The Big Picture: Depth of a Salesman

CronoT

May 15, 2010
While Nintendo DID use the magazine as a marketing tool, (The budget for the original magazine CAME from the marking dept.) they were also fiercely loyal to their reader base. Back when Mega Man X2 first got released, I got the Nintendo Power issue touting that game. It was ripped, torn, and half the cover page was missing. I sent Nintendo a letter, in the mail, (Stop laughing you trolls) saying that I valued the magazines, not just as a source of information, but as a potential nostalgia market down the line. About two weeks later, I received a certified package in the mail, sealed in a bubble-wrap envelope.

It was a second, FREE copy of the same magazine issue, with a letter apologizing about the shape my original issue came in, and that they hoped this one would arrive in better shape. They spent money to send me an extra copy of my damaged issue, because my customer loyalty was important to them.

Now THAT is respecting your customer base. Bravo, Nintendo. We'll miss you, old friend.

(I subscribed to Nintendo Power from 1990 to 2001.)

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
sinsfire said:
Joos said:
What is the cartoon at the 4:00 mark called? I remember watching a lot of it as a kid, but I have no recollection what its name is. Help!
If you mean the dinosaurs in clothes its called dinosaucers. If you mean the trucks with teeth I am trying to figure that out as well
Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

BOOM headshot65

Jul 7, 2011
Why do I get the feeling that Bob isnt a big fan of Reagan (he would be in a minority there, according to polls)

kamay

Nov 9, 2010
I was a loyal subscriber of Nintendo Power from Issue 14 to Issue 195 and stopped subscribing when the magazine truly became more of an advertisement and less about the games/strats. To this day I still have 24 of my fav centre-fold posters hanging up and I wish I didn't toss all 180 odd issue I collected over those years (I was young and didn't really take care of them very well). This video made me lament a little, like a lot of us in our mid-late 20s and early 30s our childhoods just seem to be getting smaller and smaller every year.

Frost27

Good news everyone!
Jun 3, 2011
Fenris Frost said:
Bob's right. It's good to see that consumer culture hasn't become a horrific, bloated mass; a foul god the Western world venerate alternative to or sometimes comorbid with organised religion. It's also nice to see people mourn for such a magazine. The gravity and solemnity was not bordering on the obscene. I do hope Nintendo don't go under as a consequence, being a charitable venture for the good of children everywhere and all. But seriously, this is grotesque.
WELL. Somebody is bitter because mom wouldn't pay for a subscription.

TWEWER

Feb 8, 2009
You're too close to the subject you're talking about. You're making wild justifications for how messed up it is to influence impressionable children into spending all their money on worthless stuff. If you take a step back and look at the situation from the outside, you'd be singning a different tune.

By the way, it's funny how even the captcha for the forum is an advertisement.

SnakeoilSage

Sep 20, 2011
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
SnakeoilSage said:
That's one hell of a bombshell to drop on a kid, it affected me more than the death of Superman (seriously, who cared about Superman in the early 90's).
I read most of the Death and Return of Superman storyline back then, but pretty much only because my barber had them. He always kept some comics around with the magazines and newspapers, usually some subset of whichever Superman/Batman-related ones were current (but occasionally other stuff like Green Lantern too), presumably to keep kids entertained/quiet. I re-read the entire thing a few years ago in TPB form, and it's aged terribly. Not that I had thought it was amazing to begin with, but I hadn't remembered it being downright awful like that...
It is terrible. It was only noteworthy for the "death of superman" nonsense and what followed after was handled about as gracefully as your typical Spider-Man arc. Lots of dramatic shocks and then the writers just throw up their arms and say "just kidding!"

Considering Doomsday's powers, though, I'm convinced this whole idea grew from a "Superman vs. the Hulk" script that no one was ready to run with, because at the time the Hulk wasn't big enough on the totem pole of Marvel characters to earn such a prestigious place. These days, maybe. I'd love to watch a live action Hulk/Superman rumble.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Caramel Frappe said:
We shall miss you Nintendo Power .. personally it has done a great service to society along with helping me get into Nintendo thus got into video games (especially with Pokemon Yellow, that set the deal with my love for video games overall). We'll truly wish you the best ... and hope you're doing okay Bob. Talk to me if otherwise (just offering support, this is quite moving after all).
Yeah Pokemon Yellow was the game that got me really into video games as well

And this was quite a moving video

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
hentropy said:
It's interesting how the deregulation of TV by Reagan in the 80s led to a bunch of things that were much more important in retrospect, such as the elimination of the fairness doctrine, which has made every hour of 24-hour news networks completely partisan opinion programming.
Oh, I don't know about that. CNN doesn't seem to have any particular bias. And by that I mean, everyone says it's biased, but Republicans say it's liberal and Democrats say it's conservative, so they're probably both reading bias into programming where there is none. Granted, CNN is also full of useless blather about stories nobody should care about, but the fairness doctrine wouldn't have prevented that anyway.

Besides, most of what passes for "fairness" on TV news is just giving a mouthpiece to whack jobs and treating it like a debate between two equally reasonable sides. "Some say it's wrong to go around lynching gay people. But others beg to differ! Let's hear what they have to say." I am only slightly exaggerating. And that's how it is now; imagine if they were all required by law to do that all the time.

