The Best Medicine

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
So, I'm currently stuck in bed with a migraine and have thrown up what's left of last night's dinner. With that in mind, Escapists, what do you turn to when you're under the weather? What home remedy do you use to cure what ails you? What's your comfort material, be it a movie, book, food, whatever, for whenever you're sick?

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
Sleep and books. Last time I was sick I slept nineteen hours out of twenty-four. That and a good meal the next day was all it took to feel better. Books are good because you can doze off while reading without missing anything.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
Lots of food, drink, and sleep. Also watching tv shows from your childhood will probably help, anything that is absolutely epic.

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Nyquil as it knocks me out. When I go for meds it is really bad. So when I use meds I don't want to wake up for 12-24 hours.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Sleep, beef-flavored ramen, and an endless loop of My Little Pony playing on my computer.

...is it weird that I suddenly wish I was sick so I could do that for a whole day?

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
Sit still in a hot shower for 15 minutes.
Doesn't work for general sickness, but it always cures my headaches.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
If you have a migraine have you tried 4head? I'm not sure if it's only available in the UK or not if you're not from here but if you are of you can get it anyway I recommend you try it. It's some kind of menthol resin or something that you can by in a roller or a strip. Apply it to your forehead (kinda self explanatory) and within seconds it soothes and relaxes your entire cranium. Your nervous system is pacified and your blood pressure returns to normal. In my personal experience as a migraine sufferer it works faster and better than pills. The only downside is that you have to keep re-applying it regularly for it to keep working but it's still not like it runs out quickly.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
My grandma would just tell me to rub some dirt on it when I was a kid... other than that we only had vicks vapor rub and that was it...<.<

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
I recommend as much sleep as possible, and remember to keep a glass of water at your bedside. Nothing worse than lying in bed extremely thirsty with a headache and not having anything to drink.

thefrizzlefry

Feb 20, 2009
Watching a self-programmed a Mystery Science Theater 3000 marathon whilst snuggling with something, preferably a plushy or significant other, but a pillow will do in a pinch.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
badgersprite said:
snip
and have thrown up what's left of last night's dinner. snip
If I throw up, I rehydrate with Pedialyte. Who cares if it's for kids, it brings me up in minutes! Much better than chicken soup.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Sorry to hear you're sick, hope you feel better soon. I suggest a lot of drinks, plus sleep. Food too, but stick to something relatively easy to eat.

As for me, I tend to just keep working and hope it goes away. Used this approach on a broken leg, pneumonia and a bunch of other things. In my defense, it wasn't my choice, so only about half of this is idiocy on my part.

JUGGERNAUTBITCH

May 20, 2011
sleep n tv. and moaning helps too :D.

btw what kind of migrane do you have? i have a rare one called migraine accompagnee. it doesn't happen a lot but i once lost controle over one side of my body. was scared as shit. it was at night so i decided to drive to the hospital. thought i had a stroke. doc told me it was a rare form of migraine.

wench

Braids of Fury!
May 1, 2008
thefrizzlefry said:
Watching a self-programmed a Mystery Science Theater 3000 marathon whilst snuggling with something, preferably a plushy or significant other, but a pillow will do in a pinch.
Pretty much exactly this for me. I'll alternate the MST with some UK comedians and the occasional weird monster movie. And ideally, kung pao chicken - which is sodding impossible to find in Vancouver, apparently.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
I drape myself across my couch and snuggle in for some Lord of the Rings. Maybe some ramen. Definitely a snuggle with my pillow pet. Not to mention a heaping helping of medication and whining.