The Big Picture: Celebritoons

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Gordon_4 said:
saintdane05 said:
No mention of Thomas the Tank Engine, AKA Ringo Starr/George Carlin/ALEC DAMN BALDWIN talks for five minutes?

<youtube=iPLCx7jgQq8>
I will hear no words spoken against Beatles narrated Thomas the Tank Engine, heretic!
I ain't! Hell, Thomas and Friends was my favorite show growing up! Just last month, I spent nearly $200 on some of the toys.
Incidentally, have you ever been on the Sodor Island Fansite? Has some really good stuff on there, including audio productions based off the Railway series.
<youtube=eYOitQT6YmQ>

Gordon_4_v1legacy

Aug 22, 2010
saintdane05 said:
Gordon_4 said:
saintdane05 said:
No mention of Thomas the Tank Engine, AKA Ringo Starr/George Carlin/ALEC DAMN BALDWIN talks for five minutes?

<youtube=iPLCx7jgQq8>
I will hear no words spoken against Beatles narrated Thomas the Tank Engine, heretic!
I ain't! Hell, Thomas and Friends was my favorite show growing up! Just last month, I spent nearly $200 on some of the toys.
Incidentally, have you ever been on the Sodor Island Fansite? Has some really good stuff on there, including audio productions based off the Railway series.
<youtube=eYOitQT6YmQ>
Sorry, accusation of heresy withdrawn. Long live the Fat Controller!

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
ShirowShirow said:
I liked "Jackie Chan Adventures" (I'm too old to add "When I was a kid" to that) but the first thing that came to mind for me was the Puffy Ami Yumi Show. Apparently Teen Titans was so popular another show got greenlit based on the popularity of its' theme song alone.
Yeah but Jackie Chan adventures had an actual story which is why it was awesome.

OT: I REMEMBER GRAVESDALE HIGH! NOSTALGIA BOMB!!!

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
ShirowShirow said:
I liked "Jackie Chan Adventures" (I'm too old to add "When I was a kid" to that) but the first thing that came to mind for me was the Puffy Ami Yumi Show. Apparently Teen Titans was so popular another show got greenlit based on the popularity of its' theme song alone.
Man, I remember really enjoying Puffy Ami Yumi Show. I wonder if it still holds up.

OT: I had about a 60/40 split on those shows from the 90s that I knew of. Can't say I watched many of them though.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
The whole time I was thinking about the kind of people that must have written those theme songs.
They either believed it was a good idea the whole way through, or it was a painful, soul crushing process for a group of writers.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
This was just disturbing. I havent grown up in the US, and the concept of celebritoons....I'm just disturbed.

Interesting video as always Bob.

General Vagueness

Feb 24, 2009
Strain42 said:
General Vagueness said:
I'm disappointed, he basically slapped some pieces of cartoons together and added some voice-over and those same faces he always uses; he didn't have a point or a bigger thing he was commenting on or even presenting and he even said so. The discussion is better than the episode, actually.
Maybe you and I just have different tastes in this show, but these are the sorts of episodes that I love seeing him do. When I just get to learn and see about some stuff that I didn't know about before. Admittedly I prefer when he goes into a bit more detail on the subject, this one felt just like a junk drawer episode that had a theme (I mean Sucker Punch got two episodes, why couldn't this? Expand on some of these)

But I prefer these fun pop culture trivia episodes over stuff like the With Great Power episode he did a few weeks back.
I'm not saying I don't like this type of episode, I'm saying I don't like that there seemed to be little effort put into it. Personally I didn't find the stuff he copied and pasted to be that funny or interesting, but even when it is funny or interesting, I don't like when copypasta'd clips take up this much time (which happens once every couple months, and more often he gets close to that level).

ThetaReactor

Apr 21, 2010
Watched lots of Bobby's World and Camp Candy. They were both reasonably decent, and Bobby's mom did more for that crazy Great Lakes accent than Fargo ever did.

I remember catching Bruno the Kid before school, too. The show was fairly solid, but it reminds me that Bruce Willis was also a pioneer in the CelebriGame world, too, starring in the PSX game Apocalypse.

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
I actually really like life with Louie back when I was a kid, especially his dad was incredibly funny.

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
Bindal said:
No mentioning if "Jackie Chan Adventures"? Now I am disappointed... (probably the only show of this kind that I ever saw, too.)
I know, right? Though I think since MovieBobs cartoon knowledge seems to stop at around the late 90s/early 2000s, and Jackie Chan Adventures was early 2000s, I wasn't surprised it wasn't there.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Wow, Bob's scraping the bottom of the barrel with the show selection this week. They all looked like complete crap.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Might be dating myself here, but I watched several of those... the nostalgia, i feelz it. >.>

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Well those are images I can't unsee, thanks Bob

It's both weird, and interesting to see what was produced back in the day, and how the times have changed between then and now. Though I still don't understand how anyone working on Hammerman heard that theme song and said "Yep, I have no problems about anything in this theme song, nothing wrong whatsoever," cause that made me want to stab someone just to make it stop

And I would assume he didn't use Jackie Chan because while it was selling out JC, it also wasn't AS surreal. I'm not saying that finding mystical artifacts to stop an evil dragon from using super powers is common place, but it felt a little more grounded in reality than something like, well whatever the hell Muhammad Ali's show was. It was about the very out of place shows I would assume