The Big Divisive Question: Star Wars Or Star Trek?

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
The Big Divisive Question: Star Wars Or Star Trek?

Does your answer to this question say anything about you as a person? Today: examining the Star Wars fan. (Not personally, as a type. Come on.)

Read Full Article

AngelOfBlueRoses

The Cerulean Prince
Nov 5, 2008
If your answer to The Big Divisive Question is Star Wars, you are likely introspective, compassionate, attentive, and detail-oriented. You probably prefer fantasy to science fiction (more princesses, swords, empires, and sidekicks, please), and your interaction with the world is always with the greater consequences in mind. You're probably an interviewer's dream, a good listener, and ultimately someone I'd like to hang out with.

You pretty much summed me up in a nutshell, Elizabeth, and I do prefer Star Wars over Star Trek. It'll be interesting to see what you have to say tomorrow.

Also: Yay! We can finally comment! I've been waiting forever to do that!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I prefer Star Wars, though I'm not sure the description is apt.

Star Trek is probably the better science fiction, but I always enjoyed Star Wars more.

sinsfire

Nov 17, 2009
I think it has more to do with the person commenting and less on the choices. Its like the Beatles vs. The Rolling Stones. You can like one or the other but its impossible to like them both equally. I think Star Wars required a bit more fantasy/imagination to create the universe, while Star Trek was meant to show a possible future for the universe we inhabit (more the sci-fi route)

personally i just prefer the characters and archetypes in Star Wars, it made the experience much more enjoyable because there were fringe characters that weren't always just good or just evil.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I like them both, for different reasons. For me, asking which is better, Star Trek or Star Wars, is like asking which is better, The Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia They're both excellent, genre defining masterworks, but they're only superficially similar. It's why I was disappointed with the new Star Trek movie, even though, as a Summer action flick, it was excellent; the thing just smelled of Star Wars, and that does not sit right in the Star Trek universe. For the record, I'm one of those Star Trek fans who absolutely loves The Motion Picture, and even likes Star Trek V as the only Star Trek film aside from TMP to really seek out new life and go where no man has gone before. It sucked as a movie, but it was good Star Trek, and I think it might have been really good all the way around if Paramount had just let Shatner make the movie he wanted to.

My list of favorite Star Wars films is more conventional, with Empire easily topping the list. Expanded Universe novels from both series are favorites for Summer reading.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Star Trek is for children and people who hope that the better side of man will prevail while Star Wars say it won't we'll just do bad things on a grander scale and a few good people will either stop it or have justice done at the end of a pointy flashlight.

Look at the key difference you see in Star Trek and Star Wars. The Star Trek universe analog to religion is the Prime Directive (at least to the Federation) which is a rigid code of conduct concerning less advanced species while in Star Wars the Republic and Empire share technology but more likely than not enslave them and have an actual religion called the Force.

Besides that you run into the whole problem that greed fuels Star Wars universe be it for credits (that universes currency) or power and people do terrible thing for both while in Star Trek there is a currency used by some species but the Federation some how convinces people to work together for knowledge and self improvement. How I don't know.

Star Trek is clean and orderly and feels to me artificial while Star Wars is dirty and chaotic which is how life really is.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Pirate Kitty said:
Star Wars is just knights and religion with a new paint job. /yawn

I'll stick to Star-Trek.
Star Trek is C-Span with punching

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I wonder if age is a factor here? Star Trek debuted in 1973 as a TV series, while Star Wars debutted in the movie theatres in 1976. Both were pretty revolutionary at the time, and if you were an adult or at least a teanager back then you'd be able to judge them equally and have a good distinction. For anyone born during or after that time then wouldn't there be a strong bias towards Star Wars? That's the cooler and more kid friendly of the two, a timeless classic which we all would have watched and enjoyed before we were at an age to appreciate Star Trek. And by the time we were old enough to get into Star Trek it's no longer as revolutionary or new as it once was.

Personally I loved Star Wars starting as a kid, and for Star Trek as a teen was a big fan of The Next Generation... but that was the only series I liked, they're all actually fairly different. So for someone my age (near 30) I don't think it's a fair question because I don't see the two as being on equal standing to be compared with each other, like an older geek would

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
One thing to add:

Star Wars vs Star Trek is very much:

Individual vs Collective

In Star Trek, most if not all of the problems are solved by the teamwork of the crew and by collaboration with various allies. There is comparatively little characterization of each individual, instead focusing on the dynamic between them.