Nalgas D. Lemur

Nov 20, 2009
SnakeoilSage said:
Nalgas D. Lemur said:
SnakeoilSage said:
That's one hell of a bombshell to drop on a kid, it affected me more than the death of Superman (seriously, who cared about Superman in the early 90's).
I read most of the Death and Return of Superman storyline back then, but pretty much only because my barber had them. He always kept some comics around with the magazines and newspapers, usually some subset of whichever Superman/Batman-related ones were current (but occasionally other stuff like Green Lantern too), presumably to keep kids entertained/quiet. I re-read the entire thing a few years ago in TPB form, and it's aged terribly. Not that I had thought it was amazing to begin with, but I hadn't remembered it being downright awful like that...
It is terrible. It was only noteworthy for the "death of superman" nonsense and what followed after was handled about as gracefully as your typical Spider-Man arc. Lots of dramatic shocks and then the writers just throw up their arms and say "just kidding!"

Considering Doomsday's powers, though, I'm convinced this whole idea grew from a "Superman vs. the Hulk" script that no one was ready to run with, because at the time the Hulk wasn't big enough on the totem pole of Marvel characters to earn such a prestigious place. These days, maybe. I'd love to watch a live action Hulk/Superman rumble.
Yeah, the entire thing is a mess looking at it now after having read so much more stuff that's actually good in the 20 years since then. I could easily believe that it came from a Superman/Hulk story or was at least inspired by someone's idea for one, but judging by how they handled it that wouldn't've turned out well at the time either. I also forgot how much I hated the art style they used for stuff like that back then.

Really the only reason it sits on my shelf with all my other stuff is as a reminder to myself of why I generally don't read or buy anything that's part of mainstream DC/Marvel continuity anymore, because while most of it is far better than that, there's really something to be said for self-contained stories that don't have to worry about decades of history or the dozens of other books currently being published. Every now and then there's something like Superman: Secret Identity to remind me that miracles happen even with the major characters.

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
I'm probably one of the very few that is glad that Nintendo Power is dead.

Not that I should be but Nintendo Power was the first place I was exposed to offensive fanboyism. If you wanted a game that wasn't on N64 instead of the magazine stating "yeah we'd like that too" it went in a more dirty direction & just declared those games were bad.

By the time Game Cube came along I had became a Disgruntled Nintendo Fanboy. My last Nintendo System was my Game Boy Advance before I ended up quitting gaming as a whole.

I didn't return to Gaming till I could buy Steel Battalion: Line Of Contact. But that had more to do with Giant Robots then the urge to get back into gaming. And even then I felt like I was betraying Nintendo despite Nintendo Power's attitude that it didn't need or want me as a consumer.

So yeah I'm glad that the Fox News version of Nintendo is dead.

-

On a brighter note I don't want Nintendo to die. Deep down that still scares me. Even if their newer Hardware doesn't appeal to me at all I want Nintendo to live.

Ritchian

Wait, what?
Jul 29, 2009
That was pretty much my reaction to hearing Nintendo Power was closing up shop.

I subscribed to Nintendo Power as a kid and looked forward to reading it cover to cover every month. It was the first magazine that I subscribed to independently of my parents and only dropped my subscription when I found myself no longer possessing a Nintendo console, but it was a big part of my childhood and helped kindle my love of gaming as much as anything else at the time. I read some of the issues to the point where the covers ripped off. I kind of regret having thrown my collection out at the request of my parents when we moved at one point. Despite it being the blatent pay-to-read advertisement that it was, it is a shame to see it go.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I 'll miss NP. I used to subscribe when I was in middle school, when the N64 was still called dolphin.

Also, can anyone tell me what is the thing at 3:40-3:42 from? I have a giant toy of it, like a foot tall, and a giant green tentacle monster one too. I remember there was a giant skeleton one too, and it was from a movie I rented when I was probably 5. I have literally no idea wtf it is, but I have never thought of selling it lol.

They have plastic parts on the top of their heads that let light through and makes their fangs/horns glow. I'm sure they are probably highly collectable, but wtf are they?

leviadragon99

Jun 17, 2010
I hear ya, while I never had access to Nintendo power (and despite the company bias/ownership/whatever for better or worse right there in the title) I can recognise its importance... heck, there was an Australian gaming mag called Hyper that did something similar for me for a time, and now I just can't find it. I don't even have the closure of knowing that it ceased publication, this was around the time of the Borders crash and it could be that it's still out there somewhere...

jmarquiso

Nov 21, 2009
What I wrote at the MovieBob blog -

Oddly enough - Bob - and this would make a great Big Picture...

The thing about Hasbro produced children's TV is that they had one directive - showcase a single character per episode. Why? Every kid had their favorite toy. It would be wrong to make that kid feel like their favorite is excluded.

The result was more sophisticated storytelling, to the point that many on those staffs went on to notable television where focusing on characters is key - you know, Lost, BSG, Babylon 5, etc? Notice how they're all heavily serialized shows that put spotlights on different characters per episode? It's no wonder JMS and Joss Whedon come from the world of animation.

Incidentally, this was another cause of the reaction to the Transformers movie / Death of Optimus Prime, and the subsequent rewriting of the GI Joe movie to have Duke in a Coma rather than die. Further, GI Joe planned on killing off Duke first, and the neighboring room at Transformers stole the idea.