The Big Picture: A Nerd By Any Other Name

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
I tried getting along with a sports fan of equal caliber one time. The next thing I knew, I'd been stuffed into a locker and my bum was sore.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
I tried running a fantasy football team this year, but I couldn't run it and a D&D campaign at the same time. One tabletop RPG at a time, please.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Kind of like how I get pissed off at the Leaf's for not training their forwards what to do in their own end, wander over to my computer and fire up one of my GoG titles? I am the nexus!

Verrenxnon

Nov 17, 2009
I just wanted to say, Bob, that this was easily the best of this column's editorials so far.
Your thesis was sound and interesting, your essay was on-topic, and your conclusion was appropriately inspiring.

Well done.

Herr Wozzeck

Oct 23, 2009
HankMan said:
If Yankees fans are Twi-hards(and they SOOOO are), then what are Red Sox fans?
hmmmmm...
They're the Harry Potter fans. ;)

In other news, this was really good. Great points were brought up, and that bit at the end was hilarious.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
You did make a ton of great points. Though, I think why "nerds" and "jocks" will never eat at the same table is because before the Wii, video games, reading comics, and watching movies were far more sedentary than playing sports.

Roamin11

Jan 23, 2009
The last line made me double over for a good few minutes.... That would be a wonderful world wouldn't it?

pigmy wurm

Nov 18, 2009
I have a friend that was heavily into basketball in the ways you mentiond, not dressing up, but analyzing stats and stuff and we got him to accept that he was a nerd. Granted he also read Spiderman comics but in many ways he was less nerdy about that (he would buy a trade every once and a while) than he was about his interest in sports (spending large amounts of time each day looking over the stats in the sports section).

Jim-a-Lim

Jan 10, 2009
That was incredibly insightful, very strong comparison I hadn't dawned on before. Nice one Bob, I'm enjoying this series.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
bob makes a good mario
(BTW was there a screen shot for a ghostbuster cartoon in there, you know the one with th gril and the spilt chemicals)

Kaytastrophe

Jun 7, 2010
Interesting article, but it brings about a larger issue my friends and I have discussed before. The difference between the nerd and the geek:

I think one of the problems is the connection between nerd and geek. To me nerds are the guys who spend their free time doing math equations and science experiments and such. Geeks are on the other hand more of what bob is talking about, the guy who for a lack of a better word obsesses about more pop culture kind of stuff (like movies, video games, comic books, and even sportfans). So for example I am a history student at university, I do spend some of my free time reading history and such. That would make me a history nerd, at the same time though I really enjoy video games and board games which would be more of my geek side. So in short I see nerds more as someone who spends time working in areas that move humanity forward where as the geek is more of an individual who is very passionate about their hobbies which tend to have less of an impact on humanity as a whole. Neither is better than the other but I do feel as though these two terms carry different context.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
Well. A root of the difference may be that sports trivia is based on real life historical events. Science fiction-fantasy-etc trivia is based on, well, fiction events. There IS a difference, the epic story of a football match that was won by the unknown underdogs is more easy to feel related to that the story that happend far far away both in space and time, and more specifically on the writer's mind.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
So the big picture is that we all need to stop being fan-boys (or girls) and start having more sex? Ya know, I kinda like this idea!

Actually this is probably one of the best things I have seen in a while. Great points and comparisons.