The Best Multiplayer Mode In Gaming

cojo965

Jul 28, 2012
Now here is a fun one, what is the best multiplayer mode in gaming? My vote goes to Infestation from Aliens vs. Predator 2011. We have seen variations on Halo's zombie mode before, but in this, players are up against a single xenomorph. Sound lame? Well here's the catch, you better hope the player controlled marines around you are good at staying in a group or find yourselves fighting an ever growing horde of xenos. Every marine killed, no matter how, gets put on the xenomorph team. Still doesn't sound cool? Watch this: Yes that is the PC version but the Xbox 360 version is no less cool.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
For myself, Hardcore Search and Destroy from Call of Duty (one team defends two "bomb plant sites" while the attacking team attempts to plant a bomb on one of two said plant site. Hardcore removes the radar/HUD).

I have a very "early-in-the-movie" Rambo mentality where I sneak around and flank while my team-mates are fighting with the enemy. Silenced weapon, Sit-Rep (they always think their precious claymores will protect them...fools), constant crouching to minimize noise, etc.

There is no greater feeling than finding out that I'm in a six-on-one situation, taking the six enemies down, and doing my favorite one-liner afterwards: "Six on one? Hardly seemed fair for them at all"

Brendan Stepladder

May 21, 2012
Halo's Fatkid on a good Fatkid map. For those who haven't indulged in it here's how it goes. it's Halo zombies with quite a few twists. First of all, the first zombie is incredibly slow, invincible, and wields an impossibly powerful gravity hammer. While it is easy for survivors to outrun the Fatkid, they must do so by running down a linear obstacle course that the Fatkid can easily slog through using a combination of high jumps and brute force. All subsequent zombies are lightning fast, still dole out instant kills, but die if they so much as suffer a paper cut. It's fun watching everyone panic as the Fatkid draws near when you are struggling with an obstacle.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Matthew94 said:
Mode? Not that I played it often unless it was with bots, Virus mode in Timesplitters 2 is extremely fun, it's a shame it was never on PC and thus is dead today. RIP Timesplitters.

By that, I mean that if the game had online and was on PC, it may still have players today. If the series wasn't ended then it could be alive on XBL and the PSN today :/ Oh well

Online? I can't think of many so I will say the train-bomb mode in TF2, that is always a blast. Payload, that was it.
Damn ninja'd on virus mode.

I love it in future perfect on custom maps, with lockable doors and secert passages to trap or aid friends with.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
Deathmatch from Assassin's Creed Revelations. Slowly walking around the map desperately trying to find your target all the while hearing the whispers of your pursuer grow ever closer is an amazing adrenaline rush.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
-Pretty much anything AC related.
-I also like the Gun Game mode in Call of duty. It forces you to change gaming style.

However, who can compete with classic co-op?

Finbark

Jul 24, 2008
On-disc mode? I'd say most of the variations of infection from Halo. Infection on Swordbase was quite popular a couple months after Reach's release.
Rocket Race was great for co-op. I'm not sure if it was added back in after it was taken out in Halo 3.
Player made modes: Grifball was a blast, as were modes like The Maze (Infection variant, played on custom maps).

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
What's with all the infection? That was terribly balanced, easily exploitable, and just plain old filled with asshats.

My personal favorites tend to be the straight up deathmatch mode. That and the gun game from CS:S is fun too.

waj9876

Jan 14, 2012
The ones where your friend turns out to be the final boss. And you're the final boss for him. So just one game then.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Capture the Flag. As far as shooters go, it's got something for absolutely everybody, and if everyone plays their part, it's simply unbeatable.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Dark Souls' multiplayer I found to be rather innovative. Basically, you travel to other players' worlds and either help or hinder them.
Now aside from PvP, which on PS3 at least is really laggy and not that fun, the multiplayer is amazing stuff. Summoning two other players to beat the shit out of a boss feels great, and participating in jolly co-operation is always rewarding.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
I have to say resistance 2 co-op campaigns because I don't like to mix my story and my co-op experiences and I suck at competitive shooters

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Journey, hands down. Being almost completely unable to communicate with each other? Brilliant.

Yes I am serious. I'm kind of a grumpy misanthrope. Drawing a heart with my anonymous Journey buddy in the snow at the end of the game is one of my most heart-melting gaming memories.