The best educational/school games

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010

Anybody remember this gem?
I'll be honest, as a 90s kid, this wasn't the version of Oregon Trail that I actually played. The incarnation I did play was the sequel that came out in 1996.

Farthest I've always got to was Salt Lake City. A bit dated now, but I loved it back then.
So anyways, post any of your favorite games that were either meant to be educational or were in your school's computers.

Jazoni89

Dec 24, 2008
Screw Oregon trail, that rubbish is for yanks.

Granny's (motherfucking!) Garden, is the real stuff. A real British classic of educational gaming.

One of the first PC games i ever played, and that was on a RM Nimbus in my second year at school.

The witch still terrifies me a little...she used to give me nightmares as a kid.

Also the logical journey of the zoombini's, and Crystal Rainforest were pretty damn awesome.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Typing Of The Dead.

Every correct keystroke puts one more bullet into whatever zombie or other miscreant stands before you. It teaches you typing while satisfying your need for mindless violence. Really, there is no contest.

RufusMcLaser

Mar 27, 2008
What a silly question. Of course it's Oak Flat Nuclear Power Plant Simulator for the C64!
See the niftyness [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdm1Kd4RMjw].

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
skywolfblue said:

Logic, Hungry Pizza trolls, and cute Zoombinis to guide, what could be better?
Oh my god, I played the sequel Zoombinis Mountain Rescue where they had to go to this village made of candy. I always thought my Zoombinis get killed whenever I did a puzzle wrong.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
BloatedGuppy said:
Frog Fractions.

It's the most fun you'll ever have with fractions.

Also frogs.
Yup. I learned more in the time I spent playing this game than I have in years. This game just gives you so much practical knowledge. Play it now, if you haven't. It's free, so there's no excuse.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
skywolfblue said:

This was a great game, Broderbund really nailed making an educational game that was actually fun. Oregon Trail deserves kudos though, I can still play that to this day. In a similar vein is Gold Rush by Sierra:

http://www.sierragamers.com/aspx/m/643921

jelock

Nov 29, 2009
Screwattack just did a top 10 on this. Not surprisingly OT came out at 1
http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/wcnd8g/screwattack-s-top-ten-top-10-educational-games

Seeing that granny garden made me think of Mixed Up Mother Goose on my primary schools amigas.

Gotta put in a vote for Carmen Sandiago though one of the few games that doesn't feel like it is teaching you but Damn you learnt a lot.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The Logical Journey of the Zoombinis. I played that in my own time, not even as part of school. To be learning things and not notice is just amazing.

Also that one with the mouse where you have to arrange springs and other contraptions in a level to get him to the end, working with static objects and devices. Not sure what it was called, but 'Newton' was in there somewhere.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Aris Khandr said:
I loved the Carmen Sandiego games. Seriously, why aren't those being made anymore?
It still is being published. The latest game in the series is Mais où se Cache Carmen Sandiego? Mystère au Bout du Monde. It is a French only game.

If you have a Wii, there are 5 math games released in 2011/2012.

Unfortunately Carmen Sandiego is showing her age. A lot of people resist learning something when they want to play a game.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
skywolfblue said:

I fucking loved that game!
I remember there was a couple sequel which were OK.

There were a couple other ones too, but I can't remember. I want to say Jump Start: # Grade.
I know one of them involved two green alien like guys and had a lot of math, then there was another one where you played as a group of kids trying to solve mysteries--one of them was the mystery of a giant dragon thing that was abducting animals.

Why aren't these being made for older people? I'd love to learn Japanese or String Theory through a game.