The Big Picture: Depth of a Salesman

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Oh the memories when the long moment of pictures from children TV shows rolled on my computer screen...

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I ended my subscription to Nintendo Power a long while ago... Now I feel bad for doing so. :(

I also like the in-depth look at marketing and entertainment, nicely put.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
Does it really matter that a show was created just to sell toys if the characters and narrative are compelling? I don't think so.

Fenris Frost

Oct 22, 2009
Bob's right. It's good to see that consumer culture hasn't become a horrific, bloated mass; a foul god the Western world venerate alternative to or sometimes comorbid with organised religion. It's also nice to see people mourn for such a magazine. The gravity and solemnity was not bordering on the obscene. I do hope Nintendo don't go under as a consequence, being a charitable venture for the good of children everywhere and all. But seriously, this is grotesque.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
I remember Nintendo Power. It's crazy to think it's coming to an end, especially since it and I came into this world around the same time.

I mean I was never an avid reader of it or anything, but it's a change.

I still remember when my favorite gaming magazine (Play) stopped being published. I was heartbroken.

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Wow, I'm not from the States, so I didn't know the magazine lasted this much. I thought it died long ago.

Satosuke

Dec 18, 2007
In my house, we got Gamepro and Nintendo Power. My younger brother always dug into NP first.

I always preferred Gamepro because I wanted news for more than just one platform, but NP was just as much a necessary fixture to me as a kid. Now both are gone.

P.S. - Fuck GameInformer.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
About same here, Nintendo Power web site was also one of the first web site I ever visited, back in the PLAY IT LOUD days.

GenGenners

Jul 25, 2012
As someone who wasn't raised on Nntendo, I'm surprised a whole episode got devoted to this. It doesn't seem like THAT big a deal. Sad yes, but some people around the net are acting like the industry's heart just got freaking eaten by Hannibal Lecter.

Liked the part about media regulations though.

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
I was never into Nintendo Power, but nice reflection on fiction sometimes managing to be more than its commodity origins.

Orekoya

Sep 24, 2008

Oracles of the playground sounds about right, One other and I were the only ones to beat final fantasy for the nes and we were the only two with copies of this. We met from that and we still know and keep in touch with each other to this day 22 years later. Time to dig out it and my copy of final fantasy from storage and do a victory lap.