The Big Picture: Best Defense

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Best Defense

This week MovieBob takes us into the four Marvel series making their way to Netflix.

Watch Video

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
I think the only place I've seen Iron Fist is in the Ultimate Spiderman TV Show I was watching in a fit of boredom a few weeks back. Is that still running? I actually enjoyed it, for all that it wasn't exactly very serious.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I can dig this.

Though it would be a bit weird if the series became very serious, as it is in the same universe where norse gods strut around shouting Shakespearean verses.

Burnouts3s3

Jan 20, 2012
I think Bob's last statement is a backhanded insult on DC. As in, Marvel does something interesting each week while DC doesn't.

Jan 12, 2012
I think the Hand is a pretty safe bet for mook-level villains due to the ease of presentation (no fancy CGI spaceships or ultra-expensive costumes) while still being a step above random gangs.

And Bob, you can't a show on other things; I need someone to explain how Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver can be part of the next Avengers movie when they are tied to the X-Men license.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I get that you wanna do shows about something else, but I just wanted to say that these are some of my favorite episodes. I love the Comics Are Weird episodes (despite it not being said here) because it's always interesting to just get some perspective or information on subjects I find more interesting. But I understand if you wanna get away from this territory for a little bit (now watch Agents of SHIELD kill off someone tonight and you have to do an episode about that :p)

I've been excited for this news since it was announced, and I really want to see the direction they take it in. I also want to say that I still totally cast my Daredevil casting choice vote for Jeffrey Donovan. Burn Notice is over now and he would be PEFERECT for the part. Then again, Marvel has always managed to surprise me with their casting options, so we'll see what happens.

I guess now we just sit and wait for the stuff to come out. I do wonder what their release schedule is going to be. It wouldn't be very smart of them to just put all four series up at the same time (and also that would leave me with no idea which order to watch them in lol though it probably won't matter) I could maybe see them doing one series a month or bi-monthly or whatever.

Still excited...gotta wait...

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Luke Cage is such a bad ass! And I hope they can do something a bit less old school with Iron Fist's outfit. I mean it's fine and all, for what it was trying to be, but I'd be fine if we let the capri pants go in the new versions. And maybe the popped collar too while we're at it.

This is just all good news though. I hadn't heard much about these prior to this, so thanks for the update Bob!

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I'm SO glad I'm not the only one that thinks the Daredevil movie wasn't THAT bad... But anyway, this is such an awesome idea, you have no idea how excited I am for this! From what I've read, "The Defenders" are pretty much the poo-man's Avengers, or rather, a team comprised of people who are usually either loners by nature or heroes who, like Bob said, weren't part of a team so they joined this one. I like the angle here, since it'll focus on street-level crime rather then the more worldly-level evil the Avengers face. Also, thanks Bob for explaining who Jessica Jones is.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I feel like this is going to be a bit confusing running alongside Agents of Shield. I mean, will they be connected, will they refer to each other, or are these more like their own standalone shows, not so much connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as just a part of the Marvel List of Cool Things to Watch?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Luke Cage is such a bad ass! And I hope they can do something a bit less old school with Iron Fist's outfit. I mean it's fine and all, for what it was trying to be, but I'd be fine if we let the capri pants go in the new versions. And maybe the popped collar too while we're at it.

This is just all good news though. I hadn't heard much about these prior to this, so thanks for the update Bob!
If they do do Iron Fist's outfit as chesty as it is in some of the comics, I hope it's done bad-arseily and tastefully, and not like the weird US-Soap Operaesk nature of Arrow's army of man flesh.

jdarksun

Nov 3, 2003
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I feel like this is going to be a bit confusing running alongside Agents of Shield. I mean, will they be connected, will they refer to each other, or are these more like their own standalone shows, not so much connected to the Marvel Cinematic Universe as just a part of the Marvel List of Cool Things to Watch?
I think a tie-in with AoS is a bit of a no-brainer. They're making The Defender series for Netflix, so they probably will be looking to keep costs comparatively low. You put a rider on the contract of whatever relative newbies you get for the parts saying that they'll show up for a cameo in AoS, maybe put in a option to cameo them in a movie or two (ya gotta figure Avengers 3 is gonna be all hands on deck).

Shjade

Chaos in Jeans
Feb 2, 2010
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Might be wishful thinking on my part, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if J. August Richards popped up again for Luke Cage after his role in the AoS pilot. Yes, I know that wasn't his character's name, but eh, names are fluid. He could just decide to change it for a shot at a new life after he recovers from whatever he had to go through with Shield to clean up after the bad end of his Centipede experience. He's a guy who's clearly willing to go through experimentation nonsense to make a better life for himself and his son, I'd say the possibility is there at least. Most likely not the case, but, again, wouldn't shock me.

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
Andrew Siribohdi said:
I think Bob's last statement is a backhanded insult on DC. As in, Marvel does something interesting each week while DC doesn't.
I think you're just imaging that, he's just saying Disney and Marvel have been very active lately and that he just wants to tackle a different subject but feels obligated to cover Marvel news due to his level of knowledge and the fact that some people expect him to answer all comic questions for them. Maybe I'm incorrect but I'd guess you're a DC fan and are feeling pretty defensive.

Primus1985

Dec 24, 2009
Andrew Siribohdi said:
And thats supposed to be Marvel's fault? It cant be helped Marvel is always awesome :p

Im loving this. Luke Cage and Iron Fist where always some of my favorites. I prefer street level guys like them, Punisher, wolvie when he's being a loner, and Ghost Rider. Although Cage and Fist have been Avengers recently, even Daredevil was asked at one point. Maybe if the shows are good....Maybe we might see the Hero's for Hire in Avengers3? LOLOLOL j/k No way that'd happen.

Also if they do decided on the name "Defenders" one person they must have is: Doctor Strange. I know it may seem odd but hear me out. On those comic covers you notice who is on nearly all of them? That's right. I have some Defender's comics, usually the story goes there's some big mystical bad guy that needs to be taken care of and Doc thinks up some people he needs and poof he's got a team. Usually he picks street level or loner characters, but some Defenders where mainstays.

Maybe they could use him like Nick Fury in the Avengers, you know like scouting out these guys for a team he's building. They should make him very shadowy and mystical, because if they go for gritty and realistic he'll look silly. Really Strange can be a badass, he can do almost anything, and the addition of him to the Defender name would make it pretty awesome.

That and Im a Doctor Strange fan and I would love to see his name out there

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Thunderous Cacophony said:
And Bob, you can't a show on other things; I need someone to explain how Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver can be part of the next Avengers movie when they are tied to the X-Men license.
They're part of the Avengers licensing as well as X-Men, so both groups can use them for movies.
Marvel can't call them mutants, or mention Magneto though.
Since they're showing up in Age of Ultron, I'm a little squicked out.
Wanda (Scarlet Witch) has had three major love interests in comic history: Wonder Man, (Don't know what's up with him)
her brother, (Yes, really.) and Vision. Vision is a robot built by Ultron, so we're going to delve into Wanda's robosexuality in Age of Ultron. (There's a Big Picture episode for when you have a slow week)

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
I'd like to think Cage would proberly be the groups lynch pin while DD was the 'loner' sort of green ranger who shows up to help them but often does his own thing, but given DD's popularity I get the feeling the others might get a little over shadowed here.

Still, looks interesting.