The Big Picture: A Nerd By Any Other Name

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
That was a highly interesting video, i wish the video's were longer.

On the subject of nerds and sports fans, yes i agree they have plenty of similarities, and for all intents and purposes sports fans and sports nerds are synonymous.

But there one crucial difference between nerds and sports nerds: Sports have always been the bastions of male macho testosterone fueled competition. Nerds arn't macho and competitive, instead many nerd activities require a good deal of imagination and intelligence.

I know i'm generalising here, but i'm trying to pin down the key difference between the two sides, and i think it's down to machoism.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
This may well be the first video I would say fits to be under the title of "The Big Picture" and it wasn't bad either.

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
someone needs to tell fashion obssessed people they're nothing but a bunch of goddamn clothes nerds too. got 50 pairs of near indistiguishable jeans you paid 300 apiece for? you're a fucking jeans collector and just as sad as the scrawny pale looking dude with his room full of limited edition gundam models.

SFR said:
I have always hated it when a sports fan refers to the team they're supporting as "we". You don't play in the God damn team. You have no influence on the team. They don't even know you. I'm a Valve fan, but when they release a game, I don't say "We just released a game!" Why? Because if I did, I'd sound like a fucking idiot. Guess what you sound like when doing that with sport teams?!*

*The answer is "fucking idiots."
oh man i fucking hate that too, mitchell and webb have a great sketch about it i'll see if i can dig it up.

there you go.

Ruptuk

Nov 6, 2010
I like I need to say a very English 'Here here!!!' :) We have the same problem in the UK with 'soccer'. /sigh

*Doffs cap to Bob*

k-ossuburb

Jul 31, 2009
I'd suspect that this has already been said but I really can't be bothered to check.

The fundamental difference is mostly to do with each fandom's culture. Nerd culture is mostly introverted and very protective of itself due to the public scorn it receives, whereas the sports fans are the exact opposite.

I could illustrate this by mentioning that when you put the words "sports" and "nerds" together I found myself surprisingly offended for a moment as if they're not worthy to set foot on our territory.

We're very similar, sure, but we're diametrically opposed and have been for years, the two fandoms can never be compatible because whenever a nerd thinks of a sports fan he or she will instantly think of all those miserable P.E. lessons and every jock who teased us at school because of our nerdiness. The same can be said of the sports fan, they might be similar but when they're introduced to anything on our side of the fence and anyone who appreciates it they will automatically think of the nerdy kid that always let their team down and never showed any enthusiasm for their particular passion.

I'm willing to admit that they have some form of nerdy behaviour and the parallels are present but us nerds can't even settle differences in our own camp, let alone with one that we'd generally never want to be associated with.

There are parallels I could draw between the Xbox 360 and the PS3 since they both have a very similar games catalogue, but if I ever typed that one was better than the other you'll instantly see where people's allegiances lie. It's pretty much the same thing

I don't think I've managed to articulate my reasons as to why it's highly unlikely for sports fans and nerds to cohabit with each other in perfect harmony. I'd even agree that it can happen in some cases, but hopefully I've outlined some contributing factors. We're just too psychologically, socially, culturally and intellectually incompatible to form a satisfactory cohesion.

fundayz

Feb 22, 2010
MovieBob is just so dense. He thinks he's making some great points(they are interesting sometimes), when in reality he missed the point from the very beginning.

Let me clarify something, a nerd is not labelled by what activities he enjoys. A nerd is labelled by their personality. That's the reason why "nerdy" stuff happens to be enjoyable in the mainstream and obsession over other stuff is not seen as nerdy.

The reason why some things are "nerdy" is because nerds, that is socially maladjusted individuals, use them as a shelter from normal social interaction.

