The Big Picture: Boy Blunder

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Bob, you made me giggle, than laugh right out loud, in that order, with your end to this video. Excellently done.
And honestly, I don't give a fuck about Bieber either. I don't go looking for new and I don't have anything to say about it unless someone specifically asks me, in which case I say, "Why are you asking me? With all the interesting and important things you could be asking me for an opinion about, why are you asking me about Bieber? GAH!" Admittedly, I do get kind of annoyed whenever my radar happens to pick him up, but you'd be surprised how much easier that is than people think.

In any case, I'd actually like to see a well-done Robin in a Batman movie. Or, I would if I wasn't sick of Batman movies and wanted them to go away for a while so I could refresh them. Yeah, Robin was created as a marketing vehicle to try and get the younger audience interested, that's pretty much a fact, but there's potential to make Robin an interesting character and build an interesting dymanic between he and Batman. It's all how you do it.
(Hint: not how Joel Schumacker did it)

Zer0Saber

Aug 20, 2008
yeah, such a thing would never happen. I saw that episode of CSI, he can't act for crap.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Eh, I wouldn't be sore about seeing him as Robin.
Provided it was Jason Todd, know what I mean?

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
To my knowledge, Justin Timberlake was a little like Bieber, in that he was either loved or hated because of his poppy, boy-band background. But then he actually turned out to be an okay actor. I just wonder if Bieber, on the very slight off chance he turned out to be an okay actor in a big-budget film like this, would be forgiven his sins against music & pop culture, too? Or is he too big?

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
It's funny how the internet has an opinion on what career choices other people should do.

For example, the sea of bitchiness that enjoys whining whenever Paris Hilton tries to do something but does a 'not that good' job of it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
The age of "Too Much Information". Who need the NSA when we have bloggers?
Well, bloggers can't tell me your plans for the weekend, while the NSA...I've said too much!

Actually, Facebook usually covers that.

Funny thing is I'd heard nothing about this Bieber crap. It's like, if you don't constantly look for this stuff....

I mean, it's Bob's "job" of sorts to be keyed in to this crap, but people in general? Confuse me.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
For a while there I was afraid Bob had fallen for the whole thing and was doing a 5 minute rant about it. Glad to find out it was basically the opposite, and a really good episode at that.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Oh, so you're saying the movie benefits from Bieber as some kind of Decoy Effect for a real robin if ever that should be added? That could be true but the movie may also suffer from individuals writing off the movie as a laughing stock now without any concern for news in the future.

cthulhuspawn82

Oct 16, 2011
whether its true or not, this whole issue shows what is so terrible about American film-making. The whole process is based around the cult of personality/celebrity. Lets not worry about getting good actors or people who are right for the part, lets just get all the popular/beautiful people we can and plaster the poster with their faces. This is why super-heroes cant keep their masks on in American films, and it's how Samuel Jackson gets practically all his roles. I think Dredd was one of the most revolutionary films of the decade for having a main character who was willing to wear his mask through the whole movie. I don't expect to see man (any?) other films with that level of dignity.

Jennacide

Dec 6, 2007
Yeah, screw talking about Beiber, we should talk about more important things like the fact we still have no confirmation on a Ms Marvel movie. They're doing an Ant-man movie, strangely after Avengers 2 which apparently is loosely based on the Age of Ultron, but Ant-man won't be in Avengers 2. And worse yet, Ant-man is only well known for two things, changing his size up and down and ruthlessly beating his wife The Wasp on a near constant basis. Let's get a Ms Marvel movie going, Carol is an awesome character. Well, as long as you ignore the super creepy part about where her son came from. I think that got retconned anyway, at least I certainly hope so.

Merklyn236

Jun 21, 2013
For one shining moment, MovieBob, I thought you were going to reach for something profound. Then you trolled us, with the Sackhoff/Ms Marvel thing.

You stay classy there MovieBob....

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Exaggeration or not, Katee Sackhoff as Ms/Captain Marvel is absolutely a golden idea, and one I desperately want, regardless of this Bieber nonsense. Even if that isn't happening at the moment, can't we just get that to happen? Because, really now. Katee Sackhoff as Carol Danvers. Could you drum up a better casting?

Cavouku

Mar 14, 2008
I can't help but agree that Bieber isn't really worth the attention, and this is nonsense rumour is overblown. I think we have to acknowledge that the kid is just kinda awful, both in music and as a person by most accounts, but not worth the attention, and would suck as any Robin.

Especially Jason Todd. He's a badass, and like, one of my favourite DC characters. We say Bieber die that one time on CSI, and he wasn't very good at it then, I don't think he'd be better at it in tights.

That said, if they're going for a sort of contrast between Dark n' Gritty Nolan Batman, and something a touch more campy with Affleck Batman in this Bat VS Supes movie, I can't think of a better way to seamlessly show that contrast in-action than by involving Todd in some fashion.

Though I just like seeing the Rebel Robin in more stuff. He was excellent in Under the Red Hood (voiced by Jensen Ackles), and while Grayson contrasted Batman's serious side, Todd contrasted Bat's "pacifistic" side (Drake I haven't done much research on, nor the Batgirls and Damian) in a manner I find infinitely compelling...

...S'never gonna happen, so just lemme have this speculation window to vent.