The Big Picture: Batman Revisited, Part 4

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Batman Revisited, Part 4

Batman & Robin join in on the fun that is MovieBob's Batman retrospective.

Watch Video

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
well, let's also be honest: nipples on the Batsuit are stupid. Also, Batman was originally a far darker protagonist in the Golden Age. In the SILVER AGE he was campy like in the show and in the Schumacher movies but going to his roots he was supposed to be a bit more gritty and grim than the average superhero much like the Dark Knight Returns (not its sequel though) or the Nolan movies. Albeit Bob Kane was pretty much a hack whose worst ideas were edited by Bill Finger and Batman did STUPIDLY use a gun in the beginning, but that's how things are. Heck, in the Silver Age Batman was pretty close to being canceled

Anyway, B&R will always be a stupid movie.

minnull

Feb 10, 2010
I loved this movie when I was a kid. It was only when I grew up that I decided it was a horrible, horrible movie to defend myself from the backlash of my peers, the same ones that think all the other crappy movies we watch when we were little are still great because of nostalgia. I wouldn't be able to sit through the movie now that I'm older but I can say the same thing about a lot of other movies from the days of old.

Apr 28, 2008
I'm just going to come out and say it. I freaking loved Batman and Robin. One of the funniest damn movies I've ever seen. Laughed pretty much the whole way through. The whole thing is just absurd, and I find it hilarious. Bat nipples, Arnold Schwarzenegger wearing polar bear slippers and making horrible ice puns, fantastic troll logic... just comedy gold.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I like Batman & Robin. It's campy, it has a ridiculous script, it has hilariously over-the-top acting, it has puns, and made some of the most ridiculously nonsensical changes to the suits of all time. So I firmly believe that it was "So bad it's good", even today.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
Woah woah woah, watch what you say about Street Fighter The Movie or Bison will decent upon you, LIKE LIGHTNING!!

Also, Batman and Robin is a film I still enjoy watching. Because it's funny, corny and just a fun movie to watch.

Plus it has ARNOLD as Mr.Freeze.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Oddly enough, for a long time I thought Batman returns was the worst of the 4 films, simply because I enjoy watching the Schmacker films far more.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
Never knew the movie was considered bad, because of gay undertones...
I just thought it was bad, because it sucks.
And honestly, I undertstand why a Batman movie should not be gay in any way.
Having Batman turn gay, or making him seem gay in any way brings with it horrible implications about his relationship with all the robins...

Strife2GFAQs

Apr 13, 2009
Poison Ivy sure got me hooked on the movie when I was a teenager...still would if I didn't resent watching its horrid puns, camp, and nonsensical vomit.

THE BAT CARD! SUPER VENUS FLY TRAP! NEON TATTOO BIKERS! ALICIA SILVERSTONE DOING ANYTHING!

And good god those puns. ugh.

elitestranger1

Nov 20, 2009
i hope rises review doesnt have any spoilers, including minor ones. 1st time ive actually cared enough.

as for batman and robin i didnt have a problem with it as a kid but i didnt really like any of them above just watching it coz it was on tv (probably for the 1st time).

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
Harry Knowles didn't like Batman and Robin you say? Heh, well the studio must not have flown him to the set, given him a private showing and otherwise kissed his ass like the studio behind the American Godzilla movie did because he couldn't stop gushing over that piece of garbage.

Sorry I know it's off topic but I've spent a sizable amount of time in Austin TX and have a rather large distaste for the Ain't It Cool News founder. Oh the stories I could tell . . .

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
I love Batman & Robin, its just a hell of a lot of fun to watch and get mad about. Who can resist Arnies ice puns? Anyone who gets mad about it watches it in the wrong mind set, its VERY clearly not trying to be serious or even good so you might as well love it for what it is.

Actually most people who I talk to like it, the only person who didn't picked up a copy of The Dark Night Returns once and thus see himself as huge comic fans. (He thought there was only one Robin, but I digress.)

GrungyMunchy

Nov 21, 2009
Um, I never saw the gay tone you bring up and the film still looks stupid with nipples and asses proeminently featured. And Catwoman would only be comparable if Catwoman's suit had plastic always-hard nipples protruding from her suit.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
Honestly, its the soundtracks that I remember most about Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. Mainly that I thought they were really good.

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
minnull said:
I loved this movie when I was a kid. It was only when I grew up that I decided it was a horrible, horrible movie to defend myself from the backlash of my peers, the same ones that think all the other crappy movies we watch when we were little are still great because of nostalgia. I wouldn't be able to sit through the movie now that I'm older but I can say the same thing about a lot of other movies from the days of old.
^---- THIS

Also, from how Bob said "What I think of [Dark Knight Rises]", I think its pretty safe to assume hes seen it already in which case I say "CURSE YOU MOVIE BOB AND YOU INTERNET CELEBRITY PRIVILEGES!!!!!!"

Heres hoping "Rises" is a good movie. Not looking for another Dark Knight, just something I can enjoy.

jaymiechan

Jun 27, 2012
i'll admit i've never thought Batman and Robin was the vilest thing out there (thank you Saw films), but for me personally, i put it almost on par with Batman Forever. It was Carrey's performance that elevated it higher, and i admit i prefer the gothic stylings of the Burton Batman films (plus it started something that affects me to this day, lol).

Besides, i think Keaton got it best on the acting of being Bruce Wayne.

Mar 7, 2012
"What killed the dinosaurs? The ice age!"

Nope, I don't give a **** about the costumes being gay or whatever. Never did. It's just a dumb movie.