The Big Picture: Comics in The 90s: What Happened?

Rossco64

Apr 14, 2009
Really Bob? F.R.I.E.N.D.S? You don't have to like it but I'm pretty sure there is a whole list bad shows you could have put in it's place. Then again...

The Simpsons (recently voted the gretest sitcom from the last 30 years)
South Park
Fraiser
Beavis and Butthead
Friends
Malcolm in the Middle
Animaniacs
Freakazoid
King of the Hill
Everybody Loves Raymond
Spaced
Black Books
Daria
The Critic
X-Files
Law and Order
WCW (early 90s)
WWE (late 90s)
Seinfeld
Father Ted
Cartoon Network
The Fresh Price of Bel-Air
Home Improvement
Batman: The Animated series
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Sex in the City (for the ladies)
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Kenan and Kel

Perhaps the 90s wasn't a bad decade for television.

Elijah Newton

Sep 17, 2008
CWestfall said:
the only two things the 90s created that I legitimately like without qualification or reservation are:

1) Python
2) 1995's "Hackers" starring Jonny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie
*nervous finger drumming* Um. Umm... I was right there with you up until a couple months ago when, in a fit of nostalgia, I tried to watch Hackers. I got through it but it wasn't the movie I remembered. I'm not saying you shouldn't like it, just maybe don't go back and watch it again. It might be better in your head.

Python pretty much rocks, though. I hadn't known it came about in the 90s!

Deathlyphil

Mar 6, 2008
Just out of interest, is it possible that Bob could talk about non-American comics? Where's the love for 2000AD? What about Judge Dredd? Possibly the only character to run for about 30 years in the same continuity?

Realitycrash

Dec 12, 2010
Hey, SANDMAN and Hellblazer both did fine during the 90's.

Seriously, why no Big Picture for Sandman? I'd argue it's one of the most important comics of all time.

MetalMagpie

Jun 13, 2011
Elijah Newton said:
CWestfall said:
the only two things the 90s created that I legitimately like without qualification or reservation are:

1) Python
2) 1995's "Hackers" starring Jonny Lee Miller and Angelina Jolie
*nervous finger drumming* Um. Umm... I was right there with you up until a couple months ago when, in a fit of nostalgia, I tried to watch Hackers. I got through it but it wasn't the movie I remembered. I'm not saying you shouldn't like it, just maybe don't go back and watch it again. It might be better in your head.
I have this exact problem with Disney films. I watched Robin Hood again with a few friends at university and the experience was so painful that I've promised myself never ever to rewatch The Lion King or Beauty and the Beast (my two absolute favourites). In my head, they can stay perfect films.

I saw Hackers for the very first time a couple of years ago (on the insistence of my boyfriend) and thought it had dated quite a bit, but was still fairly entertaining (ignoring the odd cringe-worthy line). Still not one I'd rush to watch again.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
franksands said:
Image Comics is doing some very good things now, almost 20 years later, like Saga and Chew.
This is true, but Image has been bought out by DC, so they're more of an imprint like Vertigo now, instead of a challenger to the big two publishers.

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Welcome to March is 90's month,
where bad comics burn.
MovieBob's gonna teach you all
a lesson you won't learn.
Liefeld, you're not the smartest.
Image, needs more than artists.
Any artists who had a comic published,
fame gave them a turn.
Movie Bob
Dark Age! Merch! Making blood go splat!
Movie Bob!
Speculator boom! Gotta purchase that!
Linkara!
Egos, bankruptcy, scarceness disappeared!
Movie Bob!
COMICS. ARE, WEIRD!
MOVIE BOB!
Can I hug you now? Like, genuine, huge, I LOVE YOU hug?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I am glad I entirely missed the whole comic book industry during the decade. >_>

It is weird when so many shows made and marketed towards children had better writing, more actually mature themes, and stand up better to time than the things made and marketed exclusively towards adults.

Airon

Jan 8, 2012
Gaah! What a tease for the next episode. Like whisking away half the biscuit as I was eating it.

Great episode.
My favorite comic possesions(don't buy much these days) come from aroudn the 80s, leading in to the 90s a bit. Solid writing is the basis to me. Chris Clairmont's Wolverine and Neil Gaiman's Sandman (Dollhouse in particular) are from that publishing era.

Btw, does the next episode have anything to do with Mangas ? :p When I saw Akira in the cinema I became a fan of that series, and who doesn't at least know about the "three episodes to warm up to a battle"-series Dragonball. :)

Nghtgnt

May 30, 2010
Nooners said:
What's Bob referring to there in the End? I admit that I have no clue whatsoever...
Neil Gaiman vs Todd Mcfarlane. Gaiman created Violator, Medieval Spawn, and Angela when he wrote a couple issues of Spawn, but then was in some legal battles to secure partial ownership of those characters. Ironic considering the whole Image Comics formed to give creators control/ownership of their creations...

Anyways, at the end of Marvel's current Age of Ultron event Neil Gaiman is supposedly co-writing the last issue and Angela will be showing up, which I believe is to segue into Marvel's next event, which I think Gaiman will be writing some of.

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/21/marvels-age-of-ultron-features-controversial-angel/

Crimson_Dragoon

Biologist Supreme
Jul 29, 2009
I love that your shining example of bad 90s comics is Youngblood. Everything possibly wrong with that era of comics summed up in one pile of crap.

And while I will agree with many others here that the 90s was actually pretty good (I'll take it over the 80s any day), that was not a great time for comic books. And yes, I know there was some great stuff out there, I'm talking on more general terms.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
How dumb was the speculator boom? Even Calvin and Hobbes, whose creator likely knew jack-all about comic books, made fun of it [http://www.gocomics.com/calvinandhobbes/1995/03/01].

brazuca

Jun 11, 2008
One of the things I look back in the comics in the 1990's and the reason I started reading manga (actually I don't read manga nowadays, except for One Piece) was because comics in the 1990's was trying to hard to shock me. Everything became convoluted, dark and complicated. Good literature comes from human drama, not from those ultra complex convoluted, clone story that some writes come up with.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Smokescreen said:
franksands said:
Image Comics is doing some very good things now, almost 20 years later, like Saga and Chew.
This is true, but Image has been bought out by DC, so they're more of an imprint like Vertigo now, instead of a challenger to the big two publishers.
That's... not even close to true.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
scnj said:
Smokescreen said:
franksands said:
That's... not even close to true.
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Smokescreen said:
franksands said:

Were did you read that? I can't find any evidence of it with google.
I apologize, I was incorrect.

The correct statement would have been to say that Jim Lee's stuff in WildStorm productions became part of DC comics. I was under a misunderstanding myself.

Bonus captcha amusement: 'face the music'.