The Big Picture: Continuity Wars

Zombie Sodomy

Feb 14, 2013
Normally I get very passionate about continuity, but since I've never really thought of the EU as canon, and I'm determined not to watch any of the new movies anyways; I don't really care that much this time. When the movie's come out I'll be retreating into my happy place where I will pretend nothing is happening and punch every person who tries to tell me what happens in the face.

cyvaris

May 10, 2011
Desert Punk said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I'm Bob, and I'm a Nintendo fanboy
You know, I don't really care much for the storylines in the extended universe, but I wouldn't have minded A Mara Jade.
Bonus of this approach... They might get rid of the Vong in their new stories!
HUZZAH!!!

If it means losing Thrawn I will GLADLY make THAT trade!

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I thought the Clone Wars cartoon was writing over a lot of EU canon anyway. And it's not like this is the first time this has happened. The prequels undid a lot of EU material that existed up to that point.

If you read through the extensive discussion of canon on Wookiepedia [http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon], it's clear that through the whole history of the franchise, whatever happened in the live-action films is canon, and any other media is generally accepted as canon until Lucasfilm decides it isn't.

Lucasfilm has the right to mine whatever ideas they like from EU canon, and they probably will use a couple. But adopt that byzantine web wholesale? Not likely.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I can understand and accept Disney taking the extended universe and taking a massive "non-canon" stamp to it: there's just way too much baggage to have to deal with and there's no way in Hell you're going to appease everybody if you try making it all work. That being said though, I really don't want Knights of the Old Republic and the Darth Bane book trilogy to be non-canon. KotOR I can understand but Darth Bane has a tangible link to Darth Sidious by virtue of instituting The Rule of Two.

Kuro Serpentina said:
Wow...
Bob really geeked out over the Mario Canon...
Can't tell if thats kinda sad
¬_>¬
Or kinda freaking cute...
Welcome to The Escapist! Don't mind Uncle Bob...he gets really passionate about Super Mario Bros.

Bara_no_Hime

Sep 15, 2010
Great video!

And... having seen your divergence into the continuity of Super Mario... can we have an episode on that? That was actually really interesting. A whole episode on your take on the Mushroom Kingdom and related items would be really, really interesting to watch.

So consider this one request for a Super Mario Brothers focused episode.

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
Wait... Mario has a story? I mean I know I never played far enough into a game too get too a cut scene before just going "Well, I'm bored" and turning it off." You can not convince me there is a coherent story in there somewhere.

Matthewmagic

Feb 13, 2010
To that effect I know the feel. I watched the doctor who (1996) movie yesterday. I have not accepted it as cannon dispite the fact that the reboot has. The doctor is not half human, despite all the things you can claim to make that make sense I refuse to believe it. There was no 8th doctor. The 7nth doctor regenerated in the time war, then regenerated again during the same war they just used paul McGann too keep so they could show 10 doctors in the eleventh hour. I refuse to believe other wise. No!!! *gasp, and begins panting*

*curls up in the corner and begins crying* why did they have too make him half human in a shitty tv movie where he could have just as easily been a timelord and it would have made just as much sense. I.E. None.

I can't even look at the reboot the same way anymore...

Diane Miller

Jul 2, 2011
I dearly love how you undercut your own (perfectly valid) arguments with that last 20 seconds - and I'm not being snarky. Not only was it hilarious, but it mirrors how most such discussions go. "Oh, you're just a Star Wars geek. None of that stuff is real and nobody cares. What? No, JANEWAY was the best captain EVER..." and so on.

Well done.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
We need an episode about Mario's continuity ASAP. It will be glorious.

Also: Disney could VERY easily shoot itself in the foot and/or retcon stuff (un)intentionally with these backstory films.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
Huh...I actually agree with the brothers being from Brooklyn as well, Bob. Of course...I also think it was actually A Mario and not THE Mario who actually rescued Daisy in the events of Super Mario Land. How else would you explain why Daisy and the green guy seem to be a pairing? (Think about THAT one for a moment...)

Still...the point that we shouldn't be all that worried about canon makes sense. As a fanfiction writer, one of the tenets I stick to is the idea that fanfiction is NEVER canon...even if it keeps characters, settings, etc. well within how they are within the core series made by the guys who actually own the IP. Might help in regards to the upcoming Star Wars trilogy if we disregard the extended universe until we see what Abrams comes up with. Who knows? The story might actually be good as long as we aren't blinded by the lensflare.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Ha, the whole part dugging deep into Mario contiunity make me want to see a John Carter/ Warlord of Mars version of Mario fanart!
So you're saying if the new Star Wars is good, we gonna get new Star Wars material (the part when you show the Avengers film and we got the new 52)?

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
Ok,
as a long time fan of EU books (The Truce at Bakura is in my top 5 books I re-read to death pile) I agree that some of it can, at times be silly (an ex-imperial admeral becoming leader of the GA, c'mon, really?!), at times, undermine its own mythology (are jedi telephathic or not, make up your mind EU writers!) and often just gets to complex for its own good (One day I will understand the Legacy of the Force series' plot). BUT! Sometimes it just tells really excellent stories staring characters that you can get really invested in.
Is it rediculous that I hold Han and Leia's marriage as an example of how to do it right? Actually no, because a group of writers over the years have poured their own interpritation of what Han and Leia's relationship is all about creating this wonderful narrative. That's good characterisation, even if it's got 'Star Wars' on the cover.
Will I be sad that teenage Ben Skywalker, adult Jaina Solo and Master Saba Sabatyne won't show up in the new films, yes, because I love those characters but it doesn't stop them existing!
As an aside, the Fate of the Jedi series is Star Wars at its best, it manages to strip away most of the over-complex plotting, get back to the characters and use a glaxay far, far away to explore ideas of selfishness vs. selflessness, good vs. evil, moral relativeism, farther/son relationships and everything inbetween. Sure, it's EU but I dare anyone to tell me that its not well-written and isn't fun. Afterall, Twilight is badly written and people love that story.

With any luck someone's going into this new project with an idea to explore or a story to tell other than just 'let's make another Star Wars film' because that's when things are rubbish.

What I don't want to see is disney feeling like they have to throw us a bone and just bring in a character for the sake of fan service, that would be stupid. (On a serious note, is this thing going to be live-action?)

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008
Matthewmagic said:
Wait... Mario has a story? I mean I know I never played far enough into a game too get too a cut scene before just going "Well, I'm bored" and turning it off." You can not convince me there is a coherent story in there somewhere.
'One day the kingdom of the peaceful mushroom people was invaded by the Koopa, a tribe of turtles famous for their black magic. The quiet, peace-loving Mushroom People were turned into mere stones, bricks and even field horse-hair plants, and the Mushroom Kingdom fell into ruin.' -- Super Mario Bros Instruction Booklet

Always had a story, and frankly a very macabre one when you consider it. I mean Mario smashes bricks with his fists to collect the insides. Also horse-hair plants are actually mushrooms with long thin stems that have a white underbelly and darken on the top towards the center, usually to a dark red shade, just the fire flower.

Phuctifyno

Jul 6, 2010
This episode was most enjoyable. I am full of agreement... agreeance?... agreeness? ...greenhornet?

Though I couldn't help but notice that it was only prequel footage used in the B-roll... an interesting and curious choice.