The Big Picture: Batman Revisited, Part 2

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Batman Revisited, Part 2

MovieBob continues with his journey through Batman movie history.

Watch Video

Murlin

I came here to laugh at you
Jul 15, 2009
Wait, so in a way...Tim Burton is responsible for the way Batman & Robin turned out?

jaymiechan

Jun 27, 2012
Hey, at least in regards to Catwoman, she started off a whole new generation of rubber fetishists.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Wow I never knew that and that made sense for the third and fourth films result. So in another word we got Tim Burton to blame for that?

portal_cat

Jun 25, 2009
Before the Comic Code Authority Batman killed people with guns and even threw people off the roof.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Did they have the age-rating system back then?

And I don't like crazy Catwoman either. Staples aren't sexy!
Do you mean on her suit? That was cartoonishly large tread holding the patches of leather together not staples.

I always thought of that Catwoman as a freed and/or uninhibited version of herself from a quiet straight laced secretary, which yeah can look and actually seem or be crazy but only doing so to serve the purpose of enjoying herself and not Joker crazy or Two-Face Crazy.

iceykitsune

Aug 10, 2010
So, the whole controversy over batman returns is over the fact that parent refuse to understand what PG-13 means?

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
To be honest: Batman Returns is my favourite. Batman 1 suffered from being more about the Joker than about Batman but while Returns also had a very big emphasis on it's villains but i think it did it better. To be honest though, i didnÄt like DeVitos Penguin either but Pfeiffers Catwoman was groovy as hell and Christopher Walken as Christopher Walken as Max Schreck was the shit. But... you know, that's just my opinion.

TheFederation

Mar 29, 2011
ah next week, i like jim carrey (on occasion) and I like the riddler (when he's done good) so i thought that it would be a good film.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
iceykitsune said:
So, the whole controversy over batman returns is over the fact that parent refuse to understand what PG-13 means?
The original was also PG-13, and it didn't have nearly as much violence or sex. Given that the movie was merchandised heavily towards kids I don't think it was unreasonable for parents to be surprised by the more mature content of the sequel.

Is it the movie's fault? No, the problem lies mostly with the marketing and merchandising. Even today it's common for movies and games aimed at the 13+ crowd to get toys aimed for younger children. This isn't to say that parents don't have responsibility for the media they let their kids consume, but when the marketing skews things this much parents can't make an informed decision.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I still maintain it is the best Batman film to this day. Not from a cohesive narrative point of view, granted, but when you've got art deco, biblical retribution and third-wave feminism aplenty...I'm inclined to give that a pass.
It's thematically and intertextually *dense*, and not in the philosophy minor didactic fashion of Nolan's films.

Pfeiffer's Catwoman is particularly fantastic because it's one of few examples of real gyno-rage in mainstream American cinema; undiluted by 'maternal instinct' or any such simplistic qualifiers.
She is an outright rebellion against the patriarchal status quo. Being a sole catalyst of that movement, however, is both trying and fraught with relentless opposition, causing her psyche (and her suit, in a clever visual device) to fracture and split at the seams.

The script by Daniel Waters is obviously laboured by rewrites, but his sardonic humour and attention to character dynamics is apparent throughout, and not entirely unlike his brilliant Heathers.

I love it. Every wacky and oddly-paced minute of it.

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I remember that Tim Burton was working on Batman Returns while The Nightmare Before Christmas was made. Sometimes I wonder what that movie would be like if Burton had more time to devote to it.

In addition, about Batman killing, didn't he kill someone in the first Batman movie? And in the early comics, Batman killed criminals all the time? Either way... yeah, I agree, he shouldn't really be going around killing people, and he ESPECIALLY shouldn't look like he's actually enjoying it.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
saintdane05 said:
FIRST TROLOLOLOLOL!!!!!1111!!!!

I've always wanted to be annoying like that.
Prepare to face the banhammer, because the Escapist comes down on that hard.

On topic: I always said that Batman Returns could have been a good movie if Batman hadn't been in it. Or, more precisely, if it hadn't had the Batman Mythos forced into it. The idea of a hideously deformed man abandoned by his rich parents trying to work his way back into high society, being taken advantage of by members of said high society and ultimately turning rogue would make for an excellent movie, especially set to Burton's visual aesthetic. This movie could have worked as a tragedy and a scathing commentary about the shallowness, elitism and abuse of high society.
This is a script that Burton should not have tried to make into a Batman movie and instead made into one of his own. Alas, that wasn't what he was hired to write.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I almost forgot how Sean Young went on national television in a home made Catwoman suit in order to confront Tim Burton about the part.

Didn't she also stalk James Woods or something?

empirialtank

Jan 22, 2010
first of all: thank you Bob for working your ass off to give us this video and a special edition escape to the movies warning us about how bad spider man is, the internet appreciates this.

Second, for all its flaws this movie is still very awesome because at the end there's an army of penguins attacking the city with rocket launchers.