The Big Picture: Americana

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
So, in order to submit something to the Escapist for his Big Picture segment, he pretty much aped TGWTG.com [http://www.thatguywiththeglasses.com].

I can understand if other people on this site haven't been there, but I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not the only one thinking this.

solbadguy37

Sep 27, 2010
Dear Bob,

I was wondering if you have read the Thieves World series.
if so... have you finished it? i loved the first six books but book seven is really hard to finish. any inspiration on if it may be good to finish the series?
sorry for the random comment just wondering...

droppingpenny

Feb 27, 2010
shadowmagus said:
A TMNT anime? Don't...know if want? Still, the idea that Spiderman gave birth to Sentai, which in turn led to the Power Rangers is pretty mind blowing.
it would be a mind blowing Idea if it was true but Super Sentai and Tokusatsu greatly predate the Japanese Version,of Spider Man (1978) for example Gatchaman( 1972). The only thing that Spider Man gave birth to, was the use of a Giant Robot in Super Sentai.

kara_bulut

Apr 1, 2009
Oh wow this episode overjoyed me.

Being Turkish I grew up with my childhood watching those stuff.
The Turkish Star Wars was called Dünyayı Kurtaran Adam translated as The Man Who Saved Earth.

And a bonus for those who like Star Trek there was also a rip off movie called Turist Ömer Uzayda translated as Ömer The Tourist In Space.

Yes they ripped off anything that was ripoff-able back in 70's and 80's.

lokiduck

Jun 5, 2010
Wow pretty lack luster for me since I all ready know about most of this shit. Thank god for internet reviewers.

But good video anyways.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
It's good to see the whole world is guilty of shitty reimaginings of original ideas. We all get to laugh at their campy absurdity

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
yeh! and did you know that Japanese also had a "Power Puff Girls Z" anime? (yeh, like "Z" for dragon ball "Z"... i guess...) anyhow it's no dragon ball... yeh.. and how do I know this... don't ask....

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
LadyRhian said:
And don't forget the American Movie remake of the Puppet series by British marionette makers... "Thunderbirds".
What happened to the Captain Scarlet remake we all so very much deserve?

Solon_Mega

Feb 7, 2011
How could you forget "Super Sam"? The Super-man/Uncle sam mix (played by Ramón Valdez, also the actor of "Sr. Madruga", or "Mr. Dawn"). It was featured in the Classical mexican comedy series "Chapolin". I'm not Mexican but that was a huge part of my childhood.

http://pt.chespirito.wikia.com/wiki/Super_Sam

AetherWolf

Jan 1, 2011
Powerpuff Girls Z has always been a favorite of mine.

Also, Panty & Stocking With Garterbelt contains so many American cartoon references that it will blow your mind. It makes me wonder if half of the Japanese who watch that show understand any of it.

[sub]I'm fascinated by anime adaptions of western cartoons if you haven't noticed. There was a Lilo & Stitch anime if you didn't already know.[/sub]

Vash108

Jul 18, 2008
Thanks to http://www.thecinemasnob.com/ I knew about all of those except the 3 Mighty Men.

Here is the Turkish Star Wars one http://thecinemasnob.com/2009/10/07/turkish-star-wars.aspx

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Mean Machine was actually quite good and entertaining movie,although a ripoff.

Also,is it just me that thought the TMNT anime from the last part of the video looked just awesome?

All in all,was a enjoyable video to see.I never knew about these reboots/ripoffs or whatever you wanna call them until I saw this episode.

MadMechanic

Nov 6, 2009
Zaverexus said:
LadyRhian said:
And don't forget the American Movie remake of the Puppet series by British marionette makers... "Thunderbirds".

If memory serves me correctly, we got it about 2-3 years ago. It was a CGI tv series on CITV.

I wasn't really a fan. Quite a few really odd changes (most of which I've since forgotten), but I remember that it wasn't as dark and edgy as the orrigional, Comrade Black changed to Mr Black, and rather than being dead and controlled by the villains, he was simply made into a traitor.

Zaverexus

Jul 5, 2010
MadMechanic said:
Zaverexus said:
LadyRhian said:

If memory serves me correctly, we got it about 2-3 years ago. It was a CGI tv series on CITV.

I wasn't really a fan. Quite a few really odd changes (most of which I've since forgotten), but I remember that it wasn't as dark and edgy as the orrigional, Comrade Black changed to Mr Black, and rather than being dead and controlled by the villains, he was simply made into a traitor.
Well that's a disappointing shame.

Alex Dzurik

Jun 9, 2011
Dragonball will be used as the horror story of adaptation until the american live action Akira comes out.

It will be ugly.

BlackSaint09

Dec 9, 2010
Im happy that my countrys flag got shown in this. We Estonians dont get too much publicity i guess and thats kinda funny.
Otherwise cool episode as usual Moviebob.