The Big Picture: Best Defense

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Falterfire said:
I think the only place I've seen Iron Fist is in the Ultimate Spiderman TV Show I was watching in a fit of boredom a few weeks back. Is that still running? I actually enjoyed it, for all that it wasn't exactly very serious.
I watched a few episodes of that and although I didn't like it, Iron Fist was easily the best thing about that series.

OT: I wonder were Spider-man falls on the Direct to Netflix angle on the copyright gobbledygook, because I can see Spider-Man in that kinda seen.

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
Andrew Siribohdi said:
I think Bob's last statement is a backhanded insult on DC. As in, Marvel does something interesting each week while DC doesn't.
Oh no. DC has been doing a ton of interesting stuff. But interesting doesn't always mean good. I mean the Star Wars Holiday special is one of the most interesting things on the planet. The mere mention of it makes one question their perception of reality

Ken_J

Jun 4, 2009
One thing I find interesting is that the heroes they picked are very good for a TV budget. Not sure about the Jessica Jones Alias one though. But Dare Devil, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist aren't't that special effects heavy as say Iron man or Thor

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
You know what would've been interesting to see although maybe jumping the shark? Squirrel Girl. You couldn't tell me that people wouldn't see a girl dressed in a squirrel outfit who uses squirrel-type powers to fight crime. I mean just look at this backstory from the wikipedia page:

"Doom captures Iron Man, and flies over the ocean where he plans to dump Iron Man's body. Underestimating her, Doom ignores Squirrel Girl. She uses her ability to communicate with squirrels through an air vent as the ship passes over a forest. Hundreds of squirrels respond and flood Doom's ship, chewing through the wires and attacking Doom enmass..."

I don't care who you are that sounds hilarious as hell, but hey, just an opinion.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Jessica Jones, is one of my favorite new characters and the sole reason for Marvel MAX. Other than that, they're taking the Marvel Knights and turning them into the Defenders. The current Defenders lineup, however, are the Heroes for Hire - Luke Cage, Danny Rand, Misty Knight, and the rest.

Edit: Essentially Marvel has designed for Netflix about 4 versions of "Arrow", but with interestingly different power sets while remaining street level crime fighters.

Edit 2: Jessica Jones was also based on Jessica Drew and her work in Madripoor, but unfortunately it ended up that Drew had to be in use elsewhere. So Bendis basically created a whole new character, that was once a famous superhero. Bendis ended up writing Drew in his Avengers run anyway.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Right Hook said:
Andrew Siribohdi said:
I think Bob's last statement is a backhanded insult on DC. As in, Marvel does something interesting each week while DC doesn't.
I think you're just imaging that, he's just saying Disney and Marvel have been very active lately and that he just wants to tackle a different subject but feels obligated to cover Marvel news due to his level of knowledge and the fact that some people expect him to answer all comic questions for them. Maybe I'm incorrect but I'd guess you're a DC fan and are feeling pretty defensive.
DC wants to launch a lot of new shows, and Bob will talk about them once there's more news to hear about them. So far, I heard they want to make shows starring Commissioner Gordon, John Constantine, and now The Flash.

OT: I'm excited for this Netflix original series venture. It will give some much needed face-time to some of the lesser known heroes and villains of Marvel. I'd like to know how they'll do this without Spider-Man, because I thought he and Daredevil are like best friends, or something.

captcha: Progressive, it's not good advertising if you're showing me State Farm's rates are lower than yours.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Bob, I run teen programs at the library and your show is mandatory viewing these days. Last episode prepared me for the rolling Thor discussions since you dropped it, and this one is also a huge help. I knew all of this but the Alias stuff, and it's going to help me seem like less of an idiot in front of the guys I run programs for.

My random call-outs to the crazy monster movies in October didn't hurt either.

walsfeo

Feb 17, 2010
Primus1985 said:
Andrew Siribohdi said:
And thats supposed to be Marvel's fault? It cant be helped Marvel is always awesome :p
So... you haven't been watching Agents of SHIELD, have ya? ;)

Whispering Death

May 24, 2009
Am I the only one that's noticed that the best superhero movies aren't about saving the world? Batman's whole world is Gotham and he's the most popular superhero. Superman has to save the universe every movie and people walk away annoyed.

I think there's a ton of room to run in less-is-more conflicts where heroes are dealing we stakes that we can relate to. We can relate to the Joker putting bombs in buildings. It's harder to relate to space-lords from another planet trying to terraform earth or whatever.

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I think the Hand is a pretty safe bet for mook-level villains due to the ease of presentation (no fancy CGI spaceships or ultra-expensive costumes) while still being a step above random gangs.

And Bob, you can't a show on other things; I need someone to explain how Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver can be part of the next Avengers movie when they are tied to the X-Men license.
Because they both stand in a legal "grey area"

"Now, Marvel Studios president of production Kevin Feige has admitted that Quicksilver isn't the only hero who lives in a "grey area."

