The Big Picture: A Nerd By Any Other Name

mythil

Nov 14, 2010
Nope, anything is pretty much the same when you get to that level. You're replacing "like" with "fan".

Just by changing one word in a sentence makes a big impact "I like comic books" to "I'm a comic book fan" or "I like sports" to "I'm a sports fan".

Once you become a fan(fanatic) then the subject matter is irrelevant. I play different role playing games and have a published game book, though I'm an amateur kick-boxer and I play hockey *shrugs*

Clonekiller

Dec 7, 2010
Ha! Nerds are everywhere! Maybe nerdom is rather typical after all.

P.S. What's with Movie Bob and sex? He's been on that for like, three weeks.

Tremp10k

Aug 23, 2009
OH boy did the Pats beat the Jets up and down the field for 4 quarters FUCK YEA NEW ENGLAND

awatkins

Oct 17, 2008
HAHAHA
Bob, you're existence is unparalleled.
That was some awesome comparison. I think you missed one tho; LARP = 'lets play some fut ball in the back-yard!' Or perhaps any non major-league with paying members.
Oh, and another! Any kind of 'nerd' trading card game = any professional card trading sport.

roostuf

Dec 29, 2009
Bob one word...genius.

That is a valid point man so the next time some punk-ass sport fan says "your nerd for liking warhammer" ill remember what you said and say to them that...your..a..nerd too?

Huh now that i think about i'd probably punch them in the face, still good point though.

mhitman

Sep 10, 2008
Honestly at my school everyone thats really into sports are also really into videogames. This of course only applies to the older students who are mature enough to not hide their inner nerd.

Tremp10k

Aug 23, 2009
Oh boy did the Pats be the Jets up and down the field also i fit the mix i love sports and am i total Nerd as are alot of my friends

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
A Nerd By Any Other Name

This week, Bob examines parallel nerds.

Watch Video
Yeah, wow. I've made the exact same jersey-to-scifi-costume comparison before a few issues back when we were talking about abandoning space. The conclusion I've come to as to the difference?

Imagination.

The more imagination an endeavor requires, the more "childish" it is. We pretend it's about practicality, but (as you also pointed out) sports aren't practical. I'm looked at as a goof for enjoying fencing, but I'm far more likely to end up in a swordfight than in a situation in which my only hope of survival is kicking an oblong balloon through two uprights a fair distance away.

When my dad bought the same equipment Tiger Woods was using for golf, it was because a tiny voice in his head wanted him to pretend to be Tiger Woods. That's imagination talking. And we're forgetting the immense value it has in our ability to improve ourselves and our world... or even solve basic problems. How can the world get better if there's no one with the ability to imagine what that "better world" looks like?

Really, the difference between "sports nerds" and "nerd nerds" is the difference between the child that swims in the deep end and the child that sticks near the side. Keeping one hand on the edge allows the child to act like the pool is shallower than it really is. It doesn't change reality, it just changes the amount of control the child feels they have over reality. Meanwhile, the other child is able to fully enjoy the depth of that other end of the pool, but at greater risk.

The negative traits ascribed to nerds are, to my mind, a result of how they've been treated. We tend to think that nerdy people like nerdy things. I think the opposite is true--I think that people who like things that are considered "nerdy" are treated in a way that causes them to, eventually, behave like nerds. Introverted, even anti-social. Awkward. Obsessed. All of that stuff.

People don't understand the significance of the "nerd subject matter." Why does Spiderman's height or weight matter? They conveniently forget to ask why Babe Ruth's home run record means a damn thing, of course. But it's not about the subject itself.

It's about immersing yourself in something. It's about giving your imagination some exercise. And yeah, it's about entertainment and having fun with something. But part of why we can enjoy it is that it's not "practical" or "useful." It's not work, it's play. And God help us, the world would be better off if adults would play more (and admit to doing it).

mac88

Oct 4, 2010
I think a lot of people are confusing jocks and sports nerds. A sports nerd would be someone who knows the how many yards after the completion Randy Moss had during his second year in the NFL. A jock would be Randy Moss. He probably doesn't care about his yards after completion.

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
MovieBob said:
A Nerd By Any Other Name

This week, Bob examines parallel nerds.

Watch Video
I completely agree with Bob's assessment, but I *do* know what the difference is.

People dressing up as Brett Favre, are dressing up as a *real* person. The continual schismatic line between the two groups is that sports fans are celebrating people of actual prowess in a physical venue. A Much better example would be comparing sports to professional gaming. If I wore a 'Slayers Boxer' costume in Korea, I'd probably get similar reactions.

My general thought has been that a 'normal' is really a person who limits their aspirations. They only aspire to being a person that exists, and they have read about. As opposed to a nerd who could aspire to be a person that has been made up, and is purely fictional.

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
Was gonna say that it's because nerd culture has gone mainstream and enveloped an equal share of 'non-geek' nerds (people who don't fit the Asperger's theory paradigm.) But then you went on the sports tirade and my point became so irrelevant that I can't even remember what it was in response to and I don't care. I'm about to send this to 100+ people and see if they don't rage about it or just die from laughter.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I don't know, I don't care much for sports, and I'm a nerd. Also, to me at least, sports fan = jocks and jocks = bullies that beat up nerds and take their lunch money.

Sort of. What you say makes a lot of sense, but sports fans seems to be mostly what you call "douchebags". You know, the same guys you claim are the worse people imaginable, the kinds of people who genuinely like The Expendables and the Transformers movies and troll Xbox Live?

albear

May 18, 2009
'even their own furries' LMAO :D

best one of these so far, and some very good points made and food for though shoveled onto my plate for me to devour......maybe later, ill heat it up,.............im hungry :(

Vorocano

Jan 8, 2009
I'm also seeing a general sentiment of residual butthurt of nerds toward jocks.

Nearly half of the comments here are either strongly implying or outright saying that sports fans are big dumb brutes that spent their whole lives stuffing nerds into lockers. Just because that was what happened to you when you were in high school doesn't mean that's the way all sports fans have become. Even the high school linebacker has to grow up sometime; just because he doesn't give swirlies anymore doesn't mean he's stopped being a football fan.

It seems that most geeks and nerds around here forget that for every beefed-up quarterback with a cheerleader on his arm, there's a glasses wearing geek that delights in speaking in impenetrable jargon. Both are looking to make the other feel inferior.

Kinokohatake

Jul 11, 2010
Pariahwulfen said:
MovieBob said:
Browncoats: Raiders fans
oh HELL no, the Browncoats are clearly Cleveland fans, the Raiders fans are simply mocking the "Dawg Pound".

As a side note, my Brownies won last weekend.
No. Raiders fans are the 501 Stormtroopers.

Browns fans can have the browncoats. Now what about us Bengal fans?