To prove my point, here's a list of "nerdy" things and how they reflect their social problems:
-school work = time working by oneself
-books = time reading by oneself
-offline videogames = time playing, mainly, by oneself
-online videogames = virtual interaction avoids social cues such as facial expressions, tone of voice, body language, social status, etc.
-role playing games = social interactions only between equally maladjusted individuals(in general)

P.S. The difference between football fans and any nerds is that, although equaly meaningless, sports are real events. The adventures of *fantasy hero X* aren't.
People wearing jerseys are wearing "costumes" of real people, doing impressive real life things, for real life rewards. Wearing a Star Trek costume is just dressing up as an imaginary character.

laxduck

Jul 12, 2010
milkkart said:
someone needs to tell fashion obssessed people they're nothing but a bunch of goddamn clothes nerds too. got 50 pairs of near indistiguishable jeans you paid 300 apiece for? you're a fucking jeans collector and just as sad as the scrawny pale looking dude with his room full of limited edition gundam models.

SFR said:
I have always hated it when a sports fan refers to the team they're supporting as "we". You don't play in the God damn team. You have no influence on the team. They don't even know you. I'm a Valve fan, but when they release a game, I don't say "We just released a game!" Why? Because if I did, I'd sound like a fucking idiot. Guess what you sound like when doing that with sport teams?!*

oh man i fucking hate that too, mitchell and webb have a great sketch about it i'll see if i can dig it up.

there you go.
Rage much bro?

If you'd go back and read my comment I explain that sports organizations try their damnedest to make fans buy into the "we" and "us" mentality of being involved in the team. Hell, my local football club has billboards all over the metro area that say "We are not fans. We are FC Dallas!" Get over yourself and realize it's a culture you don't know much about so you should stop judging it and raging over it, bro.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Bob, honestly, don't tell me you've forgotten all those times being stuffed into lockers (back when you could fit in one..=P..joking) by the kind of people that you now wondering what makes them so different?

I see you used a ROTN pictures for this weeks episode, maybe you need to rewatch that movie and remember why...lol

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
laxduck said:
milkkart said:

SFR said:

there you go.
Rage much bro?

If you'd go back and read my comment I explain that sports organizations try their damnedest to make fans buy into the "we" and "us" mentality of being involved in the team. Hell, my local football club has billboards all over the metro area that say "We are not fans. We are FC Dallas!" Get over yourself and realize it's a culture you don't know much about so you should stop judging it and raging over it, bro.
when did i rage, i just said i hate it because its stupid? you realise thats not me in the video right?
and i know plenty about it, both schools i went to were heavy into the whole sports team culture thing so i've had plenty of exposure to it.

you know why they have those billboards and encourage it? they make money off you. other than that they couldn't care less about you.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
BlueInkAlchemist said:
I tried running a fantasy football team this year, but I couldn't run it and a D&D campaign at the same time. One tabletop RPG at a time, please.
I ran 2 fantasy football teams this year, going for 3 next year! :)

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
I finally got a chance to watch this week's Big Picture and have to say that I loved it. I wanted to pick out one example, about table top RP and fantasy football, which I think is the main difference and why there is two distinct groups: real life vs. not real life. A lot of the sports nuts I know played sports while growing up and usually played right through high school (one of them being me). How many people do we know that grew up trying to be a wizard or sword wielding barbarian (yes, Conan is amazing)? Perhaps that could be the link that the "nerd" culture is missing in this equation?

As my example, I introduced the some of my friends back in the day to Magic: The Gathering. I really enjoyed playing Magic but was brought up enjoying Lord of the Rings and Star Wars as well. My parents didn't push any of this but I gravitated towards it on my own. My friends on the other hand really didn't find anything sci-fi or magic remotely interesting. However, they were nice enough to give it a try and after a couple games, they were done. They weren't against it, they just didn't find it interesting. We then went back to chatting about sports, movies, etc, etc. A difference in personal preference from what could possibly be their childhood molded them into their likes and dislikes for years to come. Perhaps?

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
As a combination of nerd and sports nerd (see username), I appreciate this video. Thank you Sir Chipman for the enlightenment.

