The Big Picture: Batman Revisited, Part 1

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Batman Revisited, Part 1

MovieBob takes you on a trip with the ghost of Batman past.

Watch Video

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I think Burtons Batmans movies are pretty fantastic and Returns may be my favourite Batman movie period. Though i also have a soft spot for Adam Wests Batman. It's just so delightfully Sixties.

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Awesome.

That said... Bob. At least MENTION the not-nearly-as-culturally-significant but fun-as-all-hell 1966 Batman movie. Like, don't get me wrong, it's horrible, but in the BEST POSSIBLE WAY. I mean, the origin of shark repellent spray! "Sometimes you just can't get rid of a bomb!" The fact that said repelled shark EXPLODES ONCE BATMAN GETS RID OF IT!

I'm not saying redo your entire review, but a NOD to it would be FANTASTIC.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I find it weird that Bob didn't like Batman... James Rolfe has gone on record saying it gets BETTER every time he watches it, and it's Doug Walker's 4th favorite movie of all time. Although I do admit, the fact that the Joker HAPPENS to be the one who kills Bruce Wayne's parents is pretty lame. Maybe I should see the movie myself...

AlexanderPeregrine

Nov 19, 2009
I think the worst part about the Joker killing Batman's parents is not only how it's a blunt, shallow, and lazy way to up the stakes, but it also makes it feel like the whole world revolves around Bruce Wayne. It started the trend of so many action movies being downright narcissistic.

e.wlmo4

Oct 9, 2010
To your no other movie being as influential I throw another film into the ring. Transformers (unfortunately). When so many films are trying to ape it's general look and leading to so many brands that would never be considered for adaptation it's affect is obvious. A large amount of this may suck, but at least it lead to Hasbro going through all it's brands and making a certain equine based show.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I'm kinda happy I'm not the only one who doesn't really like the Keaton Batman films that much. I honestly never saw the appeal.

yourbeliefs

Bored at Work
Jan 30, 2009
Good video, and I have to second Bob's declaration that Batman isn't as good as we all remember it being. I saw it again about a year ago because I wanted to show it to my wife who hadn't seen it yet (she grew up in China; that's her excuse.) I was surprised by how flawed the movie was. The issues Bob brings up are there, and I also found that overall, there really isn't much that "happens" in the movie. It was driven more by the characters rather than the story. There isn't a lot of action in the movie and structurally it's rather sloppy.

One thing that I think hurt my perception of the movie is that so many more superhero movies have come out since Batman, meaning that Batman inevitably needs to be compared to them. Compared to other movies like Iron Man, The Avengers, X Men, Spiderman, etc etc it's hard to hold Batman up on the same pedestal that I used to. Again, as Bob said, Tim Burton's Batman is not a BAD movie, but when people put Batman as their favorite superhero movie I can't help but ask, "Really??"

Porygon-2000

I have a green hat! Why?!
Jul 14, 2010
e.wlmo4 said:
To your no other movie being as influential I throw another film into the ring. Transformers (unfortunately). When so many films are trying to ape it's general look and leading to so many brands that would never be considered for adaptation it's affect is obvious. A large amount of this may suck, but at least it lead to Hasbro going through all it's brands and making a certain equine based show.
I think there's a difference though. I reckon the positive output by Hasbro is a lot less, firstly (don't get me wrong, FIM rules)

While there are superficial similarities, these are two completely different situations. Batman launched an entire genre, techniques, creators and actors, as well as a renaissance in the way we viewed superheroes, and heroes in general. Transformers launched... an attempt from a toy company to squeeze their IP's for all they were worth. And a couple of dumb 'splodey movies. Not really on the same scale.

I luvz typing at 3 in the morning!

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
Great stuff Bob and I agree. I didn't watch this movie until after I'd already seen some of the Spider-Man movies and in comparison to them, it really seemed pretty shit (I didn't even bother with the sequels). It's influence on superhero movies is undeniable however and if I hadn't already been spoiled by the incredible Spider-Man movies and Batman cartoons I'm sure I probably would have enjoyed it.

Chris Mosher

Nov 28, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I get all the symbolism behind it, but I've always hated that cat suit.
Someone can hate that Catwoman suit. A little confession here, but Pheiffer has always been my favourite idea of Catwoman. Sorta evil, sorta not. She's a great example of a full character who just happens to be sexy without being only a sex object (she does have here own motivations).

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
KoDOmega said:
Awesome.

That said... Bob. At least MENTION the not-nearly-as-culturally-significant but fun-as-all-hell 1966 Batman movie. Like, don't get me wrong, it's horrible, but in the BEST POSSIBLE WAY. I mean, the origin of shark repellent spray! "Sometimes you just can't get rid of a bomb!" The fact that said repelled shark EXPLODES ONCE BATMAN GETS RID OF IT!

I'm not saying redo your entire review, but a NOD to it would be FANTASTIC.
That movie is so terrible it's awesome. I can't actually watch it without the commentary anymore though.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I never considered just how influential Batman '89 was. Good insights, Bob.

Now that I think of it, it's probably responsible for that dark, neo-noir look that so many modern genre films make use of. Even though Batman '89's cinematography has not aged well at all.

e.wlmo4 said:
I don't know that Transformers has proved its lasting influence just yet. But it will be interesting to see how much future Hollywood trends will be shaped by the overseas markets [http://blogs.amctv.com/movie-blog/2012/02/china-can-chang.php]. Battleship, G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra, and Battle: Los Angeles are the first three movies that come to my mind when you mention the influence of Transformers. All three were panned by critics, and none of them did exceptionally well in the domestic market, but all made big profits thanks to overseas box office.

Oct 30, 2010
Grrr. Bane may not have been built to be enduring, but he was great.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
So I take it this is a four parters since you spend this video on the first film?
Do you really need to explain how influential for most of the video (after the whole no DC animated universe? We get it, it was that much of a big deal!

I guess I should rewatch that film again to see the flaws to that film. Yes I know you said it wasn't a bad film but surely it can't be bad as 3 and 4? Also I got to ask with the flaws and nitpick of that film, if you were to make a Batman film yourself Moviebob, what will be like (setting, cast, plot and etc)?

Brad Gardner

Jun 5, 2012
I have to state this before he gets to Batman and Robin. I love Batman and Robin. It was fun and funny. Everyone hates it for whatever reason, but I love the obsertity of it. I also love David Hasslehoff's Nick Fury much more that Samuel 'mother fucking' Jackson. It's just who I am.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
I thought Batman (89) was great at the time, particularly Nicholson's performance, but when I watched it again a couple of years ago I thought it hadn't aged well, at all. It just feels sillier than it used to. It doesn't draw me in, and so I never forget for an instant that this is a movie filmed on movie sets.

Returns, on the other hand, I absolutely love. Christopher Walken, Danny DeVito and Michelle Pfeiffer are all brilliant, it has my favourite Elfman score, and although I often roll my eyes at Burton doing his gothic thing all the damn time it fits that movie perfectly.