The Big Picture: Arch-Villains

Maladjusted

Mar 20, 2009
I agree with Greg Downing (who I?ve just realised only commented on the ?facebook? section of the comments that I?ve just disabled?er?): the correlation between poverty and obesity (as counter-intuitive as this might have seemed any time in history before, say, the the middle of the last century) can't be denied and is often overlooked on the slow news days when the mass-media recycles last year's story about the growing obesity "epidemic." However, Steve Powell's also right to say urban sprawl and U.S. car culture doesn?t help..

...On an unrelated note, though, did anyone else find it a teensy bit disturbing to hear Bob talk about evolution as if it's got a kind of in-built 'onwards and upwards' tendency that weeds out crappier forms of life and pushes towards superior ones? I mean, I know he's mentioning it in the context of a joke, and I'm certainly -not- suggesting that he was expressing some kind of half-fascist social Darwinist vision (he explicitly mentions that he disagrees with such things) but...I....just.... l...can't...fight...pedantic...urges... So...:

Surely, Bob knows that 'survival of the fittest' (Herbert Spencer's phrase not Darwin's) is a near tautology, i.e. that 'fittest' means 'most capable of surviving and reproducing' and is in no way synonymous with being "amazing, intelligent, powerful, innovative, creative et cetera." From an evolutionary point of view, not only are mosquitoes and viruses "as good" as humans (insofar the insects also succeed at thriving and reproduce in their environment), but also, to use a Bob idiom: -douchebags- are as fit as Supermen in that 'fitness' -from (and only from) an evolutionary point of view is nothing more than existing for long enough to pass on your genes. Which as morons the world over prove is not hard. If evolution were 'left to its own devices', it's less likely that we'd have the X-Men and more likely that we'd have a kind of colourful variation on the theme of stupid. It's analogous to the free market: competition does -sometimes- allow great things to emerge and endure, but it can also just as easily lead to the reign of the bland and vacuous (McDonald's, Hollywood, Twilight, first person shooters etc.)

P.S. just realised in attempting to point this that onathantos also made this point.

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
Except, you know for the fact that people already blame video games for a lack of exercise and a lack of civility and a broad spectrum of other various things. I know its not exactly the same thing but still...

Verp

Jul 1, 2009
Two sad, sad truths:

1. While it's easy to chalk it all up to people being stupid and making bad decisions, that is a very naive thing to do. It must be comforting to think the way people don't do the right thing is because they're not smart enough to see the big picture, but most people, even those who feed themselves sick, KNOW that they shouldn't be eating like they do and they would like to eat healthier foods, they just can't help it. Humans are off-the-rack ordinary mammals in many ways and our instincts regarding food haven't really seen much change since the Pleistocene period, creating a definitive limit for our ability to regulate our behaviour when it comes to addictive food.

And yes, junk food is addictive, it's been designed that way. Get enough exposure and you'll experience withdrawal symptoms when you go cold turkey.

2. One of the only times during human history when bad health caused by overabundance of fatty and sugary food has been effectively battled was when government intervened and regulated consumption and business practices. North Karelia Project, look it up.

The Epicosity

Mar 19, 2011
Yeah, but the burgers can be dangerous from stuff like e coli, because of the fact the cows are walking in their own shit, and that your average burger would have pieces of a lot of different cows, so, that combined with the condition that they are slaughtered in, that meat can be pretty dangerous, even if most companies, mainly the big meat ones, do that.