The Big Picture: Americana

Jman1236

Jul 29, 2008
First!

Anyway you were right about spiderman leading to sentai, except they wanted to make a japanese version of Captain America in the same way but things didn't go as they wanted so they made a show with heros from different countries(all of whom are japanese) called Battle Fever J. Also they weren't the first sentai, the first was Goranger and JAKQ but they weren't considered part of the francise till the mid 90's.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
Oooh, Americana, I love that album.

Okay, all kidding aside, that was pretty interesting, but it did miss a rather interesting re-imagining. Italian Spider Man. Go look it up on youtube. He can squeeze a pack of cigarettes from a rooster.

gunpowder_saint

May 22, 2011
Love the show, but as a comic nerd I'm Dying for your Superman Continuity Episode, or possibly part one of said episode.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow you should make a part 2 of this since I want to heard more of other examples (now I'm google up this lady Terminator) and no I don't want to be reminded of that anime TMNT...

Urh

Oct 9, 2010
Looking forward to the TMNT anime episode. I'm kinda disappointed that Turkish Rambo didn't get a mention (although Bob could probably do a whole episode on Turkish film rip-offs). I've only seen clips of it, but based on what I've seen I've come to the conclusion that Turkish Rambo has to be one of the best "so bad it's good" movies out there.

the spud

May 2, 2011
gunpowder_saint said:
Love the show, but as a comic nerd I'm Dying for your Superman Continuity Episode, or possibly part one of said episode.
Welcome to the escapist. Stay out of the basement.

OT: Trained guinea pigs, eh? I need to look into getting some of those of my own...

But on the other hand, G-force would have been a much better movie if one of the guinea pigs ate a guy's eyes out.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
vxicepickxv said:

Okay, all kidding aside, that was pretty interesting, but it did miss a rather interesting re-imagining. Italian Spider Man. Go look it up on youtube. He can squeeze a pack of cigarettes from a rooster.
"Shut-a your mouth-a pussycat, and find me a machiatto, PRONTOOOOO!" Italian Spiderman is one of the greatest things ever.

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
Bob, you fraking tease. You poked my nostalgia button so hard with that TMNT teaser...

*shakes fist impotantly in anger*

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
THERE DOING A TIN TIN MOVIE?
my life as a six year old was all about tin tin.
and lady terminator sounds like a fun movie!

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Urazel said:
The delicious irony of a TMNT Anime.....
Lol, I remember the Shredder saying "Delicious Irony" a lot in the American cartoon.

Seriously though, TMNT Anime sounds awesome. I'm mean they're bloody Ninja for frak's sake! How could a Japanese studio possibly mess that up?! That's like saying Samurai suck at Bushido.

Also, Captain America Vs Spider-Man in a slap fight sounds promising, in an unintentional comedy way.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
These things always go in circles. Akira Kurosawa's classic, Yojimbo, got at least 3 different Hollywood remakes: A Fistful of Dollars (western), The Warrior and the Sorceress (fantasy), and Last Man Standing (noir). But Yojimbo itself was heavily inspired by two Dashiell Hammet stories, The Glass Key and Red Harvest, and the cinematography was greatly inspired by John Ford's westerns.

vxicepickxv said:

Italian Spiderman is hilarious, but it's a parody of this phenomenon [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Spiderman]. It's a spoof trailer from a couple years ago by some Australian comedy troupe.

Eefness

Jan 25, 2011
Wow ..... just wow. Hehehe although those movies seem a bit too ... uhhhh .... weird for my tastes.

Ya know i would actually like to see more things like classic movies and such be animeified, it would certainly produce some very interesting results.

daxterx2005

Dec 19, 2009
TMNT 2K3 > The two TMNT OVAS > TMNT 1987 >>>>>> Next Mutation

There I said it, Im not clouded with rose colored nostalgia goggles I can admit the original TMNT sucked.

-edit-
Almost forgot to include how awful next mutation was

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
A TMNT anime? Don't...know if want? Still, the idea that Spiderman gave birth to Sentai, which in turn led to the Power Rangers is pretty mind blowing. Can't wait for next week. I enjoy this segment more then your movie reviews honestly.