Branches

A Flawed Logical Conundrum
Oct 30, 2008
I don't agree completely, but it's easy to make the connection. Sports is athletics and as such is treated as a semi-violent tournament of blood. It makes it personal when you include cities, counties, and/or states in it. It is the modern equivalent of tribal warfare, no matter how insane that sounds. People are born, live, and die with their perspective teams. It's just a way of growing up. You always rooted for the Giants because their city was your city. No matter how many people they ended up trading away. I don't want to make the "They are the heroes of Yor" argument, but in the end there are some people with their face so far into they don't know what the hell is going on in the real world. Which, come on. Tell me you don't have that WoW or DnD friend. Granted, You can be like "yeah made level 30 in New Vegas" and they say "Giants won the world series" and still kinda feel better about that.

I get that it's easy to dismiss sports and jocks as a parallel and similar pariah, but even then that's just being ignorant of another persons favorite cultures. I've got friends who don't like sports, and I've got friends who don't like Gaming, but in the end we're all still friends. We don't take it literally when we start making fun of people and if we don't care, our eyes will gloss over and we'll just respond with "Yeah, cool, sure"

Whereas nerddom would have an anthropological stand point of being a bookkeeper or a medieval monastery director. Also, Nerddom isn't some sort of oddball culture. Everyone in some way shape or form embraces a part of Nerddom. I myself am a Video Gaming, mushroom cloud laying motherfucka, but I also embrace small parts of other cultures. Stoner culture, Sports, Mainstream Media, politics.

I truly believe that we see these lines and divisions in what we all like because the outspoken try to speak for the vast majority of their particular sub-segment of their culture. Like how Cliff Bleszinski speaks to his Macho, douche bag contingent of retard gamers. Or Chris Roberts speaks to the old-but-still-good contingent. Or how Steve Jobs speaks for the i-don't-feel-like-googling-this-windows-problem sheep.

Easiest way to avoid this argument? "I like a lot of shit. And it's all really good to me."

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Kaytastrophe said:
Interesting article, but it brings about a larger issue my friends and I have discussed before. The difference between the nerd and the geek:

I think one of the problems is the connection between nerd and geek. To me nerds are the guys who spend their free time doing math equations and science experiments and such. Geeks are on the other hand more of what bob is talking about, the guy who for a lack of a better word obsesses about more pop culture kind of stuff (like movies, video games, comic books, and even sportfans). So for example I am a history student at university, I do spend some of my free time reading history and such. That would make me a history nerd, at the same time though I really enjoy video games and board games which would be more of my geek side. So in short I see nerds more as someone who spends time working in areas that move humanity forward where as the geek is more of an individual who is very passionate about their hobbies which tend to have less of an impact on humanity as a whole. Neither is better than the other but I do feel as though these two terms carry different context.
My personal definition is that both geeks and nerds obesses over things but nerds obssess over things that don't matter and won't amount to anything so much so that they have to pull money out of there wallets to particpate in it. Meanwhile geeks obessess over things that can become something that matter to the point to where you can be paid to do it. And let's not forget the dorks after all they are part of this trinity. They have the same obessions too but it never amounts to anything and they would sooner sell it if it meant they could be popular.

imperialus

Apr 20, 2009
Kaytastrophe said:
I think one of the problems is the connection between nerd and geek. To me nerds are the guys who spend their free time doing math equations and science experiments and such. Geeks are on the other hand more of what bob is talking about, the guy who for a lack of a better word obsesses about more pop culture kind of stuff (like movies, video games, comic books, and even sportfans).
Easy distinction. Nerds make money. Geeks don't.

De Ronneman

Dec 30, 2009
WOW

just, wow. I mean, like, totally, WOW. That was nothing short of GENIUS! I never thought about it that way, but it's true. It all sorts out that way! Right down to the furries!

Bob, you're still my hero;)

And the Twilight=yankees joke made me stop the video to laugh:)

whycantibelinus

Sep 29, 2009
SFR said:
Leximodicon said:
You did make a ton of great points. Though, I think why "nerds" and "jocks" will never eat at the same table is because before the Wii, video games, reading comics, and watching movies were far more sedentary than playing sports.
I think he's more referring to the sport fans that only watch the sports and don't really play them... You know, the actual fun part of sports. In any case, the epitome of both sides are bat shit fucking crazy.

If I work for the San Diego Padres and am a huge fan is it ok if I refer to the team as a collective we? Because I do.