fights. Platinum Games strikes again.

Other gen i'm surprising nobody with Persona 4, best game ever, amazing story blah blah blah so on and so forth :D
thesupremegamer said:
persona 4s one of the few jrpgs i actualy enjoy im not the biggest jrpg fan XDD
I'm pretty sure being a "cult" game means it was a game that was unappreciated at the time of its release, resulting in disappointing sales and a gaining a following after the facts.

I would call Lucifer's Call a cult game.
I would call the Digital Devil Saga installments cult games.

But Persona 4 sold over 820.000 copies on the PS2.
And an extra 600.000 on the Vita - I didn't even know Sony had sold that many Vitas to begin with.

I'm not saying it wasn't a decent game, I'm just saying that I really don't think Persona 4 qualifies as a cult game.

persona 4 did do well but it has a decent sized fanbase so i say it counts ^^
See, by that logic, the modern Call of Duty games would be cult games simply because it has a decently sized(at the very least) fan base. It doesn't work like that.

Persona 4 isn't a cult classic, because it was critically acclaimed AND sold well when it was released, certainly well enough for an enhanced Vita port.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance isn't a cult hit either, since it's part of a well-established franchise(albeit a fairly unique entry in said franchise) and sold pretty well at launch. It even has a brand new PC port now that seems to be doing well so far.

Hell, you could argue that Shin Megami Tensei: NOCTURNE(Lucifer's Call in Europe, great job on that spoilery title by that way, Ghostlight) may not be a cult game, since it received critical acclaim and was reprinted a few times over the years. I'm unsure if the reprints are more a result of high demand for the game itself, or more for people who played Persona 3 and 4 and would otherwise have missed out on NOCTURNE without it. The fact that the game had 3 different editions(the second one was the version the rest of the world got) seems to suggest it did pretty well though, at least in Japan.

As for actual cult games I liked, The World Ends With You was pretty enjoyable. Had Square Enix kept the ball rolling, it might have grown into something bigger and better. Instead, we got hilariously fragmented soundtracks and a crappy, over-priced iOS port. RIP in Peace, TWEWY.

psychonauts got critical acclaim but its still considered a cult game
Yes, but Psychonauts ALSO had poor sales, which is why it's a cult game.

If a game has poor critical reception and poor sales, it's just shit.
If it has great critical acclaim and sells well within the target market, it's a success.
Cult games are the ones that are generally praised by critics but somehow slip through the cracks in the market, not selling very well and usually only getting wide recognition after the fact.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
System Shock 2.

How long did that take to get ported to digital distribution platforms to work natively on Windows 7?

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
System Shock 2.

How long did that take to get ported to digital distribution platforms to work natively on Windows 7?