The Big Picture: All The World Is Waiting

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
All The World Is Waiting

This week, Bob looks at the origins of our favorite Amazonian.

Watch Video

righthanded

Dec 5, 2007
I feel like this show is finally getting good after a kind of crappy start. Also, I could do without any of the reverb/pitch shifting effects for emphasis--it's lame and unnecessary.

BlueInkAlchemist

Ridiculously Awesome
Jun 4, 2008
There's definitely an interesting story to be had here - it's a shame Warner Brothers can't be bothered with good writers and film-makers for their superhero gigs outside of Christopher Nolan.

Larmo

May 20, 2008
I would so see that movie, Wonder woman, a feminist in the 40's, that would be a trip.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I'm guessing that William would be rolling in his grave if he knew what happen to Wonder Woman after his death and the current state she is in at the moment.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
another reason she hasn't had a movie: that costume is just too damn silly when worn in live-action. If they went for a sort of centurion look that'd probably work.

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
BlueInkAlchemist said:
There's definitely an interesting story to be had here - it's a shame Warner Brothers can't be bothered with good writers and film-makers for their superhero gigs outside of Christopher Nolan.
Pair Nolan up with Gaiman for a HBO/Band of Brothers like series dealing with The Sandman or American Gods. Even Neverwhere might do well in such a setting, even if it has been done as a BBC series before.

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
They have made a good movie out of her origin, it just happened to be animated and direct-to-DVD. But seriously, I highly recommend the recent Wonder Woman animated movie for anyone even remotely interested in the character. Also, Nathan Fillion plays Steve Trevor, so it has that going for it, too.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
Escapist, I don't mind the huge border ads, I do mind not being able to go back and click comments without reloading the whole page.

Wandrecanada

Oct 3, 2008
Another fantastic topic with another fantastic video. I keep having to show these to my girlfriend (who is incidentally the comic geek between us; see maidofmight.net) and she devours them. Keep doing great work Bob!

Ashoten

Aug 29, 2010
Well Wonder Women is my favorite female super hero. But she better look out for Pepper Pots whom thanks to some handy work from Tony is now Iron Women.

P.S. I know her real hero name is "Rescue" but I just don't like it

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Thank you for not playing the "Her new costume hates America" card. That was some of the weakest sauce I've seen people bring to a debate in a long time.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
MovieBob said:
All The World Is Waiting

This week, Bob looks at the origins of our favorite Amazonian.

Watch Video
Eh, I didn't mind the costume change.

The original idea of women's empowerment, at least through Marston's presentation, reads more like male wish fulfillment that pays lip service to women's rights. Basically, wrap the story around how women can be strong and cast of chains and blah blah blah... and use that as an excuse to put some eye candy in there for the dudes. An island full of (exclusively) beautiful women untouched by men? Loads of bondage? A superhero built out of legs and cleavage?

I really don't think comics have found the balance between presenting a woman's independent sexuality as power... and just exploiting the sexuality of women with superpowers. Just because a woman's boobs are the source of her power over us as men doesn't mean that they're the rightful symbol of her strength.

(Don't get me wrong. I like boobs. But I also understand wanting to match Wonder Woman's appearance to her alleged ideals.

MaraJade03

Jan 14, 2010
Wasn't there a time when she was recon to not being a goddess of some sort, but to being some professional assassin/mercenary taught by some old man or something? Sadly Wonder Woman gets jerked around a lot. I hope one day they get around to doing a movie for her. Hell Even a Justice League would cover it just because she is one of the big three. Or even an animated series on Wonder Woman would be cool. I mean Superman had one and Batman has had like...a lot. At least they did that DC animated Movie for her but I wish there was more.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
Then it happens, the Wonder Woman film is announced and the reigns are given to...

...and we weep...

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Great episode, it was cool to find out about WW's creators.

I was hoping you go into some more about the symbolism of the rest of her gear!

MatParker116

Feb 4, 2009
The reason there hasn't been a Wonder Woman movie is the same reason there hasn't been a good Superman game the characters don't fit the media. With Wonder Woman the costume is ridiculous and nothing outside the origin story makes a good film, with Superman and games it's Superman being Superman.

tkioz

Fussy Fiddler
May 7, 2009
I knew almost all of that, but it was still interesting to hear Bob's take on it (normally don't care much for anything other then his movie reviews tbh); and frankly I've always been more interested in the story behind the making of Wonder Woman then the Wonder Woman comics, she's an interesting character, but I only ever really cared when she was part of the Big Three (Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman) of DC (though the same could be said of Superman), the interaction between a immortal warrior, a super powered pacifist, and a paranoid genius always interested me.