The Big Picture: Correctitude

the clockmaker

Jun 11, 2010
BobDobolina said:
I gotta say, we may disagree on a few things, but taht was very funny

I think that all the jokes that I know about race relations are much too offensive too repeat, having working with a lot of real racists in my time, so, in the interests of preserving my moderate status, I shall censor them,

What do you call BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK the defendent.
Why BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK your bike
what do you call BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK a homeowner
WHat do you do when you see BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK BLANK reload.

I feel really bad at laughing at those

MrGalactus

Elite Member
Sep 18, 2010
metalmanky306 said:
THEJORRRG said:
You know what, I think we're in agreement here. It's more the listeners responsibility to have a sense of humor and to not take themselves seriously than it is for the speaker to be careful with their words. If you're not specifically trying to offend, then you shouldn't have to be treated like someone who is.
I still think it's best for us to be respectful of others, though. Some people do take themselves seriously, and society does attach far too much gravity to certain words, but I'm not going to use hurtful words just because they shouldn't be as hurtful as they are.
your two paragraphs contradict eachother a little don't they? yet i am in agreeement with you - i guess they should contradict 'cause it's about compromise. i think the only thing bob did wrong in this video, i think, is talk about bigots while being somewhat bigoted to the other extreme. the only thing i say differently to you is, don't get me wrong, there are lines i wouldn't cross in certain situations but, when it's called for, i WOULD use those words simply to make the point that they shouldn't be as hurtful as they are.
Yeah, lol I'm pretty sure we're trying to explain the same thing over and over, so I'll sum it up. Words shouldn't be taken too seriously, and hopefully eventually they won't be, but for now they do, so I'll watch what I say.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
BobDobolina said:
UltraHammer said:
He's recently gotten up about the tea partiers, criticizing their American president the same way we have for decades (just on a bigger scale than usual) have been labeled by so many as motivated only by racism. Which is completely untrue
You have a way bigger problem, then, than "political correctness." Like making sure all the actual rabid racists who call themselves Tea Partiers get the memo [http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/19/AR2010071903686.html]. And making sure you're not naive about how many of those there actually are. [http://www.economist.com/blogs/lexington/2010/07/tea-party_racism]
Nice try. "The tea party is motivated only by racism" is as untrue as "Muslims are all terrorists". No one ever said that none of them went too far; and it's not like any of the civil ones like them or stand up for them.

http://www.cracked.com/article_18950_9-major-stories-everyone-got-wrong-this-year.html
Read #8.

hexFrank202

Mar 21, 2010
BobDobolina said:
What "try"? It's genuinely the bigger problem.
You can't say stuff like:
"You have a bigger problem...", or "...making sure you're not naive..."
And not be trying to discredit me because you've decided that I'm not on your side: and you've got to do stuff to make me sound wrong.

But of course, now you're lessening your claims to just "it's a bigger problem". You know, since you read Cracked, are you familiar with the "internet argument techniques"? ;\

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
BmoreAkuma said:
That argument is like saying calling a black the n word or calling a gay male the F word then have the nerve to say "it's only words dont give them power"
And that is an argument I would completely agree with. Why do we let words like "******" or "******" have power over us to be "forbidden words"? Why can't we change the meaning? Surely they can be used in a different way. Hell, the guys from South Park tried using "******" as an alternative for "douchey jerks who ride Harleys". If there is genuine hatred behind the words, then there is more to it. But if not, they are just words and nothing more.

carletonman

Oct 29, 2010
The problem with political correctness is that far too often it is used so simply shut down debate on uncomfortable topics or ideas, rather than being used to promote tolerance and acceptance among different communities. If someone tries to bring up issues with Islam for example, they are called an Islamophobe, branded as a racist, and shut out from the political discourse. Christie Blatchford (a prominent Canadian columnist for the Globe and Mail), was banned recently from a university campus because her views of Islam were viewed as "racist," and her work labeled as "hate speech" despite the fact that it was neither.

tl:dr - Political correctness has become a monster that no longer does what it's supposed to.

metalmanky306

Dec 30, 2010
THEJORRRG said:
Yeah, lol I'm pretty sure we're trying to explain the same thing over and over, so I'll sum it up. Words shouldn't be taken too seriously, and hopefully eventually they won't be, but for now they do, so I'll watch what I say.
yeah, and I, on the other hand, will use those words, in the hope that people can take them less seriously in future :D

i think we're done here now lol

Harbinger_

Jan 8, 2009
You sounded like you were ready to chew through iron at the end there. While I agree with everything you said when it comes to casting in a movie and using fantasy novels as a setting I can see both sides. There were no people of ethnicity other than caucasian within norse mythology so having someone that is just seems out of place, and to some may seem as if people of other ethnicity are cast simply to 'even things out' as some people on the forums put it.

While I respect your opinion, (Otherwise I wouldn't watch your videos.) There are people out there that aren't trying to be bigots when they point things like this out.

maximara

Jul 13, 2008
Mertruve said:
Dude, the point of Wikipedia is that everything has an external, credible source.
In theory. The reality is another matter and sometime you have sources conflicting with each other or requiring expertise just to understand what they are even saying. This is assuming there is much out there on the topic at hand that *is* credible.

BmoreAkuma

Feb 26, 2011
SilverUchiha said:
BmoreAkuma said:
That argument is like saying calling a black the n word or calling a gay male the F word then have the nerve to say "it's only words dont give them power"
And that is an argument I would completely agree with. Why do we let words like "******" or "******" have power over us to be "forbidden words"? Why can't we change the meaning? Surely they can be used in a different way. Hell, the guys from South Park tried using "******" as an alternative for "douchey jerks who ride Harleys". If there is genuine hatred behind the words, then there is more to it. But if not, they are just words and nothing more.
That is an ideal fantasy when comes "words and their meaning" If that is the case then what is the point of a dictionary? Why not just change all words in human language with different meaning then it would lead to confusion on the person "intent" or "meaning"

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
BmoreAkuma said:
SilverUchiha said:
BmoreAkuma said:
That is an ideal fantasy when comes "words and their meaning" If that is the case then what is the point of a dictionary? Why not just change all words in human language with different meaning then it would lead to confusion on the person "intent" or "meaning"
Not trying to confuse people. Just trying to make the world better. Why let bad words always remain bad? Why not revise and improve them? What is the point of the fucking dictionary? What is the point of words (aside from communication)? What I'm getting at is who arbitrarily decided to give words whatever meaning they have? People are always saying that the declaration of independence should be revised as the language is outdated and should be updated to meet with the language and technology of today. Why can't that same logic apply to all words? I honestly think you are just closed minded on such an issue that has such a simple fix.