The BEST FPS game of all time [your opinoins]

OliverTwist72

Nov 22, 2010
ciortas1 said:
Meh. I can only conclude you haven't played any new games with answers like this. I mean really, I had fun playing a lot of foul shit when I was a kid, but as I grow older and play more and more games, I realise just how much of a crap game something that I liked as a kid was. It doesn't diminish from the fun I had playing all those years ago, it means it would be a shitfest if I played it now.
I believe you are misreading the subject of this thread. I do agree with you that nostalgia can color your opinions of older games. However, this thread is the best of all time. Does the best of all time only includes games from the past couple years? I don't believe it does, it should take into account all games. Goldeneye really was a revolutionary title, and I believe it should receive acclaim for that.

I also think that you are misreading the intention of my post. I say "Best game of all time!" kind of like a cheerleader. Would I rather play it now, than say Call of Duty or Borderlands, no. But at the time it came out it had no equal. I think a maybe (or maybe not so) fair comparison is that frequently the best movie of all time is referred to as Citizen Kane. While I do agree the movie is good, I found it rather lackluster. Since movie making back then is different from now, maybe I am just not used to it.

Carlston

Apr 8, 2008
Jedi knight series.
Just enough to mix up the gun A is my pistol, gun B is the machine gun with the force powers and saber fighting.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
ciortas1 said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Nostalgia can make a piece of shit game seem bearable in retrospect. Or some fun had with a game seem like the most fun you've ever had in your (gaming) life. It has distorting qualities.

Which is why, if you liked it so much when you were younger, try playing it now and see how it measures up to the more recent games. If it still makes you giggle or shit your pants from the awesomeness or whatever, go ahead and still call it your favourite. Just be honest with yourself.

Like the person who just said Goldeneye and Doom are unsurpassed. Fucking seriously guys.
Tell me, d'ya honestly think the FPS genre would be the same without titles like Doom and Goldeneye? Let's say your favorite FPS was CoD4, and when BlOps came out, which is basically the same thing in terms of gamelay mechanics (just with added features and minor tweaks) but improves a bit on the original, would you call it the best game in the series?

All you're putting in is the gameplay factor. When putting an opinion on the 'best' of something, people also consider 'innovation' and the sense of novelty.

I don't know why you've to attack other people's choices. Taste differs.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
ciortas1 said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Nostalgia can make a piece of shit game seem bearable in retrospect. Or some fun had with a game seem like the most fun you've ever had in your (gaming) life. It has distorting qualities.

Which is why, if you liked it so much when you were younger, try playing it now and see how it measures up to the more recent games. If it still makes you giggle or shit your pants from the awesomeness or whatever, go ahead and still call it your favourite. Just be honest with yourself.

Like the person who just said Goldeneye and Doom are unsurpassed. Fucking seriously guys.
Tell me, d'ya honestly think the FPS genre would be the same without titles like Doom and Goldeneye? Let's say your favorite FPS was CoD4, and when BlOps came out, which is basically the same thing in terms of gamelay mechanics (just with added features and minor tweaks) but improves a bit on the original, would you call it the best game in the series?

All you're putting in is the gameplay factor. When putting an opinion on the 'best' of something, people also consider 'innovation' and the sense of novelty.

I don't know why you've to attack other people's choices.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
Yea, gonna have to go with Halo 2

*full power to flame shields*

CoD4 is a close second, though.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Multiplayer: Counter Strike 1.5 (that's right it's not a typo)
Single player: I''m gonna say Bioshock because I was able to play it for 12 hours straight and I lost the track of time. It never happened before. But I can't just chose one cause I'm a single player gamer and I have to pick several. So, Crysis (yes), CoD 4, MW2, F.E.A.R., Return to castle Wolfenstein.

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
I would have to say I love everything about Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source. If someone smashed together MW2 and Counter-Strike... my world would be complete.

I hate how arcade-like the Modern Warfare games feel. Slow it down a bit, up the weapon damage and you would have a more tactical and better shooter. No one... runs, jumps and does a 360 and head shots anyone in CS.

Sep 14, 2009
ciortas1 said:
gmaverick019 said:
Mmmkay. Do you want a pat on the back and a banana for your attempt at an argument?

I was railing at people's decision to hold nostalgia as the best indicator as to the quality of a game. Ending with a challenge to those people to play those games again and see if they measure up to their standards. If they don't, they're no longer their favourite. Simple as that.

Now, having played through HL2 literally 2 weeks ago and still having played the HL2:Deathmatch again today, I can say that it absolutely does measure up to mine.
there just isn't any point for being snooty about peoples choices, in no way did it effect you or your choice, you don't know if they play it constantly or not, or if they play fps's anymore, so being overly confrontational about it is elitist and stupid over nothing..

actually i have multiple friends who play golden eye,counter strike, and doom respectively, and they do it at least once a month. So just because someone picks something that's not your choice, doesn't mean its wrong in their eyes.

OT:

personally i dont care for fps's that much,as i hate the view, but if i were to pick one, it would definitely be the 2nd halo, it's the only game i have ever played as much as i did and i played through the campaign with my friends over winter break and it still is just as fun.

amadhatter

Apr 15, 2010
mine is easily Undying. Tasty gameplay, and the story was written by Clive Barker. Or Morrowind, that's a game that'll steal your life from you.

Mark Hardigan

Apr 5, 2010
Toss up between portal, Half Life, Half Life 2 and System Shock 2. Really can't decide between. Sure there are many other good ones, but Bioshock can't hold a candle to System Shock 2, and Call of Duty is just nipping at Half Life's heels.

Oct 2, 2010
Easily Halo CE for me. The dynamic gameplay never gets old, nor does its beautiful stylistic visuals.

Major props also to Timesplitters 2 and Half-Life 2.

Neino Ranatos

Jul 12, 2010
Duck Hunt was the best FPS of all time. You could actually shoot the supporting characters. [The Dog.]