In Star Wars, it's the opposite. While there are relationships, the story focuses mainly on individuals and their own personal struggles and how they became intertwined within the story.

I'd elaborate further, but I'm freaking tired, may edit this tomorrow.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Star Wars here.

I say Elizabeth, I fall in love with you more and more each time you post something new.

And looky there, you live in the same state I do.

<<

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
RandV80 said:
I wonder if age is a factor here? Star Trek debuted in 1973 as a TV series, while Star Wars debutted in the movie theatres in 1973
Wait what? Try 1966 for the original Star Trek series and 1976 for A New Hope.

Basically it comes down to this:

Star Trek is based futuristic technology based in Science
Star Wars is based off Myth and Fantasy that is almost Magic

So the question here is Science vs Magic.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Imma Star Wars man, myself. And what you've described about me is almost right. But as for sci-fi vs fantasy I don't lean towards either. And maybe drop the compassionate bit, most of my actions are with the greater consequences in mind, sure, but the bottom line for me is how well will I be off after the situation resolves.

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I like them both, for different reasons. For me, asking which is better, Star Trek or Star Wars, is like asking which is better, The Lord of the Rings or The Chronicles of Narnia They're both excellent, genre defining masterworks, but they're only superficially similar. It's why I was disappointed with the new Star Trek movie, even though, as a Summer action flick, it was excellent; the thing just smelled of Star Wars, and that does not sit right in the Star Trek universe. For the record, I'm one of those Star Trek fans who absolutely loves The Motion Picture, and even likes Star Trek V as the only Star Trek film aside from TMP to really seek out new life and go where no man has gone before. It sucked as a movie, but it was good Star Trek, and I think it might have been really good all the way around if Paramount had just let Shatner make the movie he wanted to.

My list of favorite Star Wars films is more conventional, with Empire easily topping the list. Expanded Universe novels from both series are favorites for Summer reading.
I think the same way, why not both? For me it is more like most everything. But it also depends on what is in for me at the moment. Right now it is Doctor Who for me, well for four years since I discovered it, it has mostly been what I have been into watching. I couldn't believe I missed the longest running science fiction show in history. It was a few months after I found it that I learned that it had been around since 1963. Then I just exploded and did all I could to study the show and it's rich history, watching as many old episodes as I could, especially the first ever episode. I've bought most of the new seasons, and have 13 of the story arcs and 2 collections of the old series on DVD, though I hate saying old series because it is all connected. I also have three complete comic collections, one being my prized 23 issue set that Marvel did in the 80's. I also had a sonic screwdriver, but I will have to get a new one, I used the other one so much that it broke.

But yeah, that is what I am into at the moment 75% of my interest power. But to show what else I liked in the sci-fi realm. I of course like Star Trek(everything: except the last movie, it is an abomination in my eyes) and Star Wars. Before Doctor Who, I was crazy on Stargate, I own the special edition of the movie the inspired the tv series, all of Stargate SG-1,and the first two seasons of Atlantis. I'm ashamed to admit that I still watch Stargate Universe. I was just curious when things were actually going to pick up and when a real plot would unfold, well it finally happened with the last episode. It is about time, it took them one and a half seasons to do it. All they have to do now is get off the Battlestar Galactica(Hate BG) styling(camera movements like a love sick dog deciding what person to go to) by switching back to a real filming method like from SG-1. Also the can drop the soap opera stories, love triangles and "oh I have to tell you it's your baby, oh the baby didn't make it, oh the baby is alive because the nice unseen aliens teleported it from my womb to a prefect planet".

Once they drop that they will have a real show, proper Stargate series. Enough of the relationships and more pew pew space battle action.

It is pretty bad when in one of the recent episodes where the Colonel had a dream about the ship getting blown to smithereens, I actually jumped for joy saying, "Yes! Yes! The show is over!!! The all died, ha ha ha!!!"

--------
Though while I like both, if I had to choose between Star Wars or Star Trek, I would choose Star Trek, if fits more with what I hope for with future technology.

But not limiting my choices. Doctor Who beats everything ever.