"There are only a handful of characters that occupy that middle ground," said Feige. "Iron Man is not going to show up over there [at Fox] and Magneto is not going to show up over here [at Marvel]. But there are a few grey points even after many years of negotiations ? and that only happens with a character like Quicksilver, who has been a part of the X-Men, the son of Magneto in those comics, but also a primary Avenger."

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49176
Look up The Big Picture episode "Rights and Wrongs" where Bob tackles this very subject

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Primus1985 said:
Also if they do decided on the name "Defenders" one person they must have is: Doctor Strange.
I was thinking that during Bob's whole piece on The Defenders. I don't know much about comic teams and their continuities, but I've come to understand The Defenders is pretty much Doctor Strange playing Zordon to whatever "lesser" heroes who happen to be available/relevant at the time. Sold.

Come to think of it... isn't that also Silver Surfer's only "official" team? (ignoring the frequent associations with the Fantastic Four). Could it be that Disney finally flexed some muscle and quietly acquired the rights to Marvel characters owned by other studios? Does Disney have the balls (and foresight) to tease an F4/Avengers cross (and if so, who would play Human Torch?)? Does one dare to dream of finally letting Spider-man use his most amazing power: his ability to network? (having presence in and direct interaction with pretty much every other Marvel continuity... seriously, you can link pretty much any two Marvel characters almost directly through Spider-man, it's like Marvel Kevin Bacon.)

...no, probably not. But it is a beautiful dream.

person427

May 28, 2009
No! I was really hoping they would save the name for the Dr. Strange/Namor/Silver Surfer/Valkyrie team. I was also hoping Avengers 2 and 3 would show Hulk and Hawkeye leaving, so that they could head over to the Defenders for a bit. Then everything would be set for a movie version of Avengers vs Defenders. I was starting to think that was more likely, because

Loki's been getting pretty popular and he has a huge role in that story line. He even ends up saving the day

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
We don't get Netflix in New Zealand... Which sucks. I hope I can get em on DVD if they're good.

walsfeo said:
Primus1985 said:
Andrew Siribohdi said:
And thats supposed to be Marvel's fault? It cant be helped Marvel is always awesome :p
Is that show bad? I haven't had a chance to see it yet.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
I'm most likely in the minority here, but I'm sick of comic book heroes. They poorly adapt to modern era, their powers are often ridiculous and acquired in the most cartoon-y ways, they are rarely interesting as characters, they are often inconsistent and incoherent, they are basic in design and are too malleable in the hands of writers, they are often situational with their powers, they almost always carry a tone of useless baggage from their comic book "heritage", they dont end, they just get "re-imagined", they often get written into absurd story lines that dont even belong in 21st century (I mean purple-man, really?!), and the list goes on. Again, I'm most likely in the minority here, tiny minority, and I hope fans wont try to kill me, but that is how I feel about the comic book movie craze.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
AJey said:
I'm most likely in the minority here, but I'm sick of comic book heroes. They poorly adapt to modern era, their powers are often ridiculous and acquired in the most cartoon-y ways, they are rarely interesting as characters, they are often inconsistent and incoherent, they are basic in design and are too malleable in the hands of writers, they are often situational with their powers, they almost always carry a tone of useless baggage from their comic book "heritage", they dont end, they just get "re-imagined", they often get written into absurd story lines that dont even belong in 21st century (I mean purple-man, really?!), and the list goes on. Again, I'm most likely in the minority here, tiny minority, and I hope fans wont try to kill me, but that is how I feel about the comic book movie craze.
True
Only few heroes could fit in modern day setting
And those are mostly technology driven ones (Iron man and Cyborg, to name few of my head)
But to be fair superheroes were ridiculous to begin with, so...

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
One word: DIS-MART. That is the future of planet Earth, ladies and gentlemen. Get used to it.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
chozo_hybrid said:
walsfeo said:
Is that show bad? I haven't had a chance to see it yet.
It's a bit controversial. Overall it reviewed quite well, but man, the haters really hate it.

AJey said:
I'm most likely in the minority here, but I'm sick of comic book heroes.
Well, it's kind of a self-selected group. Why are you watching a Big Picture episode explicitly about comic book heroes if you're sick of them? But of course most people don't bother with these shows, so overall you're probably not any sort of minority. And that's fine. Shows don't need majorities. Dedicated minorities are quite sufficient.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Marvel TV series involving the street level heroes? Would it be too much to hope for a Punisher series or Moon Knight?

A man can dream...

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
"Left4Dead: In The Himalaya's"; now that sounds like an interesting game. I suppose you could use the regional culture to legitimize the use of Kung Fu in combat. And let's be honest here: who doesn't like the idea of using martial arts against zombies?*

*C.U.R.E., I suppose, but in that same game Chuck Greene seems pretty OK with it.