The Big Picture: A Nerd By Any Other Name

Tennou486

Dec 26, 2008
I've seen this too. Its madness how sports people are not grouped in with the more accepted "nerd" group. When I was in high school, I did a broadcasting project about computers and everyone gave me funny looks. While at the same time, 9 other people did some overly detailed thing about the NBA and no one batted an eye. This double standard has to stop.

Flying Dagger

Apr 14, 2009
I'd say the major difference IS the level of social awkwardness.
If you get a group of people who are socially able, and one guy who's socially inept, it's obvious that he's going to get victimised.

Also worth nothing sports fans are decidedly more common then nerds.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Wow. That was probably the best episode of The Big Picture yet. I was not a big fan of this show before, but I am going to keep an eye on it now. It will be interesting to see if he can manage too keep up the quality of writing found in this episode in upcoming episodes.

Danik93

Aug 11, 2009
You're description of the wonderful world exists! It's called Sweden (At least in my town) I go in the same class as the Handball team (the Jocks).We go from talking about how awesome that goal Messi scored, to how much ass Druidz kick in the HoN finale against Fnatic and from there we talk about how awesome the story is in Mass Effect!

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
HAAAAAHAHAAAAHAHAHAAAAHAAHAAHAHAHA!!!!
ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT!!!
Your best episode yet Bob. (of this new show at least) I just wish that the only people that watch this show weren't all the "video game nerd" type. I agree with everything that was said in this episode and it is something that I have never even considered. Truly an eye opening segment....you're absolutely right. I love it.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Kaytastrophe said:
Interesting article, but it brings about a larger issue my friends and I have discussed before. The difference between the nerd and the geek:

I think one of the problems is the connection between nerd and geek. To me nerds are the guys who spend their free time doing math equations and science experiments and such. Geeks are on the other hand more of what bob is talking about, the guy who for a lack of a better word obsesses about more pop culture kind of stuff (like movies, video games, comic books, and even sportfans). So for example I am a history student at university, I do spend some of my free time reading history and such. That would make me a history nerd, at the same time though I really enjoy video games and board games which would be more of my geek side. So in short I see nerds more as someone who spends time working in areas that move humanity forward where as the geek is more of an individual who is very passionate about their hobbies which tend to have less of an impact on humanity as a whole. Neither is better than the other but I do feel as though these two terms carry different context.
I guess I've always thought of the difference between geeks and nerds as being the same as the difference between the sort of sports fan described in this video vs. someone that just likes to watch sports games and root for their favorite team. Like, geeks like sci-fi and fantasy and video games and comics and all that, but they aren't nerds about it.

constantcompile

Sep 9, 2010
I find it hilarious that there have already been objections to the comparisons. Thank you, objectors, for proving his point.

That said, I think the chances of getting sports nerds to play nice with all-purpose nerds are about as likely as getting Star Trek fans to play nice with Star Wars fans, or getting Christians to play nicely with Muslims (just calling it as I see it, folks).

Like any two cultures on the planet, the mere fact that they are human probably means they have more similarities and even parallels than either realizes. Unfortunately, the "us vs. them" mindset is simply too easy to get caught up in.

jaketheripper

Jan 27, 2010
haha im glad to have more bob in my week, i agree with the majority of things the come out of his mouth :)

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
It's interesting isn't it?

I'm a nerd, my brother isn't.

I read sites like the Escapist and repair machines for a living (computers), I have a weekly game of D&D at a local gaming club, I keep up on the latest information about games coming out, the latest about books, tv shows, and movies I like, the newest tech coming out (computers).

My brother reads sites like ESPN and repairs machines for a living (cars), he plays a weekly game of Fantasy Footy at a local bar, he keeps up on the latest information about his favourite sports, who is up and coming, who is retiring, who might be traded, the weather conditions, past performances (ugg he bugged me write him a spreadsheet for his stats), all the while keeping up on the latest tech coming out (cars).

So why am I considered a Nerd and he isn't? I'm use to it, I embraced being a nerd and stopped being angry about it 15 years ago, but if you called my brother a nerd he'd likely punch you in the face.

May 28, 2009
The points made in this video have crossed my mind of numberous occations. Great vid.

Sports + "nerd things" = Bloodbowl

Anyone game :p

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
Here is a crucial difference between sports fans and nerds: nerds are far more insular and anti-social. Sure, they have gatherings and conventions and anime film nights amoung friends and stuff, but they don't tend to be quite as outgoing as sports fans. You'll see sports fans in their masses in bars and in the streets living it up, whilst nerds keep to their living rooms.

Yeah I'm generalising, but you know what I mean.

And to my knowledge, fantasy football is considered fairly nerdy if you are seriously into it and not a kid.

SFR

Mar 26, 2009
tkioz said:
It's interesting isn't it?

I'm a nerd, my brother isn't.

I read sites like the Escapist and repair machines for a living (computers), I have a weekly game of D&D at a local gaming club, I keep up on the latest information about games coming out, the latest about books, tv shows, and movies I like, the newest tech coming out (computers).

My brother reads sites like ESPN and repairs machines for a living (cars), he plays a weekly game of Fantasy Footy at a local bar, he keeps up on the latest information about his favourite sports, who is up and coming, who is retiring, who might be traded, the weather conditions, past performances (ugg he bugged me write him a spreadsheet for his stats), all the while keeping up on the latest tech coming out (cars).

So why am I considered a Nerd and he isn't? I'm use to it, I embraced being a nerd and stopped being angry about it 15 years ago, but if you called my brother a nerd he'd likely punch you in the face.
I think you answered your own problem right there. Call him a nerd, have him punch you in the face, and then get him sent to jail for assault. You won't be a bigger loser than he is if he's made somebody's ***** in prison.

I think both types of lifestyles should be embraced, as both a top of the line computer and a fast car are required to preform a successful heist.

Corey Longest

Apr 27, 2010
wearing a jersey is actually really different from wearing a costume. the reason why is if the a person were to wear an entire starfleet uniform they would get just as much crazy looks as a guy wearing and entire football uniform (shoulder pads, jersey, helmet, football pants, cleats).
the jersey is one component of the uniform so it doesnt seem so radical. the same would happen if a person were to wear just the top from a starfleet uniform, people prolly wouldnt notice.

Trucken

Jan 26, 2009
That was fucking brilliant. I've never thought about the similarities between sportsfans and, hm, nerds.