The Big Picture: All The World Is Waiting

Kenji_03

May 12, 2007
"Like all great women, only gets more interesting the more you find out". Of all your great lines, this is by far the greatest

crackv

Feb 27, 2011
Panda Mania said:
dastardly said:
MovieBob said:
All The World Is Waiting

This week, Bob looks at the origins of our favorite Amazonian.

Watch Video
Eh, I didn't mind the costume change.

The original idea of women's empowerment, at least through Marston's presentation, reads more like male wish fulfillment that pays lip service to women's rights. Basically, wrap the story around how women can be strong and cast of chains and blah blah blah... and use that as an excuse to put some eye candy in there for the dudes. An island full of (exclusively) beautiful women untouched by men? Loads of bondage? A superhero built out of legs and cleavage?

I really don't think comics have found the balance between presenting a woman's independent sexuality as power... and just exploiting the sexuality of women with superpowers. Just because a woman's boobs are the source of her power over us as men doesn't mean that they're the rightful symbol of her strength.

(Don't get me wrong. I like boobs. But I also understand wanting to match Wonder Woman's appearance to her alleged ideals.
Yeah, it's depressing. I highly doubt the art will change though...we just couldn't make a female superhero movie without at least some spandex-cleavage!
What you need to understand though is that her appearance was viewed, and presented, as being counter-culture. When she sees womens clothing of the time after leaving Amazonia, she remarks that while good looking, it would feel constraining, even outside of combat or such things. The bondage stuff, however, is a completely different matter. This actually ties to his theories, which remark that bondage can be a conduit towards mutual respect and elevation of the female role. Sure, it sounds really kinky and messed up, but if you read some of his theories you can see where he is coming from. Look past the modern stigma of bondage being sexual and you can see he's not implying we should tie up all women (in fact, he's more saying the opposite, but theres a lot more to the argument than that).

Really, Wonder Woman was extremely independent in early comics. While there was the pilot love interest, he was pretty much portrayed as being more than a little useless in comparison to Wonder Woman's abilities. She didnt need him, and this was made clear. Read some of the early stuff, the early comics, before Marston died, and you can really see her to be a liberated figure. Men tell her to dress differently, she says no, that she likes how she dresses. She doesnt do it for attraction, she does it because she likes how she feels when she does it.

I tend to agree that she was extremely dumbed down in modern comics, even immediately after her creators death, but her early stories were never, or not intentionally, about T&A, they were showing a woman kicking ass in a mans world.

crackv

Feb 27, 2011
HentMas said:
Is it just me or bob just changed "THE BIG PICTURE" for "THE BIG OPPINION ON COMICS AND MOVIES ABOUT THEM... and the geeks who love them" With BOOOOOB CHIPMAAAAAN!!!!! *aplause*

or something

anyway, if there is ever a reboot of this material, hell, i think it would work even more right now than before, seing the "Taliban" treatment on women and its customs, making them the perfect scapegoat (and a common humanity villian) and putting "USA" in the high ground.
That would be a dangerous move, though, by all regards. While Taliban treatment is indeed radical muslim, it is still part of a religion. Burkas are worn by muslim women all around the world, supressed or otherwise. To have wonder woman attack the Taliban on grounds of abuse of women, well, it could be done, but it would be a very very dangerous line to walk, because if just one line or image was out of place, it could look like an attack on Muslims, and the Taliban are muslim radicals in the same way the KKK are christian radicals. They're nuts. So going after a religion where the average muslim, like the average christian, is a normal, nice human being stereotyped by their worst counterparts would be a bad move in general.

An invented scenario, really, would be best. Some made up government or nation. The first wonder woman fought in the war, not exactly solely for womens rights. So it doesnt even have to be directly about womens rights.

gonephishing

Jun 7, 2010
I'm afraid I'm going to have to outright label that last statement as false. There are so few interesting women these days, I'm not sure they haven't disappeared... Ask a woman who is anywhere from the age of saaaaay 16-26, they are the driest and least interesting people you will ever try to force yourself to talk to. Yes, I realize there are exceptions, and those exceptions are TREASURES; however, if you ask the aforementioned age group of women what their favorite activities are the answer to that question will undoubtedly be "I don't know", "texting", "clubbing" or something of the nature (Yes, I realize that leisure time activities are often the most exciting or enjoyable, but what the hell are they taking a break from? At the very most; work, but if you are in that age group, odds are anybody your age has a job.. anyway...)most interesting girls (and indeed men) will also enjoy something else (and if not enjoy, at least be involved in it) sayyy (and going off personal examples) watching and playing hockey, programming, reading, playing and analyzing video games, and other stuff that I do to enrich my life. But you see, even if they do enrich their lives with at the very least books; they'll still be enriching it with the kind of garbage known as the twilight saga (saga supposed to to be a narrative of achievements and heroism so how they find that an appropriate title is beyond me but... I won't expand on that so as not to turn this into an even longer rant) that type of literature does NOT enrich, it only creates an insipidity in an already naive and under enriched mind... So without the exceptions instead being a majority I'm afraid you cannot lable all women as deep, or at the very least interesting, same goes for anybody older than the age group. Actually, writing this I can think of women who are interesting, enriched, deep, and even downright good looking at the same time... You know who these women are? Not American, I'm beginning to understand why foreigners hate us so much, it's because women and men of other countries have such an ideal school system and high amount of interest in taking in and interpreting information and not just in boring ways like books. Literally every meaningful relationship I've had has been with woman not born in this country. Ladies and gentlemen, if we are going to expand as a country we will have to demand a higher degree of interest in outside knowledge, or even a reform of the school system. (Perhaps one way of helping to achieve this is not telling every six year old and their cat that they are special... in a biblical way, yes you are special and unique in your upbringing and slightly varied in your talents, but to say that everybody is so greatly diversified that every mind nowadays is worth exploring is just I lie. Stop turning our youths into entitled, self righteous, ego maniacs who can't enterpret the idea of being something bigger than themselves or making themselves special through enriching their lives and minds to their God-given interests... I'm going to close this before this just gets too damn long but if you'd like to correct or debate my ideals in anyway go ahead ([email protected]). So yeah, until I feel the rant in my veins again, see yah.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
This reminds me of this conversation I had on YouTube with this Men's Rights Activist who didn't like feminists, because "they're their own worst enemies" as he puts it. I'm a bit fuzzy on most of what he said, but the one part that stuck out to me is that he didn't like the idea of women being active and independent, leaving either the father or no one to look after the kids or house, and taking up jobs leading to more unemployment. While I said that it was an "interesting theory", I also said that it sounded like and extended variation of "get back in the kitchen"... Which is sexist and... just wrong. :/