The Big Picture: All The World Is Waiting

WarpGhost

Jan 5, 2009
Wow, and I thought the fuss about the costume change was because of nerds losing access to titties. Now I actually see how relevant it was to the character. Also yes, I can see how he pulled off double-whammy. Ironically I bet the change was in part to move to a look for fictional women that placates the feminist movement! Nice episode.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
As someone who isn't terribly into comics, especially not DC, I don't get why people hate her new costume. Maybe the whole deal with a swimsuit in the colors of the American flag had some relevance in the '40s, but to me it's always looked ridiculous. The new costume looks like something you can take at least somewhat seriously.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Primus1985 said:
Bob....You really need to take a course in DC history bub.

The first Wonder Woman was Queen Hippolyta who had traveled back in time to the 1940's and taken up her daughters mantle after her actions lead to Diana's death..

Also...WTF her bracelets, tiara, and lasso where forged by the gods to protect her and where givin as rewards for her beating out all other amazons in combat. They wherent chains.
The origin described in the video is the original one from Marston's original run on the title, a lot of the details have since changed. Stephen Hawking couldn't keep functional track of DC history, at this point ;)

Hippolyta time-traveling to the 40s was a late-90s retcon from a John Byrne book to patch fix the continuity hole left by WW's post-Crisis reboot in the mid-80s, subsequently undone by Infinite Crisis bringing back the Multiverse and then undone again by the current Stracyzinski series (which is probably going to "erase itself" at the conclusion.) Likewise, the bracelets being just another weapon from the gods is from the same George Perez reboot, post-Crisis.

V Gray

Feb 13, 2010
Now I'm a guy who's looking at this from an outsiders point of view, and has always looked on with disgust for any DC female character. I will conceive that their is a good story in wonder woman, but with every interesting part theirs a giant WTF that comes after it. The story would need a complete make over. I've never been able to see wonder woman as a strong female, just an outdated character who got skankier as time when on. She doesn't look like an amazon, she looks like a stripper with an American theme. As for the new costume, all though it doesn't make her look like a super hero, she does look like a self empowered woman.

ShenCS

Aug 24, 2010
So... trousers and a shirt doesn't scream courage and virtue, I'll give you that. But a leotard does? Really?
IS there a famous super heroine with a non-fetish outfit? Marston wasn't a radical feminist, just one of the greatest con-men in history. What a lad, we salute you.

Caiti Voltaire

Feb 10, 2010
dastardly said:
The original idea of women's empowerment, at least through Marston's presentation, reads more like male wish fulfillment that pays lip service to women's rights. Basically, wrap the story around how women can be strong and cast of chains and blah blah blah... and use that as an excuse to put some eye candy in there for the dudes. An island full of (exclusively) beautiful women untouched by men? Loads of bondage? A superhero built out of legs and cleavage?
I think that right there highlights the disconnect between what Marston was trying to do with the comic, and what it actually became popular for.

[edit] Snipped the quote down to the relevant part.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Wonder Woman is a living breathing antique. Her Ideals are good (although the creator definitely invites some skepticism; read: kinda comes across as hypocrite) but the presentation is antiquated as hell.

In the 40's Women were forced to wear conservative clothing.
Hence WW was 1/3rd nude, even though the only purpose of that is to attract men, which she isn't supposed to be trying to do in the first place*coughHypocrite*cough*

In the 40's Lesbianism (well, homosexuality) is taboo and shunned.
Hence they are all lesbians : If they are supposed to be so "independent" why would they find the need to pair up and have Girl-on-Girl action when it is biologically useless?

In the 40's Nazi's were the obligatory evil plot device.
Hence...well, duh. Also, Rosie the Riveter? Really? Wasn't she just an outlandish icon made to inspire soldiers while they.....you know....had their alone time?

Point is: Wonder Woman as you and i know her, won't work now. In a way this is because her ideals were successful: Women aren't generally forced to wear conservative clothes, and homosexuality is now accepted for the most part. So portraying her in those ways today....doesn't really say anything[/]. there's no message?

If anything the new costume is trying to say: "you don't have to have your thighs and boobs sticking out to be a strong woman in today's world." because that's true. At-least that's my interpretation. Want another of my interpretations: Make a Wonder Woman movie about her dealing with the fact that she's an antique.
Mind=Blown

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
I actually liked the new uniform:
1- Anyone could tell the change was temporal. Like the time they introduced the red and blue Supermen. Even if one could argue it could lead to some interesting characters, it was a sure bet that the classic look was going to return.
2- It is not the worst thing the character has wear, by far...
3- She actually looked like a believable woman, not something that "scream courage and virtue" by showing that she is fashionable enough to shave her bikini area before fighting crime.
3- The bright red and blue bathing suit doesn't work in movies or TV, it would look ridiculous to have such a character running around the streets of the city. The reason it works on comic books is because the human body is usually stilized (Rob Liefeld style) with proportions that are hardly possible for any actor.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
Meh, sounds boring. Wonder Woman is about as interesting as the fucking Superman. Not at all, and I'm pretty sure there are better female superheroes out there. I guess...?

RootBrewski

Aug 1, 2008
The_ModeRazor said:
Meh, sounds boring. Wonder Woman is about as interesting as the fucking Superman. Not at all, and I'm pretty sure there are better female superheroes out there. I guess...?
Better, I would say yes. More iconic, No.

OT: Great vid Bob, glad you mentioned the costume change, although it's nowhere near as bad as what they did to poor Superman.

skylog

Nov 9, 2009
Every time I hear people talking about Wonder Woman's new outfit, I can't help but think of this: http://www.shortpacked.com/2010/comic/book-11/06-sister-tact/starspangledpanties/

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Protip: Wonder Woman did have a brilliant animated film released in 2009 direct to DVD. Just imagine if the Wonder Woman material got the Batman Animated Series treatment, or in other words: It is quite a movie which doesnt hold back with its message and maturity.

(Somebody gets decapitated and quite a few people die).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186373/

Also if you cant wait for the Green Lantern Movie they made an Animated movie called Green Lantern: First Flight.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
lightyears is not a measurement of time but distance, so unless you meant that he was trillions of kilometres ahead of his time you are wrong, i know this is nitpicking and to be honest had anyone else from the escapist said that i would have thought nothing of it, but i expect more from you my sweet bob, other than that it was a good episode, my knowledge of Wonder Woman was previously limited to the few episodes of the Justice League cartoon, and she never seemed like a man hating warrior, flirting with almost every male character in the show.

jspheonix

Mar 10, 2010
Very interesting, but I do think her new costume is better, granted it is exactly what you say but somehow the pinnacle fictional character of feminism in hot pants and a corset never really got through to me as 'convincing'. It's almost as bad as claiming sex in the city to be the franchise of the modern woman

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
D0WNT0WN said:
Protip: Wonder Woman did have a brilliant animated film released in 2009 direct to DVD. Just imagine if the Wonder Woman material got the Batman Animated Series treatment, or in other words: It is quite a movie which doesnt hold back with its message and maturity.

(Somebody gets decapitated and quite a few people die).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1186373/

Also if you cant wait for the Green Lantern Movie they made an Animated movie called Green Lantern: First Flight.
is it as good as Batman : Under the red hood, or at least any where near it, cause frankly i thought that "under the red hood" was a mark hamill away from being perfect (the other guy does a good job), and it the best batman movie made, and since i have to order these kinds of movies home from the UK at quite the cost and i have never been a wonder woman fan i would like a little more detail from such a handsome guy like you ;).