The Best or Favorite Scythes in Video Games.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
You heard me. What's your favorite or what you consider the best scythe/scythe type weapons in games. Does not matter the genre. If the characters or things you play as has or can wield a scythe, all are welcome.

Nevan - Devil May Cry 3

An electric guitar that doubles as a scythe. The scythe part mostly comes in to play when you have Dante equipped to Sword Master

Chernbog - Bayonetta 2

A tri-bladed scythe that doubles as a rifle. Think of Ruby's scythe-rifle weapon, but even better.

Osiris - DmC (2013)

A bit mundane compared to the others, but this weapon is fun and useful.

Last edited:

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I'm a simple man. Give me an opportunity to praise something from Hades, and I'll do so.

Thanatos_smile.png

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Renne's Nemesis Rip from the Trails of Series, it just has a different feel when you see it in the hands of an innocent girl.

Screenshot_2021-04-25 Renne_Bright_(Sen_IV) webp (WEBP Image, 1923 × 1933 pixels) — Scaled (32%).png

She also does a lot of tricks with it like multiplying it and throwing it as a boomerang and using it like a chandelier of death.

Also honorable mention to Testament's more traditional but still super badass blood scythe:

Screenshot_2021-04-25 2223463-guilty_gear_100 jpg (JPEG Image, 1200 × 1676 pixels).png

Here's hoping he makes it back in GG Strive alongside Anji. Though hopefully in a less OP fashion than his latest iteration in +R lol.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Scythes are terrible and stupid weapons. That's why the only people who ever used them on a battlefield might have been peasants who couldn't afford a proper weapon.

It's a cutting weapon where the blade in on the "inside" of the weapon facing the wielder: it is sort of pulled around and towards the body, which makes it spectacularly ineffective in a fight and it wastes a load of its theoretical reach. It would also need a substantial backswing to be effective, which whilst in process would leave the user completely open to someone with a proper weapon like a spear just thrusting forward for an easy kill - after all, no carrying a shield with that clumsy two-hander. I guess you could sort of try to gouge someone with the point (like a pick), but it would need a lot of precision, the blade doesn't have much strength (especially with that curvature), and even then a substantial penetration would likely result in the blade getting stuck.

Some of the examples above are even worse. In some, the curvature of the blade is so extreme that it would accentuate all its flaws. Even where the cutting edge has been transferred to the "outside" away from the user, it's still a bizarre and stupid waste of a cutting edge that wouldn't be much use. With enough curvature towards the wielder, it would really sort of function more like a two-handed axe, except patently more rubbish (not least for the cartoonishly huge blade that would be hopelessly unwieldy).

Real military scythes did exist, and basically were just like glaives with the point as an extension of the haft rather than perpendicular to it, except with the blade curving foward instead of back, because it's a thousand times more sensible. Alternatively, if you wanted a weapon stabby, there's the aforementioned military pick (picks often observable opposite the blade / face of medieval battleaxes / warhammers).

So, in short, they are stupid and they suck.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
@Agema, I do thank you for the history lesson, but I made this thread to be fun. If you don't like it, fine. I don't know why you felt the need to make this big rant. You could've ignore the thread and save everyone's time.

Reactions: MrCalavera

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
@Agema, I do thank you for the history lesson, but I made this thread to be fun. If you don't like it, fine. I don't know why you felt the need to make this big rant. You could've ignore the thread and save everyone's time.
That rant is my idea of fun.

Reactions: Kwak

MrCalavera

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2020
Country
Poland
Scythes are terrible and stupid weapons. That's why the only people who ever used them on a battlefield might have been peasants who couldn't afford a proper weapon.

It's a cutting weapon where the blade in on the "inside" of the weapon facing the wielder: it is sort of pulled around and towards the body, which makes it spectacularly ineffective in a fight and it wastes a load of its theoretical reach. It would also need a substantial backswing to be effective, which whilst in process would leave the user completely open to someone with a proper weapon like a spear just thrusting forward for an easy kill - after all, no carrying a shield with that clumsy two-hander. I guess you could sort of try to gouge someone with the point (like a pick), but it would need a lot of precision, the blade doesn't have much strength (especially with that curvature), and even then a substantial penetration would likely result in the blade getting stuck.

Some of the examples above are even worse. In some, the curvature of the blade is so extreme that it would accentuate all its flaws. Even where the cutting edge has been transferred to the "outside" away from the user, it's still a bizarre and stupid waste of a cutting edge that wouldn't be much use. With enough curvature towards the wielder, it would really sort of function more like a two-handed axe, except patently more rubbish (not least for the cartoonishly huge blade that would be hopelessly unwieldy).

Real military scythes did exist, and basically were just like glaives with the point as an extension of the haft rather than perpendicular to it, except with the blade curving foward instead of back, because it's a thousand times more sensible. Alternatively, if you wanted a weapon stabby, there's the aforementioned military pick (picks often observable opposite the blade / face of medieval battleaxes / warhammers).

You're like that guy that goes into threads about giant mechas and only says how they're stupid, because tanks are more realistic.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy

You just have to factor in things like the scythe being made out of magical blood that absorbs lifeforce or being it telepathically controlled and magically duplicated so it behaves like a flying blender and then they start becoming a whole lot more practical.

I mean look at this. You can't do this with a glaive:

Reactions: Kwak

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
I mean look at this. You can't do this with a glaive:
Well...you can, because the argument is that you can't do that with a scythe as only the inside of the blade is the sharp bit (so spinning around and hitting people with the blunt sides of two isn't doing much).

Anyway, the obvious best scythe is one that compliments a hammer;

Ok ok, real answer, the scythe from Stardew Valley. Kills monsters, and you can gather food with it so... /thread

EDIT: word, cause me dumb

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Even then, the way peasants would actually use sythes in warfare was to remount the blade vertically (which a blacksmith could do fairly easily) so you'd end up with a kind of improvised polearm rather than a silly looking farming tool. As you say, this was adapted into actual purpose-built military scythes, often with extra features like guards and hooks.

1619375493231.png

Some martial arts manuals do depict people fighting with scythes in the normal position, but it seems to have been more of a joke or weird exercise for bored/drunk aristocrats, rather than a serious suggestion for anyone who might have to actually fight with a scythe.

1619375786706.png

Last edited:

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You do realize we have a complain/rant thread in the off-topic forum?
Yes, but then I wouldn't get the humorous absurdity of going into a thread on magical fantasy weaponry and trying to impose serious reality on it, so it would be much less fun for me.

Agema

Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
You're like that guy that goes into threads about giant mechas and only says how they're stupid, because tanks are more realistic.
Tanks are more realistic. Mechas don't work because...